PDA

View Full Version : Everest

mercedes
05-29-2007, 01:01 PM
We are heading down in july. I have read that the everest ride goes backworks. My wife gets motion sick.Forthose that have rode, how much of the ride do you go backwards. She can handle the railroad,just wondering if it compares. thanks

Zippy_D_DooDah
05-29-2007, 01:09 PM
It goes backwards for a lot longer than I would have thought, but it happens very quickly. I felt fine when I got off. Every now and then I will get a bit queezy after getting off a coaster, but it is usually coasters with loops. No loops on Everest.

Disney Doll
05-29-2007, 01:34 PM
I does go backwards, but it seems pretty short to me. I have a stomach of steel and can ride almost anything,, but your wife might want to be a little cautious about Everest. Not only does it go backwards, but there is a pretty tight curve as you are traveling backwards so you get not only the backward motion, but a bit of a spin too. I do think this coaster is more intense than Big Thunder Mtn. Railroad.

DizneyRox
05-29-2007, 02:06 PM
I'd guess about 1/4 to 1/3 of the track is backwards. It's also seems like the quickest portion of the ride as well, so it goes quicker. As others have said, it's not oly backwards it's also a fast helix I think which makes it more intense as well.

There's no comparison betweeen Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Expedition Everest. Everest is more extreme and is more disorienting for most I would guess.

Momof2boys
05-29-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm not a roller coaster fan by any means (RnRC scrambles my head), but my boys 8 & 6 BEGGED me to ride Everest with them. I sucked it up and went on . . . it wasn't bad, but then again I had my eyes closed & screamed the whole time. I was surprised at how smooth the track was, it wasn't jerky which I think helped a lot !

Goofy Texan
05-29-2007, 08:26 PM
I recommend you try Sea Bands for motion sickness. They are knit bracelets with a plastic button that presses on the inner wrist of each hand. It's supposed to press on the nerve that sends nausea signals to the brain.

I wore them to Six Flags the other day and survived being spun around by two teenagers in a teacup. The only time they haven't worked 100% is if I've just eaten or drank a lot, but even then I was only bothered for a little bit afterward. I also recently had dental surgery and wore them and I didn't need take the prescribed nausea pills.

The thing I like best is they are not medicine. I can put them on when I need them and take them off when I'm done.

You can buy them at just about any discount or drug store. I highly recommend them!

Sharon1026
05-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Both my DH and I felt queasy when we got off of everest. Good news - it passed in 5 or 10 minutes.

It's a pretty intense ride.

jonsmom
05-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Try carrying those starlight peppermints. Peppermint oil is good for motion sickness.

tundramom
05-29-2007, 09:06 PM
I get motion sick pretty easily, Everest did not bother me. It depends on what makes you sick: the visual or vestibular component. Visual is where your eyes and brain don't sync up like car sickness,teacups (my type) in which case you close your eyes for that portion. Vestibular is the dizzy/head spinning that you get from your inner ear- like when you roll too quickly (ie: looping coasters) which shouldn't bother her too much unless she has a severe case of Meniere's or BPPV. By the way both are quite treatable by a Physical Therapist who specializes in Vestibular rehab:thumbsup: But back to your dilemma...if she likes rides like BTTMR and is not afraid to try I say go for it! The time going backwards is longer than I anticipated at first but the really intense part of the helix is at the very end of the backwards portion, seeing the Yeti will make her forget all about it;)

RAIDER
05-30-2007, 07:23 AM
I am an absolute wooosie when it comes rollercoasters ...but i must say EE was one of the best thrill rides i have ever been on. And i agree with another person who said the ride was incredibly smooth .... It the height that makes you
cringe ....:thumbsup:

Stu29573
05-30-2007, 08:45 AM
I get motion sick pretty easily, Everest did not bother me. It depends on what makes you sick: the visual or vestibular component. Visual is where your eyes and brain don't sync up like car sickness...

You know, I never thought about it that way. I now realize that my motion sickness is TOTALLY visual (I can't read in a car for more than about 15 seconds without feeling sick- but I can spin like crazy with no problem). So, you think that Everest is ok if you have visual motion sickness?