PDA

View Full Version : Senior Dog Worries

Jeff G
05-28-2007, 11:44 PM
I have a pug who just turned 12. Up until the past few months he has always acted as a 4-5 year old dog but the last few months have seen a quick decline in his sight and hearing. He has also had two accidents in the house over the past two weeks, both of which happened shortly after coming in from outside. We spoke to the vet and he said he is healthy and the hearing and sight are just age related.

The changes have happened very suddenly and we are starting to get worried about his health. He is a part of our family and has been with us shortly after getting married and through all four of our kids. He has been a great addition to our family who is very affectionate and very patient with all the kids, he never once nipped at any of them. From what I understand pugs have shorter lives than other breeds with a normal expectancy of 9-13 years.

I guess I'm looking for any ideas of whats to come or experiences anyone else may have had with aging dogs. Any tips to help him?

Hunter62186
05-29-2007, 01:09 AM
My dog is getting up there too. She's a maltese poodle cross and she's going blind as well and we have to shake her awake in the morning because she can't always hear us. I just try to be extra careful with watching my step as she tends to get underfoot more often, not being able to hear us moving/walking. I also try not to move things around so she knows where the furniture and stuff is. My only suggestion would be pamper him and love him. :)

MsMin
05-29-2007, 01:24 AM
A dear friend of mine has two pugs. I think 9-13 or 10-13 sounds about right for an average lifespan of a pug. Larger breeds tend to have a shorter lifespan but of course genetics and environment play their part.
Sending :pixie: for your pug :paw: We had our tough week with our pups and we cried hard when the 4 day old pup died. I know it's hard when we watch them fail. They spend their whole life trying to make you happy.
My mom's pom lived for 5 years with sight and hearing problems in fact she went through several years of doggie dialysis.
My niece's miniature poodle has suddenly started having accidents in the house, he is 9. Their vet says it's arthritis and it's the pain that is causing his incontinence. Like you she said he just changed overnight from acting like a playful pup to an aging pup.
Pamper him and enjoy the years you have left. Sorry I don't really know anything else but that it is possible that though the change is sudden, he will hopefully have several more years as a "senior" dog.

TooGoofy
05-29-2007, 06:15 AM
Has your vet checked him for bladder stones? That could be a cause of the accidents and they are fairly common in smaller dogs. They can do urinalysis and X-rays to check.

We lost our beloved Max (almost 15 year old miniature schnauzer) in January. It's very hard...but you will know when it's time to let him go.

:pixie: :paw: Doggie pixie dust to you! Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Marilyn Michetti
05-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Our old Bassett has valley fever, and had times where his back legs don't work, so the vet recommended a doggie life preserver, and we put Bentley in the pool for six minutes of Physical Therapy. We make him paddle for two min., then rest for two, etc. He's learned that if he doesn't paddle, he won't sink, so a little yank on his tail, and he's swimming again.

We do what we can because we love them, so any mild activity they can do with us will help. I hope the vet can help with the "puddling" in the house, and good luck with your baby.:paw:

Mickey'sGirl
05-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Has your vet checked him for bladder stones? That could be a cause of the accidents and they are fairly common in smaller dogs. They can do urinalysis and X-rays to check.
That's great advice Meg -- sometimes it's an infection that can be treated with anti-biotics! :thumbsup:

Our old dog growing up -- Muffin -- a fox terrier cross lived to be 17. She was blind for 10 of those years, and deaf for 7. She just slowed down, but was otherwise healthy until the day before she crossed the bridge. So, don't give up hope! :pixie:

DisneyDog
05-29-2007, 11:06 AM
We lost our 14 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi in December. He was suffering from dementia, which was causing all sorts of problems -- he kept trying to bite us, which was so unlike him. He was always the most gentle, affectionate dog. And suddenly, if you touched him in the wrong place at the wrong time, watch out. My 4 year old son was beginning to be scared of him (as was I, which was very difficult since he was my best friend).

The morning I was to take him to the vet's for "the last time" he completely went downhill. It's as if he knew he was being set free and gave in to it. It was the most difficult day of my life, and I miss him everyday. I was there with him when he passed, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. I had always promised him I would be there with him.

Towards the end he was sleeping most all of the time, was having trouble eating, and generally acting like an old man.

Cherish every day you have with your precious pup, be gentle and loving, and take lots and lots of photos and videos, so you'll always have those to look at.

jacknsally02
06-03-2007, 04:07 PM
We have a 12 yr old pug and she just had to have a bunch of teeth pulled and had some antibiotics after, and she really came around again, it might be something like that.

mrsgaribaldi
06-06-2007, 07:19 AM
A woman I work with had a dog that was old and starting to show her age like yours. She did what others have suggested and just really looked out for her and gave her alot of love. When the time was right and they saw she was suffering, they knew what they had to do. As sad as it is and as bad as you will feel, you'll know too. Enjoy your time together and really give him alot of love.
I hope it's something the vet can help him with :pixie::pixie::pixie:

hoop de do
06-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Definitely get to the vet asap. Being it was a sudden thing I'm leaning towards something that is treatable. One way or the other you and your family need to know what's going on. Please keep us advised and I hope we all helped you and yours a little. :thumbsup::dog:

Stitchahula
06-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Did they check to see if it was kidney related or maybe a urinary tract infection. UTI's can come on quickly and cause accidents. Some older dogs do get incontinent but there is meds that can help with accidents. Good luck

Jeff G
06-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all the kind words and advice.

Just to further clarify, we had him in to the vet in early May for rabies, heartworm and his annual exam. We had addressed the issues I mentioned with the vet and they did check him over and ran a few tests. The conclusion was he was healthy just aging. The vet was straight forward just not very informative of whats to come or comforting.

Being this is our first dog we've ever owned I was just looking for advice from other dog owners.

Again thanks so much!!!!