PDA

View Full Version : Disney Tip???

greene
05-31-2007, 12:17 AM
What is the best Disney tip you have to offer?

Brer Mickey
05-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Generally 18-25% depending on the service.:D

My tip would be have fun and don't worry about seeing every single attraction/ride/show. Enjoy the atmosphere, the music, the other guests, and the CM's. It will make your trip more relaxed and memorable.

epceddie
05-31-2007, 12:34 AM
Get to the parks early and take advantage of the morning Extra Magic Hours.
Use Fastpasses and get as much done until about 11 when the parks start filling up.
Go for lunch at one of the resorts and head back to your room for a nap or a swim before hopping to another park about 5.
This formula has worked like a charm for my family over the years. We'll be going back in June for the 16th time since 1978!

Have a blast!

MsMin
05-31-2007, 12:45 AM
I do find some advice is based on the season and your family's habits. My best advice is INTERCOT but I see you already know that one ;)
Knowledge is important, knowing when the park opens and closes and when the activities or shows that are a must do are available. What's important to your group?

chicade88
05-31-2007, 02:23 AM
Use Fastpass! It made our trip sooo much more enjoyable since we didn't have to wait in line for upwards of an hour!
It might be too late...but the DDP saved us a ton of money and it was convenient not having to worry about budgeting for meals (plus we saved some serious $$$!)

mrsgaribaldi
05-31-2007, 02:47 AM
You will never get to see it all in one trip so don't kill yourself trying;)

LudwigVonDrake
05-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Fill your ice bucket with ice before you go to sleep. When you wake up, you'll have fresh water to drink since the water used for the ice is filtered :wave:

biodtl
05-31-2007, 07:35 AM
My favorite way to avoid stressing out about money while at WDW is to start buying Disney Dollars as soon as I start planning a trip. I buy a little on every payday and by the time we go, I have plenty of spending money and don't have to worry about touching my credit cards or bank account.

Of course, for safety purposes, DH and I split the DDs and each keep half on our person. And we use the safe at the resort and don't carry much with us. We let the kids take some each day, since it's fun for them to spend and we charge the rest to the room and pay with DDs when we check out.

DawsonAR
05-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Relax and enjoy your your trip and go as often as you can afford to go.

Marilyn Michetti
05-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Don't plan every single minute. Allow for stuff you didn't expect to see, like street performers.
You might miss some terrific things if your nose is glued to your itinery.:thumbsup:

pshokie
05-31-2007, 09:56 AM
My best advice is INTERCOT but I see you already know that one ;)

Best Advice EVER!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Stop, use the benches, a take in the sights, sounds and the "little toches". Example: On the bridge to Liberty Square, there is a small "shack" on the right hand side. It is has a lot of revolutionary-era replica "stuff" in it. It is like a mini blacksmith shop and/or a writers/printers shop. We just happened to glance at it, no one else seemed to notice it. Just kept walking right on by....

That's just one example. Touches like this are eveywhere, resort, parks, you name it. Do not go so fast that you pass them by.

T-Belle
05-31-2007, 10:19 AM
My best tip would be not to expect to do and see everything. With that mind set your not so disappointed if you miss a ride or show or certain restaurant. That's why you return, to do the things you didn't get to do on the last visit. Also, a break during the middle of the day works wonders. It always rejuvenates us.

Iluvpooh
05-31-2007, 10:35 AM
My favorite way to avoid stressing out about money while at WDW is to start buying Disney Dollars as soon as I start planning a trip. I buy a little on every payday and by the time we go, I have plenty of spending money and don't have to worry about touching my credit cards or bank account.

Of course, for safety purposes, DH and I split the DDs and each keep half on our person. And we use the safe at the resort and don't carry much with us. We let the kids take some each day, since it's fun for them to spend and we charge the rest to the room and pay with DDs when we check out.

This was exactly what I was going to say!! We put the DDs in the safe and charge everything to the room. When we check out we pay for the room charges with the DDs. The best thing is if you happen to have some left over(yeah right!!) you can cash them in for "real" money at Guest services. That is what makes DDs better than gift cards.

I think this is a little known fact about DDs and room charges. Some times we only have an extra 5 or 6 dollars here and there, but over the year they start to add up.

Also don't hesitate to ask friends and family to give your kids Gift Cards and DDs for Birthdays and Christmas. Just explain to the kids when they buy something that it was from Uncle Joe for her Birthday! When you get home have your kids write thank you cards and tell them what they bought with their "money"

As far as a park tips-
1.Get a good guide book. (Passporter and Unofficial guides are great)
2.Decide what is a must see and do that first.
3.Have a second list of maybes for if you have extra time.
4.Try to set aside time to return to your room mid-day.
5.Make Priority Seating reservations before you leave home.
6.Stay on property!! I can't stress this enough!
7.Some things that you may dismiss as boring can be really great. For years I skipped Living with the land. Now I do it every year!
Sorry-Long post!

scootch713
05-31-2007, 11:09 AM
Be at the parks at opening.... then take an afternoon break. Eat at odd times(like lunch at 11am, dinner at 4pm...ect...) RENT A STROLLER for kids 8 and under(maybe pushing the 8... but i am renting one this year for my almost 8). Stay at deluxe if you can afford it and if you have small kids that will be going to MK a ton... the savings of time is worth so much.

Zippy_D_DooDah
05-31-2007, 11:29 AM
Be nice to the CM's. Take some time to talk to them. Most if not all would love to have a short conversation with you. You never know what you might learn.

CleveSJM
05-31-2007, 12:39 PM
My biggest tip: Go during a low season no matter what.

If it's too busy, you'll be bummed and not get the most enjoyment for your dollar.

Nascfan
05-31-2007, 01:30 PM
There's some really good tips already here. So as not to repeat any (although if I were it would be the "INTERCOT" post), I'd say stay on-site. That's what we tell any first timers. :mickey:

bratmaster
05-31-2007, 02:05 PM
Fill your ice bucket with ice before you go to sleep. When you wake up, you'll have fresh water to drink since the water used for the ice is filtered :wave:

they did a study on germs and found that ice from ice machines is pretty much one of the worst things as far as bacteria goes. you'd be better off drinking the water from your toilet than drinking ice from a machine.

Wrigley
05-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Take a mid day break! Head back to your resort and go for a swim or just relax! You will then feel more energized for your nightly plans!!

Mikey Piano 23
05-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Plan, plan, plan. Make a list of everything you want to see/ride. That way u should be able to hit everything you want. Enjoy :mickey:

disneyfan328
05-31-2007, 03:01 PM
my best tip so far ( and I am by no means an expert - at least not yet ) Is to ask any and all questions you have here on intercot before you go. I have gotten TONS of great advice and answers to lots of questions from all of the great people on here who get to Disney a lot more than me. (we have only been once). Even some questions that you think may be dumb or not worth asking, you can bet the the intercottees probably have an answer for it.

Thanks to all of you for all of your great advice so far - 4 months to go, so I am sure I will have lots more questions before then!!!:mickey:

Jeff G
05-31-2007, 03:22 PM
Arrive at the parks early and have a game plan but don't get to wrapped up in your plan that your running from ride to ride. WDW has so much more to offer, slow down and enjoy the atmosphere.

mttafire
05-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Use Intercot to preplan and stay long enough so you DONT have to rush.:thumbsup:

PrincessCandaceMarie
05-31-2007, 04:29 PM
I love reading all of the tips from everyone..this is a fun and useful thread!:number1:

grumpycajun
05-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Stay on property so you can take advantage of Disney transportation. Park the car and don't even look at it again until it's time to leave. Check in, get un-packed and proceed to the first park. Worry about absolutely NOTHING. Take your time and soak up the magic.:pixie: Reality returns all too quickly.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Don't avoid a ride because you think it's a "kiddy" ride. I love Peter Pan. Look at all the detailing that goes into it.

Also, bring zip lock plastic baggies, you'll always find a need for them.

kathiep
05-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Take your time and enjoy every little bit of it. Don't rush to get from attraction to attraction. It's all part of the experience.

Sharon1026
05-31-2007, 09:02 PM
Pack band aids, aloe vera, lots of sunscreen, tums, ibuprofen, nail clippers and snacks for the room. It's a pain to have to spend way too much money to get it there.

Also, if you drive to the park, take a digital photo of your parking area, if you have a tendency to forget where you park your car! You can always look at the photo before you leave.

CleveSJM
05-31-2007, 09:43 PM
they did a study on germs and found that ice from ice machines is pretty much one of the worst things as far as bacteria goes. you'd be better off drinking the water from your toilet than drinking ice from a machine.

That study was on ice bin type dispensers where you have to scoop out the ice. The ones that dispense ice directly to a container have been proven to be very hygenic.

Mickey'sGirl
06-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Also, bring zip lock plastic baggies, you'll always find a need for them.
YES!! AND -- a TIDE pen for removing sudden little stains. Even if you can't launder the article of clothing...using the pen will likely save it!! :thumbsup:

TikiGoddess
06-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Take a picture of your kids with your digital camera in the morning -- that way if they get separated from you, you have a picture of what they look like and what they're wearing.

Hang around after the fireworks at MK or Illuminations at Epcot. Enjoy the atmosphere while everyone else is crowding the buses and monorails...

Take the trails around the Tree of Life. The entrance is not really clearly marked but it is worth looking for! A fantastic walk around the base of the Tree.

If you want to meet the characters, get to Toontown at 10am. This is when the area opens and you can see the characters at the Judges Tent with little or no wait.

Slow down and check out the live entertainment!

And last but not least...

Two words: Dole Whip.

TikiG

Alpha Jeanie
06-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Take advantage of the morning EMH. You really do beat the crowds if you go to the parks for the extra magic morning hours. You will get more done in that 1 hour than you normally would in prob. 3 hours. :mickey:

Mickey91
06-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Remeber you're at DISNEY WORLD!!! The happiest place on earth!!!!!! Have a good time and don't sweat the small stuff!:mickey:

irish1967
06-02-2007, 09:35 AM
1) Don't promise your children anything! If you promise them that they will see a certain character and don't - it will stick with them (or ride a certain ride and it is being renovated....) My 15 year old niece who went to Disney with us when she was 3 still talks about not seeing Pochahontas during the trip.

2) If your children are younger - write your contact information on their forearm - check it throughout the day to make sure it doesn't get wet and run. That way, if mom and dad get lost, the CMs can find them easily :mickey:

emmingo
06-02-2007, 11:57 AM

TikiG

No, seriously...I laughed when someone suggested we scour MK for this on our last trip, but its TOTALLY worth it. The only place that sells them is near the Swiss Family Robinson house, and they are PHENOMENAL....lol.:mickey:

EvilQueen2006
06-02-2007, 12:13 PM
1. Go to MK for morning EMH and hit Fantasyland first. All those rides can get some long lines later in the day. Some ride queues are interesting and the time can pass quickly, but the ones in Fantasyland are not interesting at all, and are usually in the hot sun with little shade.
2. Utilize fastpass when crowds are heavy, but sometimes backtracking and running around to get them takes more time. I usually use the 20 min rule. If the wait time posted is less then 20min, I get in line and forget about the fastpass.
3. Make ADR's before you leave. If there is a restaurant you really want to eat at, don't run the risk of not getting in. Once you are there, don't stuff yourself so full that you don't have room for dessert. Disney restaurants have some of the best desserts I've ever had.

snifflesmcg
06-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Since Florida is so hot and Disney charges like 2 bucks my suggestion is to bring your own 16-20 oz bottle. Not only can you refill it at water fountains and ask CM to fill them up at counter services but you can bring along with you Kool-Aid or Crystal light packets that you can dump in your water. It tastes great, better than soda for you and it's so much cheaper.

Nicki'sMom
06-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Plan at least 6 months ahead and make a grid that shows you the days you will be in which park and write your ADR conf. number down in each box. This helps tremendously when making reservations to eat. Also buy an Unofficial Guide to WDW! It helped me so much!

mainemajor
06-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Enjoy yourself. Don't try to see and do it all. The best way to relax is to find a shady bench and watch the world go by.:mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
06-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Be nice to the CM's. Take some time to talk to them. Most if not all would love to have a short conversation with you. You never know what you might learn.

This is so true! Some of my best memories from DL and WDW have been in my interaction with CM's, but it seems like most people can't be bothered. We have gotten some of our best park tips from CMs -- just in general conversation, we didn't even ask them any questions. And they have unreal stories to tell about things they have seen!

But back to your question:

1. I ditto the ziploc advice, I got that advice here before our last trip and it saved me tons of money because 4 year old boys are always wanting something to munch on.
2. Rent some of the movies that tie in to the older attractions. My boys loved watching Swiss Family Robinson and so when we went to the treehouse, they knew what it was and were very excited (and there is never a line in the off season so you can linger and enjoy the sights).
3. Storytime with Belle. If you have little ones, this is a little known "must do" -- she does an interactive play where kids from the audience get to play parts, and my twins were Gaston and Papa. My sweetest Disney memory!
4. Go to Steve Soare's website ahead of time (just do a search) and plan out your trip around what shows you want to see and what characters you want to meet. There are things going on you would never know about without it! Especially at Epcot!
5. Naptime or swimtime, for sure. Don't push it until you break, take a break instead :D
6. Unless you are going for a month, don't expect to do it all.
7. Don't wear new shoes.... expect to walk at least 5 miles a day.
8. Have a great time!

LoriMistress
06-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Make your ADRs at exactly 180 days on the mark--expecially if you're going during peak season or during holidays.

Pocahontas
06-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Stay in a Disney Resort! As soon as you get there it puts you in the 'Disney Mood' and then you never have to worry about transportation.

Don't be in such a rush to hit every ride. Take time to enjoy little shows along the way. Some of my families favorite entertainment is different music and plays that we just happened upon walking through the parks (esp. in the World Showcase).:mickey:

KAT1811
06-11-2007, 11:27 AM

Love this idea and will certainly be trying it in September!!!

. . .start buying Disney Dollars as soon as I start planning a trip.

Love it!!! I tuck money into my vacation bank but buying Disney Dollars sounds like a lot more fun!!!

The best thing is if you happen to have some left over(yeah right!!) you can cash them in for "real" money at Guest services.
Also don't hesitate to ask friends and family to give your kids Gift Cards and DDs for Birthdays and Christmas.

Didn't know you could cash them in at Guest Services (not that we ever have any left over)!!!

We always have people give our children DD for their birthdays and even Christmas. They really look forward to having their own "money" to spend!

. . .ask any and all questions you have here on intercot before you go.

There isn't a question out there that someone on Intercot can't answer!!!

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!

Make your ADRs at exactly 180 days on the mark.

Even if you decide to change them just make sure you have something you want booked.

My personal advice. . . When touring the Magic Kingdom be there right when the parkopens and head straight through the castle and do all of the rides in Fantasyland. The wait will be minimal first thing in the morning but by the time you get there in the afternoon the lines are HUGE!!!

wedway fan
06-11-2007, 12:12 PM
plan to do a character meal- nice relaxing way to get your pictures of the kids with the characters

DisneyorNothing
06-11-2007, 12:24 PM
My tip would be:

When in Disney go left. If you come to a choice in the road and you've got to make a right or left, always make the left.

It seems to always work out for the best that way. Seems most people go in the right direction. I don't know why? but they do.

Of course now that I've told you all that, I'll have to change my process and go right!:mickey:

A Big Kid
06-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Dont try to squeeze every, second out of every hour, ouf of every day.........relax and enjoy.

Dont try to maximize the value of every penny out of every dollar.....real and enjoy.

WhenYouWishUponAStar
06-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Loads of great tips on here!
My main ones are:
Buy a good Disney book - they are full of useful tips!
Plan for everyday - have a rough idea of which park you want to go to but don't be afraid to change it!
Don't get stressed out! - don't get too stressed in the parks, some people get so frustrated about where they have to go and what they have to do that they forget that its WDW! Its great to just take a minute or 2 to relax, eat ice-cream and soak up the atmosphere!
Have a great time!
:mickey:

MrPeetrie
06-11-2007, 08:41 PM
First, STAY ON PROPERTY. So many perks await if you stay at a Disney resort.

Also, check to see if an Annual Pass is an affordable option. If so, purchase one as they usually offer great discounts on rooms if you act quickly. And you only need one AP for your room discount.

Realize that this is one immense vacation resort. You cannot see everything so take your time and enjoy yourself. Make sure you've done your research in advance (like here) so you're not overwhelmed when you arrive.

Take afternoon breaks. If you don't, you'll probably burn out before your vacation is over.

USE FASTPASS! I love this! Become a FastPass master. Learn when you can acquire your next FastPass. [The time you're next eligible to get another one is printed on the ticket.]

Have fun!!! That's the most important.

LandFan
06-11-2007, 09:02 PM
You can get free water and ice at any counter service so bring some of those to go packets and make your own iced tea or grape drink (the packets are cheap at wal-mart) and skip paying $2.00 or more per drink! Plus, go sugar free and save all those calories!

KAT1811
06-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Plus, go sugar free and save all those calories!

Calories and WDW no such thing!!! LOL!!! :bar: :bar: :bar: :bar:

ryca1dreams
06-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Last year a friend of mine asked me to help him plan for a family trip to WDW (first trip). So I gave him lost of tips, a general plan, advice from my previous trips, Intercot site, Magical Journeys site, etc. - you get the idea. I called him last week a few days before he left and asked him about his DDP reservations and he said "what reservations." Needless to say, I don't think he ever checked Intercot.

My tip would be to plan ahead and have some idea of what you're doing before you go. We usually just plan which parks we are going to on which day, but we've been there before.

You may not need a detailed plan, but I would say that if you're on the DDP at least have some reservations!

katzctkpt
06-12-2007, 12:49 AM
A lot of great tips on here. Loved reading and picked up a few new ones for our trip in 10 days.
Keep up to date on intercot is probably one of the best tips to get. The summer heat really zaps you so be sure to drink plenty of h2o and take an afternoon nap after a dip in the pool.

Narawen
06-12-2007, 02:34 AM
Use fastpasses every chance you get.
Take advantage of EMH.
Don't go in summer if you can at all help it (october is heaven :cloud9:)
Have top 5 attractions you want to see, and don't worry about everything else.

A not so common tip- take baby wipes with you everywhere! They're great for cooling off in the florida heat, freshening up quickly in the bathroom, cleaning messy hands and faces, and they work alot better than thin Disney park toilet paper :secret: .

disneygirlie11
06-12-2007, 06:26 AM
I actually have a list of tips saved on my computer that I have found very useful. I'll just give you the good ones!!

1. bring a watch
2. bring ziplock bags
3. bring mug that closes to the parks
4. go to big rides 30 min. BEFORE extra magic hours
5. bring extra socks and a baggie to change midday
6. bring ID EVERYWHERE
7. wear 'crocs'
8. stuff wet shoes with paper towels overnight and they will be dry in the AM
9. Make an index card with your name, cell phone number and/or e-mail address, and take a picture of it on each digital camera media card. This way, if the camera is lost, someone may see the first picture and be able to contact you
10. bring a handtowel in your bag for wiping off seats and such after downpours!

WVParkfan
06-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Best tip we were ever given was to get to the parks early, and then take a break in the afternoon. Go back to your resort to swim/ nap/ eat/ relax. Then head back out for the evening.

We've been doing it for years, and every WDW trip has been magical.

katzctkpt
06-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Oh, another tip start walking about a month before you go. You'll be surprised how much you walk and if you're not used to walking you'll get shin splints.

Bruegge
06-12-2007, 09:01 PM
40-140 degree rule applies to all "food" and even ice (water).......

Bacteria grows best and fastest between 40 degrees and 140 degree F.

If that water gets above 40 all the "germs" go nuts and if there is enough and if your weak, tired or vitamin deficent .... look out.

Scott

No I'm not a MD but the DW is... tap water may taste like chlorine or sulfer (standard for Fl.) but Ice Machines as a water source is ...scary... freeze bottled water ... use it as an Ice pack for the backpack

Lizzie
06-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Take advantage of the photo pass system. You will get amazing pictures, especially at the water parks.