PDA

View Full Version : pregnant and rides??

Braxtonsmom03
05-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Hi!
I was wondering has anyone ever been pregnant when at disney? if so, is there anything a pregnant woman can ride? that might be a silly question(?) its just that it has been a VERY long time since I was at disney(the early 90's) and the only thing I know that i would think is ok from remmebring way back then is a small world. Though its been so long that I'm not really aware of the rides. Also what are most of the height restrictions? my son will be 4 when we go and I'm just wondering if theres alot for him to ride?

TIA, Tiffany

pcoleman
05-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi Tiffany, yes you can ride on several things while being pg. I was 6 months along when I went a few years ago. TOT, SW, RoR, SM and KIL SAV are all no go's but have fun on almost everything else. My Dr. said it was up to me on the spinny stuff. Just remember to drink plenty of water, take good snacks and pace yourself. A person can get tired just being at Disney let alone being pg. Have a wonderful time.

mulderxcoltrane
05-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Good info - I was going to ask a similar question.

Strmchsr
05-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Click here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/rideheight.asp) for a list of all ride height requirements.

There are lots of things you can ride while pregnant. You'll be able to have a blast. Just check the sign as you approach. Just remember, though, if the sign says no pregnant women, it's there for a safety reason so don't take any chances!

Since you'll be limited on rides, however, you might consider something special for yourself like a pregnancy massage at one of the spas.

Wrigley
05-27-2007, 03:21 PM
I was 5 months pregnant when we went to Disney last July, and I was able to ride a ton of rides. I stayed away from the obvious "thrill" rides, but rode just about everything else. Some rides do have posted that pregnant women should not ride them. I did get quite tired, so we made sure to take a break during the day to either nap or swim back at the hotel. I also made sure that I drank plenty of water.

You will have a great time!!!:thumbsup:

psychotekkie
05-27-2007, 06:15 PM
I was also 6 mos pregnant and went in July several years ago. I was amazed and delighted how many rides I could get on, not to mention the abundance of shows. IMO Disney entertainment is not about thrill rides. Rather it is a total immersion into a magical theme. Most rides and attractions are built so that very young children can go on them (and if tiny tots can do it, so can a pregnant lady).
And in other themeparks, kid rides are as boring as the coin-op rides at the shopping mall. But at Disney, every ride is exciting because they encorporate amazing visual effects and scenery, smells, water, you name it. Your trip will not be in the least bit diminished by your being pregnant.

My #1 tip is to bring a couple different pairs of very comfortable shoes, and sit down whenever you can. You will be carrying more weight than your feet are accustomed to.

MinnieMommie
05-27-2007, 07:07 PM
I was there a while ago when I was 6 mths pregnant with my last child. To add to the list, I could also not go on BTMR, Body Wars and Star Tours. I had a wonderful trip even though I had to forsake some of my favorite rides. There is so much to do and I did pretty much everything else. I actually enjoyed being able to see my family's faces when they came off their rides. :mickey:

kakn7294
05-27-2007, 07:29 PM
You can safely ride probably about 75% of the rides at WDW while pregnant. The rides that are unsuitable will have a pregnancy warning. I think you best gauge should be the height requirements. Any attraction with a height requirement should be avoided in pregnancy as well but pretty much everything else would be safe except Kilimanjaro Safari - it can be a rather bumpy ride in some spots and I would probably avoid that as well. For everything else, it's more of a matter of whether you can handle the attractions without becoming sick - especially those that spin in circles. BTW, I found it difficult to ride the Merry-go-round at our local amusement park while pregnant. That baby belly got in the way of sitting comfortably with the pole in front of me! You can still have a great time and when you can't ride, you can either shop or people watch - both are great attractions in themselves!

vamaggie
05-27-2007, 07:59 PM
If your son is 4 ,you probably won't be riding the big thrill rides anyway(unless he is really tall and fearless!). Watch the signs and trust your body(gut) as to whether you want to ride or not. If you are in the early months, sickness may also be a factor. Drink tons of water, snack on good snacks (when possible to resist Disney snack temptation!) and rest a lot. If you are not sure about a ride, I'm sure guest services or a CM could help you figure it out. Remember--you can always come back and ride the rides after your new little one is born.

disney100%
05-28-2007, 09:04 AM
On our last trip, I was four months pregnant. I followed the signs posted at each ride and avoided any that said I should. But like many other people have said, drink lots of water and take advantage of afternoon breaks. My son was 14 months at the time, and I was quite tired by the end of the day from chasing him around and just enjoying Disney! We go to WDW every other year, so I knew any rides I missed that time around I would catch on the next trip. Have fun!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Disney is very good about posting signs for what you should and shouldn't ride on, not only for pregnant women, but people with bad hearts, high blood pressure etc. If in doubt just ask the cast member working the ride.
There's also a section here that gives height restrictions.
As for the rides that you can't go in, there's always an air conditioned gift shop you can wait and shop in.

Sammyjo
05-28-2007, 01:29 PM
I was 6 1/2 months pregnant when we a couple of years ago. I went by the height limit signs. If it had a requirement I didn't ride it. There is still a lot of rides you can do. I had a lot of swelling in my legs and feet while I was pregnant so we rented a wheel chair. It ended up being really great to always have a place to sit and relax when needed. We go in a pretty big group, so if I wasn't using the chair somebody else would if they needed a rest.

SoaringEpcot
05-29-2007, 09:06 AM
My DW is going to be around 35 weeks when we go in December. I thought her doctor would say that she could not go since Disney is over 500 miles from our house. She said as long as we were not flying and made frequent stops she will be fine. The rest was the same that everyone else here is saying. I though we might have to cancel our trip, but as of now it is still a go.