PDA

View Full Version : Who feels like the DDP should be stopped??

Minnie4me
05-25-2007, 07:57 AM
HI All,

ADR's are getting harder and harder to make....especially for last minute trips.

I will be going down for a last minute trip next weekend. Hey...$39 on Southwest....I couldn't say no.

ADR's are almost impossible to make.....trying to eat dinner at Ohana....yeah, if I want to eat at 10pm!!

I have AP's so I don't do the DDP.

I feel like the DDP, although may save some folks a little money...is a big hassle and makes getting ADR's harder and harder.

DDP should be discontinued...that's just my humble opinion.

Comments?????

Tygger7
05-25-2007, 08:09 AM
I absolutely, totally disagree. The DDP has been a life-saver for us. Since we live over 1200 miles from WDW, chances of a "spur of the moment" trip are nearly impossible. If we were able to go at the last minute, and had to forego the dining plan, we'd eat every meal at counter restaurants. Been there, done that....I was so sick of hamburgers and chicken tenders by the end of our trips, and was also always hungry....no fun. Before the dining plan, sit down restaurants weren't an option for us, due to cost. I've saved my receipts every time we've used the DDP and compared them against what I spent on the dining plan. EVERY TIME, I've saved at least 45%, and one trip I saved 60%. I don't mind having to make ADR's...in fact, I prefer it. It is such a relief knowing that I can get into the restaurants I want, and we plan our days around where we want to dine. I'm sure many will agree....planning a trip to WDW is part of the experience and I enjoy every minute of it. I think if I ever did take a trip without making ADR's, I'd be so stressed that I would have a hard time relaxing. Just my :twocents:

GreenBeetle
05-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Also disagree. The DDP has saved us more than a "little money". We've tried many restaurants that we would normally skip because of cost. And eating burgers and chicken fingers on the run gets old pretty darn quick!

I thoroughly enjoy the planning - ADRs included - of our trips to WDW.

Save the DDP!! ;) ;)

Minnie4me
05-25-2007, 08:29 AM
I don't mind having to make ADR's...in fact, I prefer it. It is such a relief knowing that I can get into the restaurants I want, and we plan our days around where we want to dine. I'm sure many will agree....planning a trip to WDW is part of the experience and I enjoy every minute of it. I think if I ever did take a trip without making ADR's, I'd be so stressed that I would have a hard time relaxing. Just my :twocents:

Let me clarify...I like planning my trips and I agree that ADR's are a must.

But if you go at the last minute or decide you would like to eat at a particular restaurant at the last minute. The restaurants are so full with DDP'ers that more times than not you have to settle for something else.

LibertyTreeGal
05-25-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm not so blessed to live close to WDW with what my dh does for a living and so will never have the luxury of the AP. I generally live in small towns (think -- less than 10,000 people) and have to drive hours to go to a restaurant that is Disney quality. WDW is my only chance to eat out all year, and without the DDP I wouldn't be able to afford it, especially with the kids. So I love the DDP and I hope it stays forever :mickey:

Most people here, I'll wager, can't afford to take a last minute trip to WDW -- from here, we can't ever get plane fare for less than $350/person.

So just my 2 cents, be thrilled that you can go to WDW on a whim -- even if you can't eat out exactly where you want to go. You'd never see me asking WDW to eliminate the AP just because it isn't fair to me, someone who has to save all year to afford their rates and plane fare.

llamaface
05-25-2007, 08:45 AM
I do not agree. I think the dining plan is great and would not want to see it disappear. However, I do feel that the ability to call 180 days ahead of time is a bit extreme. I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow. let alone 6 months from now!! It seemed that when the mark was 90 days it wasn't quite as difficult to get ADR's or even a walk-in. I actually ate at CRT 2x for breakfast as a walk-in back in early '00. So i/o getting rid of the DDP, how about going back to 90 days??

Tigerlilly
05-25-2007, 08:49 AM
I do not feel its the DDP's fault you cannot get a reservation.

We did not use the DDP on our trip before last but we still called and got reservations where we wanted to eat as soon as we made our vacation plans.
Its just the nature of sit down dining. There is a restaurant here in Litchfield Beach SC that you have to have reservations 3 months out during peak seasons. They even added a huge outdoor dining area and it just filled right up.

richardsa98
05-25-2007, 08:51 AM
I think whether the DDP is available or not, people will forever book their dining reservations 180 day s in advance now because they can.... I am the forever planner and will plan my meals as far in advnce as I can whether paying OOP or DDP.:party:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-25-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm another DDP fan. I love being able to pay for the meals in advance, one less thing to worry about when there, and we definately try new places, that we wouldn't try otherwise.

I remember, well before the DDP, not being able to get an ADR at popular places, although it is rather crazy now...but I agree with a poster above, I wonder how much of it has to do with the 180-day bookings, so it gets people thinking about it so much sooner? Even a "late" booker, is still probably booking at 50 or 100 days out from their trip.

Maybe Disney needs to build some more restuarants, they would fill them, and make the $$!

Mickey'sGirl
05-25-2007, 09:01 AM
I think whether the DDP is available or not, people will forever book their dining reservations 180 day s in advance now because they can.... I am the forever planner and will plan my meals as far in advnce as I can whether paying OOP or DDP.:party:
:ditto:

That said..... I think 90 days was sufficient!

bleukarma
05-25-2007, 09:22 AM
I agree and disagree. Although I’ve never used the DDP because I usually only go for one or two day trips, I plan on using it when I go next September (to hopefully take advantage of free dining). I think the DDP is a good idea, but I think they need to only book maybe 85% of restaurants with ADR’s and leave 15% of seating to walk-ups or same-day ressie’s. The 90 day out ADR requirement is probably my #1 gripe with Disney right now. It’s ridiculous! If I have a last minute change of mind I’m out of luck...and I hate it. Or if I happen to be walking past…say…Coral Reef and I decide I would like to eat dinner there I can’t do it because they are all booked. A place like Disney I think needs to leave some seating aside for one day trippers (I am not an APH even though I live 45 min away, I can’t afford an AP) since one day trippers can’t take advantage of the DDP. As far as getting rid of the DDP, I wouldn’t go that extreme. It does save families that can use it lots of money. But I think Disney should start a new policy on not booking a restaurant entirely full. I know they do it for the money, but it’s just not fair to the people that can’t do the DDP.

Seasonscraps
05-25-2007, 09:26 AM
It's simple supply & demand. Disney created a demand for TS restaurants, now it's time to provide additional TS restaurants to meet the demand. The DDP gives a lot of people the option to eat in restaurants they normally wouldn't which means the current restaurants are stretched well beyond their limits. Additional restaurants would help alleviate that strain.

GreenBeetle
05-25-2007, 09:27 AM
. . . but I think they need to only book maybe 85% of restaurants with ADR’s and leave 15% of seating to walk-ups or same-day ressie’s.

A very good idea . . . why hasn't Disney done this to make everyone happy?? :mickey:

SBETigg
05-25-2007, 09:38 AM
I agree and disagree. But I think Disney should start a new policy on not booking a restaurant entirely full. I know they do it for the money, but it’s just not fair to the people that can’t do the DDP.

First off, I totally disagree that they should save tables for walk-ins. If they can book them in advance, why not? And your not having the DDP has no effect on your ability to make advance dining reservations, so it is completely fair. What's not fair? DDP people are not getting preference over tables or increased ability to make ADRs. You have the same chances at booking those tables with or without DDP.

I also agree and disagree on the DP, though. The DP is great, so affordable. All-inclusive vacations are more and more popular with travelers, and this is a way for Disney to add something like it. It's also a key marketing move in keeping visitors on-site. Plus, the Dining promotions really bring in the crowds. Brilliant plan. Smart marketing. The DDP isn't going away any time soon.

Personally, I love paying for things in advance and not worrying as much when I get there. I don't mind advance planning. I do worry about declining quality in fear of keeping costs down, and that's the one thing I don't like about DDP. I'm willing to pay more for better quality and more choices. The DDP may streamline dining, reduce menu choices. I don't like that about the DDP.

pshokie
05-25-2007, 09:48 AM
A place like Disney I think needs to leave some seating aside for one day trippers (I am not an APH even though I live 45 min away, I can’t afford an AP) since one day trippers can’t take advantage of the DDP.

Okay, I am going to play dumb, cause well, regarding this I am. :D But what does the DDP have to do with ADRs (aside from supply & demand)? I made ADRs before I made my actual resort reservations. I wanted to make sure we had CRT & Corral Reef for My DD, so I was flexible on travel dates. Once I got it, we booked our stay. So I actually boolked ADRs before I had the DDP.

I do not think they are one in the same. Just looking for clarification...

As for walk ups, I would say two things; #1 WDW is diffent from anywhere else because its guests are in essence "trapped". They must eat at restaurants, so they get swamped. Which leads to #2, go to any "equivalent" type of restaurant in a major city (where people are not trapped) and ask for a walk up. Just as the OP stated, you would be waiting till 10 pm for a seat there as well.

And I am not talking about Applebees or Fridays here. Those, IMHO are closer to the CS throughout the parks than 'Ohana or Corral Reef.

The current system works for Disney (that is, it makes $$$$$$$$$). So I doubt it will change any time soon. Go figure....:D

Tinkerfreak
05-25-2007, 09:55 AM
I like the dining plan I just wish it was not 180 days out. What is next 9 months out? Then they will have to try to release the calanders earlier to allow people to plan their adrs. I just think it is getting out of control. I would be happy if they went back to 90 days out, I was happy with that and I think lots of others were. I know that it might not make good business sense to set aside a certain number of tables for walk-ups but I do think that what they lose in lost food sales they will make up for in happy return customers. I don't know how many times I have seen frustrated people trying to get in to a restaurant and when they can't they are so frustrated they say "We are never coming back to Disney again". We all know that they should have planned ahead but maybe they couldn't. Maybe they made the trip at the last minute. I doubt that they would have a hard time filling those tables set aside for walk-ins.

Ian
05-25-2007, 10:06 AM
I am 100% sure that Disney does save at least some table space for walk-ups.

On more than one occasion I've called to get an ADR while in the parks and been declined as they were "all full."

But we've then walked up to the same restaurant minutes later and were able to get right in and get a table ... sometimes with no wait at all.

Lehman Family
05-25-2007, 10:37 AM
We love the dining plan and wouldn't be able to take our trips without it. I do think they need to keep room in the restaurants for walkins. If you're filled up for the whole day before the park ever opens, that's fine for the restaurant (and Disney) but it puts out A LOT of potential customers. There are also people who don't like to plan everything for their vacation...it's a vacation, why should planning EVERY detail have to be a part of it. If you get behind on your schedule it will throw everything off for the day. We use the DDP everytime we go because it saves us money, we also can't afford to go on a whim to WDW. We can barely afford to go every-other year like we try to do. Adding restaurants probably won't help either since you can make reservations so far out, they'll just fill those up too. I really think that the only way to help the situation out is to allow a certain percentage of times and seats open for walkins.

bleukarma
05-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Oh, I should’ve been clear with my thinking…DDP and ADR’s are not the same thing but I think the DDP has caused the number of ADR’s to go up (more people eating at TS restaurants, more ADR’s being made). Back when there wasn’t a dining plan (at last not one as popular as this one) then we would usually wait until the morning we go to the park to make our reservations and have no problem at all. Now I have to know where I want to eat further in advance then the same day.

As for the people that say I can still make my ADR’s before I go for my one day trip, your absolutely right. I just don’t like it. For example my best friend and I talking about taking a short trip over in September for her boyfriends birthday at this very minute. Right now we have no idea where we want to eat. But when we do decide it then chances are it will be booked up (especially because of free dining at that time).

With that being said, I would never want Disney to get rid of the dining plan. I absolutely don’t expect Disney to drop it for people like me! In fact I’m happy it’s out there to save families that can use it money! I just wish it didn’t aid in booking up all the restaurants.

Minnie4me
05-25-2007, 12:51 PM
First off, I totally disagree that they should save tables for walk-ins. If they can book them in advance, why not? And your not having the DDP has no effect on your ability to make advance dining reservations, so it is completely fair. What's not fair? DDP people are not getting preference over tables or increased ability to make ADRs. You have the same chances at booking those tables with or without DDP.

1. They should have walk up tables for guests that make last minute trips, or decide they want to eat at a restaurant that they were not aware even existed...or because they just changed their minds and wanted to eat there. Like another poster said...it is a vacation and you should be able to have some flexability.

2. Yes the DDP does affect someones ability to make ADR's. Because of the DDP, more people are eating at TS restaurants and they book up faster...plain and simple. Yes, Disney should add more TS restaurants.

For me...the DDP has create the need to plan and call as far in advance as possible for ADR's...and crossing your fingers that there is a table with your name on it.

As time goes on it will be like trying to get a table at Cinderella Castle. Call exactly 180 days out and at 7am EST.

Tygger7
05-25-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm not so blessed to live close to WDW with what my dh does for a living and so will never have the luxury of the AP. I generally live in small towns (think -- less than 10,000 people) and have to drive hours to go to a restaurant that is Disney quality. WDW is my only chance to eat out all year, and without the DDP I wouldn't be able to afford it, especially with the kids. So I love the DDP and I hope it stays forever :mickey:

Most people here, I'll wager, can't afford to take a last minute trip to WDW -- from here, we can't ever get plane fare for less than $350/person.

So just my 2 cents, be thrilled that you can go to WDW on a whim -- even if you can't eat out exactly where you want to go. You'd never see me asking WDW to eliminate the AP just because it isn't fair to me, someone who has to save all year to afford their rates and plane fare.

Amen. I'm in the same boat as you, and you said exactly what I was thinking. We can't afford to go to WDW every year...and we're doing good to scrape together the money for every other year. Even with rising gas prices, flying is way too expensive when you're travelling as a family of 4, so we end up spending 22 hours driving. :drive: And, we also live in a small town, with the closest sit-down restaruant being 1 hour away.

As other posters have said, I don't think the DP is to blame....it's the fact that you can make your ADR's 180 days in advance. Even with that though, I know it is possible to make ADR's 1-2 weeks out, or even the same day. Notice I said POSSIBLE...not guaranteed. Does everyone make ADR's at the 180 day mark...no. In fact, for our May 2006 trip, I didn't make ADR's until March and had no problem getting the restaurants I wanted. We ate at either 5pm or 5:30pm, and even got into a character dinner. Now, for our May 2008 trip, I WILL be calling right at the 180 day mark because there are certain restaruants/dinner shows that I don't want to miss. We're celebrating our 20th anniversary and I'm making sure we squeeze in everything we want to do.

Sorry to ramble....like LibertyTreeGal said, just be extremely thankful you can afford to make a last minute trip. Not everyone is that lucky. :vacation:

MickeyandTink
05-25-2007, 02:20 PM
We love the dining plan and wouldn't be able to take our trips without it. I do think they need to keep room in the restaurants for walkins. If you're filled up for the whole day before the park ever opens, that's fine for the restaurant (and Disney) but it puts out A LOT of potential customers. There are also people who don't like to plan everything for their vacation...it's a vacation, why should planning EVERY detail have to be a part of it. If you get behind on your schedule it will throw everything off for the day. We use the DDP everytime we go because it saves us money, we also can't afford to go on a whim to WDW. We can barely afford to go every-other year like we try to do. Adding restaurants probably won't help either since you can make reservations so far out, they'll just fill those up too. I really think that the only way to help the situation out is to allow a certain percentage of times and seats open for walkins.

:ditto:

We are taking advantage of the free dining, but had already planned to do the DDP before free dining was offered. DW :tink: and I :smickey: love having it already budgeted and taken care of. As SBETigg said, it's almost like the all-inclusive vacations. Now if they just get those refillable beer mugs :beer:

Plus, we feel like we can enjoy going out to restaurants we would otherwise probably never try nor be able to get anywhere near the quality of in our hometown.

However, I do agree with some of the others that 180 days out is a little extreme. 90 - 120 days would probably be better.

grumpycajun
05-25-2007, 02:41 PM
I don't think a lot of people will agree with you on this one... We use the DDP and we make ADR's. The trick is persistance and flexibility. Sometimes it's just pure luck. We just booked two weeks ago for a trip over the 4th of July week. We got ADR's for the following on the first try:

Mon. 07/02 - Dinner at Cape May Cafe 5:50 pm
Wed. 07/04 - Dinner at Artist Point 6:30 pm
Thurs. 07/05 - Dinner at Liberty Tree 6:35 pm
Fri. 07/06 - Dinner at O'hana 8:25 pm

The point is, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you just have to call a few times to get what you want when you want it. IMHO the DDP is great!

SBETigg
05-25-2007, 03:17 PM
2. Yes the DDP does affect someones ability to make ADR's. Because of the DDP, more people are eating at TS restaurants and they book up faster...plain and simple. Yes, Disney should add more TS restaurants.

Yes, but my response was to the poster who implied (mistakenly, as he later corrected) that DDP people had an unfair advantage in making ADRs, which is completely untrue. Everyone has the same advantage in making ADRs. The DDP does make restaurants fill up quicker, perhaps, and it has made ADRs more important than ever. But, there is no advantage given to people on DDP over people without it as far as making ADRs.

But I will concede that you changed my mind on walk-ups. Keeping a few tables unbooked is not a bad idea perhaps. But then, on the other hand, doesn't it penalize the people who called ahead only to find no availability?

TheRustyScupper
05-25-2007, 03:19 PM
1) I dislike DDP, but for other reasons.
2) DDP is good
. . . it allows more people to eat at WDW
. . . it allows folks to eat more table service eateries
3) I dislike it because
. . . it is "dumbing down" the menu items
. . . it is making too many similar menus
. . . it is reducing the number of unique menu items

NOTE: DDP does give the people what they want - the ability to graze, the ability to eat more than they normally would, the ability to pig out, the ability to have volume over quality. Just what Americans want.

TexasPrincessAurora
05-25-2007, 04:53 PM
3) I dislike it because
. . . it is "dumbing down" the menu items
. . . it is making too many similar menus
. . . it is reducing the number of unique menu items

I totally agree with this point. Since the advent of the DDP the menus have become much much more limited. Every restaurant used to have such a uniqueness to it, with more than one page of choices. Now there are maybe 3 or 4 choices in each course, if that. I think it has also reduced the portion sizes of menu items, before when you paid out of pocket for dining you got more for your money.

I, as far as ADR's are concerned, am totally a planned and love the aspect of planning our days and setting our dinner reservations. I like being able to do this ahead of time...perhaps I remember the early days at EPCOT where you had to go directly to the restaurant at which you wanted to dine, on the day you wanted to eat there, to make a reservation...and you just had to hope others weren't faster than you.

dtootsie42
05-25-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure what I think about the DDP. We are a family of five and go to Disney usually every other year. We have never once used the Dining plan because we find that we save money with out the plan. We are not big appetizer or dessert eaters so it seems like a waste of food. For those who think we may not do sit down meals we do a lot of those. For our trip coming up in December we plan on making 9 adr's. The rest of the meals are for places such as the Tusker house, Casey's, the Earl of Sandwich, etc. etc.

I know several people say they could not go without having the dining plan available and I am assuming they are talking about free dining.

Yes, I think the menus have become limited from when we first started coming to Disney. I also think having to make ADR's so far in advance is silly.

Just my thoughts!

Septbride2002
05-25-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't dislike the DDP but I do dislike the Free DDP because it fills up the resorts at a time when typically no one else is there. It makes sense for business, but for those of us who enjoy the off seasons it is a bummer that the parks are filled.

~Amanda

wilshade
05-25-2007, 06:26 PM
I can see the positives and the negatives of the DDP. But, I think most of the negatives will eventually be "tweaked" out.

I think you are seeing some of that "tweaking" already. Correct me if I am wrong, but have there not been several restaurants which have been excluded from the DDP this year? Several Epcot eateries and all nearly all of the DTD places?

I just booked my trip which includes the DDP, and I have made most of my ADRs accordingly. But, I also made ADRs at a couple of places not on the plan.

dyin tago
05-25-2007, 06:42 PM
In response to minnie4me`s post I believe that the free dining is a great thing for people who have to travel great distances to disney paying airfare etc to cut down the expense a bit.as far as last minute visits and people who live nearby who do last minute visits it should not be a big deal to visit outside this small window when free dining is offered.

Magic Smiles
05-26-2007, 12:00 AM
I think they need to only book maybe 85% of restaurants with ADR’s and leave 15% of seating to walk-ups or same-day ressie’s.

I so agree with this. Leave some space for non-planners like our family, but you do not have to do away with the DDP. We want to try some of the nicer restaurants on this upcoming trip, but none of us want to be tied to meal reservations, so for a 16 night trip we are only making 3 ADRs. We are spur of the moment people.

kakn7294
05-26-2007, 12:15 AM
I love the DDP. Not only are my meals prepaid and I don't have to worry about how I'm going to feed my kids should I lose my wallet, but I get to try places that it would take years to get to. We never ate a TS meal everyday in the days before this incarnation of the dining plan but I have found that I rather enjoy it. I can understand the frustration of not being able to get into the places you want at the last minute though but at this point in our lives, spur-of-the moment trips aren't going to happen and I'm not an AP holder.

prttynpnk
05-26-2007, 08:03 AM
I love the idea of the DDP- it makes my trip more relaxed- since I'm prepaid and pre-planned and opens up a lot of dining I couldn't previously afford.
But- RedRAndall has a serious point- quality,variety and options are narrowing down- if it ends up all buffets, I'll stop using it- I can eat at Ryans at home?!
The seating issues do need to be addressed and a percentage of walk up seating should be reserved for last minute trippers and people who aren't as versed in planning as some of us.
I wouldn't mind seeing a few more higher-end off the plan venues open up to keep the gourmet element alive- would that be so wrong?

mrsgaribaldi
05-26-2007, 08:11 AM
I agree and disagree. I think the DDP is a good idea, but I think they need to only book maybe 85% of restaurants with ADR’s and leave 15% of seating to walk-ups or same-day ressie’s. If I have a last minute change of mind I’m out of luck...and I hate it. Or if I happen to be walking past…say…Coral Reef and I decide I would like to eat dinner there I can’t do it because they are all booked. A place like Disney I think needs to leave some seating aside for one day trippers (I am not an APH even though I live 45 min away, I can’t afford an AP) since one day trippers can’t take advantage of the DDP. As far as getting rid of the DDP, I wouldn’t go that extreme. It does save families that can use it lots of money. But I think Disney should start a new policy on not booking a restaurant entirely full. I know they do it for the money, but it’s just not fair to the people that can’t do the DDP.

I agree 100%:thumbsup:

disneydaisy
05-26-2007, 09:33 AM
I have never had the DDP due to us staying at Shades of Green. However, I am definately a planner and still use the 180 day mark, or whatever it is at the time, to make my ADR's. We do not fill every day with ADR's because we like to leave a few days open for wherever we choose to go and just get counter service. I can understand the frustration of not being able to get in for last minute trips, but we even get that at home on a Friday night. Some restaurants are near enough impossible to get in. Do the Disney restaurants leave some tables open for walk-ins or do they book them completely with ADR's if they can? However, if I did have the opportunity to be on the DDP i too would probably get it. I worked out the cost savings from this trip and even without making ADR's for every day we would have saved money with the DDP.:mickey:

TiggerRPh
05-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Just my thoughts on this....for all you people that think you're saving a bunch of money on the DDP...you're really not.

Since you have to buy a "package"...it's likely that you're paying more for your room than you would be if you got a discounted room. Just because you're only paying $38/day for your food doesn't mean you're not paying more somewhere else.

Believe me....if Disney wasn't making money on DDP they wouldn't be doing it.

Without a doubt it's gotten harder to get an ADR and get into a sitdown restaurant "on the fly" than before DDP started....no one can argue that.

MsMin
05-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Did you go to EPCOT in the early 80's when it first opened??? Making an ADR was a nightmare and a huge waste of time. For those who don't remember you had to go to the bottom of Spaceship Earth @ park opening, day of to make a ressie- it was worse than bargin shopping. Those days only Fla residents could get an AP and could go just to eat. You were lucky to get anything and spent an hour or more starting your day to get a chance at dining in an EPCOT restaurant and this was in early Dec. with low crowds. Walk-ins didn't exist. I love that I don't have to do that anymore....

Maybe Disney needs to build some more restuarants, they would fill them, and make the $$!
This is what I say-- meet the demand for more TS.

That said..... I think 90 days was sufficient!
I agree and disagree. I prefer 90 days out but I'm afraid that logistically it may work better @ 180 out b/c you are not jamming the ressie lines but spreading out the requests. If you increase the # of reservationists imagine the frustration of the ressie taken by the time they hit enter. Sadly I think it may be necessary.

I think the DDP is a good idea, but I think they need to only book maybe 85% of restaurants with ADR’s and leave 15% of seating to walk-ups or same-day ressie’s. The 90 day out ADR requirement is probably my #1 gripe with Disney right now.
I don't think tables should be saved b/c you will have tables pop up, maybe only 10% but you have no shows and ppl who eat fast or very little. There will always be some walk-in due to the nature of the service.

Personally, I love paying for things in advance and not worrying as much when I get there. I don't mind advance planning. I do worry about declining quality in fear of keeping costs down, and that's the one thing I don't like about DDP. I'm willing to pay more for better quality and more choices. The DDP may streamline dining, reduce menu choices. I don't like that about the DDP.
:ditto: I wonder how many of the changes we see in the restaurants is also do to Disney's goal to make the meals healthier-- less fats can often lead to less flavor and appear that it's quality but some I'm sure is for their healthy menu too.

NOTE: DDP does give the people what they want - the ability to graze, the ability to eat more than they normally would, the ability to pig out, the ability to have volume over quality. Just what Americans want. Are you calling me FAT? :razz: Personally I don't like the buffets but I think that it works well for families with young ones or picky eaters.

Minnie4me
05-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Just my thoughts on this....for all you people that think you're saving a bunch of money on the DDP...you're really not.

Since you have to buy a "package"...it's likely that you're paying more for your room than you would be if you got a discounted room. Just because you're only paying $38/day for your food doesn't mean you're not paying more somewhere else.

Believe me....if Disney wasn't making money on DDP they wouldn't be doing it.

Without a doubt it's gotten harder to get an ADR and get into a sitdown restaurant "on the fly" than before DDP started....no one can argue that.

I am glad to see that someone else besides myself realizes this.

CosmicRay
05-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Okay, here's my thoughts... If you are going in the summer time whether there was a DDP or not it's going to be hard to get ADR's or walk in.
Also, since the ADR date is 180 days out people are going to make ADR's and then realize a few months later, they can't go. They will have to cancel and then spaces open up. I know for my family we are one of those unfortunate that can't go all the time. But if we think we can get the money together, we make our ressies and hope we can go. There have been times where a month before our trip we had to cancel and I had to cancel all 6 days of our dining plans. And as the CM on the other side of the phone told me "You just made some lucky guest very happy!" People are going to cancel and people can call whenever to see if there has been an open spot available.

Cinderelley
05-26-2007, 03:11 PM
This is my first trip using the DDP, but it didn't change my eating habits any. I'm just using it because it's free. If it wasn't, I would still be making my ADRs for the restaurants, but would be paying OOP.

I don't think having walk-up tables would solve the problem. The tables would still fill up at some point, people would still be turned away and grumble.

disneyfan369
05-26-2007, 03:55 PM

Yes, I may not be saving money on this, but considering we would be reduced to eating CS for the whole trip and maybe one TS place, I'm willing to pay the extra money, whatever that may be. Plus, I plan to splurge and get the most expensive items on the menu. Why not? The DDP is great. After all, it allows people who would otherwise have to eat hamburgers to eat the Atlantic salmon at the Hollywood Brown Derby. Not everybody is fortunate enough to be able to whip over to Disney whenever they feel like it. As others have very correctly pointed out, some of us scrimp and save to pay for a trip to Disney.

2manykats
05-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Well I had already made all of my ADR's when I was talked into moving my vacation back a day to get the free dinning. I had booked room only for app. 1,600. I now am paying 2,500 app but this includes base tickets to the parks (which we can upgrade) and almost all my meals. I did have over 14 TS Adr's made but I am now wondering if we are going to be able to use all of the counter service meals. So for about 900 more I think I am getting a great deal.
:D Oh by the way I am staying at POFQ.:mickey:

iceicebritney
05-26-2007, 08:02 PM
although i do agree that there are negative sides to the disney dining plan (like the downgrading of quality restaurants into self serving buffets across the property), i do think it is great for families.
we go to WDW 3 times a year, every year, with a very huge party - and it costs a lot... since the dining plan was introduced, its been great for us all because we can actually save money somewhere! we've always used whatever form of dining plan disney offered... (ahh - we miss the days of the Grand Plan!) and we've really enjoyed our meals a lot more - it may be a hassle to get your ADR's, but thats why they are available to be made so far ahead of your stay. and you should plan ahead, so you dont have to make changes to them. we always plan our trip around our adrs.
bottom line- the DDP is wonderful. suddenly you feel less guilty about dinner when you (or your parents) dont have to actually pay that enormous bill at the end of the nite.:beer:

Guya103
05-26-2007, 10:05 PM
We are a family of 6 that live in Michigan, go every year for two weeks and have never done the dining plan. I just don't like the idea of paying with meal tickets. I can understand how it is beneficial for some families, but I prefer the freedom of paying out of pocket with no restrictions of what I can and can't eat. I do think that it is a positive factor for the greater good, just not for us. :mickey:

kgoulash
05-27-2007, 10:40 AM
i admit i haven't read through all the responses but here is my 2 cents

1. i think there should be some sort of penalty, for lack of better word, for adrs, i mean like cali grill you will be charged if you don't show up that way people won't clog the system with so many unfulfilled adrs. i also think 180 days is a bit much, how about 90 days?
2. it's harder for us 'old timers' to justify the newer dinning plans. my family and i have been using disney dinning plans since the days of the 'gold key card' where you could eat anywhere anytime as much as you pleased. i understand disney needs to make restrictions to make it profitable for itself but it just doesn't work for some of us used to a different way.

Jillirose
05-27-2007, 10:57 AM
We have never done the DDP, but saved our receipts last time, and figured we would have saved $400 or so. SO, next time we will!

We always made reservations, without the DDP.

I think the reservations should be available online, not only by phone. That is so annoying!

I think they do save for walk ins. Everytime we've gone, they have been 'booked' at Sci-Fi Theatre. We always check (in person) first stop and get a table. It may not be right at prime time, so we plan our snacks accordingly.... Also, we have found if they only have reservation for 2 available, when you check-in and say you've added to your party, they usually find the space:).

vamaggie
05-27-2007, 11:59 AM
HI All,

ADR's are getting harder and harder to make....especially for last minute trips.

I will be going down for a last minute trip next weekend. Hey...$39 on Southwest....I couldn't say no.

ADR's are almost impossible to make.....trying to eat dinner at Ohana....yeah, if I want to eat at 10pm!!

I have AP's so I don't do the DDP.

I feel like the DDP, although may save some folks a little money...is a big hassle and makes getting ADR's harder and harder.

DDP should be discontinued...that's just my humble opinion.

Comments?????

I'm sorry---you get to go next week/now? and for $39 airfare? and you are upset you can't eat at the restaurant you want? If I was able to fly off and go on whim, with APs, knowing I would be going back again (soon? at least w/in the year?) I would not be upset that those who have been planning and saving for a trip for months (years!) and already made ADRs got the time I wanted. For some folks, this may be their ONLY chance to eat at Ohanas. I agree Disney needs to look at their TS capacities and open more restaurants if they are filling them up all the time but I would not fault the DP exclusively. Just my :twocents:

snifflesmcg
05-27-2007, 12:35 PM
I totally disagree! I love the DDP and don't think I'll ever go to WDW without it. It's nice for people like me, who can't just go anytime I feel like it, plan their trip better. I do agree with the 180 day ADR's should be scaled back to 90 again. I never plan my trips 6 months in advance. It's also not like you CAN'T get a sit down meal anywhere in WDW. It's like anything. If I go to Applebee's at dinner time on a friday night....they are going to be pretty booked, I'll just go to, let's say, TGIF instead. I have seen in Town Hall in MK a list of restaurants with times that were available for that day.

GrmGrninGost
05-27-2007, 07:36 PM
NO WAY! DDP forever!

crazypoohbear
05-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Last year my family of 4 went down for a week.
our room was 750. I saved all our dining receipts for the week. We "spent" over 1400.00 in food. This did not count our snacks.
We never would have been able to afford the trip without free dining.
Yes it does put you on a schedule but we would never have tried any restaurants without free dining.
When we ususally go it's peco's bills all the way:!

tinksmom02
05-27-2007, 08:17 PM
I know several people say they could not go without having the dining plan available and I am assuming they are talking about free dining.

Actually, we are fans of the DDP, free or not. Our first trip was in 2004 and we didn't use a dining plan. We ate at Coral Reef, Rainforest Cafe (both lunch, by the way) and had breakfast at Ohanas. We are a family that enjoys going out to eat, but without the dining plan, there's no way we'd be able to enjoy as many sit down meals! I would never stay at Disney without the DDP again, regardless of it being free, or having to pay for it.

princessjojo
05-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Personally, I love the DDP. Without it my family and I would fall into the counter service only restaurants in order to keep within our budget. There would be some exceptions, but for the most part the DDP gives us a real vacation feel. A day full of fun, great dinners at night, and a relaxing evening doing whatever we feel we want to do.

I agree with many others who have posted here in that if I were to try to get a table of WDW's table service caliber anywhere in our area, it wouldn't be easy at all, unless we wanted to eat anytime after 9:30 and we would still often have to wait about 15-30 minutes if not longer.

Even if Disney were to add more tables in their restaurants, why would they want to save tables or strictly walk up customers? I agree that it would be nice and though you can pretty much assume that they would be filled sometime during that evening, the ADR's are typically guaranteed revenue for them.

I can remember trying to get ADR's at restaurants before the DDP and it wasn't any easier then than it is now. But those who frequent Disney usually know which restaurants will be difficult to get ADR's in anyways and wouldn't be surprised trying to make them for a spur of the moment trip and not having them available.

I love the DDP and hope it never goes away. Otherwise I will be making grocery runs each trip to WDW because the food is otherwise too expensive for my family who is never full.

Mickey91
05-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Well, I agree that it would be nice if the restaurants would save some seating for walk ins. But, I also would NOT get rid of the dining plan. It is a big financial stretch to take a trip to WDW for most families. The ability to experience the magic and also be able to enjoy some finer dining is a major plus for most of us. We don't normally eat at places like LeCellier unless we are on vacation (at WDW). With DDP we can now not only afford it, but have it paid for before we go so we are not constantly pinching pennies to see how much is left for the gas home. I'm sure for the more affluent, the DDP gets in the way of their normal luxurious spontaneity. But for those of us on a budget, and used to having to plan in order to get to do something, it is part of life.

Spaceship Tigger
05-28-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm not afraid to say that I honestly don't like what the DDP has done to WDW dining and would not be upset at all if it was gone. Only when the DDP is free do we save any money at all - the paid-for DDP would cost us more money since we would be paying rack rates for the room.

Since '05 when the DDP began we are now seeing a lot of differences in quality. If you compare menus from then to now, many of the better entrees have been removed. In a few years I'm afraid all of the menus will look like the current kids menus - just a few choices per restaurant.

While it's great that many people can enjoy their vacations more since the advent of the DDP, it has still undoubtedly changed WDW dining, and certainly not for the better.

USCTinkerbell
05-28-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm not afraid to say that I honestly don't like what the DDP has done to WDW dining and would not be upset at all if it was gone. Only when the DDP is free do we save any money at all - the paid-for DDP would cost us more money since we would be paying rack rates for the room.

Since '05 when the DDP began we are now seeing a lot of differences in quality. If you compare menus from then to now, many of the better entrees have been removed. In a few years I'm afraid all of the menus will look like the current kids menus - just a few choices per restaurant.

While it's great that many people can enjoy their vacations more since the advent of the DDP, it has still undoubtedly changed WDW dining, and certainly not for the better.

I really like the DDP but feel the quality of the waitstaff has really suffered.
We've had great waiters and some REALLY bad ones. The bad thing is the bad ones know they will get the same tip on the plan as a good one unless we tip more which we do for great service!

Also, we did alot of character meals the last two times we went but are steering clear of the buffets because the quality of them are mediocre at best. We've had good dinners at 190 Park Fare (which will be closed on our next visit) and Hollywood and vine but the Crystal Palace was one of the worst dinners including the waitress that we had the entire trip.

Le Cellier was tops on waitstaff during our last trip which we visited 2 times that trip. We really love that place!

I like the flexibility of trying new restaurants and not having to worry about where we will go and how much out of pocket but I hate not being able to be spontaneous as well.

Seasonscraps
05-28-2007, 01:06 PM

I feel the same way about the impact of the DDP on the menus at DW.

Brooklynos
05-28-2007, 01:39 PM
We love the dining plan. We went 3 times before it was offered and paid a fortune for our food. We have gone 4 times with it, 3 with just my DH and I and got to try lots of neat places we couldn't before. Last year we actually took our inlaws and all 6 of us paid for ddp and was well worth it. That trip was during free dining and we didn't book in time to get it free but loved it anyway. We are going back in Sept for free dining and just figure, It is our vacation , it is what we make of it, let's have a good time with what is offered. Plus, we are pretty simple people, don't need too fancy of meals, as long as they are good, and filling which we have always had both. just my:twocents:.

Minnie4me
05-28-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm sorry---you get to go next week/now? and for $39 airfare? and you are upset you can't eat at the restaurant you want? If I was able to fly off and go on whim, with APs, knowing I would be going back again (soon? at least w/in the year?) I would not be upset that those who have been planning and saving for a trip for months (years!)

I'm sure for the more affluent, the DDP gets in the way of their normal luxurious spontaneity. But for those of us on a budget, and used to having to plan in order to get to do something, it is part of life.

I just want to set the record straight...

I am a working class person. I work 7 days a week. I drive 77 miles each way at 0430 in the morning for my day job (supporting our country)...and I work side jobs on the weekends.

I am not affluent by any means...heck I drive a 1989 Caprice Classic for crying out loud. I am sure that both vamaggie and Mickey91 drive a better car than I do.

With that off my chest. Yes, I did get a good airfare and I am able to get down there for 3 days. My work schedule won't allow for more than that. Most of the time we drive down.

I have AP's because my family lives down there... so I do drive there fairly often. If I am there I go to Disney.

Yes, I do get frustrated when I try to make ADR's and everything is booked up. I was wanting to take my mother to Ohana's as a belated Mothers Day surprise, it is her favorite restaurant. She doesn't get out very often unless someone takes her out. I really wanted to surprise her, but after a thousand calls there is no room at the Inn...so to speak.

I agree with many of the responses...180 is too much, 90 days would be more reasonable.

I am sure the DDP helps alot of families...and for that I am glad. I just feel that with the DDP and 180 day reservations, the restaurants fill up way too fast.

Oh yeah....vamaggie....nobody like sarcasim.

bleukarma
05-28-2007, 08:14 PM
I just want to set the record straight...

I am a working class person. I work 7 days a week. I drive 77 miles each way at 0430 in the morning for my day job (supporting our country)...and I work side jobs on the weekends.

I am not affluent by any means...heck I drive a 1989 Caprice Classic for crying out loud. I am sure that both vamaggie and Mickey91 drive a better car than I do.

With that off my chest. Yes, I did get a good airfare and I am able to get down there for 3 days. My work schedule won't allow for more than that. Most of the time we drive down.

I have AP's because my family lives down there... so I do drive there fairly often. If I am there I go to Disney.

Yes, I do get frustrated when I try to make ADR's and everything is booked up. I was wanting to take my mother to Ohana's as a belated Mothers Day surprise, it is her favorite restaurant. She doesn't get out very often unless someone takes her out. I really wanted to surprise her, but after a thousand calls there is no room at the Inn...so to speak.

I agree with many of the responses...180 is too much, 90 days would be more reasonable.

I am sure the DDP helps alot of families...and for that I am glad. I just feel that with the DDP and 180 day reservations, the restaurants fill up way too fast.

Oh yeah....vamaggie....nobody like sarcasim.

I'm going to have to back-up Minnie4me about some comments that seem to be running through this topic regarding how people should feel lucky to make a spontaneous trip to WDW and not complain about not getting into specific restaurants they want. Not only are the comments off topic, but sometimes having the "luxury" of going there "on a whim" doesn't mean that you can afford to eat at the best restuarants if the options were available to you. Just because I live close enough to where I could wake up tomorrow morning and drive over doesn't mean I have the luxury of being able to afford to get in, much less eat anywhere. I save and I work two jobs to make my trips. I've even considered working a second job at Disney to get tickets for free. My reasons for disliking the DDP is becuase I don't have the option to use it since I only "go on a whim". If I could afford to stay a week or two then yes...I probably would use the DDP. But I can't afford more then a day or two (which makes all my meals OOP) therefor I probably haven't ate at a quarter of the restaurants that most people on this board has even though I've been going at least once a year for the past 20 years. My family just can't afford places like Coral Reef and Le Ceiller and I grew up on CS. I could make my ADR's 180 days out just like the rest of you but since I live so close and we only go over for a day or two, our trips aren't normally planned out like people that live 500+ miles away. To those of you who are lucky enough to be able to afford to spend two weeks (or even a week) at WDW and can take advantage of the DDP, I'm very happy for you. But please don't knock the people that "have the luxury" of "going on a whim".

Tygger7
05-28-2007, 09:05 PM
I am glad to see that someone else besides myself realizes this.

Okay, let me just say, II may not be the smartest person in the world, but I'm not that stupid. To address both comments, I HAVE figured out EXACTLY how much I save. Not only have I saved all of my dining receipts and compared them against what I paid for the dining plan, but I also priced just our room, just our tickets, a package price without the dining plan, the separate cost of the dining plan, AND the all inclusive price we paid. We don't "pig out"....to be honest, before the dining plan all we did were counter meals (because we couldn't afford anything else)...and we were starving all the time. We couldn't afford the sit-down restaurants...and couldn't afford to eat more than one meal a day, which was usually just a hamburger, potato chips, and a small drink. I guess I still don't see why you have such "sour grapes" over the dining plan...if you're close enough to be able to use Annual Passes, then why complain? If you are lucky enough to be able to get off work, pay for airfare, and spend a few days at WDW, why in the world would you are you fussing about not being able to eat at a sit down restaruant? Cripes, if I could afford go at the last minute, I'd eat counter meals and make the best of it. I guess when you have family, are on a tight budget, and have to scrimp and save for two years to take a vacation, then you get a little irritated to hear people complain about dinner reservations.

kadesha
05-28-2007, 09:12 PM
I find it very irritating that so many "locals" hate the dining plan. I scratch and save to be able to visit once a year, and the dining plan saves us money. There is no way we'd have been able to pay out of pocket for all of the wonderful meals we had last week. We had excellent service everywhere we ate! The dining plan is wonderful.

illini
05-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Meeeowwww. I'm half afraid to post to this one.

I see both sides. We used the DDP in april 2005 shortly after it started. It worked well, though at that time we still encountered many who didn't even know what it was. I can't comment on how the food has changed because that was the last time we were there. It's a great value, though, and we're using it for our next trip.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, I agree with the OP. 3 days into my 180 and I was getting odd times when I tried to change my dining plans. 9pm dinner (heaven for me, not for me with my kids). C'mon! Something has got to give. It's making it exceedingly difficult to plan meals. I'm still not sure where I'm going to be on what day, but I'm pretty much stuck with my meals and I'm well over 5 months away.

And yet another but. The fact is, Disney's goal is to fill its restaurants. So, the DDP is working. It's not going anywhere, except maybe up in price.

crazeedizneefinatic
05-28-2007, 11:03 PM
I agree with other posters that say the DDP has no effect. People will make ADR's wether they are on the plan or not. This is the first year we are doing the plan. Even though people say you save I probably would not buy the plan anyway. We are getting it free in September. Cannot beat free. We do not typically eat a sit down dinner when in Disney. Maybe 1 or 2 character meals for my son during our stay but other than that no. It's breakfast around 10:00a.m. and we don't eat again till 5 or 6 and usually something quick and a snack in between somewhere. We are not big eaters. If the plan was not free in September we would not be eating at sit down places. I thought it ludacris to make dinner reservations so far in advance, but it was necessary, I glad I took others advice.

Genie1953
05-28-2007, 11:41 PM
I wish they would revise the rules for the DDP. It would be really great it if they allowed you to substitute a counter service for a table service occasionally...especially helpful if you were unable to find an ADR for a table service restaurant.

rnin02
05-28-2007, 11:52 PM
If I not mistaken (and I may be!) you can redeem a CS for a TS, but you have to use 2 CS for 1 TS. I know it works in reverse, that you can use 1 CS for more than one snack. Our last day last year we loaded up on bottled drinks and snacks before heading to MCO, it was fun. I love the DDP, I hate making ADRs 180 days in advance. I hate making them 90 days in advance. I hate making them more than 1 or 2 days in advance...so for the majority of our meals, we chance it and try walking up, or calling in the morning before we leave to go to the parks. We've never had problems with this...except sometimes eating dinner at 5pm, lunch at 2pm, things like that. For important meals, that I really, really want, I will make ADRs, but I'm flexible with times/days when I call. Maybe going in September makes a big difference in being able to walk up?

Genie1953
05-28-2007, 11:53 PM
I forgot to mention that this would be especially helpful in freeing up ADR's. I can't say that I would substitute a counter service for a table service if I had paid for the DDP but if I got it free as I did on our last trip I would definitely substitute occassionally.We did ask about doing this but were told...no...didn't make any sense to me as Disney would have saved money by allowing us to substitute a counter service for a table service....go figure...!

Seasonscraps
05-28-2007, 11:54 PM
I wish they would revise the rules for the DDP. It would be really great it if they allowed you to substitute a counter service for a table service occasionally...especially helpful if you were unable to find an ADR for a table service restaurant.

Last year during the free dining period, Disney did offer a trade similar to this. I don't remember the details but I want to say you got a CS, a snack and a something else tangible in exchange for a TS credit.

And I found this from a thread last year...

Yes, you can. I've done it once before, and my parents have done it once before.

When my parents tried to, they were informed that they would have to have it changed on their card at their hotel. Luckily, they were at their hotel, so it worked out.

My fiance and I were able to do it at a counter service location in the MK, where we were purchasing our food.
The cast member thought we were nuts, but they did it. haha

Genie1953
05-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Gosh...I am soooooo glad to hear that they are allowing the substitution now! This is great! There were times that we wanted to but like I said...we asked and were told no...but that was back in Sept/Oct 2005.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-29-2007, 12:00 AM
People will make ADR's wether they are on the plan or not.

Some will, some won't. We only made one ADR for our upcoming trip so that our DD can have dinner with the Princesses at Akershus. We knew that if we did not make it at 180 out we would not get it. We are not on the DP at this point. If we can budget and add it before our trip we will, but we know that by that time there will be no TS available, so what's the point? Especially since we are there during FD.

There are lots of people that would love to be able to walk up and get seated for dinner once they are at the parks. With the DP (more so FD) that will very rarely happen. I don't mean literally walk up. I mean if I go to my local TGIFriday's on a Saturday night I am looking at a 30 minute wait or so. I give them my name and get comfortable. That option in WDW would be great for some people.

I know that the DP is a great deal for a lot of people. Free dining even better. I don't think they should get rid of it, I just wish we didn't have to book a dinner reservation 6 months before a vacation. I don't know what I am having for dinner 6 days from now!! ;)

PirateLover
05-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Very Interesting thread.

I have used DDP 2x now. Both times it was thoroughly researched and debated on with the help of my magical journey's rep, and it was clear both times that DDP was indeed the better deal. Especially on our last trip, with 6 adults... to imply that we are all being duped into spending more money is faulty. I concede that for some situations, depending on who is going, what their eating habits are, and what other discounts are available, DDP might not always be the way to go. But I can say with all certainty that we DID save money with it on both our trips.

And, we did not "pig out." We ate until we were full. I think we may have had 1 CS meal left over this last time around. Those of you who are concerned about my indulgence :eat: and and my health will be happy to know that I actually lost 5lbs on this trip, as did my boyfriend. :bow:

rnin02
05-29-2007, 12:23 AM

I think I read this backwards earlier and that's how I responded. I have a vague memory last year that you could trade in a TS for a CS and something "tangible" like another poster said. I can't remember details. For us, that wasn't an issue, as we tried to find a couple signature dining places to use up our TS, we had extra CS and maybe a snack or 2 left over as well.

Minnie4me
05-29-2007, 06:16 AM
I guess I still don't see why you have such "sour grapes" over the dining plan...if you're close enough to be able to use Annual Passes, then why complain? If you are lucky enough to be able to get off work, pay for airfare, and spend a few days at WDW, why in the world would you are you fussing about not being able to eat at a sit down restaruant? Cripes, if I could afford go at the last minute, I'd eat counter meals and make the best of it. I guess when you have family, are on a tight budget, and have to scrimp and save for two years to take a vacation, then you get a little irritated to hear people complain about dinner reservations.

I Guess Tygger7 didn't see my previous post #58.

By the way...I don't live that close, my family does. I live in Virginia.

Minnie4me
05-29-2007, 06:18 AM
I'm going to have to back-up Minnie4me about some comments that seem to be running through this topic regarding how people should feel lucky to make a spontaneous trip to WDW and not complain about not getting into specific restaurants they want. Not only are the comments off topic, but sometimes having the "luxury" of going there "on a whim" doesn't mean that you can afford to eat at the best restuarants if the options were available to you. Just because I live close enough to where I could wake up tomorrow morning and drive over doesn't mean I have the luxury of being able to afford to get in, much less eat anywhere. I save and I work two jobs to make my trips. I've even considered working a second job at Disney to get tickets for free. My reasons for disliking the DDP is becuase I don't have the option to use it since I only "go on a whim". If I could afford to stay a week or two then yes...I probably would use the DDP. But I can't afford more then a day or two (which makes all my meals OOP) therefor I probably haven't ate at a quarter of the restaurants that most people on this board has even though I've been going at least once a year for the past 20 years. My family just can't afford places like Coral Reef and Le Ceiller and I grew up on CS. I could make my ADR's 180 days out just like the rest of you but since I live so close and we only go over for a day or two, our trips aren't normally planned out like people that live 500+ miles away. To those of you who are lucky enough to be able to afford to spend two weeks (or even a week) at WDW and can take advantage of the DDP, I'm very happy for you. But please don't knock the people that "have the luxury" of "going on a whim".

Thank you for your support and understanding!!:mickey:

BritCody
05-29-2007, 07:00 AM
I have to disagree. I like the fact that it saves you money, but the main reason I like it is that it forces me to make all of the ADR for the TS Credits. What do I mean by that, well now I'm guaranteed a nice relaxing table at a restuarant without the hassle of trying to find a table. I can plan around my ADR and not waste time that can be spent in the park. I know CS is different but how many times have you and your family had trouble finding a table at a counter service restaurant. We usually split up and half of the group looks for a table while the other half gets the food and sometimes we are still battling to find a table. I just like the fact that I know at least one of my meals in the park, I will be able to relax and enjoy. Plus saving $$$ is always a bonus.

big blue and hairy
05-29-2007, 08:49 AM
I completely disagree....

1. Just because you live close enough to "go on a whim" doesn't mean you can never plan a WDW vacation. (I know this doesn't apply to Minnie4me)

2. This is the first time I've ever used DDP and I've always called early to make my ADR's.

3. This trip (in July!) I've called back and changed my ADR's several times and I've yet to run into a probelm getting the time and restaurant I want.

4. It seems the majority of people who use it, love it, so....

:sulley:

SurferStitch
05-29-2007, 09:56 AM

Actually, in our case, you couldn't be more wrong.

I did an apples to apples comparison in Excel. I compared a reduced rate room at Pop (via Disney discounts or AAA), and paying OOP for everything we ate to a DDP package. We didn't change our dining habits AT ALL on the DDP. We still ate at signature restaurants, and got appetizer/main course/dessert like we always did before we used DDP. It's just me and DH, and on an 11 day trip, we saved over $800 using the DDP.

This took into account that we paid more for our room at Pop. We also still had to pay for some TS meals (4), CS meals (2) and snacks (about 6) OOP, plus all of our alcohol (we have wine/beer/mixed drinks with every dinner and some lunches, too). After I crunched everything 4 times over in Excel (just to make sure it was correct), we came out to an $824 savings overall using the DDP.

So, while some don't save much, especially those staying at a mod or deluxe (where you actually can lose some money on the DDP), and some don't save much because of their dining choices, we saved a ton, and will be using the DDP on our next trip in December.

I really wish they would go back to the 90 day window, though. With our trip starting on 12/6, and the potential delay in December park hours being published, it's highly possible I'll only have a couple days to hammer out all of our dining.

irish1967
05-29-2007, 11:35 AM
I think that like everything else at Disney World - the "dining system" benefits those who first take the time to learn the system and second take the time to work the system (by this I mean, the way it is designed, not finding loopholes or cheating the system.)

Something I do think might help is a penalty for no shows. I get the impression that a lot of people make ADRs without really intending to utilize them or don't bother to cancel them if something else comes up. Obviously, it is a system that would have to be worked out (what happens to people who miss an ADR for a valid reason, for example.)

I'm not sure if the situation is really as bad as you think it is - although I cannot comment on Free Dining times since we only go during the summer.

We are going down in a couple of weeks.

Two weeks ago (35 days out) I was able to make an ADR for 4 of us at Chef Mickeys for breakfast.

My sister-in-law as able to make a ADR for 25 (yes that is twenty-five) somewhere in EPCOT for dinner one night (Alfredo's, maybe?)

Neither meal is during prime-time mealtime, but neither meal is at an outrageous time either (breakfast is at 7:00 a.m. and dinner is at 4:30 pm.)

lightyearfan
05-29-2007, 01:12 PM
well this will be the first year that we've done the DDP, and we already love it simply because it's going to save close to $300! Yup that's right $300, and now it's just me and dw. we eat 3 meals a day while at WDW, as normally we would only eat 2 while at home, so with that in mind, here is a little breakout of expenses

breakfest everyday $20 x 7 days =$140
lunch everyday $20 x 7 days= $140
dinner (TS) $75 x7 days= $525
not incuding drinks and snacks the grand total is $805 and the DDP came out to $550

now we feel that WDW has terrific TS resturants, so we look forward to the nice TS meals, as apposed to the same cs meals. in previous years we still made our ADR's 3 months ahead of time even without the DDP, because we have our intenary well planned out so we know on each day which park will be in and where we want to eat. now for the spur of the moment guy and gal, you know at least you have that option to go sour of the moment, if we wanted to go spur of the moment the airfair alone would be $456,because we already tried to arrange something for an extended weekend

Victor

lightyearfan
05-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Without a doubt it's gotten harder to get an ADR and get into a sitdown restaurant "on the fly" than before DDP started....no one can argue that.[/QUOTE]

well im not sure about that comment, back in 95 it was our first ever trip to WDW and we were as green as green could be on how too's of WDW, so we didn't make any reservations, waited on long lines simply not knowing what to attack first and so on, if my memory serves me right the DDP wasn't around in 95, and we were only able to get into Alfredo's for dinner and Mexico simply because we hung around waiting to see if people didnt come up as there names were called, this happend at both places so we were lucky enough to get a seat. for some reason this is a real messy subject , lets keep in mind that were in the most magical place in the world(imho), so lets just enjoy that!

Victor :mickey:

Marker
05-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Gosh, such hostility. And all from discussions of a place that's suppose to bring happiness. Kind of sad.

Personally, I don't think it would be a very wise business decision to discontinue a program that results in the restaurants being fuller.

It appears to me, and this us just my opinion, that if summarized, the biggest complaint about the DDP is "I can't have my way as easily".

Yes, it does seem as though the restaurants are fuller, that's a good thing for the business. Yes, it is more difficult to get ADRs if you don't plan ahead, but that's no surprise, just plan ahead. Yes, it does make it more difficult for last minute trips, and for people who haven't planned, and for people who change their mind.... but again, that's no surprise, it's just the way it is.

If you don't plan ahead, or if you make a last minute trip, it may be more difficult to get a room at the resort you want too; and it may be more difficult to get he flight times you want. It's just part of the deal. You wouldn't (at least I wouldn't) expect the resort to save rooms just in case I decided I might show up; or an airline to save me a seat just in case.

As for the comments on DDP causing reduce menu options. I still fail to associate the resaurants being busier to cutting back on menu uniqueness, and selection. I would much more suspect it to just be economic realities and efforts to cut costs. Perhaps without the DDP, and the restaurants being fuller, they might have been forced to make even deeper cuts in the menus.

But that's just my opinion.

Disneyfirsttimer
05-29-2007, 02:23 PM
We are a family of 6 that live in Michigan, go every year for two weeks and have never done the dining plan. I just don't like the idea of paying with meal tickets. I can understand how it is beneficial for some families, but I prefer the freedom of paying out of pocket with no restrictions of what I can and can't eat. I do think that it is a positive factor for the greater good, just not for us. :mickey:

I am not really clear on this. It is not meal tickets. It is the ability to enjoy a TS meal at over 100 restaurants (which includes an appetizer, entree, dessert and soft drinks + tax and gratuity). Plus a CS meal and snack. There are really no limitations that we noticed. You can pretty much order anything off the menu. Nothing is off limits. Even if the cost came out equal (no savings), we like it b/c it is paid for in advance. The cost for my kids is $11/day. I would definitely spend more than that for a snack, CS lunch and TS dinner (even at kid's menu prices). We see it as a win win for everyone.

Karyn

SignguyTom
05-29-2007, 02:54 PM
What is the possibility that Disney would 'overbook' their TS restaurants because of the dining plan? I will be making our ADRs well in advance and don't forsee a problem with getting our desired locations/times, but if somebody books a MYW package with the DDP 2 or 3 weeks out, what happens if availability at the TS restaurants is so low that they cannot use all of their TS meals? Does Disney track this in some way? Are they absolutely sure that there is enough to go around? :confused:

Dreamin_of_Disney247
05-29-2007, 03:39 PM
My family and I go to WDW every year and we always use the DDP. It is a great perk for staying at their resorts instead of off site.I cannot tell you the money we have saved over the last 4 years. I personally think that disney should offer more perks for people who pay outlandish prices for their resorts, such as the fast pass being for WDW resort guests only.More and more families are opting to stay off site because other than transportation, there is not many benefits to staying on site. I personally would never stay off site because I am financially able to stay where I want but for large families its the only way they get to experience WDW. My trip is in 2 1/2 weeks on June 16th and I just called today for my ressies and got everything I wanted Cinderella's castle dinner, Hollywood Brown Derby fantasmic package, Whispering canyon, Ohana's character breakfast ,Victoria and Alberts , Kona cafe and Liberty Tree Tavern. I have never had any trouble getting ressies for any restaurant. :mickey:

pshokie
05-30-2007, 10:45 AM
If you don't plan ahead, or if you make a last minute trip, it may be more difficult to get a room at the resort you want too; and it may be more difficult to get he flight times you want. It's just part of the deal. You wouldn't (at least I wouldn't) expect the resort to save rooms just in case I decided I might show up; or an airline to save me a seat just in case.

Since this thread started several days ago, this has always bugged me and I could never quite get words around it. Thanks for "moving the context" a little bit and putting it in simple terms.

No business saves room "just in case".

I think saving 10-15% tables for same-days/walk-ups is a good theoretical idea. But if you actually walk through the motions of how would it work?, it falls apart pretty quickly, IMO.

For simple math, 100 tables per restaurant. 3 "seating"; 5, 7, and 9 o'clock. That is 300 tables a night. 30 to 45 of which are held for walk-ups.

It would start out "nice". I can get a table I want at LeCellier (High Demand) or Concourse Steakhouse (Moderate Demand) as a walkup. But once word gets out that you can do walk ups for 1 of maybe 45 tables for a particular evening, people will begin to make a point to get to LeCellier well in advance of their desired time. So they line up earlier (say 30 minutes), which causes some one else to realize that they need to be earlier next time (say 45 minutes), and so on and so on.....

It is this same mentality that has forced ADRs from being made a few weeks out, to 90 days out, then 120, and finally to 180 days out for not just the high demand TSs, but for all.

And the worst part for Disney? People would be standing in line waiting for a table, rather than moving about the parks (potential lost $$).

There are other aspects as well, such as the increase in "no shows" when some group decides to do a walk up at another TS other than their ADR location. Say you walk up to LeCellier, but you had Concourse. You are never gonna make it from LeCellier to Concourse once you find out you did not get LeCellier. So Concourse now has two potential problems: empty walk-up tables they must fill, and now no shows they need to fill. Its just bad business.

And since you lost out on both, you are now back to square one: a CS meal. ummmm...burgers & chicken fingers....

LibertyTreeGal
05-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Since this thread started several days ago, this has always bugged me and I could never quite get words around it. Thanks for "moving the context" a little bit and putting it in simple terms.

No business saves room "just in case".....

I won't quote everything, but I agree. One thing that bothered me about the whole "save spaces for walkups" thing was that although it seemed consumer oriented, it really wasn't. If a consumer wants to make a reservation and there are tables available, then the consumer should be able to book that table. period. And it would cause considerable congestion with walkups flowing in and out of the lobby endlessly, looking for somewhere they can get served. In the case of WDW, the consumers, by and large, make advance ressies, and those are the people they have to cater to. As Lord Beckett pointed out, "It's just good business..." ;)

Mackflava99
05-30-2007, 11:17 AM
First off, I have only done it once ( my last trip) but I want to say the DDp is tremendous and I definitely save $$. Its a wonderful plan that makes it easier to budget my $$ on the trip because its a fixed price. Many times before i tried to "budget" our food money and i overexceeded it and came home to the bills.
This way I can put the money aside and its done. ( i actually pay when i arrive so i don't have to worry.) I really don't see a negative. I have gotten to experience a ton of great restaurants that i wouldn't have previously.

As for ADR - I do agree with the 180 days being excessive, but in reality, i just made a change to my trip in June and was able to get a reservation for something fairly easy. Its only a few places that get booked early, but if you really want to do it, then you have to plan. I just guess i am a planner , because i actually enjoy mapping out where we are dining etc- we don't plan the details out much more than - Monday we go to Epcot- we eat at Canada at 6pm- Everyone just show up there... but that makes it easy because we don't have to wait, there is no confuscion. ADR is good- going back to 90 days would be terrific.

Overall- its a vacation, anything to make a vacation easier is good. Pre-planning may be a pain at first, but it makes it much easier later on.

conorsmom2000
05-30-2007, 11:41 AM
:cop: Moderator Note :cop:

Hi everyone -

While we know everyone has very strong feelings on this topic, posts are starting to get personal and so the Dining Mod's feel that this thread has run it's course and will now be closed.

Thank you!! :mickey: