PDA

View Full Version : too soaked for dinner

septembergirl
05-25-2007, 01:59 PM
We will be visiting AK for the first time this year. I have read many times about how wet people get on the Kali. I wonder if we ride this attraction late in the afternoon, will we be too soaked for dinner at Boma later? I wonder if we should skip it and go back when we will be returning to our resort right away?

Stu29573
05-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Well, it's actually hard to say how soaked you'll get. I've ridden and hardly been sprayed, and I've ridden and literally looked like I fell in. I guess if I were you I'd plan for the soaking....:mickey:

Belle619
05-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Well, some may call me a wimp :hide:but when we go onto rides like Kali or SM we bring the $1 rain ponchos that you can buy at Target. They are great because they are cheap enough to toss right out when you get off of the ride, but strong enough to keep you pretty dry. This was perfect for our trip in March when we didn't want to walk around in 60 degree temps soaking wet.

Clotho
05-25-2007, 02:16 PM
It also depends on what time of year you are going, and what your weather is like. if it is a scorcher, you will dry off in no time. I have only been once, but it was a 90+ degree day, and we dried right off.

That said, if I had a nice dinner planned that evening, I would likely skip the rapids just in case.

Marker
05-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Too wet to eat?????? NEVER

My thoughts.... if you get wet, you'll dry. I wouldn't worry about it for a moment.

But that's just me.

TheRustyScupper
05-25-2007, 02:30 PM
1) I can think of two things that is it never to wet to do.
2) One of them is defintely eating.

CM~Mserrano
05-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Boma is a pretty nice restaurant, and although Disney doesn't have any type of dress code for it, I would personally not want to be soaked from Kali and have a meal there. I would, however, ride with a poncho like mentioned above. Even on hot days, I don't really like to walk around drenched, and the cheap $1 ponchos work perfectly for that ride. Other people look at you like you're crazy, but when getting off the ride and you're getting ready to throw your poncho away, some people ask if they can have it!

AwPhooey
05-25-2007, 02:39 PM
You can get extremely soaked on Kali, so if you have dinner plans and you want to ride the rapids, you might want to bring a change of clothes or allow time to get back to your hotel.

Case in point....
The first time we rode Kali, my mom got so soaked that as soon as she got off the ride, she said "I'm going back to the hotel" and walked through the park to the bus stop and hopped on a bus back to the hotel.

The bus had just gotten to AK and was going to wait for other passengers before leaving, but he took one look at my mom when she got on, shut the door and pulled out without saying a word. Looking back, it's kind of funny, but at the time, my mom was anything but happy.

Seasonscraps
05-25-2007, 02:57 PM
You may or may not get soaked -- DH lucked out while I got drenched last time. I would just go on the ride earlier which would allow for dying off time.

PirateLover
05-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Unless it is extremely hot and sunny, if you get soaked you won't dry off THAT fast. And one problem I have is that when my shorts get wet sometimes I start to chafe. Very uncomfortable. If you must do the ride, definitely wear ponchos just in case. But I would probably just skip it, since I personally find nothing to write home about with that ride.

SurferStitch
05-25-2007, 04:24 PM
We've done Kali only twice. Once, I got pretty wet, the other time I got completely soaked. Looked (and felt) like I went swimming in my clothes.

I had a white top on (luckily a nude colored bra underneath) and denim shorts. I literally had water dripping/running down my legs for a good hour afterward. It was about 90 degrees and sunny, and I DID NOT dry off.

We stuck around AK for a couple more hours, and my shorts were still completely soaked. A total of about 3 hours passed until we got back to the Grand Flo, and I was STILL soaked. I even bought a hat at AK to cover my completely drenched head, and that hat got soaked from my hair.

I never went back on Kali again. I absolutely HATE being soaked like that.

TennesseeTink
05-25-2007, 04:37 PM
I've been soaked on Kali before and, like most other folks, did not enjoy walking around like that. Plus I have naturally curly hair and when it gets wet and dries by itself it's not pretty. The next time, we all wore our ponchos, had a blast on the ride, and were dry the rest of the day. The other folks in our raft that got soaked commented that they wished they had thought to bring ponchos too.:thumbsup: I'll never ride it again without them.

Kairi_7378
05-25-2007, 05:00 PM
I second the recommendation to bring a change a clothes. There were some people on our raft that got SOAKED and others (thankfully, me) that got lightly sprayed. My stuff did stay dry in the compartment in the center of the raft but you might feel safer renting a locker. If you're going to a nice restaurant you don't want to feel self consious... especially since it's a buffet and you will be walking around a lot more than at a sit down place.

septembergirl
05-25-2007, 05:14 PM
I second the recommendation to bring a change a clothes. There were some people on our raft that got SOAKED and others (thankfully, me) that got lightly sprayed. My stuff did stay dry in the compartment in the center of the raft but you might feel safer renting a locker. If you're going to a nice restaurant you don't want to feel self consious... especially since it's a buffet and you will be walking around a lot more than at a sit down place.

Not only that but, no matter how hot it is outside, if you are wet and go inside, you will be C-O-L-D.

AllDisney
05-25-2007, 05:16 PM
We brought along the $1 ponchos. We got SOAKED. The poncho was a life saver for sure. The only part of us that got wet were our feet. It was warm enough so our sneakers were dry in a couple of hours.

I'd plan on getting soaked and plan on going back to your room before going to dinner at AKL.

P.S. People did ask for our ponchos as we were getting ready to toss them!

Donald Duck 224
05-25-2007, 05:20 PM
It depends on the weather.
If it is hot you will be fine.
If it is chilly it could be a problem.

lindique
05-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Some of the restrooms have strong hand dryers that I have used to try items of clothing and sometimes even hair! I have also used plastic bags that the Sunday newspaper comes in to put over my sneakers in cool weather to keep them dry. Yeah, you look pretty silly, but I've gotten plenty of compliments for my ingenuity.

Squeaky Mouse
05-25-2007, 05:56 PM
I am one of those unlucky folks who always gets so uncomfortably soaked on Kali that I have to go back to our resort and get changed. I don't mind. Instead of getting upset, I just plan on riding Kali at the end of my AK day. I definitely wouldn't plan on riding it right before going for dinner at Boma.

mickey-mouse35
05-25-2007, 05:56 PM
That's brilliant about the newspaper plastic bags to cover your shoes! I'll have to try that. I also recommend the cheap ponchos from the Dollar Store for the rapids and Splash Mountain, especially in the fall when it's a little chilly. We use these all the time! If you're still worried, though, I'd skip the rapids--in my book it's not a must do attraction and enjoying good food is waaaaay more important to me! :mickey:

merlinmagic4
05-25-2007, 08:02 PM
This was our situation last month. We wanted to ride one more time and stood in line for fastpasses. By the time we got our passes, it was a time 20 minutes later than the time we originally saw (long line). So we gave away our fastpasses and headed to AKL early for our dinner at Boma. I wouldn't have been comfortable in there wet. I think the change of clothes is a great idea!

septembergirl
05-25-2007, 09:15 PM
and enjoying good food is waaaaay more important to me! :mickey:

I would hate to have my dinner at Boma ruined!

peemagg
05-25-2007, 10:53 PM
This is our plan for Kali: We first rent a locker and put a set of dry clothes and everything else we don't want to get wet in it.

We then head to the ride but not before we switch our shoes from sneakers to water shoes. I have to mention that we wear our swimsuits under lightweight clothes that dry fast. Our sneakers go into a ziploc bag to keep dry. Then we put on our ponchos and plan to ride. I say plan since 2 times now we have planned to ride it and have been unsucessful due to it malfuntioning.

I definetly would not go to Boma's wet.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-26-2007, 12:29 AM
I have never gone on Kali and NOT gotten soaked!! Even in September when it is very hot and sunny, my clothes never completely dry.

That does not stop me from riding but, unless I had a change of clothes I would not be going to dinner after.

Don't miss the ride, it is great. I would bring a change of clothes and have fun!!

Goes4FastPass
05-26-2007, 12:17 PM
You absolutely don't want to put yourself in a position of dragging into AKL wet from Kali to have dinner at Boma. The temperature from the air conditioning alone will make you miserable.

We like Kali but considering the very real possibility of getting soaked, the ride is VERY short.

Ponchos? Maybe. If you 'get hit' with bifg water you'll still get wet.

I know people who've scheduled themselves to do Kali then FOTLK and thy were miserable sitting in the air conditioning soaking wet.

Not if you plan to go Kali - your resort - AKL you'll need to plan enough time to go to your resort then back to AK or another park so you can catch a bus to AKL.

Jared
05-26-2007, 03:43 PM
I've never ridden Kali River Rapids without leaving absolutely drenched. For that reason, I always skip the attraction now.

If I were eating at Boma soon after riding Kali River Rapids, I would definitely bring a change of clothes.

irish1967
05-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Personally, I couldn't imagine being in the air conditioning and even lightly wet. Being cold would ruin the dinner for me.

I've only been on Kali once, but in the future, it WILL be the absolutely last thing we do before heading back to our home base to change - being wet is just not that comfortable for me.

LudwigVonDrake
05-26-2007, 08:34 PM
You can always wear a poncho :swim:

Mickey91
05-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Too wet to eat?????? NEVER

My thoughts.... if you get wet, you'll dry. I wouldn't worry about it for a moment.

But that's just me.
:thumbsup:

klynch7
05-27-2007, 11:09 AM
One piece of advice I haven't seen yet is do NOT wear denim shorts because they definately will not dry. If you get like exercise shorts, they dry pretty quickly.