PDA

View Full Version : Vote Please! Poly or WL

RaRaRoundTheWorld
05-29-2007, 10:53 AM
For our next trip, we're trying to decide between the Poly or the WL. We have preschoolers and loved rolling onto the monorail on our last trip to the GF. This time, we'll be coming off the heels of an off-site week with the family and wanted to finish off our trip, *our way* for 2 or 3 days at either the Poly or WL. We liked the Poly just from walking around it & you can't beat the monorail, but my DH likes the theme of the WL better.
I don't see a lot of kid-friendly things mentioned about the WL, no characters, etc.
What did you all like better? The Poly or the WL?

illini
05-29-2007, 11:31 AM
I haven't stayed at either, but my vote goes to the Poly. With preschoolers, it's going to be easier getting around and that pool just can't be beat.

I admit to WL being pretty much off my radar, though, since I have 3 kids and no intentions of paying for a "deluxe" room at the WL.

WishingStar2006
05-29-2007, 12:04 PM
There may not be "character's" at the WL but the place is VERY kid friendly. The restaurant, Whispering Canyon, is perfect for little ones. There's a huge lobby (like the GF only mountain-y), there's a caricature artist, there's a game room, there's tether ball down on the beach, there's bycicle built for two and a little "surry with a fringe on top" as well as all the water craft. There are boats to the Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary (if you want to catch the monorail there). And the pool at WL is lots of fun and they do planned activities with the little ones....check it out....it's a lot cheaper than the poly and we wouldn't stay anywhere else (unless we could afford two MK View Tower Rooms at the Contemporary!!! :clappy:).

Have fun! :mickey::tink::tink:

tarzan_rocks
05-29-2007, 12:25 PM
We will be staying at WL in August, our first ever deluxe experience at WDW. We have two little ones and find that strollering onto the boats to be easier than the monorails. The monorails get very crowded during peak times and are hard to maneuver on and off with all the other people. Also the kids feel more claustrophobic surrounded by a bunch of strangers and not being able to see out or sometimes even mom and dad. Don’t get me wrong, we love the monorails when they are relatively empty. The boats allow for more relaxing transportation for the kids in strollers even during the busiest times.

Aside from the transportation issue, we also love the theming at WL much more than the Poly. We even bought a set of old WL furniture from mousesurplus last year when they did the remodel. WL is less expensive than the Poly. You won’t find characters in any resort except at the restaurants. You can always eat at any resort’s restaurant. Whispering Canyon in the WL is a fun place to eat for the entire family but no characters. If it’s a character experience you want then you are a short boat ride away from the FW campfire program, Mickey’s Backyard BBQ and Chef Mickey’s at the Contemporary.

tr

Nicki'sMom
05-29-2007, 08:19 PM
I was REALLY torn this year between the Poly and WL and two things made me choose the WL. #1. we have a 3 yr old and all of the rooms are connected to lobby indoors and we figure the walk to buses,lobby,food,etc. will be closer. #2. the price is much lower. I will stay at the Poly when our daughter gets to be 5 or 6 years old. Or maybe we will fall in love with WL. Who knows...can't wait until Sept.!!!!!!!!!!

Mom2princesses
05-29-2007, 09:44 PM
I have a 3 year old and the main reason we picked the Poly is because of the monorail access. Yes at peak times they can be crowded but so can the boats and if you prefer taking a boat you can do that as well to the Poly. We also love the Poly not only for having a great location but also because the atmosphere is wonderful, 2 fantastic resturants, extremely large rooms, great pool, and you can walk to the TTC, nothing is that far of a walk what more can you ask? I would like to try the WL one day but not until my youngest is a bit older. I voted for the Poly! Just love it! :lei: :tikki: :papple:

tarzan_rocks
05-29-2007, 10:38 PM
An important point; you can't push strollers onto the boats that go to the Poly and GF. You have to take your children out and collapse the strollers. The boats that go to WL, FW, and the Contemporary allow you to push the strollers right on.

tr

mrsgaribaldi
05-30-2007, 01:37 AM
I have stayed at both and it's no contest for me, the Poly wins. We stayed at the WL about 4 years ago. We stayed at the Poly in Jan and we are planning on staying there again in Oct. If I could stay there every trip I would but I can't afford it. I absolutely love the Polynesian. Can't help with kids though, sorry.

WDWfeelslikehome
05-30-2007, 06:37 AM
"I went with WL. Your family will love it. The resort is great for children and parents. Its proximity to MK (boat ride is great), the extremely fun water mouse rentals, surrey bike rentals, the pool (and lounge), the EWP at night, close to FW for campfire movie/HDD/Mickey's Backyard BBQ, WL tours, ask about being a Flag Family, and who could forget WC. For a family like yours, you can't go wrong with WL.":thumbsup:
I quoted myself from another poll, WL is extremely kid friendly.

DisneyBarb
05-30-2007, 09:04 AM
If money is not an option, then hands down its the Poly... the fact that you can watch the fireworks from the beach (even from the pool) and then walk to you room with little ones is a huge advantage! I have stayed at both and think the rooms at the WL are much too noisy (walls are thinner?). The monorail is quicker than the boats/busses also.. The TTC to use for Epcot is great also.

Good luck!

Mickey91
05-30-2007, 09:24 AM
We love the WL. But, I love the Poly and I think with the zero entry pool and all the fun Hawaiin type activities, the Poly would be the most fun for kids. Plus, you can go out on their beach and see the MK fireworks and get a peak at Cinderellas Castle. There is just a more festive feel to the resort.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong either way. The WL has bunkbed rooms which are a hit with our DKs. Good luck deciding!:mickey:

darthmacho
05-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Okay, I LOVE the WL, it's my favorite resort, and agree with your DH about the theming, and yet I voted for the Poly. Why? Because you said you had toddlers and the monorail was more convenient with them. I say, always make things easier when it comes to accomodating little ones. The vacations are for them now.

Keep in mind two things, however. WL is far less expensive. WL also has a great water shuttle to MK, which is a nice change of pace from the monorail. :mickey:

tikiman
05-30-2007, 09:37 AM
An important point; you can't push strollers onto the boats that go to the Poly and GF. You have to take your children out and collapse the strollers. The boats that go to WL, FW, and the Contemporary allow you to push the strollers right on.

tr

The Large ferry boat that is right next to Tahiti longhouse at the TTC can be used to push strollers or wheelchairs onto to go to the MK and the trip takes half as long as going from the WL. Strollers can also be rolled onto the monorail.

Mackflava99
05-30-2007, 11:27 AM
They both are great-
Last year we were at Wilderness lodge- We normally like to stay at BC, but decided to switch. my kids had a ball!!
they have the hut on the beach that you can rent boats and bikes, we did alot of fun things- also the pool is terrific.
I was surprised how many cool animals we saw everyday walking around, deer, armadillos, game hen, turkeys, turtles, it was very

But PL is also excellent, so you really can't go wrong. the luau is so much fun

RaRaRoundTheWorld
05-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Wow! Thank you all so much!
I'm sort of surprised that so many more people voted for the Poly. It's just that I've had random people tell me that the WL is fun for kids. I can always count on you fellow Intercotees for a real, thoughtful opinion! I did notice a lot of kids at the Poly, but also a lot of "honeymooners" so maybe I got the wrong impression.

OK, I think I'm going to try for the Poly!!! YAAAAAAYYY!!!!!!

GrmGrninGost
05-30-2007, 11:56 PM
Even though I voted Poly, WL is my personal favorite of all the WDW resorts. But, for children, I think the Poly offers a few more fun things.

2Epcot
05-31-2007, 12:11 AM
I love both of these resorts and stayed at each for the first time on my last trip. I voted for the Poly. I love the theming, things like the volcano pool, and having the monorail come right to the resort is hard to beat. :mickey: