PDA

View Full Version : The Bugs we Love to Hate

SallyP
05-29-2007, 11:10 AM
If you are headed to Florida beware!
I don't know about central Florida but here in southwest Florida we are in a MAJOR Lovebug swarm. Our poor cars are just smeard with the remnants. On the golf courses if you take a stance to swing or putt, they are landing on your legs.
We have been here 10 years now and this is the ablsolute worst I can remember. Any where there is vegetation the critters are thick. They lay their eggs in grass.
I've read and heard that Johnson's Baby shampoo is the best for getting them off the car. It is important to get the yucky body fluids off the car or they can ruin a paint job. A local radion DJ also said a used Bounty dryer sheet could help get them off too. Haven't tried that yet.
They don't sting or bite, they are just a major nuisance and annoyance.

disneydeb
05-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Any ideas on how the infestation will be in October?

crazeedizneefinatic
05-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Oh No! We were in Disney last September and it was awful, they were everywhere! I hope this is not a sign of what's to come. We are headed back down this September, wait till I tell my son!

snifflesmcg
05-29-2007, 12:33 PM
I had heard a good way of keeping bugs off of cars it just to add a bit of WD40 to the bumper. I don't know about paint (I'm sure it would be fine). Also, PAM works. I hate those lovebugs. They were everywhere last September.

PirateLover
05-29-2007, 12:46 PM
We were at WDW from may 15th-21st and the love bugs were EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! The worst was Typhoon Lagoon for us. They all seemed to swarm around the lockers. Yuck!

divinedi
05-29-2007, 01:42 PM
We were there also last September, the lovebugs were just awful:mad:, I wouldn't even sit outside because of them, they just swarmed around you chair if you did. People were all walking around with their remains on the seat of their pants etc. from sitting on them, definitely a messy nuisance!

Makes me think twice about going back in September, didn't know they were just as bad in May:(

bratmaster
05-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Good grief. We are getting the 17 year cicadas here and we thought we were going to avoid them for 2 weeks!
I don't remember EVER seeing a bug in disney - i just always assumed they sprayed really well to keep them out of the parks. Am i wrong?? Anyone been recently and NOT been bothered by bugs?? Give me a pep talk if so b/c we are leaving friday!

sillyolbear
05-29-2007, 03:47 PM
They were certainly out in force last week.

baby minnie's mommy
05-29-2007, 04:13 PM
The lovebugs are definitely visiting Disney right now. We were there Memorial weekend and had a bunch at MK. Not major swarms, but we'd often have to swat a bug off of us.

As for October, I can't remember us having a problem down here with lovebugs during that month. I wouldn't worry about it. October can be a very beautiful time of year down here.