PDA

View Full Version : Public Speaking Nerves in CT

SBETigg
06-01-2007, 06:52 AM
I've been invited to give a workshop this weekend at a writers' conference and I'm unexpectedly nervous! I've done this a bunch of times, so I don't know why I'm suddenly shaky. Maybe because it has been awhile. I've had a dry spell in my career and I finally have a new book coming out in September, so it made sense to accept the invite. I'll be doing a lot of speaking and signing engagements and I have to get back in the swing. I just didn't expect it to be so hard!

Looking for a little luck, support, or tips to calm the nerves from fellow INTERCOTtees. Also, if you live near North Haven CT and enjoy reading romance novels, the conference ends in a big booksigning event featuring some top authors. 5-6 pm June 2 at the North Haven Holiday Inn. I won't be signing but I will be walking around to support my signing friends.

Melanie
06-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Good luck, Sherri! I'm sure you will get back into the swing of things very quickly. :)

pogo
06-01-2007, 07:38 AM
Good luck Sherri. :thumbsup:

Public speaking is a challenge for most people, but from what I've read here from you, it should be no problem. :nope:

I do seminars on Insurance products and at the start it can be intimidating. But I just relax before I start by thinking of my happy :cloud9: place, MK.

Just close your eyes for about ten seconds and see Main Street in front of you with the Castle at the end. See the smiles on the face's of the kiddies. Now...... take a deep breath and talk to the group like they are a group of friends. Piece of cake..... you'll do just fine. :D

mrsgaribaldi
06-01-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm sure you're going to be great Sherri. Once you start your nerves will calm right down. Picture everyone dressed like Mickey Mouse.:mjump:

:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:to calm your nerves:mickey:

offero
06-01-2007, 08:23 AM
You will do fine. I once had to defend a paper in Boston to a group of professors. One was hostile to me. I could feel my stomach knot. That should not be the case with you. Remember all of those people who come are on your side; they want to hear you speak.

Just take a few deep breaths before you go on and I agree with Pogo.
"Just close your eyes for about ten seconds and see Main Street in front of you with the Castle at the end."

Here we go again...
06-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Congratulations and good luck! :thumbsup::mickey:

The best piece of advice i can give you is to BREATH. Make sure you breath slowly. If you get nervous and find yourself speed speaking, take a deep breath, a sip of water and slow down.
Also try to be aware of how many times you say "umm" or "like" or "tsk" or any of those other things that we all do when tryng to find the right words.

The best piece of advice I ever got was to remember this.... No matter what the subject, you know more than most everyone sitting in the audience. They look up to you, they are not trying to catch you in a mistake. The good part?? Even if you do mess up, no one will know. :D

SBETigg
06-01-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm sure you're going to be great Sherri. Once you start your nerves will calm right down. Picture everyone dressed like Mickey Mouse.:mjump:

That's a great tip! Now I'm going to laugh through the workshop. :) The Main Street one is great, too, Pogo. Imagining myself back in my favorite place will definitely help calm the nerves. And breathe. Thanks everyone.

Some of my close friends have been very successful, which leaves me with a little of the "Thanks for noticing me" Eeyore complex. But your support is helping me get back to my normal bouncy Tigger-tude. :tigger:

MsMin
06-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Best of luck to you and a little :pixie: for your nerves. I do parenting seminars and every once in a while I get some that are a little defensive; but, for the most part, they wanted to come--remember that. Everyone there wants to hear what you have to say and respect you esp. w/ a professional group. :thumbsup: You'll do great..

disneydrmr
06-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Good luck Sherri! I'm not a public speaker, and I HATE being the center of attention so I have no advice or tips to give.. but I do like the one about picturing everyone dressed like Mickey - or even just picture your whole audience as all our favorite Disney characters! Hope it all goes well! I wish I lived in your area! I would definitly stop by! :stitch2:

ElenitaB
06-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Everyone has given such great advice. I just am hoping for you, that you can enjoy the opportunity to get back into the swing of things! You are the person they asked to want to hear speak because they have the confidence that you're going to do a good job. I'm sure you talk as well (or even better) than you write... and we all know what a wonderful conversational tone you have from what you post here!

So here's a big dose of no nerve :pixie: from your cheering section! :cheer:

SBETigg
06-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks so much for all the advice and pixie dust. I really felt it when I was getting ready to speak. It turns out that I was speaking with a fellow Disney fan, too, so that helped. She's heading to WDW in two weeks.

It went amazingly well! It actually felt good to be back in it. The talk was a huge hit and we got a lot of positive feedback from the crowd of mostly beginning writers. It's great to be reminded that I have knowledge and experience that can help others.

mrsgaribaldi
06-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Thanks so much for all the advice and pixie dust. I really felt it when I was getting ready to speak. It turns out that I was speaking with a fellow Disney fan, too, so that helped. She's heading to WDW in two weeks.

It went amazingly well! It actually felt good to be back in it. The talk was a huge hit and we got a lot of positive feedback from the crowd of mostly beginning writers. It's great to be reminded that I have knowledge and experience that can help others.

I knew you could do it and you would be great:mickey:

conorsmom2000
06-06-2007, 07:31 AM
Sherri, I'm sorry I missed this post earlier, but I'm so glad to hear that it went so well!! :thumbsup:

I used to hate public speaking but I've gotten a little better at it since I started to be emcee for the walk my family runs for organ donation (and that's tough because I have to be somewhat entertaining as well! :D ) But, tomorrow night I have to present an award (scholarship) on behalf of our schools PA - so, this means getting up on stage in front of auditorium full of people!! :ill: This one has my stomach doing flip flops!! :blush:

SBETigg
06-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Hang in there, Jen. And remember to picture the audience as Disney characters. That one works like a charm. :mickey::cool::mickey: Best wishes!

mrsgaribaldi
06-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Sherri, I'm sorry I missed this post earlier, but I'm so glad to hear that it went so well!! :thumbsup:

I used to hate public speaking but I've gotten a little better at it since I started to be emcee for the walk my family runs for organ donation (and that's tough because I have to be somewhat entertaining as well! :D ) But, tomorrow night I have to present an award (scholarship) on behalf of our schools PA - so, this means getting up on stage in front of auditorium full of people!! :ill: This one has my stomach doing flip flops!! :blush:

:pixie::pixie::pixie:You'll be great Jen, don't worry:thumbsup: