PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Thanksgiving at Disney...

valjane
06-01-2007, 01:53 PM
So, after thinking that this would be my first year ever with no Disney vacation (huge tax bill a few months ago, buying our first house next month, general brokeness).... we've decided to take a short 4 day trip over Thanksgiving (Nov. 21-24). :D

This is the one holiday we've never been to Disney. What's it like?

I'm curious about the crowds, the weather.... are Christmas decorations up yet? We have been at Christmas for the past 5 years, so it would be sort of nice to hear all the normal music in the parks rather than Christmas carols (not that I dislike Christmas music, but I miss the old stuff!!)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Strmchsr
06-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanksgiving weather is extremely unpredictable. It can be 80 or 40. No way of knowing right now.

Crowds are pretty big. Definitely have a plan and use fastpass. However, if you've been doing Christmas Thanksgiving won't seem too bad.

Christmas decorations will be up. MVMCP and Osborne Lights both start mid-November so things will be done by then, or at least the vast majority of stuff. You'll have to deal with the Christmas music again. :santa:

nadisnut
06-01-2007, 07:06 PM
:number1:
We have been during Thanksgiving, and it didn't seem crowded, the weather was pleasant, but not swimming weather by far, Christmas decorations were beautiful. If you're thinking of having Thanksgiving Dinner, my recommendation is the Liberty Tree Tavern, yumm! Served family style
Have a wonderful trip!!!
:D

valjane
06-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks!

I'm kinda disappointed to hear that Christmas stuff will already be going on, but it's beautiful anyway, so I guess I can deal. ;)

We have lunch reservations for Thanksgiving Day at Trail's End- we ate there for Christmas a few years ago and really liked it (the special holiday buffet along with the usual offerings). Still thinking about something for Thanksgiving dinner, though! Preferably a resort since we're not planning on any parks for that day.

I guess since we're so used to dealing with Christmas crowds, Thanksgiving won't be a big change.

:)

Jasper
06-02-2007, 11:45 PM
The crowds from the day before Thanksgiving (Wednesday) through the following Saturday, and also sometimes Sunday, can be pretty brutal. Prior to that or after that the crowds are not too bad. As for weather, most of the time it is comfortable for doing the parks but not normally the best for swimming.

The Christmas decorations are all up starting about the Saturday or Sunday before Thanksgiving. However, even though they are up, many of them are not turned on until Thanksgiving day or the day after. However, the Osbourne lights are usually up and lit from that Saturday or Sunday before and continuing through Christmas.

If you there is any chance of moving your trip so that it does not match the time from the Wednesday before Thanksgiving through the Saturday after Thanksgiving you will find it too be much nicer. Despite having said that, if that is the only time you can go, I can certainly think of worse times to go.

valjane
06-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I have a feeling the crowds will be pretty bad. But, as a teacher, I can't really go at off times, so I'm kind of stuck!

This is going to be a more relaxed trip, though. We're not as concerned with getting to ride everything (been there done that); we just want to be at Disney!!