Beach Club Babe
05-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Cast Members:

Me (Heather)
DH (Ron)
DD#2 (Ashleigh) 14
DD #3 (Emily) 4

Recap of Pre-Trip Report:

We are taking 2 trips this year. Only 2 of our 4 kids went on this trip. The other 2 kids will go on our summer trip and Ron will stay home.

Resort:

Pop Century
50's section
Building 2
Room 2159
Due to lingering neck problems I requested a first floor room close to the bus stop. First floor was granted, but we were about the furthest away from busses. On the bright side, we had a perfect view of both Illuminations and Wishes!

Trip Dates:

May 20th through May 26th

Let us back up to Tuesday, May 15th to begin this preface. I had some last minute things to do in order to finish preparing for this trip. I also had a chiropractor appointment at 11:30 AM. About 10:00 AM, I received a call from Ashleigh's school, that she was not feeling well and had a protein spill. She would need to be picked up. An unexpected detour, but I thought at least if she had to get sick, she'll be over it before we go. Better to be sick now than in Disney. I took her home and finished my errands of the day. Ashleigh was fine for the rest of the day, good news I thought. I sent her to school on Wednesday, but once again I had to pick her up after lunch. I took her home and she slept most of the day and later began to run a fever. I kept her home from school the next day and figured I'd call the Doctor, if she did not improve. But she did improve and her fever was gone and she was eating again. I didn't call the Dr. Once again she seemed fine it was now Friday and I sent her to school, she still needed to get all the work she would be missing while we were away. Also tonight and Saturday was the school play that she had been rehearsing for months. If she didn't go to school she would not be in it. Apparently, she became sick again in school, but did not tell anyone and toughed it out. Still she was just not well enough to participate in the play. I did not anticipate that this sickness would last so long, she hardly ever gets sick! The next morning, she was to participate in a soccer scrimmage, she wanted to go as to not let her team down, again she appeared fine and we went. She was fine and played well, but later decided not to go to the play, as she had already missed the performance for the elementary students and opening night. We reurned home to find that our power strip for our computer had shorted out! It could not be used and I did not have time to go and get another before we left. I called a friend and asked if I could pop over to her house to print the boarding passes, thank goodness she was home, and let me come right over! We decided to go out to dinner, so I didn't have to worry about cooking and we could spend a little time with Matt and Courtney before we left them for nearly a week. At dinner, Ashleigh at first she seemed to have an appetite, but after only eating a tiny bit, said she was too full and that it didn't taste good. Courtney was trying to reassure me that she felt that way after being sick like that and that she'd be fine, but I was getting anxious! We went to sleep that night, knowing that we would be flying out the next afternoon. We needed to be up by 6:30 AM, but at 3:00 AM Ashleigh was up and sick again! She went back to sleep, but I was nervous wreck! I did not go back to sleep. Eventually, we were all up and the car loaded with our goodbyes said. I was in a near state of panic with worry that we would be going straight to ER once in Florida. The 2 hour ride to the airport seemed to be going OK, until, Ashleigh gets a nosebleed! I have no napkins or tissues readily available. The only thing I have is a small plastic bag that would have to do until we reached the rest area, where I darted in and grabbed as many paper towels as I could and ran back. Luckily it wasn't bad and stopped right away, but I was so beside myself with worry, that I was sure to lose it, but I didn't!

Once near center city Philly, we hit a bit of delay as there was an accident, luckily I kind of expected something like that and built in some extra time. This was the first time we would be using an offsite parking lot near the airport. Generally, we do a park and fly package at the Sheraton, but since our flight was much later than usual, we decided to just drive down that day. I really had no clue as to which service to use, but chose Winner and it was fine. I had made a reservation online, so it was easy to check-in and then they drove us to the terminal in our own vehicle. We then checked our luggage curbside at Terminal E, and since I had printed our boarding passes at home went right on to security. We breezed through that relatively easy and made our way to our gate which was quite a hike over to Terminal D. Everyone was feeling a bit hungry including Ashleigh. She wanted pizza, which made me nervous, but she insisted she could handle it. She did eat most of it. Ron also had pizza and Emily and I shared some chicken tenders at Burger King. My stomach was upset, but only because of nerves. The flight landing at our gate arrived pretty much on schedule, but due to some trouble with getting an elderly disabled person off, it took a long time for everyone else to disembark, it made for a bit of a delay for us. Since Emily is 4, we can still pre-board. 2 wheelchairs were loaded and then it was our turn. We chose the the 3rd row. I sat with Emily and Ashleigh, while Ron sat across the aisle from us. We wound up taking off about a half an hour late, but were still able to land on time. I had already thoroughly annoyed Ashleigh, by my constant asking if she was alright?! The flight had been uneventful. We caught the shuttle over to the main building and found our way over to the new location of Magical Express. It was quite a hike. There was no wait to check in, and we were the 1st in line for Pop Century. In a few minutes we were loaded on to a bus, where we waited approximately 10-15 minutes for some more passengers. All in all, from the time we landed until we arrived at Pop Century it was about 1 hour and 10 minutes, not bad at all.

I will pick up with the rest of day one very soon!

starrmomof2
05-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Bless your heart! What a rough start. I hope Ashleigh was feeling better and the rest of your trip was better. Can't wait to hear more.

offwego
05-28-2007, 11:37 AM
I hope the rought start means a smooth trip Heather.

Thank you for sharing with us.

faline
05-28-2007, 04:59 PM
That really was a rough start to your trip! I hope the rest goes well and Ashleigh isn't feeling under the weather while at Disney! I'm also sorry to hear she missed the play she'd been practicing so hard for!

DisneyorBust
05-28-2007, 08:29 PM
What a nerve wracking way to start your trip!
Here's hoping that your daughter is better and you too! It's not easy being a parent, especially when one of the children is sick.:ill:

pogo
05-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Rough starts usually mean great trips.:thumbsup:

I hope things improve for you. :D

princessgirls
05-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Oh Heather, I feel for you. I can only hope that things improved from here.

Thanks for sharing.

Julie:mickey:

sleepingbooty
05-29-2007, 11:03 AM
A few glitches but you're off! I hope Ashleigh feels better!

Mickey'sGirl
05-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Poor Ashleigh! My DS3 had that flu and was down for 10 days -- What a trooper she is! I'm glad the flight and ME journey were uneventful! :mickey:

ElenitaB
06-03-2007, 03:51 AM
What a preface! I would have been a wreck, Heather! Glad that Ashleigh picked up though! Looking forward to reading more... on to your next report!

merlinmagic4
06-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Wow! I'm so glad you arrived there okay! Can't wait to read more; I hope it went well and your daughter continued to be okay.

T-Belle
06-03-2007, 09:16 AM
You must have been a nervous wreck! I'm so glad everything turned out ok. Poor Ashleigh!