PDA

View Full Version : Little Mermaid closing?

Suz36
05-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Has anyone heard anything recently about The Voyage of the Little Mermaid closing?

JPL
05-30-2007, 12:35 PM
There was some speculation that it might close with the new Broadway Musical coming out soon. But nothing has been confirmed and no rumours have really floated down the pipeline.

Wrigley
05-30-2007, 01:20 PM
I sure hope it doesn't close! I am excited about taking my DD to it on our next vacation!

DisneyNut2005
05-30-2007, 01:50 PM
VoTLM is not going away anytime soon.

Besides, even though Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King became Broadway shows, they did not have any effect on the Beauty and the Beast and Lion King stage shows at WDW.

So, if BatB and TLK can exist as theme park shows and as Broadway shows at the same time, so can The Little Mermaid.

snifflesmcg
05-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Oh I hope not!!!!!!! If they want to change a ride they can pick "sounds dangerous".

Ian
05-30-2007, 01:58 PM
If it did close, I wouldn't think it would be until some time in 2008 at the earliest since they're already in the process of building the new Toy Story Mania attraction.

They rarely work on two new attractions for one park at the same time.

BrerSchultzy
05-30-2007, 03:05 PM
If it did close, I wouldn't think it would be until some time in 2008 at the earliest since they're already in the process of building the new Toy Story Mania attraction.

They rarely work on two new attractions for one park at the same time.

I can't believe I'm saying this about Disney, but...

Who said anything about "replacing it" with anything. It sure wouldn't be the last time in the last decade that Disney has shut something down without replacing it with anything (Hunchback comes to mind).

But I tend to agree with everyone else...I'd be surprised if it was going anywhere. If anything, they might think about making the queue a little more accessible.

GrumpyFan
05-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Funny, I just got the 2007 Unofficial Guide over the weekend, and was reading in it last night about this. I think it was a blurb by Jim Hill and he stated the reason behind was due to the Broadway opening of The Little Mermaid, and that Disney would probably do like they did with Tarzan Rocks! I remember reading it and going "Huh?!?!? That doesn't make sense?!?!"

So, consider the source. I like Jim Hill, and occasionally he has some good insider information and makes a good prediction, but there are other times when he's just out there.

JCDarzi
05-30-2007, 05:37 PM
I can't imagine them closing it. It's the favorite for my princess loving daughter in all of WDW. With the princess craze in full-force, I can't see Disney shutting down one of it's princess-themed venues.

jefmblrd
05-31-2007, 05:07 AM
I would be very surprised if it closed. While I'm sure this is not true all of the time, it's always been crowded when I've gone to see it. I would be more inclined to say that Tarzan Rocks closed because it wasn't a great show.

DisneyNut2005
05-31-2007, 09:28 PM
Funny, I just got the 2007 Unofficial Guide over the weekend, and was reading in it last night about this. I think it was a blurb by Jim Hill and he stated the reason behind was due to the Broadway opening of The Little Mermaid, and that Disney would probably do like they did with Tarzan Rocks! I remember reading it and going "Huh?!?!? That doesn't make sense?!?!"

So, consider the source. I like Jim Hill, and occasionally he has some good insider information and makes a good prediction, but there are other times when he's just out there.

Actually, just like Al Lutz, Jim Hill is ALWAYS out there and doesn't really have inside info at all.

He writes too many articles and stuff that don't make sense.

J9
05-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Honestly, I kinda hope it does close. This used to be my favorite show as a kid, but the past 6-7 years or so I think its starting to look pretty dated. I wouldn't mind if they rehabbed the show and did a complete overhaul of the script and show elements though. There's so much more they could have done with the story of the Little Mermaid, and I sort of think that the Voyage of the Little Mermaid falls short. If it doesn't close, it should at least receive the TLC it needs!

Queen Stephanie
06-01-2007, 12:14 AM
I think it would be a huge mistake the Disney Administrators to close The Little Mermaid Show at Studios. As a parent of a little girl, I can tell you that we always head straight over to this show because of the realistic details in the show. In my opinion, VOTLM is one of the top billings at the Studios...so whoever is contemplating closing this ride should be careful to consider at least moving it to MK if it must be closed at Studios. :secret:The Queen

GrmGrninGost
06-02-2007, 10:24 PM
TLM is not one of my favorites. But, I hope they keep it a good long time. We take our DD every trip and she loves it! ( So does DW) What needs to be looked at is keeping things that can be seen and done as a FAMILY! Everything does not have to be scary or thrilling! ( This coming from a guy who loves Roller Coasters)

kakn7294
06-04-2007, 02:07 AM
I think it would be a mistake for them to close VoTLM. There's not a lot for young children at MGM. ToT, RnRC, and Star Tours all have height restrictions making them unsuitable for youngsters. Most of the other stuff appeals more to older children. You really only have Beauty & the Beast, Muppets 3-D, Playhouse Disney (talk about dated - most of those shows aren't even on anymore!) and VoTLM to entertain young children.

little disney lovers
06-04-2007, 02:22 AM
I sure hope not, We are heading to WDW for our fist time early next year, And TLM has been one of the rides that my DD6 has been very excited about. If they do, I hope they replace it with something else Ariel related. She really is quite unique princess, What other princess has a tail?

:mickey:

Experiment626
06-04-2007, 04:47 PM
I hope not I LOVE Voyage. However if they were to remove it I could see them building the Little Mermaid darkride that they show on the dvd of little mermaid that would at least replace mermaid with mermaid.