PDA

View Full Version : Say what you want, I like it anyway....

Marker
06-01-2007, 12:10 PM
I was just reading the thread "Things to avoid / Waste of time? ". As I read the list of attractions that seem to commonly avoided I couldn't help but notice several that are favorites of mine, or at least that I enjoy.

Hall Of Presidents - not one I visit every time, but I ALWAYS enjoy it when I do. After all these years, I'm still in awe of the animatronics. I get a kick out of the interaction and movements of various "presidents" while they are not in the spot light. And for me it it's a real patriotic feel good moment.

Liberty Square Riverboat - again, not one I ride every time. But I find it to be a relaxing jouney. Find a good spot on the rail, or a nice seat, and take a breather. Not every minute of my WDW experience needs to be a "thrill a minute". Sure, I've been on "real" boats, but this is an enjoyable moment nonetheless.

Golden Horseshoe - I know, this isn't open any longer so apparently not enough people found it worthy of their time. But I really enjoyed the show, and the moment to sit, relax, laugh and take an air-conditioned break.

Various Country Movies in World Showcase - I don't always stop to watch, but when I do I enjoy them. They don't have great "come back" appeal, but for me they're just kind of part of the experience and it feels a bit incomplete to skip them.

Ian
06-01-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm with you, Mark. I find there are very few things (Stitch, JIYI, Swiss Family Treehouse, and Fantasmic being the notable exceptions) at WDW that I flat out don't like.

There are many things (like the ones you listed above) that I might skip for a few trips, but once I go back and do them again I always enjoy them.

dixielandings
06-01-2007, 12:39 PM
I think it depends on the individual level of nostalgia. I'll ride or see just about anything - not just the things I think are the most thrilling or the most impressive. POTC is a good example these days - it's not the most thrilling ride of all time but who can deny the Show quality of this attraction as well as its historical significance? It'd be difficult for me to consider a Disney trip complete w/out a spin through the Caribbean. I feel the same about the Swiss Family Treehouse, IASW, Spaceship Earth, most of the Epcot films (France is my favorite), and many others.

I totally agree with your list. Some things I've just gotten around to doing for the first time after MANY WDW trips - like the Riverboat. I love it that there are still things there I've not done!

The one biggie I've never done to this day: Dumbo. I figure now I'll just wait until I have a child and his or her first ride on it will be mine too. All together now - "Aaawwww!"

cgriff
06-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Liberty Square Riverboat - again, not one I ride every time. But I find it to be a relaxing jouney. Find a good spot on the rail, or a nice seat, and take a breather. Not every minute of my WDW experience needs to be a "thrill a minute". Sure, I've been on "real" boats, but this is an enjoyable moment nonetheless.

Right-on, Marker!

Now that Mike Fink Keel Boats and Davey Crockett War Canoes are no longer plying the Rivers of America, The Liberty Belle paddlewheeler is the *only* way to view the :flame: Burning Settler's Cabin :flame: on the north end of Tom Sawyer's Island. Call me crazy, but that's a highlight of my trip for me.

One thing about the Liberty Belle that I'd like to have clarified... Is it true that it is the only ride in the park oh which you are permitted to eat? :pizza:

cgriff

disney100%
06-01-2007, 02:20 PM
I agree - Liberty Square Riverboat is one of my favorites. It is so relaxing. I was disappointed on our last trip when I found out it was being refurbished.

As for the Hall of Presidents, I really enjoy that too. If we happen to miss it on a trip, we make a point to see it the next time.

mm59
06-01-2007, 02:29 PM
There are many rides and attractions that may not be favorites,but if you go back at a time in the future it may have changed. We have been on most if not all of them over the years. We still go back to our un favorites and find them better than we remembered, or completly new :mickey:

k_reile
06-01-2007, 04:17 PM
the one i always have to go to is the carosel of progress...don't know why but its been my favorite since my 1st trip....must be one of the only things that I really remember from that 1st trip.

GrmGrninGost
06-01-2007, 04:40 PM
If I make a list of my favorites, it would have to include Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Liberty Belle and several of the Epcot WS movies. I like things that are nostalgic and things I can learn from. I also like places I can relax and cool off in.:mickey:

wedway76
06-01-2007, 04:42 PM
This is a hard question because as other people said, people’s tastes are different. For example we never miss Ellen’s Universe of Energy, but I know a lot of people that hate it.

We basically have rides two attraction categories, those that we will wait for and those that we won’t wait a long time for. The ones that we won’t wait for we will ride if there is a short line but we don’t mind missing them completely if we never catch a small line.

That is exactly why I said this on the "Things to avoid / Waste of time? " thread. There are a lot of reasons why someone would like or dislike a ride or attraction. What "floats your boat" may be horrible to someone else.

mrsgaribaldi
06-01-2007, 05:48 PM
I love the Hall of Presidents:thumbsup:
I know they are not real but it gives me chills during the role call when they all stand up and how they have the little movements.:blush:

jaredkari
06-01-2007, 05:58 PM
I agree with you!! I love Hall of Presidents, COP, and Stitch. Yes, Stitch!! I don't really understand what everybody has against this attraction. I think it is way better than alien encounter. The special effects are really cool and I think the ride is well done. I know it stinks in there after Stitch burps but it is all part of the effects. :mickey:

Mickey91
06-01-2007, 10:43 PM
I haven't read the other thread. But, the one I love is Carousel of Progress. I was so annoyed last Dec. The CM running the ride acted like it was boring. Asked how many people had come for their afternoon nap! I personally think this is a charming ride and a way for the younger generations to keep in touch with how far we have come in a very short time. And after all..There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every Day!:mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
06-02-2007, 02:42 PM
We never miss a chance to do attractions like COP, HoP, American Adventure or the TTA (we still call it the WEDWAY :blush:) any more than we would skip the thrill rides.

moe513
06-02-2007, 04:16 PM
I love the Hall Of President. It gives me chills. They look so real.

septembergirl
06-02-2007, 05:16 PM
the one i always have to go to is the carosel of progress...don't know why but its been my favorite since my 1st trip....must be one of the only things that I really remember from that 1st trip.

I feel the same. We quote it so often! It's just fun to watch. The fact that is "outdated" makes it even better to me because of the nostalgia aspect. It reminds me of a museum exhibit and I am a museum person.:thumbsup:

jillluvsdisney
06-02-2007, 05:26 PM
I agree so much with the original poster. When I go to MK, those are attractions I always do with my mother. HOP is her favorite. It makes us feel patriotic. I really miss the Diamond Horseshore Revue. We'll have to check out Laugh Floor when we go this November. The movie in France is also a favorite of mine. The music alone is worth it. I even have parts of it in my IPOD.

LudwigVonDrake
06-02-2007, 07:46 PM
It's a Small World

It gets a bad rap but I have to ride it at least once during my trip.

The Carousel of Progress

A Walt original that deserves to play forever.

Morpheous
06-02-2007, 08:29 PM
I like to try and ride and see everything at least once when I go to any disney Theme Park. Exept something like Dumbo and what not, we dont have any little ones with us so we dont.

What Im wondering is why do so many people dislike Stitches Great Escape? Maybe I dont see the problem with it because I was never able to experience the attraction that was there before. But I really liked Lilo and Stitch, and think Stitches Great Escape is a pretty fun experience. Though I really enjoyed Its tough to be a bug!, and Honey I shrunk the audience!. Anyways Just curious as to why so many dislike it. :)

TheRustyScupper
06-03-2007, 11:20 AM
1) We ride everything.
2) But, let's face it, personal taste does apply.
3) People will love their favorites.
4) They will also detest their least favorites.

NOTE: We don't do RnRC, but this is a case of motion sickness versus like/dislike. We could ride it, but the folks in front of us might be displeased with deposits on the back of their polos. LOL

princessimagineer
06-03-2007, 11:37 AM
i cant go to WDW without riding TTA. its usually the first thing me and my sister run to. yeah its pathetic but i just love it anyway. (paging mr morrow, mr tom morrow)

same with COP. i just LOVE it.

as for HOP. if i miss it i dont realy care, but i think if i heard they were getting rid of it, i would get mad. im not entirely a history buff but as many people sayed, seeing all the presidents in that form just gives me chills. (something i always wondered was if that realy was what george washington's voice sounded like)

Jeff
06-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Mark - I like all mentioned on your list.
I really enjoy the Riverboat and my family misses the Diamond Horshoe Revue very much. It was a great spot to go for a light lunch, cool off and have some fun entertainment!

jefmblrd
06-03-2007, 11:52 AM
I like to try and ride and see everything at least once when I go to any disney Theme Park.

I have always been an advocate of this-try everything once (unless of course health reasons restrict you) and make up your own mind.

Having said that I love attractions like the HoP, the riverboat, CoP, TTA and on and on.

This past April we rode Everest for the first time and loved it. Monsters Inc Laughfloor was fun and enjoyable, The Nemo Musical was a great show-all of these we will be sure to hit on our next trip.

On the other hand we saw Lights, Motors, Action Stunt show and couldn't have been more bored. We contemplated leaving during the show but wanted to give it a fair shot. We did and didn't like it, so we won't go back.

There are other attractions like Sounds Dangerous, Swiss Family Treehouse, Tiki Birds and some others that we don't usually ride or see, but we saw them and made up our own minds about them.

DisneyNut2005
06-03-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't care how much the newest attractions are hated so much, such as Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management, Stitch's Great Escape, The Seas with Nemo and Friends, Gran Fiesta Tour, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, the updated Pirates of the Caribbean and so on and so forth.

I love them all. They're great and highly entertaining. And I'll never understand why everyone loves to pick on the new stuff just for the sake of it. It's like picking on the new kid at school just because he/she is new and some people can't seem to handle change or comprehend that certain things had to change to maintain interest from the majority. After all, those of us on the Internet ARE in the minority.

I also hate it when certain long-running classics like Country Bear Jamboree get bad-mouthed. They, too, have their entertainment value, after all.

I know I'm going to most likely be pelted with flack for expressing how I feel, so go right ahead and do it.

EmiB
06-03-2007, 12:09 PM
I also used to enjoy the Golden Horseshoe.

And I NEVER miss Ellen's Energy Adventure or the country films (Canada + France = awesomeness).
The Canada song is so borderline cheesy that no matter when I hear it, it cheers me up right away!

However, I find I usually end up skipping Liberty Square...not because I don't enjoy it, but rather I tend to barrel right through it to get to the Haunted Mansion.:hmghost:

hubbyofadisneyholic
06-03-2007, 08:43 PM
There are many of us that simply feel the new versions of some attractions are not as entertaining as the originals were.
It is clearly a matter of personal preference, so there is no need to be defensive about those preferences on either side.

Exactly 1 week from now we will be in the air on our way to WDW!!!!:thumbsup: