PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling?

TennesseeTink
05-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Has anyone ever homeschooled their child? I have a DD15 who is not doing her best in school. Some of it is her own laziness but I feel that some of it is the school as well. A little background...

We just moved into this school district a year and a half ago, ironically for the schools. We previously lived in a city and the girls went to metro schools. There was gang activity and general bad behavior that I didn't want my kids involved in so we moved a little farther north to the "country". The school district here had gotten great scores compared with others in the state, and the percentage of students who continued their education after high school was much higher. DD has always scored very high on the annual proficiency tests and has always been placed in honors classes. In the city schools, once she hit middle school, her grades have been average, mostly B's with an occasional C. However this school year, her grades have been mostly C's with an occasional D and even one F! We even put her in regular classes instead of honors but it's like she's not really trying. She has made many friends, great kids, no troublemakers that I can tell so I don't think it's an "adjustment" issue.

I have noticed that she never has homework and became suspicious so I contacted her teachers. To my surprise I was told that they don't really give homework. In the high school, they only take 4 classes a semester so each class is 1-1/2 hours long. The teachers say they have more than enough time to complete all assignments during class. But still shouldn't they be studying at home? One teacher said he didn't even give tests because they weren't fair! He said some kids didn't test as well as others. Well, duh!! They just seem to expect the bare minimum from the kids. And unfortunately DD would prefer to do just the bare minimum as well. Not to mention some of the things they ARE teaching them do not sit well with me. Lots of sex talk and politically correct social issues. Not enough math, language, science, etc. Some days after school, when I asked her what she had done in each of her classes, she would say that they watched a movie in this class, had free day in that class. It's so frustrating! :mad: When I was in highschool, I had homework almost every night and would never dared to show up in class unprepared.

Anyway I'm leaning towards homeschooling the next three years. I've been searching online for good curriculums and distance learning programs. Any advice would be much appreciated. There is a christian school in our town but it only has 50 students and considering that she just recently switched schools and had to make all new friends, I kinda hate to do that to her again. This way she can still keep all of her friends and see them often, just do real school work at home under my supervision and still get a diploma. I want so badly for her to develop good study habits and go to college. Am I completely overreacting?

BronxTigger
05-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Just some things to think about and consider:

Are you qualified to teach high school level material? Do you want to spend ALL the time with her? Often, teens and parents need some time apart. You can still teach her study skills at home without doing a total homeschooling curriculum.

If you don't want to switch her to the Christian School because she would have a tough time due to social issues/friendships, why would you pull her out of school altogether?

Have you considered putting her into the Honors track of classes? Maybe the classes are too easy and she is slacking off. She may just need to be more challenged.

Have you taken her on college tours yet, or looked at entrance requirements? Maybe when she sees what will be necessary to meet her goals, she will see she needs to work harder.

iluvdizney2
05-25-2007, 07:58 PM
I homeschool all 5 of my kids and actually one has graduated and has been accepted into college. Passed state level exam and everything. I have done this for 11 yrs now.
I will say you do not have to be "qualified" by any means to teach a high school level course, you just have to be prepared!! and if you find on actually difficult there are many DVD courses and also community colleges that you can take HS level english math and sciences.
I am currently doing 2 HS level kids. We actually let them do it on their own with direction and guidance from us. It really seems scary but in fact it takes approx 3 hours per day to do HS level homeshooling. It is longer in school as you change classes and also spend time with directions and noisy kids. You wont be spending 24/7 with your child because in HS they go tot he library or go on the internet to research out things, they can still do school sports and take extra curricula activites in the school. They have friends they hang out with after school hours...so in fact you will get to know your child more, but you wont be overwhelmed by them....after ll we had our kids because we WANTED kids, not to let the schools raise them.....
it is a very personal choice and one that everyone has a perfect answer for. It works for us for many reasons...one I dont like our school district once they hit middle school, and also medical reasons that we need to be on top of. But I also enjoy havig my kids around and we all have more fun. We go on small trips and explore things, we discuss things and I know their feelings on subjects. We interact but I dont control. I really think you should think about it....and also if you choose to keep her home and find it isnt working, she can go back! its ok to do that too....as for friends, she will always have her friends...my daughter is a social butterfly and always is seeing them. that doesnt change.....
Homeschooling is for some, but not all people.
Good luck with no matter what you choose....

TennesseeTink
05-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks, Donna, for your support. Actually I did homeschool her for third grade and loved it! Unfortunately I allowed other people's negative comments to make me feel like I was cheating DD out of social interaction. Of course I'm older and wiser now;); I know that would not be an issue. Also I forgot to mention that I am self-employed(I work 12-15 hours/week) and home everyday by 1:00 at the latest so time would not be an issue either. Although I do feel that structure and routine are very important, there is no rule that says that school has to start at 9am sharp. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. You know, with public schools I often feel like it's parent vs. teacher. I rarely get the feeling that we're working together for the good of the child. Public schools are not what they used to be 50 years ago... or even 20 years ago for that matter.

As far as my being qualified, she would not be relying on my bank of knowledge for her lessons(thank goodness). There are a lot of good curriculums available, as well as online "virtual" classes with a live teacher and other students. I'm still researching and debating all the possibilities.

BronxTigger
05-26-2007, 05:11 AM
It sounds like you've really thought this out. Go for it!

Strmchsr
05-26-2007, 09:03 AM
We homeschool and have loved it. My sons get plenty of social interaction at church, sports they are involved in, and just generally being out and about, so I'm glad you don't let that stop you know. I would say the biggest issue is are you able/willing to provide the motivation necessary to keep DD on track? You're right in that a lot of what she's experiencing may be boredom or frustration with the classroom, but homeschooling takes a whole lot of self-motivation on the part of both parent and child. If she's generally self-motivated when presented with the right challenges and learning environment, then it might be perfect for you, but if she really needs a whip cracker then you need to decide if you're willing to crack the whip or if she needs a different type of school environment.

LibertyTreeGal
05-26-2007, 09:10 AM
What it comes down to is this -- does she need to be taken out of that school? If she does then go for it! Sounds like it may be case. You know your child and your situation best, and frankly, it sounds like your daughter might do well learning on her own at home with minimal guidance -- I was like that too so I understand how the school environment doesn't really do well for kids like that.

My boys are in public school, I had wanted to homeschool but found it was destroying our relationship LOL, so they went to Kindergarten this year and have really blossomed. We are about to move again and if needs be, I will not hesitate to consider homeschooling them if I need to.

So Mom, do what you have to do and stop paying attention to other moms discouragement! If all the other moms jumped off the bridge would you do it too? :rotfl: ;)

TennesseeTink
05-26-2007, 01:52 PM
***UPDATE***

I talked to my sister about all of this and she told me that Sylvan Learning Center has a program to teach kids good study habits and organization!! Well, we'll be doing this whether I homeschool or not. :thumbsup: Having good study habits will follow her through high school and into college and can even be beneficial in her career. I think that's just wonderful.

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement. As a mom, I worry about all the decisions regarding my kids, even the little everyday decisions. I want so badly for them to grow up to be good citizens, self-reliant,and responsible adults. It's helpful to know that there are other people out there that understand and are dealing with the same issues that DH and I do. :rocks: