PDA

View Full Version : A new section of a theme park?

Darin M
05-31-2007, 11:46 PM
As we all now know, Universal Orlando is adding Harry Potter to its current lineup of themed sections/areas.

I love Disney World the way it is but if you could add a new themed "land," what would it be, and at which park?

I would add "Duckberg" to MgM.
I even came up with a few attractions, which are all crazy.
1. "Huey, Dewey, and Lewey's Screwy Kablooey" - A crazy roller coaster ride, sitting in mine carts where you go from room to room experiencing different action scenes, while Huey, Dewey, and Lewey try to find there little sister.
2. "McDucks" - A cool Duck version of a fast food joint.
3. "Launchpad McQuacks Flying School" - Imagine Soarin, but 3-D, with Launchpad flying you through an animated town.

Mackflava99
05-31-2007, 11:55 PM
This really makes me think hard-

There are alot of famous movies that don't have alot of representation-
Lady and the tramp, Aristicats, Mulan, Incredibles, The Emporers New Groove, Flubber, Escape to Witch Mountain , Darby o'gill etc

I'd like to see them get more play- maybe an Incredibles area- with rides based on the characters-
Emporers new groove is so underappreciated. I bet it would be a hit too
I have always wanted to be an Imagineer so i have alot of ideas flying around

WDWdreamer87
06-03-2007, 01:59 AM
Harry Potter is a huge deal for me, so I am very excited.
However, even with "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" so close to Disney, I will still have Disney World #1 in my heart.

But, the Disney crowds will surely be lower come 2009/2010 when it opens (keep that in mind when you schedule your next vacation around that time!) so...Disney needs to one up them...with a whole new park.

Can anyone say "Villian Kingdom?"

It'd be like Halloween all year long there. Scarier rides, (more Rockin' Roller Coasters perhaps?) great characters (Ursula, Capt. Hook, Evil Queen) ohhh endless supply of ideas for rides!

snifflesmcg
06-03-2007, 02:43 AM

It'd be like Halloween all year long there. Scarier rides, (more Rockin' Roller Coasters perhaps?) great characters (Ursula, Capt. Hook, Evil Queen) ohhh endless supply of ideas for rides!

That is such an AWSOME idea!!! I'd vote for that one in a heatbeat.

ibrowse17
06-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Maybe Disney could expand it's dealings with George Lucas, and come up with a Star Wars type land. Just an idea...

browneyedgirl12
06-04-2007, 11:50 AM
WDW has a lot of futuristic lands and even Epcot is based on the future mostly. What if they came up with a land with things of the past have some of their older rides there like 20,000 leagues under the sea... again just something of the top of my head but it would be cool to see some of the older rides again ones that were classics that the got rid of:mickey:

StitchplusTink=STINK
06-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Disney needs to one up them...with a whole new park.

I agree 200% !!!!!!! they have SOOOOO much to work with. it would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!i would love to see that!!!

KAT1811
06-04-2007, 12:13 PM

Love it!!! :thumbsup:

There are alot of famous movies that don't have alot of representation-
Lady and the tramp, Aristicats, Mulan, Incredibles, The Emporers New Groove, Flubber, Escape to Witch Mountain , Darby o'gill etc

A classsics area would be great too! So many long lost movies that never quite got the attention the deserved in WDW parks! :number1:

Speedy1998
06-04-2007, 12:38 PM
But, the Disney crowds will surely be lower come 2009/2010 when it opens (keep that in mind when you schedule your next vacation around that time!) so...Disney needs to one up them...with a whole new park.!

Intrestingly enough I have seen allot of rumors lately of new attractions (and possibly a fifth theme park or third water park) coming to WDW in 2010 - 2011 time frame. If any of them are true, it sounds like IOA will not have an advantage for long. Besides it sounds like IOA is only adding one ride and changing the theme of 2 others. I do not think that is enough to seriously dent Disney attendance.

I have also thought this is something that Universal (or anyone for that matter ) could severly mess up. I think people are going to go to the Harry Potter land expecting to see certain elements of the books and films as well as Harry, Hermonie, Ron, and Hagrid, and if Universal does not deliver exactly to the fans expectation it will be a disaster.

future_imagineer
06-04-2007, 01:12 PM
(Note: This is actually more of a general brainstorming session than anything else)

First off, I am one of those Harry Potter mega-fans who was really hoping for an HP-something at WDW, and was naturally quite disappointed when I learned that Uni got the deal. Uni will have some very demanding expectations to live up to (Jo Rowling quite demanding that anything HP-related live up to her expectations, and her fans follow suit usually; think Jim Hill-esque Disney people), and I have a hard time believing that they will perfectly pull it off without raising eyebrows from Jo, Bloomsbury, Scholastic, and WB.

But personally, I think Disney needs to go back to its roots, and come up with entirely new ride ideas and, especially, new stories to go with them. The three P's (princesses, pirates, and Pixar) are just about exhausted at WDW as I see it, and it is time that Disney make some new ideas up, or go back to their own animation (I see a lot more Finding Nemo in the parks now than what I consider to be the greatest post-Walt Disney animated film, The Lion King) at the very least (à la Mickey's PhilharMagic, one of the greatest improvements to MK recently, which proves that not only thrilling E-tickets should be developed).

About Pirates: I have seen all three films, and throughily enjoyed all of them. The first was the best, but the second two, although quite fun, were devoid of the real storytelling that you expect from Disney. Disney is putting huge amounts at stake right now for Pirates, and from my view at least, they are just trying to milk the cash cow fad as much as possible without really looking at the future. I'd rather not see everything develop into the three P's, because I can see how much that really could backfire upon Disney.

Harry Potter is similar to Pirates in that, after the twenty-first of next month (when I will be proudly be purchasing Deathly Hallows at Compass Books in Disneyland), and especially when the DH movie is released, interest will not be nearly as high as it is now. Of course, with the approaching release of DH, HP interest is close to its apex.

The two will of course have some timeless appeal; I can see HP going in the direction of Lord of the Rings and Narnia (which Disney made an excellent movie out of, but you don't see anything about it except for a pointless little walk through at the Studios), and hopefully Walt Disney's Pirates will always be what is was or more than it was before Black Pearl was released.

I am also against the Villain's Park idea; to me, it is suggesting making a Six Flags and dressing it up with recycled characters, and no new real technology or storytelling whatsoever; the antithesis of The Walt Disney Company, and even more so because of the fact that it would have little family appeal (also, talk about a financial mess).

Personally, I don't think that any area of a park should be dedicated to a "subset" of movies or characters, if you will, like "classics," "villains," or "Pixar," although the latter is pretty much all of WDW now. The exception, of course, is Fantasyland at MK, but that is a timeless, classic example itself, and something which has an idea that shouldn't be tampered with.

So what are my actual suggestions?

Personally, I've always like the idea of a water-based park, similar in concept to to DisneySea (maybe call it Maritime Magic to distinguish between the two?). Disney has always been a company that celebrates water (Steamboat Willy, anyone?). Also, the mythical animal section of AK that Michael Eisner nixed from WDI's budget has always sounded like an excellent section of AK to me. Of course, the Nepal/Tibet-esque area of AK where E:E is deserves expansion (I personally love to learn about that culture and area, though, so I am biased).

Whatever WDI decides in the future, though, I hope it incorporates two ideas: new, fresh storytelling (not just recycled Pixar, Pirates, and Princesses stories!) and technology. They are holding on to the latter well in many cases, but the former hasn't been showing up as much lately. Keep in mind that I absolutely love some of the technological masterpieces that WDI has created recently (the big three at Epcot are examples, although my wish is that they would have kept the old ones with the new ones, to reaffirm EPCOT Center's goal of Edutainment.

Just my two cents.