PDA

View Full Version : the official POTC 3 is AWESOME thread

varcity
05-25-2007, 03:51 AM
Just thought I would voice my opinion of the movie here. Figured once people started seeing the movie they could respond as well! :mickey:

LittleDragonErin
05-25-2007, 04:04 AM
1st one rocked!

2nd one was a worthwhile sequel.

3rd kept me entertained.

Sadly the 3rd movie brought down my appreciation for the 2nd movie because some loose ends weren't tied up as nicely as others. And at the end of the 3rd, there's a few loose ends still left hanging. Don't get me wrong, I was on the edge of my seat throughout the movie, but it unfortunately didn't surpass the 2nd or 1st movies.

I loved all the nods to the ride...missed that from the 2nd movie. There were a couple lines from Barbossa that I think many in my audience didn't realize come exactly from the ride.

I wished there was more ship battling. I was expecting to see what we do on VMK brought to life on screen. Hahaha!!!

And doesn't Jack's dad look an awful lot like Blackheart?! O_o

BTW, for those that have seen the movie, The Empress is a cool name for Chow Yun Fat's ship. However, I never heard it mentioned. Did I miss them say it's name somewhere?

offero
05-25-2007, 08:10 AM
I saw it last night with a bunch of friends. We were all split on our feelings. Some loved it, some thought it was ok and some were disappointed. My feelings, the movie was OK at best (I will try to post without giving anything away). First and foremost, TOO MUCH Elizabeth. Everyone in our party, even those who loved the movie, was either sick of her half way through the movie or wanted badly to see her get offed in a fight scene. There were other things that I felt took away from it, but again I don’t want to give anything away, so I should hold my tongue until more people have seen it.

I did like the fact that this one had more references to the ride. And I do agree that Jack’s father looked like Blackheart.

One humorous note about the film, and I guess it does somewhat relate to the second one as well. At times I felt like I was watching an episode of the original Star Trek Series. Almost every time a main crew member/character takes off, or go into a fight with some unknown extra/deckhand helping them. You know that the poor guy (the extra/deckhand) is never coming back. It was just like watching the poor red shirt privates on Star Trek land on a planet with Kirk and Friends.

varcity
05-25-2007, 01:28 PM
seems like the first the focused on Jack, the second one Will, and this one on Elizabeth. I didn't find Elizabeth to be bothersome to an annoying point, just once in a while she would say some cheesy line which I never really like in movies (hence why I won't see Spiderman 3 in theaters).

I do love the ride references. Actually, I think it's why my feelings for Barbossa turned and I started to make him my second favorite :mickey:

They did leave open room for a fourth, I think. But I also think it would be a bad idea. I can explain why when more people see the movie.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-25-2007, 08:22 PM
I WAS WAITING FOR ONE OF YOU GUYS TO BRING THIS UP! ^_^ I can't say how much I am excited for this movie. During the start of school today my friend burst in class and yelled, "Oh my gosh, Pirates 3 is awesome!" And did I tell you that I screamed a lot when I watched the movie trailer? I can be a little over obsessive...

There are so many interesting characters, it seems from the trailer, that appear in the movie. I've also read an article and reviews about it. I didn't like Pirates 2 as much as 1. In #1 they had great acting and a good storyline. I hope #3 is as good or better :cloud9:

MonkeyBoyJoe
05-26-2007, 03:02 AM
I am sorry to say I was quite disappointed. Mostly for one reason. Let's just say I'm a Chow Yun Fat fan since his early Hong Kong film days and for those who have seen the movie, you know why I'm disappointed.

Secondly, I read an article where the Pirate fleet and British armada have an epic final confrontation. I was expeciting something to blow the final scene of Cutthroate Island out of the water. But all those trailer clips of that final scene are so misleading.

Johnny Depp really is the saving grace of the movie. When he's on screen, the movie is captivating and funny. WHen he's not, I'm usually hoping somebody will stab Turner or Swan already and save us from unecessary whining. :P

I'll zip it now before I actually give away some real information.

Oh yeah, and all Jack's dad needs is the eye patch and he'll be Blackheart.

Oh and I loved the ride dialogue thrown in there too! Especially loved the waterfall/drop nod. Hahaha! That was genius. Too bad that dialogue is now different on the ride. Which is why kids of this generation probably won't get that reference. :(

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Now that I've watched it, the trailer included the few parts of the movie that made it exciting. Special effects were great. Sparrow was hilarious.

But the two things that really turned me off was Calypso and the characters that died. Basically all the villains and non-main characters from the other movies were killed off, save a few. That was really disappointing. I would've liked a few of the villains to survive. The second is when Tia Dalma was released from her human form and turned into this gigantic thing. Then turned to crabs. At the crabs part my friend and I were laughing so hard, but that was because it was a really bad part to the movie. And the storyline was all scrunched up and confusing. They didn't really explain properly during the movie, and I still don't get some parts. I guess I'll have to buy the movie and watch it over and over again until I understand :P

WDWfanatic742
05-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Just came back from seeing the movie and I think that this movie is second behind the first and ahead of the second (Nothing beats the first in any trilogy).

:spoiler:

Yeah the part with Tia Dalma becoming huge was the only part that was confusing to me. The Maelstrom scene was really nicely done and the best finale to a movie that I have seen in awhile (Was that or the Dutchman and Pearl teaming up to defeat the Navy ship the finale?).

The way that the movie ended, it set up easily another trilogy if they wanted to make another one. It almost sets it up right back to the first movie. It looks like that there will at least be a fourth movie. Going to see this movie again as soon as my mom can get out of the house and able to climb stairs. You have to stay to through the credits to the ending.

BTW guys, you can all discuss the movie. If you have any spoilers about it though, make sure you put your text in white like what I did up there. That helps to not destroy the movie for everyone who hasn't seen it.

WDWfanatic742
05-28-2007, 04:49 PM
BTW, by looking at a couple of forums that the writers for the movie posted on, there were about 20 minutes of material that they had to delete out of the theater release because they had to shorten it. Hopefully they decide to add those scenes onto the DVD version.

:spoiler: MUST-READ if you have seen the movie:

One scene cut explained that if Calypso had greeted Davy Jones after his ten years of ferrying dead souls, then he would have been freed of his duty: in turn, Will is freed of his captaincy as Elizabeth remains faithful to him ten years later.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-29-2007, 01:04 AM
I guess that explains a lot. Thanks fan :)

WDWfanatic742
05-29-2007, 01:15 AM
Here is the other Pirates - AWE thread in the movies section:

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End Discussion (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=104455)