PDA

View Full Version : I remember when I was a kid.....

emmatink
05-28-2007, 03:50 PM
I remember a ride in Tomorrow Land that was across from today's Stitch Great Escape and Next to today's Buzz lightyear. It was a theatre that had a 360 degree screen that took you flying (by the way this was next to the old Eastern ride, from what I remember). Am I dreaming of this or does anyone else remember??:confused: What are they doing with this space now? Is it all used for Buzz lightyear or are the imagineers cooking something up!??:secret:

Guya103
05-28-2007, 03:52 PM
I remember the Timekeeper which was a theater there, I think and a ride that went by a name close to "Take Flight". In that one, you rode and it took you through the history of flying and beyond. We really used to enjoy it!:mickey:

emmatink
05-28-2007, 04:04 PM
the time keeper....that's right!!! You have a good memory!:thumbsup:

Guya103
05-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Glad I could help!:mickey:

Goes4FastPass
05-28-2007, 05:10 PM
...originally called "Circlevision 360" or something like that? I thought the "Timekeeper" version with the updated movie and the terrific Robin Williams voiced AA figure was a later incarnation.

Speedy1998
05-28-2007, 05:41 PM
...originally called "Circlevision 360" or something like that? I thought the "Timekeeper" version with the updated movie and the terrific Robin Williams voiced AA figure was a later incarnation.

That is right. I remeber something else there before Timekeeper, but I do not remeber what it was. That was back in the day when "Mission to Mars" was where Stich is now.

CandleontheWater
05-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Wasn't it also something like "magic carpet around the world". I'm really wracking my brain to dredge up some early 80's memories now! :mickey:

GrmGrninGost
05-28-2007, 08:26 PM
I remember that from my first visit in 1975. I think it was called Circle Vision 360. It was a standup theater with screens all the way around, and it showed different types of transportation ( plane, boat etc.). I can remember feeling seasick from the boat.

emmatink
05-28-2007, 08:38 PM
yeah the 360 thing was neat because I remember my parents always putting me next to the railing and saying hold the railing and if I get sick feeling then sit down. I usually didn't last long and was really bored, the things we took for granted as kids huh?

mainemajor
05-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Circle vision 360 was sponsored by monsanto and next to that was Take flight sponsored by Eastern Airlines. In take flight you sat in dune buggy cars simmilat to HM. One cool thing was near the end the film all around you made it seem as though you were going really fast, but if you looked down you knew you were still moving very slow. Both of these were right accross from Missionto Mars - AE - Stitch.
Back in the day!

katzctkpt
05-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Way, way back in the '70's wasn't it called the magic carpet??? I seem to remember the screen was 360 and you could either stand holding the rail or sit on the floor.....that was sooooooo long ago.......I do remember, however from that same time frame the 20,000 leagues under the sea......I sure wish that was still there, so my kids wouldn't think I was crazy that DW had a submarine ride........I am getting very, very old.........

elmjimmlm
05-28-2007, 11:25 PM
I remember the magic carpet and having to sit down because it made me dizzy...20,000 leagues under the sea was great...when I was young it was a little scary to me...I remember looking up and being able to see the top of the water would help...I wish my kids could ride it now...I know that I have talked about it so much...the way that things are now, it wouldnt impress them much...things were alot more simple then...

Stu29573
05-29-2007, 11:51 AM
I seem to remember at Circlevision 360 that they had flags from all the different states hanging over the theater and they would ask people to identify flags that they highlighted. The last one was a jumbled up looking one and the correct answer was the "State of Confusion." I think it was pre-show stuff. Of course, I could be thinking of another attraction, but I'm pretty sure that was it.....
Also, the loss of 20,000 was a heartbreaker for me. Those subs were SO cool, and as a kid it really did feel like you were diving under the ocean. Now all they have there is a stupid playground and a meet and greet. Yuk!

biodtl
05-29-2007, 11:55 AM
One cool thing was near the end the film all around you made it seem as though you were going really fast, but if you looked down you knew you were still moving very slow.

This was my favorite thing as a kid (good thing it was a no-ticket ride), and the first trip I took after it was gone was such a disappointment.

SheridanLedding
05-29-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm amazed at your ability to jog my memory. I remember 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and the last time I rode it, I had to be less than 5 years old. I hadn't been able to place those memories of "some submarine ride" for a long time, thanks!

emmatink
05-29-2007, 02:48 PM
You also have to remember Mr Toad's Wildride as one of the rides that they shoudn't have taken away!:(

BrerSchultzy
05-29-2007, 02:48 PM
That pavilion started off as "America the Beautiful". Somewhere in the mid-70s, it became Magic Carpet 'Round the World. Then, somewhere in the Mid-80s, it became American Journeys, which was INCREDIBLY cheesy, and ended with a raucous version of God Bless America...which, according to my memory, almost everybody laughed at on the way out (beautiful song, just wrong place and time for it). Then, when they redid Tomorrowland in 1994, they made it Timekeeper. Now, it's the Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor.

BrerSchultzy
05-29-2007, 02:50 PM
And while we're talking about Take Flight (originally "If You Had Wings" and "Delta Dreamflight)...allow me to ruin the Disney Die-Hards days by sticking this into their heads:

"If you had wings, had wings, had wings, had wings, had wings...."

:thedolls:

drummerboy
05-29-2007, 02:57 PM
When I first went in '76 on my honeymoon, the place that was later Timekeeper was Monsanto's Circlevision 360. The Eastern Airlines ride-through (or was it Delta then?) that now houses Buzz was "IF You Had Wings". The place that is now Stitch was Mission to Mars. Space Mountain was Space Mountain, lol, but TTA was "WedWay People Mover".

Big Thunder and Splash weren't there; Mr. Toad was. Epcot, MGM and AK weren't there either.

biodtl
05-29-2007, 03:02 PM
And while we're talking about Take Flight (originally "If You Had Wings" and "Delta Dreamflight)...allow me to ruin the Disney Die-Hards days by sticking this into their heads:

"If you had wings, had wings, had wings, had wings, had wings...."

Oh great - now I have that stuck in my head. I've had the broadway Beauty and the Beast music running in my head 24 hrs a day since we saw it last weekend, and now it's alternating with "if you had wings" I'm going insane!