PDA

View Full Version : It was 30 years ago today ..

Mickey'sGirl
05-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Yes, 30 years ago today, Star Wars: A New Hope was released.... and movies as we knew them changed forever!

:darth: :trooper: :yoda: :chewy: :ewok:

We still watch these movies today, with our children...they have stood the test of time.

Happy Anniversary --- and may the force be with you!!

LibertyTreeGal
05-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Oh, I feel OLD now. I remember lining up three times around a city block in Timmons, Ontario to go see it when I was just shy of my 8th birthday...

It was the greatest and most amazing thing I had ever seen, and it has indeed stood the test of time.

I raise my :beer: to scruffy nerf herders everywhere!

Melanie
05-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Man, I am old. :old:

But you gals are right - it's amazing that our children love these movies like we did. I have two fanatics in my house. The new thing with my oldest is the comics.

May the force continue to be strong for years to come!

:yoda: :darth: :trooper: :ewok: :chewy:

SBETigg
05-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Ouch, I'm feeling old with you! I still remember my light blue t-shirt with the big Star Wars movie decal (pressed on at the T-Shirt Express, remember those places with the big hot press for iron-ons) that I wore practically every day of the summer between fourth grade and fifth. I saw Star Wars twice in the theater, the first time with my best friend and her dad before anyone in my neighborhood had even heard of it. I was blown away.

2Epcot
05-25-2007, 05:06 PM
I remember standing in line during the first year the film came out. 20 years later, my bother and I went back to the exact same theater where we saw it the first time to see it when it was re-relaeased on the 20th anniversay. It was fun, and kind of strange to be back where we were when we were kids. My little nephew is 6, and he is a huge Star Wars fan. He loves the originals movies, as much as the new ones.

Marker
05-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Actually, 30 years ago (ok, 30 years and 4 days ago), "Star Wars" was released. It didn't become "Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope" until much later.

Although it was release on May 25, 1977, I didn't see it until later that fall when I went away for college. Standing in long lines to see a movie just isn't my thing, I don't have to be first, I can wait.

I still hold that the original 3 movies were by far the best.

And they also inspired another of my favorite movies...... Space Balls!!!!!!!! :rotfl:

Ian
05-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Ouch, I'm feeling old with you! I still remember my light blue t-shirt with the big Star Wars movie decal (pressed on at the T-Shirt Express, remember those places with the big hot press for iron-ons) that I wore practically every day of the summer between fourth grade and fifth.I had one of those too!! :wave:

Yeah, I remember going to see this film in the theater on opening day. My Father (who was a complete sci-fi nut) took us during the day and the lines weren't too, too bad.

My friends and I were nuts about Star Wars. We had all the action figures, the toys, the trading cards ... the whole deal. We used to play Star Wars like every day (I was always Han Solo ;) ) and waited anxiously for each new movie to come out. I saw the original over 30 times in the theaters (we used to keep count and compete with one another to see who went more) and when I finally stopped counting I had seen it well in excess of 100 times.

Great movies that bring back memories of childhood and a time when films were just flat out better.

chrisb26
05-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Well I was never around for the original Star Wars movies however that doesn't stop me from being a Huge Star Wars fan. However I don't know how those people could sit through all 6 Star Wars movies in a row. :eek: :jaw: :eyes:

MickeyandTink
05-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Man, I am old. :old:

I'm feeling it, too. I remember trying to see it on my 13th birthday in October and being unable to because every showing for the day was sold out. Of course there were only 4 or 5 theaters with maybe 8 or 10 screens in the whole Dallas / Ft. Worth area even showing the movie. I guess that's part of the reason why it was sold out 4 and half months after release. I even remember seeing the newspaper ads "now showing in its 70th week". There are just way too many movie complexes today for any new film to show continuously for over a year.:(

I finally got to see it a few weeks later and have watched it many times since. I think the original still holds up as well today as it did 30 years ago.

May the Force be with you!

:yoda: :darth: :trooper: :ewok: :chewy:

2Epcot
05-30-2007, 01:27 PM
There are just way too many movie complexes today for any new film to show continuously for over a year.:(

The theater where we saw it also ran Star Wars for over a year. For those who know Arizona, they will remember the original Cine Capri theater ran Star Wars for a year or more continuously. It was a great theater to see it because it had the largest indoor screen in the Phoenix area. It had been out for at least 6 months before we finally saw it. If I'm not mistaken, I think that was also the only theater in the area showing it, for that first year. That would never happen today with all the multiplexes,and studios trying to get on as many screens as possible.