PDA

View Full Version : Year of 100 Questions: #41

King Triton
05-25-2007, 08:52 AM
This is the last of the holiday weekend questions. #39 appeared in Dining and #40 in Vacation Planning.

Which do you prefer: Downtown Disney Marketplace or Downtown DIsney West Side?

Question #42 will appear in Theme Parks, most likely on Tuesday.

To everyone in the US: Have a safe and happy holiday weekend...and take at least a moment to remember what the holiday is for.

darthmacho
05-25-2007, 08:58 AM
I think that WS has more things to do, but the original DD has better stores and restaurants, so I voted for the latter. :mickey:

Have a nice weekend, and looking forward to picking it up again Tuesday.

You truly are King of the Sea.:fishbowl:

biodtl
05-25-2007, 09:15 AM
I went with Marketplace mainly for the shops. As much as I like West Side, I can't miss World of Disney, Once Upon a Toy or the Christmas store.

KAT1811
05-25-2007, 09:33 AM
I went with Marketplace for three main reasons.

1.) World of Disney

2.) Rainforest Cafe

3.) Ghirardelli Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop

Plus a true shopper I love all the other fun stores. Shop to you drop. DH is quite the shopper as well. :shop:

SBETigg
05-25-2007, 09:51 AM
I have very fond memories of Downtown Disney from long before it was Downtown Disney. I think it was the Lake Buena Vista Marketplace. It had just a few shops and just a few restaurants, and the Empress Lilly was the centerpiece. The treehouse villas were nearby.

Before my first trip, when I was twelve, I remember looking over the travel brochures with my mom and the villas looked intriguing, but it was the riverboat that caught my eye. How cool was that? When we finally arrived and I could see the top of the Empress Lilly from the road driving by, I was as excited as if I had just seen the castle. We ate in the Empress Room (as good as it got at the time, pre V & A) and it was just magical. So magical that I returned on my honeymoon right before it closed. It is just not the same to see it as Fultons now, and the build-up of the area has made it less enchanting to me. But it's still exciting. That's progress.

As much as we would all miss the new Downtown Disney and all it has to offer, I wish you all could have seen the sleepy romantic beauty of that little area before the development. It was really charming and special, with the twinkling lights in the trees being the brightest lights in the area after dusk. Anyone remember it?

Spaceship Tigger
05-25-2007, 12:17 PM
I like the restaurants on the West Side, but not really into Cirque, DisneyQuest, or the movie theater. I really love the shopping in the marketplace, though.

Belle_0717
05-25-2007, 12:24 PM
I can see more locals using West Side for the restaurant and nightlife. House of Blues is a fave.

Marketplace is great for World of Disney, Christmas store and of course - GHIRARDELLI! Let's not forget Fulton's. It is very nostaglic for me - though a lot has changed since my first visit in 1989.

mdricks
05-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Nothing ***** the money right outta your pants like downtown disney!! Capitalism at its best. And the lego store rocks!

MsMin
05-25-2007, 12:48 PM
I have very fond memories of Downtown Disney from long before it was Downtown Disney. I think it was the Lake Buena Vista Marketplace. It had just a few shops and just a few restaurants, and the Empress Lilly was the centerpiece. The treehouse villas were nearby.
As much as we would all miss the new Downtown Disney and all it has to offer, I wish you all could have seen the sleepy romantic beauty of that little area before the development. It was really charming and special, with the twinkling lights in the trees being the brightest lights in the area after dusk. Anyone remember it?
I remember it. I remember wanting to have those little lights in my trees too :D It was magical. My best memories are when my kids were little (over 20 yrs ago) and we went for Christmas and they had the Christmas play at night out by the lake on the stage. We went several years and practically planned our evenings around getting to the play.
I love the shops there WoD, WoMemories and the Christmas shop. Our trip isn't complete without shopping there. :minnie:

Tynkerbelle
05-25-2007, 12:51 PM

Before my first trip, when I was twelve, I remember looking over the travel brochures with my mom and the villas looked intriguing, but it was the riverboat that caught my eye. How cool was that? When we finally arrived and I could see the top of the Empress Lilly from the road driving by, I was as excited as if I had just seen the castle. We ate in the Empress Room (as good as it got at the time, pre V & A) and it was just magical. So magical that I returned on my honeymoon right before it closed. It is just not the same to see it as Fultons now, and the build-up of the area has made it less enchanting to me. But it's still exciting. That's progress.

I do, I do!!!! Yes, it was wonderful, wasn't it?!

We used to stay at the Fairway Villas every year and eat at the Empress Lilly every trip (dad's favorite meal). You're absolutely right - it is not the same since it's become Fulton's!

There used to be the bakery that my dad would head off to every morning so we all woke up to treats for breakfast and then there was Heidelburg's (sp?) Deli that had great sandwiches (that was lunch). We'd go to the market there to stock up on food for the villa! And of course there was the original Chef Mickey's!

I remember watching the construction of PI - to me that and the addition of the WS has kind of ruined the whole ambiance of the original Marketplace....

That was a nice walk down memory lane - I bet you can guess which way I voted!

Have a safe and happy Memorial Weekend everybody!!

BritCody
05-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Finally for me an easy question. I have to go with the Marketplace. World of Disney, Ghiradelli, and the Christmas Store!! Plus we have a tradition of getting our picture taken in front of the fountains next to the World of Disney. It's one of those sentimental things.

Thank You, King Triton
You have a Happy Holiday Weekend also and I agree lets never forget the Men and Women who gave the Ultimate Sacrifice for their country.

TIdoubleGR
05-25-2007, 02:52 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I love the WS...the atmosphere is so cosmopolitan, there are lots of little unique things to find and explore, and you feel like you're walking in the middle of a street party every night, where everyone is so friendly...I love it.

wilshade
05-25-2007, 05:23 PM
I like the West Side as well. Especially the weekend in November when the Festival of the Masters is there.

Very different vibe than Marketplace. But, then again, I am sure it was designed that way.

WDWfeelslikehome
05-25-2007, 06:04 PM
We love the feel of the Marketplace, and the taste of Earl of Sandwich.:cool:

Mickey91
05-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Definitely Downtown Disney Market Place! West Side is too much like the real world!

johnO
05-25-2007, 07:45 PM
I remember the marketplace before PI as well. As someone said it does feel too much like the "Real World" with Westside. Too much hustle and bustle now. It used to be just a really neat place that had a bunch of Disney Stores! The setting was a lot more peacefull and it was a nice break from the parks. Now it's so huge. I voted MP too.

:mickey:

GrmGrninGost
05-25-2007, 07:56 PM
West Side is too non-Disney for me!

dolphinmickey9170
05-25-2007, 09:23 PM
I only walk through the west side for a quick minute to get to a couple shops, but for the most part, I hate the smell of the cigar store. It just kills my sinuses.

I love the Marketplace!!

MinnieMommie
05-26-2007, 07:26 AM

I love the DD of today but I also have fond memories of its beginnings. Our experience dinning at Empress Lilly was just wonderful (what a loss). We also used to eat at Chef Mickey when it was located there as well. Great memories! :mickey:

tinksmom02
05-26-2007, 09:29 PM
I love all of DTD, but I really enjoy the MarketPlace. WOD, Basin, Earl of Sandwich, Ghirardelli's, Once upon a toy, Lego...so much shopping, so little time!

Last trip, we never even made it over to West Side, so I haven't even seen the changes made since our previous trip in 2004. Back then, we walked over and DD (2 at the time) had a blast dancing in the "street." They had the big screen in the center of the area, and a DJ. I don't think any of that is there anymore.

Polynesian Dweller
05-26-2007, 10:29 PM
A few have said it well. WS seems less Disney but I think that's probably intentional. It seems to me that WS is targetting locals more than tourists and vice versa for the marketplace.

RAIDER
05-29-2007, 03:51 AM
Marketplace for me i love it :thumbsup:

Flower
05-29-2007, 07:26 AM
Definitely the Market Place!

I loved going here as a child and still love it! The shops are fantastic and there is so much to do.

illini
05-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Wow, this must be the biggest blowout to date!

Another vote for Marketplace. Westside holds less appeal for me since I have kids in tow. WoD, Lego Store, Once Upon a Toy, and the Christmas Shop are absolute nirvana.

DizNee143
05-29-2007, 03:47 PM
DTD all the way...its just as fun as going to one of the parks to me...its great shopping and just a wonderful atmosphere there!! i love it!! i usually start and end my vacations there!! :mickey:

Bethanymouse
05-29-2007, 09:16 PM
I had to chose the marketplace. We do a lot of shopping in that area and love to see the merchandise in a relaxing way!

Figgyluv03
05-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Marketplace!

avantgardeinker
05-31-2007, 10:43 AM
That one was tough. Marketplace has all the great shopping, but West Side has the best restaurants. I voted for Marketplace, just because we spend more time there than West Side.

189 more days!!
:mickey:

iceicebritney
06-05-2007, 10:14 PM
wow, i can't believe the west side got raited so low. i mean it does have all the great restaurants! and the house of blues always has a good concert while were there... for the younger crowd (21 - 32) its definetly the place to be. drinks at bongos are a must before heading out to PI:marg:

mdearmas
08-02-2007, 04:26 PM
My DW and I enjoy marketplace! It's much more tranquil and you can really just take your time! I love the christmas store also. with christmas being my favorite time of year what could be better than year round christmas?
:goofy: