PDA

View Full Version : What's your first memory of WDW?

Cozfamilyof6
05-30-2007, 04:45 PM
When my Grandmother took my brother and I in 1974, I was 5. My earliest memory is seeing Minnie Mouse in a parade and saying to my Grandmother "She is so beautiful".

What's your first?

Off site many times 1974-1994

BWV 2006- WIth hubby and 3 children
BWV October 2007 With hubby our children and our new baby girl

May524
05-30-2007, 05:21 PM
I went to DL a few times when I was VERY young (like 3 or under) but my next trip wasn't until I was 8 or 9 at Walt Disey World. I still remember certain things:
Eating at CRT and taking pictures with Cinderella
dining in the cars at Sci-Fi, I thought that was so incredible awesome
Oh and buying a HUGE minnie mouse stuffed animal...but now it doesn't look that huge, but in an 8 year olds eyes it does :mickey:

SBETigg
05-30-2007, 05:41 PM
1981. I remember being desperate to get that first glimpse of castle. The drive in seemed long and full of trees. We passed Epcot in the building stages and finally made it closer. My first sight of Cinderella Castle just hooked me. It was amazing. Like being in a fairy tale. And then we parked in the Dopey section of the MK lot and the parking attendant kept calling it "Doopey." For some reason, that cracked me up. Did I mention I was twelve?

Disneydol
05-30-2007, 06:07 PM
We lived in Florida, and I was born in 1971 - so I've been going since November of that year when I was 8 months old. I don't remember much about those early years...lol!

But, my oldest memory is of me at about age 4 and my oldest sister at 14 standing under a white staircase on Main Street during a torrential downpour. We were supposed to meet the rest of the family on the other side of the street - and we could see them - but they couldn't see us. I remember being terrified of the rain.

I can't *for the life of me* place where that staircase is now. In my mind's eye I am seeing it about halfway down Main St on the left as you are walking towards the castle. I know it's not there - any ideas of where we could have been? I wonder if we were even ON Main St or if I just think we were! hahaha

Golf Grumpy
05-30-2007, 08:36 PM
I first took a group of kids to WDW in 2000. I was mid 30;s never been, my wife grew up in Florida and swore by Disney. I thought whatever, it is another band trip. The biggest thing I remember is when we were at EPCOT our first day and the character bus drove by us and she lost it. I thought WHY? They were just characters.

But , I did not get it, until she twisted my arm to take our kids back 5 months later, and they lit up when they saw the characters and castle.

Then I got it. And glad I still do.

biodtl
05-30-2007, 08:37 PM
The earliest ride memory I have is If You Had Wings.

The earliest general WDW memory is those balloons that had a colored Mickey head balloon inside a clear oval balloon.

Mickey91
05-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Riding DumDumbo with my Daddy ate age 2. I was terrified when they all went way high and flew in formation!:mickey:

darthmacho
05-31-2007, 08:17 AM
I remember everything from my first visit to WDW because I was 27 years old! My most memorable moment, however is driving up Timberline Drive to the Wilderness Lodge, and seeing it appear from behind the trees in all of its majesty! :pine::pine::pine:

disneydrmr
05-31-2007, 08:59 AM
I was 15 when I first visited Disney and I remember the excitement at meeting Chip and Dale! I still have the picture and still smile when I remember how funny they were! I also remember the 'shock' I had when I saw the ghost hitchhiker in my doom buggy. Got quite a 'startle' since I knew nothing of the ride. And the 'enchantment' I felt sitting in the Enchanted Tiki Room...I returned to Disney just last year for the first time since that trip (so that's some 20 years later) and I couldn't help but compare my memories with the reality. Things had really changed.. but the magic was still there and my excitement over meeting the characters was even more intense!

grumpyguy
05-31-2007, 09:07 AM
i was about 11 yrs old and i remember being amazed by the peter pan ride and i loved it!!
now its tradition that pp is the first ride we do
each trip.and i also remember that haunted mansion was the only attraction i knew of before going to wdw and thats really the only thing i wanted to see,when we got to hm my mom says "the line is too long,we'll come back and we never did."now i ride hm at least 12 times each visit.:thumbsup:
gg out!!

brad192
05-31-2007, 09:57 AM
My first memory wasn't even on WDW property! I was 13 in '71 & we were there for the first Xmas celebration at WDW. :santa: We stayed off property, and I remember driving to the park & seeing the big green road sign that said Walt Disney World, with three big arrows pointing to the right. When I saw that, I got so excitied I thought my head would explode!:joy:

MsMin
05-31-2007, 09:58 AM
My first memory of WDW is the Contemporary resort. It was so "futuristic" and magical with the monorail running through. I found the Poly enchanting though my parents preferred CR. Since we had been to DL the first thing I noticed was the differences there and how Main Street was different and the Castle and how more lines were inside instead of in the heat.
From DL I remember traveling out west with my family for 2 weeks and DL was last before heading home. We had this booklet about DL and my sister was 4 and all she said for 2 straight weeks was "I want to ride the cups" she drove us crazy. I was amazed at the worn spots on Main Street and couldn't wait to ride the Pirates, it had just opened 2 months before.

Cozfamilyof6
05-31-2007, 10:37 AM
But , I did not get it, until she twisted my arm to take our kids back 5 months later, and they lit up when they saw the characters and castle.

Then I got it. And glad I still do.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how my husband reacted (he had never been to WDW until last year at age 38). It is a magical place for the children.:mickey:

kgoulash
05-31-2007, 11:33 AM
pluto pretending to throw my cousin into the lake, i wasn't scared of the characters until that, but i overcame my fears!

DawsonAR
05-31-2007, 11:50 AM
My first trip was in 1979. I remember riding Its a Small World and getting that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day. It was a great trip and I have been hooked since that day! :mickey:

Zippy_D_DooDah
05-31-2007, 12:07 PM
My earliest Disney World memory: I can't remember how old I was, but my mom had just bought me a Daniel Boone coon-skin cap in Frontier Land as we got into position for the Electric Light Parade. That was the most amazing thing to me. The darkness, then the lights in sync to the music on all of the floats and such. My brain doesn't work as well as it used to, but I can still see it. It was at that point that I knew I would love WDW forever.

Another memory just popped into my head. My mom and I went to Epcot in 1983. I remember riding the original Journey Into Imagination and playing in the playground of the future... and I still have an original Figment.

Figgyluv03
05-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Crying when I met Chip and Dale for the first time! I was only like three or four. Oh and everyday I would say, Disney again, when are we going home to Jersey. What was a smokin' back then?!

Disney Doll
05-31-2007, 02:27 PM
My first trip I was 5 and it was 1984. I remember that the celebration or theme for that year was Donald's 50th Birthday. I can still remember Donald's birthday parade at MK. There was the actor who lends his voice to Donald in a old fashioned car with his wife. Donald's float had several real ducks all wearing sailor hats. I can still remember thinking the real ducks with sailor hats was hilarious.

sly1
05-31-2007, 03:34 PM
I was three and it was 1975 I still remember the hitchhiking ghost in haunted mansion. Scared me to death. I can even remember which one it was: The heavy set one with the big head.

pshokie
05-31-2007, 03:55 PM
1980. I was 10 and in a soccer tournament in Tampa (travelled from Virginia). My whole team went went to Disney, and the first memory that pops into my head from that has two main facts: a) we were 10, and b) we were boys. This means trouble.

My memory is all of us buying those fake foam rocks (big at the time) and having a battle amongst ourselves, beating each other with these fake rocks. All happening around the backside of the Castle.

Guests? What other Guests?

Boy, I needed a smack upside the head. :shake:

Tinkerbell627
05-31-2007, 04:01 PM
My first memory of Disney World is being at Downtown Disney and playing in the jumping fountains when you first enter the Marketplace. The other one was too big for me but I really loved the little ones. My mom has a picture of me pulling up my dress so high that everyone had a nice view of my panties. I had no shame back then :-o

mttafire
05-31-2007, 04:06 PM
My first visit with mom and dad was in 1973. I was 3 so i cant recall anything from that trip. BUT, In 1975 my next trip we stayed at the campground..I DO remember that relatively well. For some reason the camping stood out.

slegrant
05-31-2007, 04:47 PM
I was born the year the park opened, and my parents took me all the time. One of my earliest and favorite memory is the boat ride from Fort Wilderness to the Magic Kingdom, I loved the anticipation of seeing Space Mountain and Cinderellas Castle. Could go on and on, My family and I love WDW!!!!:bar:

6/23-7/9/07 Fort Wilderness
12/26-1/05/07 Fort Wilderness-first trip with our new camper !!!

Iluvpooh
05-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks to everyone for posting these. Made me cry today!
My first Memory is walking down Main Street USA and smelling the Cinnamon Rolls from Main Street Bakery. I swear everytime someone bakes I want to book a flight to Orlando!

I also always wanted one of those giant suckers from the confectionary, but my mom would never let me have one!! My first trip with my kids I stopped there first and bought them each 2!!

dolphinmickey9170
05-31-2007, 05:40 PM
I didn't get to go until I was an adult with children, however, I remember every weekend watching the Disney show on TV after Lawrence Welk and as the camera panned over Cindy's castle, I would tell my mom that I would be there someday. When I finally got to go, I stood at the end of Main Street and cried.

Nicki'sMom
05-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Does anyone remember those juice drinks in plastic containers made to look like the fruit of the juice inside? I remember the grape one was a clump of grapes and the orange was in an orange. I was obsessed!

debandbub
06-01-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm crying, too! My first memory---1976, I was 7, we went in July. When my brothers and I had our picture taken with Pluto, he put his big, heavy paw on my head. I remember thinking how hot I was! I also remember being TERRIFIED on HM, my dad had to hold me in the stretching room because I didn't want to have anything to do with it. When we got on the doom buggy, I kept my eyes closed and my ears covered until my dad told me it was OK to look--right when the hitchhiking ghost was in our buggy! But actually, that was the moment I knew everything was cool in WDW, and I was not scared anymore!(now I am actually laughing at the thought of it!):thumbsup:

and yes, Nicki'smom, I do remember the fruit drinks...I think I had forgotten about them until you mentioned them! thanks for the cool trip down memory lane!

GrmGrninGost
06-01-2007, 11:20 PM
My first look at the castle.:mickey:

Belle--86
06-01-2007, 11:26 PM
My earliest memory was in HighSchool (first time I went) was marching with my HighSchool band in the afternoon parade.:mickey:

LovinWDW
06-01-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm not sure it's my first, but it is my most vivid memory from my first trip in 1976. does anyone else remember the fruit juice that they used to sell in the carts? The grape juice was in a plastic container shaped like a bunch of grapes, the orange juice was in a plastic orange, etc. I'm not sure why I remember this so well, but I still think of them every time we visit the Kingdom.

True Disney Fan
06-02-2007, 09:31 AM
:)Although, the origianl trip was for 1976, it was delayed due to an arrival of a "little one". We finally made the first family trip in '82. We were staying at the Fort Wilderness Campground and of course, were excited about our first visit to the "World".

I remember our plan to do the MK park,break, rest, and return for the first day. NOT!!! We got into MK,becamed overwhelmed with Disney Excitement" and stayed the full day. Getting back to campsite around midnight..Dear hubby was totaled.:( Next day, all were up again,early and back for another round of park adventure.

It took the third day to figure out we had to pace ourselves. Ever since, we still arrive and still get excited and still find that we spend more time,in the park,the first day before the break. Just too much fun to have.:thumbsup::mickey:

ibrowse17
06-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Our first family trip was in 1975, and we stayed at Ft. Wilderness. My first memory was seeing and wanting to ride the train at FtW. Another was riding the boat to the MK for the first time:thumbsup:

DisneyMP3Maker
06-02-2007, 10:52 AM
The first time I was at WDW was 1982, and I was 1 1/2 years old. I don't rememeber that trip unfortunately. My mom has a great framed picture of my brother and I standing outside MK and me crying my eyes out because I didn't want to leave. Is it bad that I feel like that every time I have to leave now?
My earliest memories though are from EPCOT and Figment. The original JII was my favorite and we had to ride it as many times as possbile. I also remember all of the bushes that were made to look like animals.
There was one time, and I know it's on video somewhere, where we stood in line to see Mickey for what seemed like an hour. Finally to get up there, and my brother stole all of Mickey's attention and I wanted to give him a hug so badly.

Zippy_D_DooDah
06-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Does anyone remember those juice drinks in plastic containers made to look like the fruit of the juice inside? I remember the grape one was a clump of grapes and the orange was in an orange. I was obsessed!

I totally forgot about those!!! I may even have some in a box somewhere. I save everything... not just Disney stuff, EVERYTHING... I'm a pack rat. I've been trying to break myself of that habit.

Some of the souveniers that I have found while simplifying include:
1. A Bobbies Hat (1983 EPCOT)
2. Pen Light - (Contemporary)
3. EPCOT Coin circa 1983
4. Stuffed Figment
5. I still Have a Mickey Mouse Letter T Key Chain. It's been holding my keys since 1998.

septembergirl
06-02-2007, 05:22 PM
The Castle!:pixie:

krorx
06-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I never got to go as a kid, even though I vividly remember my friend in fifth grade going and staying at the Contemporary. I'd have to say my first and favorite memory was the look in my little girl's five year old eyes when she first spied Cinderella's castle. It was worth every penny we spent and has kept us coming back as often as possible.

TinkiTime1989
06-13-2007, 04:34 AM
My first trip was in 1995 and I was almost 6 years old. At the time I was obsessed with Snow White. My mom had made me a Snow White dress for Halloween and I took it with us. I wore my dress proudly on our first day and while watching the afternoon parade in MK there she was, Snow White herself. I was in awe and then to top it all off she came over, bent down next to me, and gave me a kiss on the cheek, bright red lipstick and all. I was so happy and that's all I talked about for weeks.

kaerbear178
06-13-2007, 11:16 AM
The first time I went was when I was 19. I remember that the first thing we did was go to the World Showcase in Epcot and the first ride we went on was Maelstrom.

DisneyFreak23
06-13-2007, 11:41 AM
My first memory was during my trip when i was 7.

When i first went on ToT the room where they give you the briefing practically scared the living daylights out of me. I had to bury my head into my dad's side.

My dad and i were waiting in the queue and i was quite scared. I remember getting to the load area and i just started freaking out. I was crying and telling daddy that i did NOT want to get on this ride. So we got on the 'chicken out' elevator and i remember asking my dad if this elevator was scary. I also remember that there were two other girls my age with their dads and we(the girls) all looked scared.

Then of course, my dad made me try to go on again about two days later. He promised he would give me 5$ if i went on. Money, being quite the incentive it is, i convinced my self i would go. And i did. I screamed bloody murder.

When we got off my dad gave me 5$ and i got a pin (that i still have) that says 'I survived Tower of Terror'

That briefing room still freaks me out and i can NOT stand that music.

:mickey3:

:stitch:

P.S. now, if only my brother would ride it, last time he got offered 10$ and refused!

LoriMistress
06-13-2007, 06:14 PM
My first WDW memory was when I was little watching The Wonderful World of Disney and seeing Walt Disney (and old shows/commercials) of the Disney Parks. Also, I would use to watch TGIF as a child and they would always promote WDW...also ABC (like Roseanne.) At any rate, my cousins would always talk about how many times they've been and so many great memories. I was so jealous of them!

Finally, I got to go to WDW in November 2003 when DH and I were on our honeymoon. My first memory was riding on MEARS and seeing the sign, WELCOME TO WDW!

ccchild
06-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Like a few others have said, my first WDW memory isn't the most positive one: when I was little, I was terrified of the characters!:scared:

It's surprising how much I love WDW today! You'd think those things would've scarred me for life!

elmjimmlm
06-14-2007, 12:41 PM
I remember when we got there that we parked in the parking lot at MK and it was marked Grumpy...I knew right there that I was going to love Disney World.

MushuGrl
06-15-2007, 10:51 AM
I didn't go until 2003 - I was 28 years old. I'll never forget the feeling of going under the "WELCOME TO WALT DISNEY WORLD" sign for the very first time.

Since we were staying in the Contemporary, we went through the MK gate, and there was a guy that was CONSTANTLY dancing. We passed over the gate the next day going to EPCOT via monorail..he was STILL dancing. :D