PDA

View Full Version : What order would you go in?

Jessie
05-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Our DD will be a 3 when she goes for the first time. I don't want to overwhelm her with anything too scary. I know that it differs for each kid and their personality, but in general, which ride would you start out with and then how would you work your way "up"?

You really start to look at WDW differently when you've got a child. I never used to think about these things so I'm hoping to get some wisdom from more experienced (BTDT) parents. Thanks!

maizey05
05-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Years ago, when my parent's first took myself and my brother (I think we were 3 and 6) they wondered the same thing. We went to Fantasyland first. You may wish to do an "outdoor" ride like Dumbo first, or the carousel. Then maybe Philharmagic. It's not a ride, but it's dark, so that might get the little one used to being in the dark, for the dark rides. As a child, I remember being pretty afraid of Snow White's Scary Adventures. Peter Pan is also a good ride, as it's not scary...and it looks like you're flying. Oh, maybe It's a Small World woud be a good choice also. However, if you start out with that one, you just might have it stuck in your head ALL DAY LONG!

illini
05-26-2007, 08:18 PM
I'd start with the rides in Fantasyland (except maybe Snow White-- scares some kiddos). Buzz Lightyear should be OK, too. If she does OK on those, I'd move on to Jungle Cruise and Pirates, and then Haunted Mansion. Splash is very tame except the drop and is also a good choice.

Our son was 3.5 on his first trip. He did great on everything. It just took lots of talking for the "scarier" rides to make sure he knew that the ghosts in HM weren't real, etc. The only one that upset him was ToT and that's because I let DH ride with the "big kids" first and he didn't give them the spiel. The spiel is of utmost importance!!!

I'd start in Fantasyland and let your DD set the pace from there.

pcoleman
05-26-2007, 08:48 PM
My DD was 2 months shy of 3 when we went and she was afraid of many of the characters. She also loved toon town. Spending time in Minnies house and the play areas were great. Just take things at their speed.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Our DD was 3 our last trip and she loved all the rides she was able to go on without height being an issue.
She was not scared of any but the trolls in Maelstrom. (The boat ride in Norway, Epcot). She just closes her eyes at that point.

Great advice to start at Fantasyland and go from there. That always works great for us.

septembergirl
05-26-2007, 10:26 PM
The Carousel. If she is a fan of Winnie the Pooh, then that would be a perfect place to start, then Peter Pan, Philharmagic and Small World.

I am a little nervous about HM for my DD3. We will be playing down the "scary parts".

I don't think POTC will be a problem.

I also anticipate Indiana Jones to bother her a little because it is so loud.

Mickey91
05-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Fantasyland! Small World, Carousel Peter Pan, Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh..... She'll love it!!

ryca1dreams
05-26-2007, 11:09 PM
I usually don't try to recommend rides for other people's kids because every kid is different. My now 9 year old used to love Rock n' Roller coaster. Now he won't ride it. :confused:

However, I would only warn you that Haunted Mansion has pop-up ghosts that may frighten young kids and the general "ghost house" feel of it may be too much. Just a thought.

But Mickey91's recommendations are right on.

Cinderelley
05-26-2007, 11:10 PM
I would also recommend starting in Fantasyland as previously mentioned. Then I would go to Toontown. There's a small rollercoaster there that you could use for a test run.