PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with Intercot (June 2007)

disneydrmr
06-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Well... here we are.. warm summer days and nights are now here! This month why don't we try to share some of our favorite summer recipes.. you know - the ones that don't heat up your kitchen.. the ones you prepare on your grill... the awesome salads and even those refreshing summery beverages! And while we are at it.. seeing as how swim suits are now able to be worn, how about sharing some of our favorite "get your body ready for showing off" recipes....

Mickey'sGirl
06-01-2007, 10:28 AM
This is a recipe I massaged to suit my son for his birthday a couple of weeks ago. Easy and really really tasty. :eat:

Updated Surf and Turf (based on a recipe in June's LIVING magazine)

8 Large Shrimp -- peel ON, deveined
4 Large Scallops
1 lb sausage (pre-steamed or boiled and cut into wedges)
2 cobs corn cut into 8 1" discs
3 Tbls fresh chopped oregano
1 Tbl fresh chopped flat parsley
kosher salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
1/2 cup olive oil
4 skewers (presoaked for 30 minutes)
lemon wedges for serving

Toss together fresh herbs, salt, pepper and olive oil in a large zip loc bag. Add the shrimp and scallops and corn discs. Smudge them around, and let rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Start your skewer with one sausage wedge, then a corn disc, then a shrimp, then a scallop, then a shrimp, then a corn disc, then a sausage wedge. Set aside, and make 3 more just like it.

Barbeque on med-high heat for about 4 minutes per side (until the shrimp are cooked). Serve on salad greens with some crusty bread and the lemon wedges. :thumbsup:

disneydrmr
06-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Here's a nice easy trifle dessert to go with Jenn's surf and turf! :D

5 Minute Trifle

2 cups cold milk
1 package (3.4oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 loaf (10 3/4 oz) frozen pound cake, thawed
3 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) raspberries
Whipped topping and additional raspberries

In a bowl, whisk together milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Cut the cake into 1 inch cubes; place in a 2 quart glass bowl. Top with the raspberries and pudding. Cover and refridgerate until serving. Garnish with whipped topping and additional raspberries.

JanetMegan
06-01-2007, 01:15 PM
How can it be trifle with no ground beef in it??

(ROTFLOL-sorry I couldn't resist!)

disneydrmr
06-01-2007, 02:18 PM

:confused::confused::confused: Am I missing something?

alphamommy
06-01-2007, 02:18 PM

Hillarious - thanks for giving me a smile!!! :mickey:

offwego
06-01-2007, 05:07 PM
:confused::confused::confused: Am I missing something?

A friends episode.

What about greek style pasta salad?

I love it with Penne.

1/2 cup or more crumbled feta
Two-three chopped fresh tomatoes
1/2 green pepper chopped
(olives if you like)
1/2 seedless cucumber
Pasta (lb) of your choice
aprox 1/4 olive oil (extra virgin)
Half that (or more if you like it sharper) in red wine vinegar. (cider is on ok sub in)
Squeeze of lemon
salt pepper (not much salt either)
oregeno pinch dried
If you like spicy add a pinch of red pepper flakes.

JanetMegan
06-04-2007, 08:13 AM
There was a Friend's episode when Rachael made a trifle but her cookbook page flipped over so it was half trifle (jam, ladyfingers etc.) and half shepard's pie (beef, peas etc.) Probably my single most favorite Friends episode ever ;)

MsMin
06-04-2007, 11:49 AM
This is one of our summer favorites. It's quick and easy, can sit in the pot a while (if kids are swimming) or freezes well. It's my grandmother's recipe so it's a combination of Italian and Creole cooking from N.O. It's pretty standard and a N.O. classic and not like many of our fried foods.
Shrimp Creole
2 lb. Shrimp clean ,drained
1 can of tomatoes, diced
water
cooking oil (enough on bottom of pot to saute' veggies)
1 large onion
1 can tomato sauce
1 med green pepper, chopped or quartered 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
sugar to taste(to remove any bitter flavor from the tomatoes)
3 lg stalks celery, chopped
2 bay leaves
Worchestershire sauce to taste
parsley chopped (about 1 tsp)
Salt and pepper to taste
Cayenne to taste (we like it hot but it can be omitted)
Saute onion, celery and green pepper till transparent. Add tomato and diced tomato, bay leaves, worchestershire, salt pepper, garlic and simmer until vegetables are cooked. Add shrimp for the last 15 min. (so they won’t be over cooked). Serve over white rice. Enjoy with sliced French Bread.

disneydrmr
06-05-2007, 02:54 PM
There was a Friend's episode when Rachael made a trifle but her cookbook page flipped over so it was half trifle (jam, ladyfingers etc.) and half shepard's pie (beef, peas etc.) Probably my single most favorite Friends episode ever ;)

I guess I need to borrow my sister's Dvds of Friends and start watching...

Here's a recipe for a WONDERFUL Mexican Chicken Salad... as always I did not follow the recipe exact.. I'll print it as the 'true' recipe says then tell you what I did...

1/3 cup mayo
1/3 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons taco seasoning
1 cooked, chopped chicken breast

Combine all ingredients. Chill for up to 24 hours then serve in warm taco shells.

Now.. here's what I did... I took 3 chicken breasts and cooked them, chopped them up. Then I sprinkled it with about 1/2 the packet of taco seasoning mix. Then added 3 large spoonfulls of mayo and sour cream. Drizzled it with lime juice... omitted the cilantro. Mixed it all up then adjusted per my taste (I added extra lime juice and a bit more taco seasoning.) I made up a tossed salad and put the chicken salad on top of it.. adding tomatoes, then sprinkling with shredded mexican blend cheese, and topping it with taco sauce (my dh used salsa)... YUM!

disneydeb
06-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Here's one that is low cal, easy, quick and cool for summer!

Seedless grapes washed and patted dry.
1 packet sugar-free kool aid any flavor.
Put grapes and kool-aid in ziplock bag and shke gently.
Freeze.

Thaw 10 minutes and serve.

DisneyDudet
06-10-2007, 09:49 PM
I've been trying to perfect this over the last few weeks....

Morgan's Spicy Baked Ziti

Boil 1lb penne pasta. Do not overcook. It would be best to undercook, as you are baking it later.

In a med. sausepan, simmer on low heat, about 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and one tablespoon of fresh diced or minced garlic (you can get them out of a jar and reuse... I'd say thats pretty fresh). Simmer until garlic is golden brown. Stir in one jar of pasta sauce of choice. I like Classico Spicy Tomato and Basil, but any will do.

Once sauce is warm, add teaspoon of chili powder and tablespoon of crushed red pepper. Stir and heat sauce further. Add more of each spice to taste. Remember, it will get hotter as the baking goes, so don't make it exact just yet.

Once sauce is to taste, place pasta and most of sauce in casserole dish. Sprinkle some mozzerella cheese into mixture (not too much, it will get too cheesy). Once mixed, layer rest of sauce on top of pasta and cover with layer of mozzerella cheese.

Bake at 350º for 20-30 min, or until the edges of pasta are crispy and cheese is melted.

It seems complicated, but once you do it one time, its great!

I'm working on getting my lemon pepper chicken just right. Maybe by July!!

January-2007
06-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Does anyone have a good cole slaw dressing recipe? I've finally gotten back into cooking, yay! I still don't know where everything is since we moved, but my DH is thrilled that I'm actually doing stuff from scratch again.

I have half a bag of cole slaw veggies, you know, just the shredded cabbage and carrots mix. I used the first half of the bag the other night in chop suey, and I would love to be able to use the rest of it for cole slaw, but I don't know where my cook books are all at right now so I'm kind of at a loss on the dressing. I think we have everything for it more or less.. We have miracle whip, vinegar, salt, pepper, what else is in it, I don't know?

The cole slaw mix is on sale for a dollar so if I could get a great recipe for the dressing I'll probably pick up another bag, it's so nice to have something cold ready when DH comes home from work all hot from being outside.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out with this!

disneydrmr
06-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Here's a creamy cole slaw dressing recipe...

1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons unsweetened pineapple juice
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Just whip it all together...

Then here's another one that has vinegar in it...

1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
salt, to taste

Good luck!

offwego
06-12-2007, 03:32 PM
With coleslaw you can go funky or not. Honey and mustard are nice. just a tablespoon or so of either.
Poppy seeds work too maye a teaspoon.

January-2007
06-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Okay, after the first reply I ran to the kitchen to see what I could muster. We don't have any sour cream or pineapple juice, so that was out. Celery seeds... interesting. I don't have those either but whenever a recipe calls for those and salt, I use the next best thing, Celery Salt, which I do have! We don't have mayonnaise, only Miracle Whip, and I think that's sweeter than mayonnaise, so I didn't put any sugar in it. I mixed some Miracle Whip, apple cider vinegar, Celery Salt, pepper, add veggies, done! The celery flavor is great, thank you! I always add wierd spices to things so I didn't want to go overboard trying a little of everything, right? Not so much.

It's got a kick to it, I think DH will like it. My mom used to make her own dressing for cole slaw, I think she used red wine vinegar? She buys the refridgerated pre made kind now though. She's all about shortcuts now, doesn't cook hardly at all from scratch, they have so many mixes and frozen stuff. It's so much cheaper to make stuff yourself though. I was at the grocery store this morning with the jar of dressing she uses in my hand thinking, $3.49? Really? I think I can make it myself for cheaper.

We don't have any honey or poppyseeds. I don't think I've ever bought poppyseeds. I never thought of putting honey in cole slaw. That sounds interesting. It blends well or sticks out? Thanks for the tips, you gals are the best! And so fast to reply!

offwego
06-12-2007, 04:03 PM
We don't have any honey or poppyseeds. I don't think I've ever bought poppyseeds. I never thought of putting honey in cole slaw. That sounds interesting. It blends well or sticks out? Thanks for the tips, you gals are the best! And so fast to reply!

If your honey is not runny just measure it out and zap it for like a second or three in the micro it will then blend super easy. Mind you I have a little whisk I use and find if I put the honey in first then mix it with the vinegar I never have a problem.

If you run out of mayo/mirclewhip/sourcream I've often just used a oil/vinegar version using a blender and a tbls of dijon and honey each to about a 1/2 cup of oil (plain old veg) and 1/4 cup of vinegar but that's for a whole bag and a bit since I add chopped apples to this and peppers.

January-2007
06-12-2007, 04:16 PM
I have a question about squash and zuccini. Do you peel it or leave the skin on? Do you cut off any blemishes or just keep it all intact? And red potatoes, do you peel off the imperfections or just cut up as is? There's a little roadside market right near my husband's shop that has locally grown produce, and I'd like to take advantage of that while the weather's nice. I've only bought frozen squash and zuccini because I didn't know if I was supposed to peel it or what to do with it. I've made pasta dishes with it, do you all have any recipes with simple ingredients for squash, zuccini, or any other summer fruit or vegetable that your family just loves?

offwego
06-12-2007, 04:22 PM
I don't peel squash (assuming you mean summer squash that looks like zuchinni but is yellow). I cut it up in pasta sauce or stir fries or use it raw with dips. Also saute with eggplant too. I also when the zuchinni get bigger make a zuchini paremeasan.

As to the new red potatoes I don't peel them but would cut out an area I don't like. I like those roasted with some garlic. Or "smashed" mashed a little with the skins still on. Very yummy with buttermilk.

disneydrmr
06-12-2007, 04:32 PM
I agree with Nat... all the recipes I've ever seen with squash has the peel left on. And I also would peel off/cut out the imperfections on my potatoes (or any veggie)... I LOVE to just get all the fresh veggies.. tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers (red, yellow and green), red onion, etc... and just toss them in a light vinegrate or a light dressing. You can also throw all those wonderful summer veggies in with some cooked pasta and again toss it with dressing. YUM!

January-2007
06-12-2007, 05:03 PM
With the potatoes I know if there is a piece that looks bad to cut it off but I mean like all the "eye" type indents in the potatoes, I see them left alone on cooking shows so I guess that's what I was wondering about, silly question I guess. Whenever I would pick up a squash (and yes, you guessed it, summer squash was what I was talking about) I would look at DH, he would look at me, we wouldn't know what to do with it, and we'd leave it at the store. They were always so waxy at the grocery store that's why I was wondering if you were supposed to peel them. That's why we just bought the frozen kind a few times. Now I want to try to cook with the fresh kinds more because I can get them without the waxy coating they put on them at the grocery store. I think at least, since they are locally grown. We're living more in the country now, so this is a definate perk. It just seems strange for the vegetables and such to have that coating on them. I know it makes them last longer, but it still just seems a bit off.

We eat mostly vegetarian at home so veggie recipes are always great. Eggplant is another thing I've never bought to make fresh. My mom never did so maybe that's why, I've never had first hand experience with it. On the cooking shows I used to watch on PBS they would do all these wierd things to the cut eggplant, like put salt on the slices then leave in a collander to let the water escape and then wash them with water and dry with paper towel. Seems like a lot to do just as prep work, do you do all that? I love eggplant parmesan and I make my own marinara sauce so it'd be pretty easy I guess if I could just try to make it.

:rocks:

offwego
06-12-2007, 05:26 PM
the weird eggplant stuff isn't hard.

Slice it as thick as you need/want it to be. Sprinkle with kosher salt (ok that's my pref but I'm typing of course) and leave to drain for aprox 20-25 minutes.

then rinse, dry and use as you would chicken. Zuchinni or summer squash can also be used, slice on a slant to get bigger slices.

January-2007
06-12-2007, 05:57 PM
I don't have kosher salt, I only have regular salt, does that matter? Is there a great advantage to cooking with kosher salt?

When y'all make eggplant (or whatever other..) parmesan what do you like to coat it with? Bread crumbs? Cracker crumbs? Flour? When I make chicken parmesan I usually just coat it with flour and lightly saute it in a little olive oil and then add some fresh pasta sauce to the pan to deglaze it before serving over some kind of noodles. My frying pans don't have lids so I use the lid to my Dutch oven to melt the cheese, just holding it over the pan for a minute or so usually does the trick.

Do you have any suggestions for meals that can be prepared ahead of time? My DH works a lot so I never know quite when dinner time is going to be, therefore it's hard to plan meals. Any tips on good things to make ahead that are fast to serve?

bibbidiboo3
06-12-2007, 08:22 PM
I don't have kosher salt, I only have regular salt, does that matter? Is there a great advantage to cooking with kosher salt?

My brother is a chef and he prefers kosher salt over regular salt. If you can get it, use it. The flavor is better and you should notice the difference.:)

MissStyles
06-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Hello fellow cooks! I have an extremely easy recipe to share. Anyone who loves
macaroni and cheese/grilled cheese/tomato soup or any combo of the above
will love this. Did I mention it’s simple? There’s only 3 ingredients:

Pasta of your choice (I always use whole wheat and either shells or rotini,
you can get creative with the shapes though)

Shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 Can of tomato soup

Preheat oven to 350. Cook the pasta al dente, drain and place in a casserole dish.
Mix in about 1/3 cup of cheese so it starts to melt all throughout the pasta.
Warm soup with one can
of water on the stove, pour over pasta/cheese mixture and mix together. Sprinkle
as much cheese as you like on top and cover with foil. Bake for 20 min and then
uncover and put under the broiler for 2-5 minutes to get the cheese nice and crispy
on top.

Comforting and delicious! Here is a picture I once took of it. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/emilystyles/yes072.jpg)

disneydrmr
06-13-2007, 03:58 PM
There’s only 3 ingredients:

Pasta of your choice (I always use whole wheat and either shells or rotini,
you can get creative with the shapes though)

Shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 Can of tomato soup

Preheat oven to 350. Cook the pasta al dente, drain and place in a casserole dish.
Mix in about 1/3 cup of cheese so it starts to melt all throughout the pasta.
Warm soup with one can
of water on the stove, pour over pasta/cheese mixture and mix together. Sprinkle
as much cheese as you like on top and cover with foil. Bake for 20 min and then
uncover and put under the broiler for 2-5 minutes to get the cheese nice and crispy
on top.

Comforting and delicious! Here is a picture I once took of it. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/emilystyles/yes072.jpg)

WOW! THat sounds and looks wonderful! I"m gonna try it on my next week's menu! (if not sooner!)

offwego
06-14-2007, 09:04 AM

When y'all make eggplant (or whatever other..) parmesan what do you like to coat it with? Bread crumbs? Cracker crumbs? Flour? When I make chicken parmesan I usually just coat it with flour and lightly saute it in a little olive oil and then add some fresh pasta sauce to the pan to deglaze it before serving over some kind of noodles. My frying pans don't have lids so I use the lid to my Dutch oven to melt the cheese, just holding it over the pan for a minute or so usually does the trick.

Do you have any suggestions for meals that can be prepared ahead of time? My DH works a lot so I never know quite when dinner time is going to be, therefore it's hard to plan meals. Any tips on good things to make ahead that are fast to serve?
Kosher salt is flakier and as it is not iodized it doesn't have a tinny back taste to it. It's much easier to sprinkle over a dish like you see them doing on the Food network as well.

Depending on what I'm doing I normally use a mix of breadcrumbs with some parm grated in. You could go really overboard and do the whole, flour, egg, crumb thing but I normally just do the egg and crumb bit. To "save it" for a late running dh you can then stick it in a casserole dish and put tomato sauce around it then the cheese and keep it in a low oven.

Mickey'sGirl
06-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Do you have any suggestions for meals that can be prepared ahead of time? My DH works a lot so I never know quite when dinner time is going to be, therefore it's hard to plan meals. Any tips on good things to make ahead that are fast to serve? What about Couscous? You can buy whole wheat couscous at the grocery store, and add fresh zucchini and carrots and onions and tomatoes for a really really really tasty dish (simple recipes are right on the package). :eat:

Kosher salt is flakier and as it is not iodized it doesn't have a tinny back taste to it. It's much easier to sprinkle over a dish like you see them doing on the Food network as well. I use Kosher salt UNLESS I need it to be finer ... like for baking. You will notice the difference if you switch... Now I am hungry. Thank you all very much. :D

MsMin
06-14-2007, 10:02 AM
When I cook eggplant I often just fry it in olive oil. You have to fry it and leave it on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. When I bread them I use fresh grated french bread then top them with a "plain red gravy" as we refer to it down here. I just put a little veg.oil in the pan saute about 4 cloves of garlic and add whole tomatoes- you can put a little basil too if you like. We have different tomato sauces depending on what you are serving sort of like a wine. The sauce w/ onion is for red meats ;)
I have a great casserole for the yellow crookneck squash. We often slice it sometimes I boil it w/ a little onion and add butter-- it's our summer candy. My girls and I can have just that for dinner (though you don't get your proper nutrition)
2 lbs yellow squash 1 roll Ritz crackers
2 tbl minced onion 8 oz. Cheddar cheese
2 tbl butter
Slice and boil squash, drain, add butter and set aside. In a large baking dish combine squash, crushed crackers, onions and half of the grated cheese, mix well. Top with remaining cheese, bake at 350 until cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.
We love it!

MsMin
06-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Here are some of my favorite Eggplant recipes :D
Eggplant Rolls
4 med Eggplants
1 lg Ricotta
2 eggs
1 lg can crushed tomatoes
sm can whole tomatoes
Parmesan Cheese
½ c. Mozzarella grated
Clove garlic
Pine Nuts Toasted (Optional)
Fresh Basil Chopped
Soak eggplants (slices) in salt water then dry. Grill or fry slightly eggplant slices set aside. Make red gravy -tomatoes and garlic, set aside. In a large bowl beat 2 eggs. Mix in ricotta and 2-3 tbl of Parmesan, ½ c. mozzarella chopped basil, pine nuts and garlic.
Lay out eggplant slices and put a scoop of ricotta mixture in center and fold eggplant slices and put in a baking dish (that has been slightly greased w/ olive oil) Top eggplant bundles with read gravy. Sprinkle w/ Parmesan cheese and bake in 350 oven til heated through.
Capanta - Eggplant appetizer

eggplants cut into 2" cubes
1 lb Grn Sicilian olives, split, pitted. (not spanish)
1 medium head of garlic
¼ lb or jar capers
8 oz olive oil
1 can Italian tomato sauce
1 whole celery chopped fine
1 can plum tomatoes chopped
½ c sugar
1- 2 c red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Make a plain Italian tomato sauce.(just garlic and tomatoes) Pour olive oil in a sauce pan, slice the garlic and lightly brown in the hot olive oil. Add the cooking tomato sauce, salt and pepper to taste and cook for 15 minutes. Boil the chopped celery in water for 10 minutes. wash and drain the eggplants drain and fry in olive oil until slightly brown, add in the drained cooked celery. Drain off the excess oil, put in a large pot add in the tomato sauce, cook for 20 minutes, add in the salt, pepper and sugar. Finally add in the vinegar, then olives and capers stir and cook until uniformly hot. Let cool.

January-2007
06-14-2007, 10:40 AM
The Ritz cracker and squash dish sounds like something my mom used to make us when we were little and just loved. I am definately trying that.

A quick question about dishes. I don't do the dishes, I cook, and my husband does the dishes. He says that baked on cheese or even just melted on cheese is impossible to get off pans and corningware and everything else we have. The last time I cooked with cheese he told me he had to throw out the sponge because it got all gross and would have to throw out all the sponges after cleaning something with cheese one time. Our dishwasher is not very good so everything has to be a little "pre-washed" before it goes in. Does anybody have any tips for getting cheese off the dishes? I stopped cooking with cheese after he told me this because I think it's a terrible waste of money to throw out sponges like this. I think he's just not wanting to do the dishes so he's being difficult about it, wanting me to do them instead. Even if I did, what would be a good approach to removing melted on or baked on cheese? He soaks them in hot water and dish soap but still has a hard time with them. Any advice?

I'm just full of questions, aren't I?

MsMin
06-14-2007, 11:18 AM
I would either clean it when it's still warm or soak it. You could always try covering the pan w/ foil too to keep the pan cleaner but that can be a waste also. Maybe spray it w/ a little "pam" or coat it w/ cooking oil. Personally, I soak the pan and usually use corningware.

offwego
06-15-2007, 09:41 AM
What about Couscous? You can buy whole wheat couscous at the grocery store, and add fresh zucchini and carrots and onions and tomatoes for a really really really tasty dish (simple recipes are right on the package). :eat:
I use Kosher salt UNLESS I need it to be finer ... like for baking. You will notice the difference if you switch... Now I am hungry. Thank you all very much. :D
I normally use the kosher even in baking..I've been known to whiz it a little if I need to however. (Saves having two things of normal salt) But I do have hawaian salt and black salt does that count?

. Does anybody have any tips for getting cheese off the dishes? I stopped cooking with cheese after he told me this because I think it's a terrible waste of money to throw out sponges like this. I think he's just not wanting to do the dishes so he's being difficult about it, wanting me to do them instead. Even if I did, what would be a good approach to removing melted on or baked on cheese? He soaks them in hot water and dish soap but still has a hard time with them. Any advice?

I'm just full of questions, aren't I?
A plastic scrubby works for this and won't get gummy. Also soaking it asap makes a big difference.

TheMartellFamily
06-16-2007, 03:33 PM
I would like some really easy recipes for me to make that only require a few ingredences as for I broke my foot and can not drive to the grocery store. They have to be things that would be in the pantry. Since I can not stand long they need to be easier the better. Thanks for all the help.

offwego
06-18-2007, 09:16 AM
sorry to hear about your foot!

Pasta salad can really be your friend here as you can make a double batch with about the same amount of effort. Add in a can of tuna or a can of chicken or turkey for some protein and cheese.

also do "double duty" cooking such as a roast that then can be sliced the next day for sandwiches etc.

Consider faijitas for grocery day since you can buy sliced peppers and beef and shredded cheese. (use the leftover shredded cheese on baked potatoes with bacon or similiar for a simple main the next day).

Also consider baked beans and having someone grill some chicken or hotdogs to go with. Hope you feel better soon.

disneydrmr
06-18-2007, 10:14 AM
wow, I'm also sorry to hear about your foot. I agree with nat about the pasta dishes. Try making some angel hair pasta, cutting up a few pepperoni logs, adding in some cut up cucumbers, green peppers and cherry tomatoes.. then mix in some italian dressing.. makes a real nice cold pasta salad. And you can do the chopping sitting down so should be easy on your foot. You could also do cold cut sandwhiches with chips. Hope your foot heals quickly!

ghost999
06-25-2007, 09:24 AM
no recipes but i am gonna try these.:mickey:

Here we go again...
06-26-2007, 12:45 AM
I just wanted to chime in about the squash and zuchinni. I started buying it at the store and cooking it in a skillit prayed with Pam. Cut the squash pretty thin so it will cook quickly. Cook until vegies become transparent and add seasoning.
I use Pampered Chef's Rosemary seasoning sprinkled on top for added flavor, and a little salt.

It is a great way to get your veggies in and by using Pam, you have no added fat.
Weight Watchers counts squash and zuchinni cooked in Pam and WW seasoning as zero points! Eat all you want, it is tasty and good for you!

Natazu
06-27-2007, 02:57 AM
Updated Surf and Turf (based on a recipe in June's LIVING magazine)

8 Large Shrimp -- peel ON, deveined
4 Large Scallops
1 lb sausage (pre-steamed or boiled and cut into wedges)
2 cobs corn cut into 8 1" discs
3 Tbls fresh chopped oregano
1 Tbl fresh chopped flat parsley
kosher salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
1/2 cup olive oil
4 skewers (presoaked for 30 minutes)
lemon wedges for serving

Hey Jen, can you use a "gamier" meat instead of sausage? you know what I mean.

Mickey'sGirl
06-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Hey Jen, can you use a "gamier" meat instead of sausage? you know what I mean.
No...NO! NO POSSUM!!! DH drove over one on the way to work last week, and determined that it was just a little too gamey for his liking. ;)

Wendy Louise
06-27-2007, 04:24 PM
I wasn't sure whether this should go in the sticky, "Cooking with Intercot". Please move if in the wrong place. :)

I am after your meatloaf recipes please.

I've only ever tried it once, in POR. It came with mash, corn and gravy.

My husband :chef: loves to cook, so any recipes would be great.

Thank you!

offwego
06-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Wendy,

Meatloaf can be fancy or straight forward.

For a simple version mix the following in a bowl

1.5lb of ground beef
1 package onion soup mix (dried)
1 egg
1/4 cup breadcrumbs fresh not dried
1/4 ketchup
1 tbls worst. sauce
1 tbls of water

cook at 350 in loaf pan for 1 hour (may need longer depending on how deep your pan is)

Also to shorten time frame can be cooked in a muffin tin for ind. servings.

You can add in most anything (chopped veggies etc) and brush on top such things as ketcup, bbq sauce, layer it with bacon, onions even the mashed potatoes itself.

many also use beef/pork mixes or chicken/turkey mixes of meat as well.

enjoy!

MsMin
06-29-2007, 01:19 PM
A friends episode.
What about greek style pasta salad?
I love it with Penne.
1/2 cup or more crumbled feta
Two-three chopped fresh tomatoes
1/2 green pepper chopped
(olives if you like)
1/2 seedless cucumber
Pasta (lb) of your choice
aprox 1/4 olive oil (extra virgin)
Half that (or more if you like it sharper) in red wine vinegar. (cider is on ok sub in)
Squeeze of lemon
salt pepper (not much salt either)
oregeno pinch dried
If you like spicy add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
My dd was asking about a pasta salad the other day. I have to try this one. Mine has onion and salad dressing and they aren't crazy about the onion. any others for a quick cool summer meal? I love them.
Does anyone here get recipes from the Swan every month? I signed up a while back and this month was pretty good.
Fettuccini del Palio
5 Oz. Fettuccini Pasta
2 Tbs. Sun-dried Tomato
4 Fl. Oz. Alfredo Sauce
2 Oz. Broccolini
1 Oz. Parmesan Cheese
1 Tbs. Butter
Salt (To Taste)
White Pepper (To Taste)

Method of Preparation:
Bring a pot of water to boil (salted). Add fettuccini. Cook until al dente (2 minutes). Remove from water and cool in refrigerator. In the same pot of water, cook Broccolini until bright green. Drain and cool in refrigerator. Cut Broccolini into 1" long pieces and set aside. Cut sun-dried tomatoes into thin slivers (like matchsticks) and set aside. Toss the vegetables in a sauté pan with the cream sauce and heat. Add the fettuccini and the Parmesan cheese. Adjust the seasoning with salt and white pepper.
Presentation:
On a plate, place place the Fettuccini de Palio mix in the center. Serves 1
Who has a hurt foot? what am I missing??

Mickey'sGirl
06-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Wendy,

Meatloaf can be fancy or straight forward.

For a simple version mix the following in a bowl

1.5lb of ground beef
1 package onion soup mix (dried)
1 egg
1/4 cup breadcrumbs fresh not dried
1/4 ketchup
1 tbls worst. sauce
1 tbls of water

cook at 350 in loaf pan for 1 hour (may need longer depending on how deep your pan is)

Also to shorten time frame can be cooked in a muffin tin for ind. servings.

You can add in most anything (chopped veggies etc) and brush on top such things as ketcup, bbq sauce, layer it with bacon, onions even the mashed potatoes itself.

many also use beef/pork mixes or chicken/turkey mixes of meat as well.

enjoy!
Sometimes I will spread a thin layer of either plum sauce or red pepper jelly over the top whilst the loaf is baking. Makes for some nice flavours! :thumbsup:

DisneyAggies
06-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi there!
I'm looking for a recipe for side dish to take to a 4th of July cookout. It's going to be HOT outside, so something that doesn't have mayo (or stuff that would spoil) in it would be great!

Any ideas?

MsMin
06-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi there!
I'm looking for a recipe for side dish to take to a 4th of July cookout. It's going to be HOT outside, so something that doesn't have mayo (or stuff that would spoil) in it would be great!
Any ideas?
I think the pasta salad is a great side and you can make one to suit your taste w/o mayo. Natalie's recipe looks great...

January-2007
06-30-2007, 11:33 AM
A fresh cold fruit salad might be nice, assuming that would count as a side dish and not a dessert. Freezing some of the fruits would keep it colder longer out in the sun, too, like freezing a bunch of grapes and melon balls and adding that to strawberries, blueberries, nectarines, all those good fruits of the season.