PDA

View Full Version : disappointed with Fantasmic?

septembergirl
05-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Seats were not very good. Waited so long. Fighting the crowds on the way out. Felt like it wasn't worth all those cons.

Question #1 Has anyone else been disappointed with Fantasmic?
Question #2 Will we have a better experience during a less crowded season?
Question #3 Is it worth another try?

JPL
05-25-2007, 12:38 AM
They definately could handle the crowds a little better especially when exiting. The seats really only make a small difference IMHO. I usually get the Dinner Package when I plan to attend. I think it is definately more manageable during the slower times of year but remember there is only one showing at that time so it can also be very crowded depending on the night.

I am more disappointed in the actual show after first seeing the Disneyland which IMHO is much better and more magical than the WDW version.

septembergirl
05-25-2007, 12:47 AM
I think it is definately more manageable during the slower times of year but remember there is only one showing at that time so it can also be very crowded depending on the night.

What is a good night? We are going down this Sept. from Wed. - Mon.

January-2007
05-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Yeah I'm not a fan. Saw it several years ago and didn't like it. What's up with villans being popular? I'm not into that. :confused:

crazypoohbear
05-25-2007, 03:01 AM
I like the show itself.
I don't like having to wait in line to get in like cattle being led to the slaughter.
Also, the exit leaves something to be desired.
There really should be a better way to exit.
And speaking of exit they should have more buses waiting outside. They know there is going to be a mass exodus.

mrsgaribaldi
05-25-2007, 06:31 AM
I saw it 3 times and loved it each time, sorry:mickey:

scooterca42
05-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Slap me under the "meh" column. I agree that the California one is head and shoulders above it - but it's also shorter and being where it is there's more of a sense of immediacy to it, if you get what I mean.

We saw it with excellent seats and no real problem getting out, but it's not on our plan to see again. Frankly, I think it's a bit long and rambling.

Although I loved the dragon! That was a real piece of work, and it's what we took out of our vid to put in the highlights.

Christine
05-25-2007, 08:48 AM
I am sorry you were disappointed. I absolutely LOVE Fantasmic! I generally see it 2-3 times a trip, and I get teary eyed every time! I don't find the crowd issue to be anything different from Main Street before/after Wishes and Spectro.

As for your questions:

Question #1 Has anyone else been disappointed with Fantasmic? No
Question #2 Will we have a better experience during a less crowded season? I have always seen Fantasmic become a full house. If there are two showings, hit the second one!
Question #3 Is it worth another try? Definitely!

If you don't want to wait, I would definitely recommend the dining package.

As for exiting, let the marathoners get out first, and leisurely stroll out. Hit the candy store on the way out. What's the rush?:thumbsup:

TheMartellFamily
05-25-2007, 09:12 AM
I felt it was very dark and somewhat scary for my 3 year old and he was nervous when he saw it. It is not my favorite out of all the shows. It was the first time I saw it in October with a group of us. We did the Fantasmic dinner package to get garanteed seats so we did not have to wait. This is an option not to wait. When we exited we waited until it cleared out a bit and made the exit that much easier. Also that night was EMH so there was no real hurry to get out of there the park was open until 12a.

conorsmom2000
05-25-2007, 09:33 AM
As for exiting, let the marathoners get out first, and leisurely stroll out. Hit the candy store on the way out. What's the rush?:thumbsup:
That's exactly what we did! :mickey: We let the mad rush go first - people were just crazy, running up the bleachers, etc. So, we let them all go then got up and strolled around a bit, then hit the bus line.

To be honest, we loved it! We also did the dinner package and had great seats, right on the end. :thumbsup:

katzctkpt
05-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Awesome show. The 1st yr we went to WD we opted not to watch Fantasmic. What a mistake. We have done it the last 2 yrs and have set in the exact location both times 5 rows from the bottom 2/3 sections from the right of the set. My kids love the show and the mist from the water feels good on those balmy nights. Yes the wait is long & hot and the exit do what some of the others say just sit & wait til the crowd clears out a little then exit.

Mickey'sGirl
05-25-2007, 09:43 AM
That's exactly what we did! :mickey: We let the mad rush go first - people were just crazy, running up the bleachers, etc. So, we let them all go then got up and strolled around a bit, then hit the bus line.

To be honest, we loved it! We also did the dinner package and had great seats, right on the end. :thumbsup:
So did we....We had a terrific meal at H&V, then went to our reserved seats about 30 minutes before the show started.....It was terrific, and our boys REALLLLLLY liked the show! :thumbsup:

TheFoo
05-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Fantasmic is generally one of our "must dos" every trip...here's how we do it.

1) Dinner and a Show package. Worth it, just to avoid the line/wait.

2) Arrive early, bring a book. Wife and I sit and relax while waiting for the show. (We do that for Illuminations too, by the way, so if you see a couple of geeks hanging around between Italy and Germany at 8:00 or so and reading, its probably us. :blush:

3) Take our time leaving...so what if we miss the first bus or two...there will be another one shortly, and it won't be full of all the lunatics who just stampeded out of the theater.

:mickey:

Ian
05-25-2007, 10:18 AM
I hate it. I can't for the life of me fathom what makes the show so popular. I find it dull, uninspiring, uncomfortable, long ....

Who wants to wait three hours to sit on a hard metal bench and watch movies you've already seen being projected on spraying water making them hard to see???

Terrible ... I haven't wasted a minute of my life in this show in years. I completely agree.

Scar
05-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Question #1 Has anyone else been disappointed with Fantasmic?Yes.

Question #2 Will we have a better experience during a less crowded season?Crowd wise, possibly. But the show won't be any better.
Question #3 Is it worth another try?Not in my opinion. I've seen it twice, which was once to many.

dolphinmickey9170
05-25-2007, 10:38 AM
I really like Fantasmic, but it has both pros and cons with me. I love the dining package so you dont have to wait in the wall to wall crowd to get a seat. If the wind is blowing hard enought though, you will get wet. This just happened to us two weeks ago. The wind was really flying and sitting in the dining package section got us a cold shower for the entire show. Made it very hard to see. Once the show is over, we let the crowds disperse before we try to head out. What' the hurry in getting out of there, you are only going to stand in line waiting for your resort bus anyway. Take your time, walk around, enjoy the sites. My only other con is the hard seating with no backs. We do get there early and by the time we leave, we are aching. But, I still love the show and don't miss it each time we go.

WVParkfan
05-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Has anyone else been disappointed with Fantasmic?

Ouch! Certainly not. Count me as one Disney Dad who couldn't enjoy a trip to WDW without Fantasmic!

You should definitely give it another try.

The first time we saw Wishes, it was raining, crowded, and babies were crying. It was awful, and I swore that I wouldn't go back.

Three days later, we found ourselves in front of the castle at the MK when Wishes started again. My kids made me stay and watch it again. This time was different, though. When my DD5 asked me to hold her up to see better, she gave me a kiss on the cheek and then screamed that she could see tinkerbell!!

It was magical. I had tears in my eyes when it was over, and made it a point to buy the CD soundtrack to Wishes.

My point is this: Wishes is a fantastic emotional show, and because I had one bad experience, I almost gave up on it forever. Fantasmic is just as magical and inspiring. I would certainly give it another chance because you may have a better experience and fall in love with the show.

DisneyGiant
05-25-2007, 11:01 AM
I think Fantasmic is a fantastic show!

I don't mind the crowds - we're usually with Mom who's in an ECV so we're always sitting at the top.

We do try to wait for most of the crowd to leave first - as its easier to maneuver the ECV with less people around. Though sometimes the CMs try to kick you out because they're getting ready for the next show.

vamaggie
05-25-2007, 12:44 PM
OK--really confused now. We are planning on going in Nov (with dining package) as DD(age4) really wanted to see it. Can you choose your seat or are you directed by CMs (Can we opt for end seats?) If it is too scary, wet, etc can you leave in the middle or are you stuck in your seat til the end? If we end up leaving early, can you still see any of it from the park as you walk out? DD usually konks out pretty early in the night so I am not sure if she will make it til the end. TIA!

LudwigVonDrake
05-25-2007, 12:56 PM
I saw it once, thought it was pretty good but I won't go see it again unless going with someone who hasn't seen it before :smickey:

honeybear
05-25-2007, 01:10 PM
What is a good night? We are going down this Sept. from Wed. - Mon.

I don't know exactly when in September you are going, but if it is after Labor Day, then you probably won't see too many crowds because The kids both in the North and South are back in school! So there won't be many at Disney!

I hope that helped!

BriarRose
05-25-2007, 01:13 PM
While we always make a point to see it in DL, my husband and I watched it once in WDW and were so disappointed, we have no desire to see it there again.

I think the things that we didn't like were the boats were so small compared to the Mark Twain and the Columbia. When they have the scene with Peter Pan and Captain Hook, it's just not the same as when it's done on a large sailing ship.

Also, the actual presentation area is so much smaller. Having it on the Rivers of America is so open and feels more spontaneous, like you don't know what is going to happen or where it's coming from.

Last time in DL we paid extra for a dessert buffet and were seated right next to the water. It was great.

We are going to WDW with my brother and sister in law and unless they want to see it, we have no plans to see it there.

Stu29573
05-25-2007, 01:13 PM
I really liked it, but I wouldn't wait three hours for it, now that I've seen it a couple of times. The exiting crowd situation isn't really a problem with me. I guess it's because I've always wondered where all those people think they're rushing off to.....:confused:

Disney Doll
05-25-2007, 01:25 PM
We always go in Feb when the crowds are lower. However, there is only 1 show per night in Feb so it's still crowded, but nothing like the summer. We usually get there about 45 min before and get great seats. Then, we eat a hotdog dinner from the food vendor inside the pavillion as we wait. The crowds leaving are a pain, but it has never been horrible. I would definitely recommend that you give it another go at a less crowed time of year.

Disneyfirsttimer
05-25-2007, 01:44 PM
OK--really confused now. We are planning on going in Nov (with dining package) as DD(age4) really wanted to see it. Can you choose your seat or are you directed by CMs (Can we opt for end seats?) If it is too scary, wet, etc can you leave in the middle or are you stuck in your seat til the end? If we end up leaving early, can you still see any of it from the park as you walk out? DD usually konks out pretty early in the night so I am not sure if she will make it til the end. TIA!

If you are doing the Fantasmic Dining Package, there is a seperate section for those seats. You can choose any seat in that section. When we saw it, my DS was almost 7 and my DD just 4. They loved it and were not scared in the slightest. You do not get wet at all. Also, you can leave before the show ends. You are not locked into your seats.

It will be a great time for all! Have a great trip.

Karyn

lightyearfan
05-25-2007, 01:59 PM
omg sooo many complaints about lines and waiting, c'mon folks, almost everything at WDW has huge crowds and lines, we were going to do Soarin last year and the Fastpass had ran out, so we figured no big deal its a EMH night, so we went back and it was a 3 hr wait, needless to say we still didn't get on, the only thing that i will say is that they can handle the way that we're let in a little better, but then again every seat is a good one so don't wait do the tower or even the roller coaster then when the masses are let in you can stroll in without feeling like catle, thats what we did last year and it worked out great! again every seat is a good one so even in the back is ok, plus when the show ends you'll be the first out.

now to answer these questions:
Question #1 Has anyone else been disappointed with Fantasmic? no best show that WDW has
Question #2 Will we have a better experience during a less crowded season? not really i think that the bigger crowds gives the show a better atmosphere

Question #3 Is it worth another try?
absolutley maybe it was just a bad day

Victor

lightyearfan
05-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah I'm not a fan. Saw it several years ago and didn't like it. What's up with villans being popular? I'm not into that. :confused:

ya, but isn't every single Disney dominated by Villians, to me it goes hand in hand. the show is fantastic for what it is!

Victor:smickey:

septembergirl
05-25-2007, 02:18 PM
i think that the bigger crowds gives the show a better atmosphere

I just get a little claustrophobic in huge :crowd:. Couple that with the heat and I start to get panicky - fearing we might get separated from one of the kids...
I mean I love me some Disney but I know my limitations:bolt:.
(Anybody with me on this one?)

TheRustyScupper
05-25-2007, 02:52 PM
1) We like Fantasmic.
2) We actually think it is better than Wishes and Illuminations.
. . . plot line
. . . multi-media
. . . songs and acting
. . . fireworks
. . . laser illusion on the water-wall
. . . the huge dragon unfolding

3) Yes, I agree the crowd exiting could be better.
4) But, you aren't standing, like at MK and Epcot.

Catzle
05-25-2007, 03:48 PM
I am surprised at how many people don't like the show. We just saw it last week again and went aoubt 1/2 to 45 minutes before it started got a seat about 5-10 rows up middle and had a great time. We just kinda sat back after it ended and let everyone exit. We really like the show and would see it again. I find it creative and fun to watch. I dont' find the crowds afterwards any different than wishes which I think is worse.

Stickey
05-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Fantasmic is an excellent show. The crowd/cattle flow is poor.

Fantasmic's blend of live action characters, classic Disney movie clips, and water effects is fun and entertaining. A 30-45 arrival prior to the show is usually no problem. Watching Mickey overcome the villains is definitely inspiring and is worth the hassle of the cattle run after the show.

:thumbsup::smickey:

septembergirl
05-25-2007, 04:09 PM
I dont' find the crowds afterwards any different than wishes which I think is worse.

This is a good point. I just felt like we were stuck in an isolated location whereas after Wishes you are actually in the park and can visit a shop while the crowds thin out.

Donald Duck 224
05-25-2007, 05:18 PM
I didnt realize so many people hate fantasmic. I think it is right up there with wishes and illuminations. I always enjoy it.

Septbride2002
05-25-2007, 05:37 PM
I enjoy the show but I agree I don't like waiting forever to see it and then waiting for the crowds to die down before leaving.

But to be fair I also don't like waiting for parades.

~Amanda

Squeaky Mouse
05-25-2007, 05:59 PM
The first time I saw Fantasmic I also was disappointed with it. It was the end of July, hot, humid, crowded with short-tempered guests, etc. Fortunately, I returned with my children during a Christmas visit. Cooler weather and smaller, more festive crowds = a much more enjoyable experience.

nel
05-25-2007, 07:42 PM
I think you should give it another try. The first time I see the show I was in shock, specially with Pocahontas and the Mickey ending. I remember I was very comfy in my seat. 2nd time there were too many people and it was uncomfortable. I didnt enjoy it. So do it again with a good strategy.

johnO
05-25-2007, 07:59 PM
I agree the crowds can be a pain when exiting, but it's usually just a one time per trip thing so we deal with it.

GrmGrninGost
05-25-2007, 08:05 PM
I love it! :mickey: We try to catch it each trip at least once! We always hang around after the show and let the crowds die down before we leave. Of course we also do this for Wishes and Illuminations. Makes it a lot easier than pushing and being pushed by the mass of humanity!:thumbsup:

Maleficent's Dad
05-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I know that many who have seen it at DL think it's better - I'm in the minority here, but I'll never go line up at DL again for the show. I felt it was a horrible experience. Whereas the show is superior, the standing crowds and massive "sea of humanity" at DL made it rather difficult with younger children... A rather "un-enjoyable" show there. Unless you do the reserved dessert seating, DL's show (during the crowded summer times) is very difficult to enjoy IMHO.

2) We actually think it is better than Wishes and Illuminations.
. . . plot line
. . . multi-media
. . . songs and acting
. . . fireworks
. . . laser illusion on the water-wall
. . . the huge dragon unfolding
4) But, you aren't standing, like at MK and Epcot.
Agree with these points completely!

And as for the villains...
Personally, I've never loved the villains, but DS, since he was born, has adored the "bad guys." He loves Malifecent, so Fantasmic! is his all time favorite night time event. (Note: DS is a sweet boy who is non-aggressive; he just loves the villains for some strange reason! :confused::confused:)

We love Fantasmic! and see it whenever we're down there. The dinner package is a thing of convenience (and a nice way for WDW to charge a bit more for a meal! ;)), and we take advantage of it eliminating the wait times. I wouldn't wait 3 hours for that - or any other - show down there!

septembergirl
05-25-2007, 10:02 PM
(Note: DS is a sweet boy who is non-aggressive; he just loves the villains for some strange reason! :confused::confused:)

Nothing strange about it - it's a boy thing! Disney knows it better than anyone!

Mickey91
05-25-2007, 10:32 PM
We love it! It is definitely on our to do list when we go. We always sit and wait for others to hurry out. Then we leisurely walk out and take in the sights. It's a lot better than standing in a bus line!

DisneyMP3Maker
05-25-2007, 11:51 PM
I liked the original one better. The one with Peter Pan. I'm not a fan of Pocahontas, but it is still a good show. We have to go see it 1 time during the trip, however it is not a show that I will go to from another park. If anything, I will go see Illuminations again.
But to me, Fantasmic is a great ending to a day filled with movie stuff. I mean, if you are going to spend all day around the movies, why not end it with a show revolving around some of the great ones?
As far as the crowds, we were there in January last year and it was still crowded. The place was packed. As long as you have just enough patience for the end of the day, you can make it through.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Our family loves Fantasmic! :mickey:

It is a must do every trip. I agree with the other posters about the mass exodus at the end of the show. We just hang out awhile and then walk out when it slows down a little.

My younger son loves anything to do with Villans so it is the perfect show for us. My daughter, 3, even loves it!!

ASweetLov
05-26-2007, 02:10 PM
I love fantasmic:smickey: I saw it last year and absolutely loved it, my boyfriend did too. It's something we have to see on our upcoming trip:thumbsup:

Cinderella's Lady in Waiting
05-26-2007, 02:55 PM
One of our favorites :number1:. I don't think there is a bad seat, we do the dinner package. We sit on the bleachers and let the marathoners run out....then enjoy a nice drink on a bench.... watch everyone jump on buses and stroll our way out. A nice evening will be had by all.:mickey:

Deesdisney
05-26-2007, 03:00 PM
I saw fantasmic at Disneyland when it first opened. I liked it but to me once is good. I am not into the crowds that much and I usually use this time to shop and just walk around. Plus my little one does not like loud noises. We even have a hard time with fireworks.

Jared
05-26-2007, 03:31 PM
The first time I saw Fantasmic!, I left with the same reaction. Now I've seen the show at least five or six times, and it's my favorite nighttime spectacular.

Although arriving at the Hollywood Amphitheater 45 minutes or an hour before showtime sounds ridiculous, the wait is worthwhile.

Try to see the second presentation of the night if possible.

Brooklynos
05-26-2007, 04:32 PM
We have seen the show twice so far, our first time and then when we took our in-laws for the first time. We are going with my bil and his girlfriend in Sept who have both seen it but all four of us want to see it together again. When my DH and I go on our own we normally don't see it anymore only because we've seen it and want to hit some rides while everyone is at the show. But we enjoy it everytime we do see it. The crowds don't bother us, they are just part of WDW for us.

Mickeydream
05-26-2007, 04:58 PM
We are looking forward to seeing Fantasmic for our next trip in November. We think it is a spectacular show and think it is worth the waiting time to see it. The lines don't bother us because we just let all those in a big hurry leave first. :smickey:

septembergirl
05-26-2007, 05:48 PM
we just let all those in a big hurry leave first. :smickey:

At that time of night with DD3 and trying to make it back up and at 'em for morning EMH at MK, we would be one of those in a big hurry to leave...

snifflesmcg
05-26-2007, 11:36 PM
The first time I saw Fantasmic was 2005.....I haven't missed it since. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. It's my favorite out of the nightly shows and not to mention, I get a seat instead of pavement. My BF and I plan on watching it twice while we are there. I get the dinner package and I meander to the exit so everybody can go ahead. I just hit up the shops on the way out. Also, I happen to love the villans.:malef:

Jessie
05-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Count me in as another Disneyland Fantasmic fan. I absolutely love the show there. I get misty watching it. It's so big and right there, in your face and thrilling. WDW, eh.

SheridanLedding
05-27-2007, 12:53 PM
I really think loving Fantasmic! is related to your intimate knowledge of the truly classic Disney films. In other words, you have to either be between the ages of 4 and 10 or a REALLY BIG FAN! I'm 21 and I have to stop and think which movie Maleficent is from. The first time I saw Fantasmic! it took me a few minutes just to register which character she was.

I don't want anyone thinking I'm a sub-par Disney fan, though, I love all things Disney and almost frighten people with the bits of Disney movie trivia and sheer volume of Disney lyrics I can produce. It's just been a VERY long time since I last sat down to watch Sleeping Beauty!

I feel that Fantasmic! is a very magical experience, especially bringing together so many Disney classic movies (like Fantasia, my favorite!) and definitely deserves another try! I'm the Activities and Entertainment planner for a group of 8 Notre Dame seniors headed out in October and we have a first timer, so Fantasmic! was one of the first shows on the list (Wishes, IllumiNations, and SpectroMagic were right after it!)

I hope you go back and try again, and I hope you have the same magical experience I have!

disneyfankev
05-27-2007, 12:59 PM
i still like it. do the dinner package so don't have to wait on line.nice to sit for 30 min.

MinnieMommie
05-28-2007, 05:56 AM
Try giving it another chance. This is really a great show! Try some of the entering/exiting strategies your fellow intercotees have posted. Sometimes I go in close to start time and sit in the back and get out before the rush becomes fierce. Either way the show is worth it to me.:mickey:

SleepinB
05-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Sorry Intercotees, another Disney lover that doesn't get the appeal of Fantasmic at WDW. I share much of the same feelings as WDWacky, but I knew I would be attacked for admitting disappointment. But after winning the Cinderella Castle Suite, if anyone could get away with acknowledging out loud that they felt that Fantasmic is overrated, it would be WDWacky. Even Fantasmic lovers have to admit that those monkey costumes are hokey.

Question #1 Has anyone else been disappointed with Fantasmic? As you are finding out, you are not alone.

Question #2 Will we have a better experience during a less crowded season? Our family went a few years ago during May and we were very disappointed. We couldn't believe the crowds and lines. On our subsequent trips, no one showed any interest in seeing the show again. After reading so many glowing reviews on Intercot I decided I needed to give it another try. Maybe we had been affected by the long lines, the large crowds and the long wait. I purchased the dinner package at The Brown Derby and gave Fantasmic another try. The dinner package eliminated the long lines and the long wait. It was very convenient and the seating was hassle free. Yet, I still didn't like the show. It just doesn't work for me.

Question #3 Is it worth another try? If you decide to give it another try, I strongly suggest the dinner package. It really does eliminate many of the problems associated with trying to see Fantasmic.

Keep in mind, not liking Fantasmic does not make you wrong or right. That is the beauty of WDW -- there is something for everyone. Even though Fantasmic does nothing for me, I can't get enough of Illuminations. There is something for everyone.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-28-2007, 10:52 PM
There is no doubt that Fantasmic can be a little crazy! However, we love the show, and always book a package for each trip.

For us, the extra $$ for the dinner package is well worth it. There is nothing better than being able to enter the theatre at the "last" minute, still get a decent seat, and be able to enjoy the show. I think if we'd waited for hours I would feel very differently about it.

I do like being able to sit down during the show, and like so many others, we just hang around a bit, take our time walking out, do a little shopping, and by the time we get to the resort buses, it isn't so bad. The effects are cool, I love the "Mickey's Dream" storyline too! :mickey:

All in all, it is worth seeing at least once, but if it isn't your cup of tea, there is so much to do at Disney!

denygold
05-29-2007, 03:08 PM
I enjoyed it, however our family concensus was that it was not worth the hassle. (eating dinner way early, sitting in a huge crowd for an hour waiting, fighting crowds on the way out).
I would only do it again if I could walk in 5 minutes before the show.

Momof2boys
05-29-2007, 03:32 PM
My husband took 2 viewings to enjoy it. Whereas, myself & the boys loved it from the start. We also do the dinner package so the wait isn't too long. We bring light up necklaces from home and give to the kids when we enter.

Personally, I love the story is told.