PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Master

Lacy
06-01-2007, 08:49 AM
I was wondering if anyone else watched Pirate Master :pirate: last night. I decided to give it a try since it is by Mark Burnett and on during the summer re-run season.

I was surprised at how much it looked like Survivor. I wasn't too impressed at first but it got better. It looks like an interesting concept and I'll continue to watch for awhile.

disneydrmr
06-01-2007, 10:07 AM
I watched it and LOVED it! Too bad they sent John adrift - he was quite a bit of eye candy!:D But yeah, I really enjoyed it and will continue to watch. Next week looks good... a bit of mutiny in the air, and looks like a snake bite?

SBETigg
06-01-2007, 10:10 AM
I watched it. I needed a Survivor substitute for Thursday nights. I actually enjoyed it. It was hard to get into at first, yes. Too many people and not knowing what to expect. But once I got to know some names and what they were all about, it hooked me.

That John guy cracked me up. Scientist/Exotic Dancer? What? Too funny. And he thought so highly of himself. The whole concept that people would reward stealing the compasses and trust him after that? I knew he was probably going home at that point. Jay looks poised to win or go far, in my opinion. We'll see.

disneydrmr
06-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Louis put me in mind of Rupert from Survivor... anyone else see the connection? Yeah, I scratched my head to over the scientist/exotic dancer... but he was quite the looker! There were several that they didn't really show at all - the guy with dreadlocks (Azmyth) , then Sean (one of the dark haired guys) and a couple girls really didn't get much air time...

Yeah, the stealing compass deal wasn't too smart.. but what cracked me up is when Joe Don (the captain) was talking about how to put a stick in the dirt, blah blah blah.. he said you wait 1/2 hour and put another one then you know your east/west.. well.. if you are in the midst of a challenge to find a treasure chest - I'm sure you don't want to wait 1/2 hour...

Marker
06-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Just watched it, on-line, during my lunch.

Well, it was interesting. A little over dramatic in both production, and people's attitude. The people were far too whiney.

I caught the Rupert-like contestant. And the ex-football player (we've seen that before.... and one of our ex-Chiefs I might add).

The whole "set adrift" thing was done so dramatically, but we all know they aren't really sending a guy off on a raft. I know, it plays into the theme, but they made it so dramatic that to me it was just corny.

I'll probably watch it, but not going to cry if I miss it.

I'd much rather see Jericho.

thrillme
06-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Thought it was a bit complicated in the end. I hated seeing Tarzan (John) voted out so soon but...I think the "Exotic Danceologist" was just a wee bit too "arrogant". From the start he was making people "crazy" by constantly "going against the grain".

It's a bit "Survivorish" it may be a good "filler" till the next Survivor. I'm seeing some room for a lot of "discontent" because of how the money is divided. I'm not sure I'd like to be Captian...I hope he divides the next treasure of he'll be gone.

SBETigg
06-03-2007, 01:42 PM
My husband agreed that the drama was a little heavy-handed and seemed a bit forced or even scripted. I liked it, anyway. Very good point, Diane, that you're not exactly going to wait a half hour for the sun to shift in the middle of a challenge. Funny!

Willowwind
06-05-2007, 08:33 AM
I just can't decide what I think about this one. The first seemed a mix of boring and corny, but the last 15 minutes held my attention enough for me to want to give it another chance. The whole 1/2 the treasure to the Captain is going to bring in a whole new motivator that you don't get with Survivor. It may get interesting.

P.s. love the "Rupert-esque" guy

Diznee4Me
06-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Another vote for corny but it kept my attention plus I need it to fill my Thursday "Survivor" fix.

One question, as the Captain couldn't he have just taken the compass's back after Dancerboy was booted? He is the Captain after all. :confused:

If I had been Captain I think I would have explained why I didn't need the compass then take it back because I was Captain. :D Can you imagine Dancerboy's face as the compass would have been taken away from him as everyone looked on - that would have been too funny!:funny:

disneydrmr
06-05-2007, 11:33 AM
I wondered that also (about the compass taking) I wonder if everyone else just figured that the 'show' would give them two more compasses? I mean, if the challenges rely on knowing your north and south then I could see the thinking that the producer would have to supply two more. They wouldn't want their contestants wandering around lost, or just sitting for half hour waiting for the sun to move to put in that second stick - would make for boring tv. But yeah, I wonder if as captain he could've demanded the return before he was cast off... there's a few unanswered questions in this show... like if they find treasure each episode and split it among the team, and the treasures total one million, then the ultimate pirate master - does he/she win another prize? Or will it just be the 'name' alone?

thrillme
06-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Not sure about this show. A few things are bugging me a bit.

1. It takes a LOT to sail on of those vessels. I have no doubt they have a full crew telling these people what to do.

2. I'm quite sure these people have been told to think and talk like "pirates" or people from that time frame. This bugged me a bit at first then I recall back in the days when I was hanging around a few people from the SCA (Society for Creative Acyronisms I believe) they had campouts and meetings where they would pretend to be from a particular historical time frame. So...Ok...I guess I can go along with this.

3. Uh...snakes are usually not friendly and they don't all just hang out in pits with a bunch of different species. I doubt the producers would put anything Poisionus in there. Yes they have snake pits but they'd be the same breed.

4. For heavens sake WHY are they hanging on to the captian. Even if he gets voted out tommorow he's walking off with a NICE chunk of change while they do all the work. :confused:

Willowwind
06-09-2007, 08:10 PM
That would be the Society for Creative Anachronism (something that's out of place in time), Inc. and we do a little more than dress in funny clothes and hang out at campsites. LoL...

The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which may feature tournaments, arts exhibits, classes, workshops, dancing, feasts, and more.

Though some do choose to take on a "Persona", most SCAdians don't talk and act like they're in the Middle Ages. My local group's last educational conference featured the arts and sciences of medieval warfare and ranged from medieval melee and rapier fighting techniques to a class on forging steel in period technique. :)

I've dedicated over 10 years to this group and raised my family in it's midst. It's not very much like Pirate Master.

marlyn
06-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I have been watching and it is alright. I am not a fan of survivor but am a fan of Pirates so thought I would give it a shot. I was not surprised they sent John home but I was surprised to see that they sent Christian home. They might need his strength at some point. IMO it was Joy who should have gone. I kind of like Joe Don...I know he isn't sharing the loot much but he is Captain after all AND a pirate! LOL Will be interesting how long they keep him as Capt!

disneydrmr
06-11-2007, 02:37 PM
I really wonder if this show is not 'true' reality.. and that it may be scripted.. I mean.. why would anyone keep a 'captain' that dines like royalty while they eat gruel? Or is that just for show and they are really getting real meals off camera? And I agree about how hard it is to man the ship.. as they 'cut pirates adrift' they lose a crew member... how will they do all the sailing stuff necessary when they get down to just a few people? Lots of questions on this show - but still an enjoyable watch...

thrillme
06-15-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm not quite into it like I am Survivor but it has it's merits. I sorta got a bit of a chuckle when the NEW captian came up with that "accent" when he put on the hat. It was rather cute.

Right now...I'm stuck on Louis MAINLY for the reason that he looks like Rupert from Survivor. I LOVED that shoe stealin' pirate.

IamBelle
07-30-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to put thi, but I saw this on another website, here is the link:

http://www.tmz.com/2007/07/30/pirate-master-contestant-found-dead-of-apparent-suicide/

When I read this, I couldn't believe it!!

Lacy
08-01-2007, 12:17 AM
That is really sad! Hopefully, the show wasn't the last straw. I actually thought she seemed like one of the more normal contestants the few episodes I watched.

On another note, I'm not surprised that there weren't many people watching the show. However, I am surprised they actually pulled the show since it is the summer.