PDA

View Full Version : Accident at Animal Kingdom

BriarRose0708
05-29-2007, 12:44 PM
From the Orlando Sentinel:

Five Walt Disney World guests and an employee were transported to the hospital Tuesday morning after the Kali River Rapids ride at Animal Kingdom was evacuated.

One of the rides' sensors caused the flumes to stop as they were traveling up a steep incline, prompting an evacuation about 10:20 a.m., said Bo Jones, deputy fire chief of the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

A platform designed to help transfer guests from the ride to the exit stairs malfunctioned during the evacuation.

One Disney employee may have suffered a bone fracture and the five guests suffered other minor injuries such as bruises and neck and back pain, Jones said.

The injured people included three teenagers, one 21-year-old and two people in their 40s.

Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said the reason the ride stopped is being investigated along with how the evacuation platform malfunctioned.

Kali River Rapids remains closed for now, she said.

"Our primary concern is for those who are impacted by the incident," Prunty said. "We're trying to determine what happened."http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...home-headlines (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-bk-dizride052907,0,4415309.story?coll=orl-home-headlines)

Speedy1998
05-29-2007, 12:51 PM
If it is the major networks have not picked it up yet.

Dyanna
05-29-2007, 01:01 PM
If this is indeed the case I hope all injuries are not too serious. Why were they working on/over a ride when it was in use? I thought all work was done during the night when the rides were closed.

Zippy_D_DooDah
05-29-2007, 01:05 PM
I just checked the AP wire and there is nothing on this accident. It would be awful if it is true.

Ian
05-29-2007, 01:31 PM
A quick Google search didn't turn anything up, but that probably doesn't mean anything. It frequently takes some time for this stuff to break nationally.

disneydrmr
05-29-2007, 01:44 PM
I checked out the tv news station web sites in Orlando and found this....

6 Suffer Minor Injuries On Animal Kingdom Ride

WESH2
POSTED: 1:07 pm EDT May 29, 2007
UPDATED: 1:24 pm EDT May 29, 2007

Six people were hurt Tuesday morning while riding an attraction at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

It happened around 10:30 a.m. on the Kali River Rapids ride, WESH 2 News reported.

Authorities said all of the injuries were minor.

Officials with the Reedy Creek Fire Department said it's not known if the ride flipped or listed severely.

Five of the victims were transported to Florida Hospital-Celebration Health and one was transported to Dr. Phillips Hospital.

disneyfan369
05-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Wow, that's terrible! I hope everyone is okay.

snifflesmcg
05-29-2007, 02:07 PM
I searched and searched and have come up with nothing. I even found an amusement park safety site that gave accidents in parks all over the country, last listing a roller coaster malfuncation at Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. I hope it's not true.

tink'72
05-29-2007, 02:40 PM
I was just on {another site} and it was updated at 2pm. 6 people were sent to the hospital with minor injuries after a piece of scaffolding fell and hit one of the rafts on Kali River Rapids.

I know they say minor injuries, I just hope nobody was badly injured.

Stu29573
05-29-2007, 04:01 PM
It's true, and it's starting to pop up on the web. At least it sounds like other than a broken bone for a cast member, no other "real" injuries were involved- just bumps and bruises. I was a little afraid it was a 6 Flags type deal.....Very bad....

2Epcot
05-29-2007, 04:29 PM
CNN is now doing stories on this. No new information was in the story that I saw.

Kate In Wonderland
05-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Oh yikes! That's scary!

cgriff
05-29-2007, 06:09 PM
The ride apparently didn't injure the guests. They were injured while evacuating the ride! It will probably be determined that if the active boats had just been allowed to proceed through the ride and return to the dock normally, everything would have been ok... A case of being so cautious that it actually caused harm.

Thankfully injuries were only minor.

Sharon1026
05-29-2007, 08:38 PM
OK, I have to fess up. It was all my fault.

After eating for an entire week on the DDP, I sat in the raft and, unfortunately, when I plopped down, the raft flipped over.

Stupid Dole Whips.

snifflesmcg
05-29-2007, 08:42 PM
OK, I have to fess up. It was all my fault.

After eating for an entire week on the DDP, I sat in the raft and, unfortunately, when I plopped down, the raft flipped over.

Stupid Dole Whips.

Ha Ha Ha:)

Dakota Rose
05-29-2007, 09:15 PM
I wonder how quickly word gets around the parks when this happens. I know 3 families that are there today.

Figment!
05-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Update from WESH2:
Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said a safety sensor detected an undetermined problem and stopped the ride.

Prunty said the platform is routinely check each morning, and was found to be working properly on Tuesday morning.

Five of the victims were transported to Florida Hospital-Celebration Health and one was transported to Dr. Phillips Hospital.

As of 4:15 p.m., Disney announced it has reopened the Kali River Rapids ride, removed from service the evacuation platform that malfunctioned and said they will use an alternate evacuation process to evacuate guests if necessary.

The ride has been tested for function and is running properly, officials said.

MinnieMommie
05-30-2007, 07:04 AM
I am sorry this happened and hope all are well and glad to learn that Kali is up and running and safe. I heard this story on CNN Headline news late last night/early this morning. :mickey:

DisneyBabe
05-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Goodness, I hope everythings ok! Were leaving for AK in a few minutes... I was planning to ride it, too. Hopefully it will be up and running correctly!:thumbsup:

Lynn J Mc
05-30-2007, 09:12 AM
They were having trouble with Kali and EE last week while we where there. We were in line to get on Kali when they shut it down. I was very disappointed about EE. We were watching one of the coasters go up the hill when the ride stalled. They shut it down shortly after that.

WDWdriver
05-30-2007, 09:38 AM
The evacuation platform they are talking about is a metal structure on rollers that the CMs can push up the incline next to the lift at the beginning of the ride. Guests are told to step from their raft onto the platform and then down some steps to exit.

Aurora
05-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Oh my! So the platform itself may have malfunctioned? That would have been really scary on top of being evacuated. Those poor people.

We were at Disney's California Adventure in 2005 when the California Screamin' roller coaster malfunctioned and people were slightly injured. There were four helicopters swirling around the park, but we had no idea what happened until we got to our hotel room that night and saw it on the news.

We were also at WDW when the guy stepped off the Splash Mountain log and was killed. We found out the ride was closed but didn't know why. I think we're bad luck!

rsumrall
05-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Does Disney comp people's stay or something when some unfortunate incident like this occurs? I know we live in an "age of entitlement" which I sorely despise, but I DO think they should make some sort of reparations. These folks, at the least, missed a day of their vacation in the emergency room.

sgdisney
05-31-2007, 06:23 AM
This was on our local news this morning. Two of the "victims" were from this area and are 18 year olds on their senior trip. The news said they were treated and released.

BrerSchultzy
05-31-2007, 09:09 AM
So...did anyone see the "Are Theme Parks Safe for Your Children" story on Fox News this morning? This is getting ridiculous. They made it sound like WDW is falling to pieces, because of the "lack of attention paid to these 30 year old rides". Yes...people got hurt, and I hope they are okay...it sounds like they are. But accidents happen. The simple fact is, the ride TO the theme park is FAR MORE DANGEROUS than any rides IN the theme park. I think they should run a story about how RARELY accidents happen at theme parks across the country.

I feel better.

Stu29573
05-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Gee, I had no idea Kali was 30 years old. They must have built the park around it.....
:rolleyes:

Doug The Disney Man`
05-31-2007, 09:31 AM
First, it was Fox News. Second, the line about 30 year old rides? AK hasn't even been in existence 10 years and I can hardly think of any ride at WDW that is 30 y.o. Third, how often do accidents actually occur? I mean ones that result in real injuries: broken bones, stitches, concussions, etc. And when you consider the millions of people at amusement parks everyday, that would make parks safer than the office! Plus Disney always gets blasted first. They are the biggest name in amusement parks. Just like McDonald's is always the target of blame for Americans unhealthy eating habits. They are the biggest name in fast food, but probably not the unhealthiest!

It sounds like everyone is okay,which is good, and if I know Disney, those involved will receive something for their troubles-free nights, free meals, personal meet/greet or something.

Leaving in 5 Weeks for the Most Magical Place on Earth!

Sharon1026
05-31-2007, 03:44 PM
So...did anyone see the "Are Theme Parks Safe for Your Children" story on Fox News this morning? This is getting ridiculous. They made it sound like WDW is falling to pieces, because of the "lack of attention paid to these 30 year old rides". Yes...people got hurt, and I hope they are okay...it sounds like they are. But accidents happen. The simple fact is, the ride TO the theme park is FAR MORE DANGEROUS than any rides IN the theme park. I think they should run a story about how RARELY accidents happen at theme parks across the country.

I feel better.

Leave it to Faux News...

Disney Maniac
06-04-2007, 05:24 PM
I was there at AK on Tuesday and was wondering why it was closed. I can't believe that happened!! I hope that the six people will be ok.