PDA

View Full Version : Leaving a Legacy!

mdearmas
05-29-2007, 01:45 PM
I heard a rumor that they are going to stop selling the tiles. are they removing existing tiles? I really hope not! Anyone got any info?:mickey:

kakn7294
05-29-2007, 03:29 PM
They are guaranteed to be on display somewhere on Disney property for so many years - I think it was 50 years from them Millenium or something like that. However, just because they are guaranteed to be on display doesn't mean in the current location - Disney reserves the right to move them to another location on property but it would have to be somewhere with public access, although not necessarily a busy location. It's basically about as clear as mud.

Funcruiser56
05-29-2007, 04:13 PM
I would be happy to see them moved elsewhere I think they are a big eyesore at the entrance to Epcot...perhaps the Wonders of Life pavilion- might just as well use it for something!

Bev

mousetrapper
05-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Maybe they're only an eyesore for those who don't have tiles of loved ones (or themselves) installed on the stones!

;)

I love the site...and we always rush to find our DDs' pics the first thing upon our arrival at EPCOT. Such a sentimental thing for us...it was our first visit and DDs were 8 & 5....now they're 16 & 13!!

We may do another one now that they're older!

DizneyRox
05-30-2007, 09:07 AM
I think they need to be in their current location for a couple years still. I think 2009 or 2010 they can move them.

The "contract" we signed when we got them said something about 10 years I think. I'd have to dig it out to be sure, but I'm too lazy to look now.

Figment!
05-30-2007, 09:10 AM
There are unconfirmed reports that sales will stop mid-June 2007; however, there is currently no indication that any of the existing tiles would be modified in the near future.

Lauretta
05-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Maybe they're only an eyesore for those who don't have tiles of loved ones (or themselves) installed on the stones!

;)

I love the site...and we always rush to find our DDs' pics the first thing upon our arrival at EPCOT. Such a sentimental thing for us...it was our first visit and DDs were 8 & 5....now they're 16 & 13!!

We may do another one now that they're older!

Exactly! We enjoy finding the tile with our 2 daughters' images. Our "contract" said for 20 years they would remain there. Hopefully they will be able to show their children.
BTW, I don't think that they're an eyesore at all. I find the "megaliths" awesome and impressive.

DizNee143
05-30-2007, 10:13 AM
oooh i hope they dont stop selling the leave a legacy tiles...they still have sooo much space to put so many more!!...i have already done 3 of them..its the first thing i do when i get there now..i go look for all the ones ive done!!..i think they are really cool..and dont think they are an eyesore at all..not like there was anything all that fascinating in front of Epcot before them!...how long has leave a legacy been going on for now??...anyone know? :mickey:

Hayden's Dad
05-30-2007, 11:18 AM

I have to agree 100%. We have a tile of my DW and myself before our son was born and this last trip we did one with my son and I. I think the CM told us they would be guaranteed to be on display until at least 2030.

biodtl
05-30-2007, 12:15 PM
I hope they don't stop selling them, either. My kids wanted to buy one last time, and somehow we managed to forget! I wouldn't mind if they moved them, as long as it was a public-access area.

mcjaco
05-30-2007, 02:12 PM
..and dont think they are an eyesore at all..not like there was anything all that fascinating in front of Epcot before them!...

This drives me nuts. Disney removed gorgeous gardens and trees to put these monolithic hulks of granite in. It completely detracts from the entrance. It was such an incredible entrance with the gorgeous trees and colorful flowers in all areas, highlighting SSE. It was warming. Now it's cold and impersonable. I'd rather they keep the wand and remove these rocks.

TheRustyScupper
05-30-2007, 03:17 PM
1) They are stopping the sales this Summer.
2) To me, this is a good thing.
3) The tombstones greatly distract from Epcot.
4) The serenity and beauty of the entrance is marred.

NOTE: I have heard the rumors of the tombstones being moved to another area of the park. I am hoping somewhere around the area of Energy, and somewhat out of sight. This would significantly open the entrance area to something of beauty.

Iluvpooh
05-30-2007, 03:31 PM
We have 2 tiles, one from our honeymoon and one from our first trip with the kids. That being said-I can't stand them! I think they look like a graveyard for giants.

AvonleaCF
05-30-2007, 03:37 PM

NOTE: I have heard the rumors of the tombstones being moved to another area of the park. I am hoping somewhere around the area of Energy, and somewhat out of sight. This would significantly open the entrance area to something of beauty.

Agree 100%.

youngdreamers
05-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Hey, this is my first reply/post, new member here. Well, I was at Epcot for my parents 27th ann. today and wanted to get them a tile, but they did not want one :(. I talked the CM though and she said they are stopping sales of tiles soon, but they will stay up. For how long? I am not sure. So all I can say is, if you want one better get it soon. Hope this helps.

Sammyjo
05-30-2007, 08:56 PM
I hope they move the tombstones. I miss the pretty walk up to epcot there. I wouldn't mind if they would take the hat at the studios with them. I really miss the view of chinese theater.

Polynesian Dweller
05-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Disney actually only agrees to display them somewhere on the property for 20 years. They do not guarantee location. After 20 years they have the right to permanently remove them. Just a guess, but if they are halting sales it would sound like they are getting ready to move them in the future.

I know that they mean a lot to people who bought them, I just wish Disney had designed the monoliths to fit better into the existing grey/metallic future world scheme. As they are, they seem out of place in front of Spaceship Earth. Maybe in some other location they might look better, just hope they make sure people can locate them easily if they do move them.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-30-2007, 09:04 PM

:thumbsup:

Mickey91
05-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Actually, I think calling them tombstones is very insulting to those of us with memories etched on them. They fit the modern/futuristic feel of EPCOT. Their architectural design is in line with many of the new buildings of today. Just because something isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean you have to bash it.

JPL
05-30-2007, 09:52 PM
I have seen and heard several hints that they will be moving the tiles someplace else along with the possible removal of the wand. I am hoping all these rumours and hints are true :thumbsup:

Iluvpooh
05-30-2007, 10:38 PM
My guess is with the anniversary coming up, they want the park entrance to look like the EPCOT of old. Heck, who knows with Disney!

PirateLover
05-30-2007, 10:58 PM

1) I don't mind them
2) I have left a legacy myself
3) To the best of my knowledge, I am not dead
4) I wouldn't mind if they were moved to another area
:mickey:

RAIDER
05-31-2007, 03:40 AM
I have left a legacy ..but i have to agree its now taking over the entrance of Epcot now and would have no objections if they were moved to another part of the park .... Infact whats stopping them making separate space for them within the park for people to mull around :mickey:

Christine
05-31-2007, 09:35 AM
I think the Legacy tiles are very important to those who have left one, especially those guests that have done so to honor a WDW memory with loved ones who are no longer (or soon will be no longer be) with them.

Whatever they choose to do, I hope guests who have a tile will have the opportunity to view it for years to come.

DizNee143
05-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Actually, I think calling them tombstones is very insulting to those of us with memories etched on them. They fit the modern/futuristic feel of EPCOT. Their architectural design is in line with many of the new buildings of today. Just because something isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean you have to bash it.

very very well said!!! i completely agree with you!!!! :mickey:

crazeedizneefinatic
05-31-2007, 01:24 PM
I agree with moving them. It does clutter up the entrance of Epcot. It can be a cool idea but the wrong place to put them. They should be located in a quiet, serene place for those who bought one to enjoy. When I think of "leave a legacy" I picture a garden to reflect on the past. They look to harsh at the entrance.

Momof2boys
05-31-2007, 02:09 PM
We had the boys do a tile in October 05. They loved finding it last year & we've steered friends & family to it over the past 18 months. While I love the concept of the tiles, I don't think they are in a good location. Personally, I love looking at them and with being placed at the entrance people rush pass them.

PrincessCandaceMarie
05-31-2007, 04:32 PM
I love my tile!!! :mickey:

chrisb26
06-01-2007, 01:55 AM
While I was there last week they had the area where you can read about it right behind all the tiles and small fountain thing boarded off. They actually did this while I was there on Sunday it wasn't there and Monday it was.

I personally don't mind them as I don't look at them very long. I have always considered getting one altough I never have.

I would agree with moving them someplace else could be better except then we would have a big open area in the entrence of the park. I think they could put them in DTD someplace they might fit better there maybe.

Gator
06-02-2007, 08:35 PM
I happen to have a picture up there. And in 40 years, if I'm dead, I want my kids to be able to see a picture of their parents in the "old" days.

I know, let's remove the bricks in front of MK. It soooo tacky having peoples names printed all over what should be a serene area. What? Don't remove those? Why, because you have your names on the bricks and not the monoliths?:thedolls:

disneymom2000
06-02-2007, 08:44 PM
well either way, I hope they make a big post when they are planning the renovation (if there is one) because I don't want to plan a vacation during the time this would be going on.:blush:

2Epcot
06-02-2007, 08:50 PM
I have seen and heard several hints that they will be moving the tiles someplace else along with the possible removal of the wand. I am hoping all these rumours and hints are true :thumbsup:

I am hoping the same.

1) I don't mind them
2) I have left a legacy myself
3) To the best of my knowledge, I am not dead
4) I wouldn't mind if they were moved to another area
:mickey:

Ditto .... though, I never did like the location of them. I would love to see the entrance go back to the day's without the tiles, and the wand.