PDA

View Full Version : Part or Full-time jobs???

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
05-27-2007, 02:54 AM
Just got back from WDW last night - awesome vacation, can't wait to go back (hopefully next year)...but I was requesting to know about part or preferably full-time jobs in WDW. I went to Disney Careers website but there are so many types of jobs open in the park, though I dont think Im qualified for most of them.

My question is: How do you become one of the cast members that are either the bellhops in the ToT, or one of the greeters/cast members at the HM, or best yet - one of the characters themselves? How do you apply? Who do you talk to? Who can you call? What is the job-title itself called?

Any help would be appreciated. Oh yeah, and I'll post my trip report soon!

Chris :hatter:

BigRedDad
05-27-2007, 04:03 AM
Many, if not most, CM jobs have size requirements. There are no jobs in WDW that you are not considered a character. Being that you are considered a character in any position, they are able to bypass many of the discrimination laws. I found this out when a co-worker showed me her dismissed lawsuit when rejected from working at a Disney Store (when it was still WDW's). She was told she was too overweight. She tried to sue and the judge dismissed the case shortly after filing.

I think many of the positions you have to work up to.

me...
05-27-2007, 04:48 AM
If you want to apply to be a CM you can call 407-828-1000 and set up a job interview. I'm not sure about ToT but I know mansion is a hard place to get into. Most people start at Jungle then working their way to Pirates and after that HM. As for characters you can call the same number and ask about character auditions and such. It's a fun place to work. The pay isn't stupendious but the benefits and being able to play everyday are awesome. Granted there are good days and bad days like any job but it's how you deal with them that counts.

Hope that helps! -Christie

jkj1224
05-27-2007, 08:05 PM
If you call the casting center you get an automated line that tells you all the positions that are available at the time then you select the number of the position you're interested in, if you're in town they can set up an interview for you, if you're not local they'll interview you over the phone. The more popular the ride the harder it is to get but once you're working in the parks you can transfer around. Those jobs fall under operations...for character positions you need info about entertainment. :mickey:

psychotekkie
05-27-2007, 09:13 PM
This is all very interesting....

Yesterday my daughter also mentioned she wanted to get a job at Disney. But we live in Canada, so I guess she would first need to apply for a work VISA or something? And then, maybe she would have best luck trying to get a job in the Canada pavilion at Epcot.:cap:

Now I know she is a long way off from being old enough, but are there also minimum age requirements for working at Disney?

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
05-28-2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone!

I assume by what I was told I would have to do the interview over the phone...I too live in Canada (Winnipeg)...and was on-the-fence about deciding whether or not to go to an interview that wouldn't go anywhere, and having to pay the airfare for it.

I think I might try it out and see what happens...you never know where you might be right...its a small world, after all! :cloud9:

Chris :hatter:

TikiGoddess
05-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Beware -- you might need to have a local address in the Orlando area before they will interview you. My DH wanted to interview for a job when he was fresh out of college (and living in CT). He had to move down to Orlando and THEN hope and pray that he got a job with Disney. Thankfully he did and had a great 3 yrs!

Just thought you'd like to know...
TikiG

celebrationasheley
05-28-2007, 07:08 PM
The characters have to try out. The people in Tot and Hm are regular cast members. I don't know the procedure of their hiring.
When I called for a job. I made an appointment for two weeks later. I was coming from Illinois. When I was "interviewed" I was told she could have done it over the phone because they liked my resume so much. I was hired as a baker and "tried out." Just because I had the job and showed up to training didn't mean my job was secure.

I doubt there is a weight limit to work in the parks. When you pick up your costume, being a chef, or front of house, or merchandise, the sizes go up pretty high. They even have maternity.