PDA

View Full Version : Disney Cruise in a wheelchair

allie_to_you
05-25-2007, 02:31 PM
My DH & I have thought a lot about taking a Disney cruise, but since he is confined to a wheelchair, we weren't sure how much we'd have to do, especially off the ship at the ports of call, since he can't do the water stuff.

Has anyone ever been on a Disney cruise in a wheelchair? What are the rooms like and the general accessibility.

Also, just some general questions about the cruise...

Once you make your final payment, what all does this cover? What things are extra OOP costs?

Any extra information or advice would be great!

ElenitaB
05-25-2007, 08:14 PM
While I didn't need a wheelchair on the Cruise this time around (the past few years I've used an ECV at WDW), I did see another passenger with an ECV. I do understand that there is a world of difference between the modes of transportation, however.

I'd recommend that you pick up both the Passporter Guide to Disney Cruise Line for general info and their PassPorter's Walt Disney World For Your Special Needs which includes information on DCL as well (an updated edition of the latter is coming out in September). (If you use this link to Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/intercotcom), you'll even help out Intercot while shopping.)

There are several handicap-accesible barrier-free staterooms on board in categories 3, 5, 6, 8 and 11. These rooms have: open bed frames, ramped bathroom entrances, roll-in shower with fold-down shower seats (they look a lot like the showers in the special-access rooms at WDW), rails, emergency call buttons, and lowered bars. There are also beach wheelchairs available on Castaway Cay on a first-come, first-served basis.

As regards payment, all costs are covered except for excursions, certain drinks (alcoholic beverages, bottled water and specialty coffees), gratuities and dining in Palo (which has an additional up-charge of $10 for dinner or brunch, and $5 for high tea). If I missed anything, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me!

We went on the 3 night cruise just to be sure we'd like cruising. We're now officially hooked! To tell the truth, I'd be perfectly happy not getting off the ship in Nassau and enjoying all it has to offer.

Hope that helps a bit!