PDA

View Full Version : Pixie dust for house closing today...

Dsnygirl
05-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Hi everybody!

If any of you could spare a little pixie dust for our family today, that'd be great - we're supposed to close on the sale of our home today at 11am, and I am just hoping and praying it goes through okay.
We had some issues this week b/c we had the utilities turned off when we moved out, and the family decided at the last minute to do a walk through b/c the husband wanted to be sure all the appliances worked properly. So, we've had to scramble to try to get the utilities turned on before the closing so he can check them - they did the walk through last night w/o power, just to look at the house. The husband wants us to put $$ in escrow to ensure that if the appliances don't work, they can replace them - we would obviously like to avoid that, as we know they are all fine (we just moved out Saturday, and the house is only 5 yrs old). My DH was present for the walk through with the new family last night, and when he got there, b/c of the power being shut off, the freezer had defrosted and we'd forgotten about the ice in the icemaker - it had melted and leaked out of the freezer and under the refrig., through the hardwoods and into the basement. So, that was a nightmare for my DH - he had to scramble to clean it up, and although he is certain it will dry okay, the husband of the family wanted to talk about potentially adding MORE $$ to the escrow, in case by the time they move in, the hardwoods appear damaged from the leak and they have to have them fixed. (My DH said it was a very small area, underneath the refrig - not into the kitchen area at all.) We aren't crazy about this, even though we can understand his concern - we'd want to then put language into the contract to ensure that we saw the damage and had proof the boards needed replacing before turning any $$ over to them. So - although there weren't any issues with the house itself, apparently the husband also got a last minute phone call re: his bank and closing costs, and we are just hoping everything is okay. We haven't heard anything different, but if you all could spare just a little of the magic, I'm sure it would help!!

Thanks!! :thanks:

Mickey'sGirl
05-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Good luck with everything Blythe! It was a long time coming -- but it will soon be done! :pixie: for a smooth transition! :mickey:

faline
05-25-2007, 09:44 AM
How stressful! I hope it all goes well for you! :pixie: :pixie:

DizNee143
05-25-2007, 09:54 AM
i hope it all goes well and there are no major problems!!! let us know how it all goes!!! :mickey:

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Mousefever
05-25-2007, 10:04 AM
:laughing: When I first read the thread topic, I thought it said, "Pixie Dust for house cleaning today..." I was thinking, "Yah, I need some pixie dust for that too!" Hee, hee.

I hope your house closing goes very smoothly today and I hope you can avoid putting $$ into escrow. Good luck! :pixie:

:dory:

disneydrmr
05-25-2007, 10:14 AM
NOt to worry you more.. but I would definitly fight the whole $$ in escrow thing... that is what home warranty is for. I'd be afraid they would claim all the appliances are bad just to get new ones.. and same with the damage.. even if you wanted to see it whose to say they won't do damage themselves just to get stuff replaced... I really hope all goes smoothly for you! :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Dsnygirl
05-25-2007, 10:37 AM
NOt to worry you more.. but I would definitly fight the whole $$ in escrow thing... that is what home warranty is for. I'd be afraid they would claim all the appliances are bad just to get new ones.. and same with the damage.. even if you wanted to see it whose to say they won't do damage themselves just to get stuff replaced... I really hope all goes smoothly for you! :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Thanks, Di - I just talked to my DH, and the escrow $$ will actually be a check that is cut to our realtor (who is actually a woman in my DH's office - he works for a homebuilder - nice perk! ;) ) and once they walk through the house after closing (the power is on - yeah!!) the check gets turned over to us. Phew!

Just a side note - my DH said that they asked this morning for $1000 for curtain rods & blinds... (we'd taken the blinds, 5 of them total, b/c when the wife walked through for window measurements a few weeks ago, she'd said she didn't want them - and we didn't even think about leaving curtain rods, as some were specialty for the curtains they held, and others were cheapo's from Target or Wal-Mart...plus, we'd only had curtains in the bedrms, living rm and dining rm) So, we're offering $200 for curtain rods only - basically what we had spent on what was there. No way am I paying for them to buy nice, fancy stuff for every room on my nickel!! ;) (Or lots of nickels, actually!!)

disneydrmr
05-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks, Di - I just talked to my DH, and the escrow $$ will actually be a check that is cut to our realtor (who is actually a woman in my DH's office - he works for a homebuilder - nice perk! ;) ) and once they walk through the house after closing (the power is on - yeah!!) the check gets turned over to us. Phew!

Just a side note - my DH said that they asked this morning for $1000 for curtain rods & blinds... (we'd taken the blinds, 5 of them total, b/c when the wife walked through for window measurements a few weeks ago, she'd said she didn't want them - and we didn't even think about leaving curtain rods, as some were specialty for the curtains they held, and others were cheapo's from Target or Wal-Mart...plus, we'd only had curtains in the bedrms, living rm and dining rm) So, we're offering $200 for curtain rods only - basically what we had spent on what was there. No way am I paying for them to buy nice, fancy stuff for every room on my nickel!! ;) (Or lots of nickels, actually!!)

YOu know - if it was not in the contract to leave the blinds/rods/etc.. then you do NOT owe them a dime! I remember when we did our closing it was specifically spelled out in the contract what the original home owner was taking and what they were leaving (they even put in there that they would have the right to come back the following year to get starters from the flower beds). Sorry to say - but it sounds like the people buying your home are trouble.. I feel sorry for the neighbors you guys left behind. These people sound like they are gonna get you guys for every penny they can.. so please make sure your contract is air tight!! Again.. good luck.

Dsnygirl
05-25-2007, 04:30 PM
:woohoo::joy: Well, I'm back from meeting my DH after the closing... it's over & done, and we're free!! They gave him the checks to deposit, and I told him if he calls me from Aruba, he's in big trouble!! :D We celebrated over lunch, and are taking the girls out for dinner & ice-cream... I am just SO glad this part of our plan is over. Now to just sit back and enjoy the summer... :vacation:

Thanks for all the pixie dust, etc... I'm sure it helped quite a bit!! :thumbsup:

merlinmagic4
05-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Congratulations, Blythe! I'm glad it worked out.....I was getting mad reading your posts about the buyers :thedolls:..............Have a great weekend :cloud9:

BronxTigger
05-25-2007, 08:48 PM
:congrats:
I was getting mad about the buyers too!
At least you are done with all that, and you can move on with your life!

RedSoxFan
05-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Congrats Blythe. Have a wonderful summer in your new place.:mickey:

Beast_fanatic
05-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Sorry that I'm late, but glad it went OK! :thumbsup:

kakn7294
05-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Finally! I'm glad it's over for you. I know how much trouble you had selling your place. Enjoy your new place and let us know when you find something permanent.

MsMin
05-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Reading your posts brings back closing nightmares. I've been on both sides. The ppl we purchased this house from said they had turned off the appliances but promised they worked but they didn't; but they had to fix them. And very similar, our moving company couldn't undo the valve to the ice maker so the idiots took an axe and cut the line and turned the water off to the house. My (ex now)DH stopped by the house noticed the water was off and turned it back on, did a couple things and left and the water from this tubing ran for hours, flooded the whole house. Fortunately we didn't have any damage just some very upset ppl when they came for the final walk through.
Here's some "happily ever after" :pixie: Glad you made it through.:thumbsup: