PDA

View Full Version : Mama's Melrose at MGM

Alpha Jeanie
05-24-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm trying to pick a restaurant for sit down service at MGM.

We've been to Sci-Fi diner. The kids loved the atmosphere, but the food was not good.

50's Prime Time diner looks OK, but I don't see alot that my kids would want to eat there.

How is the food at the Hollywood Brown Derby? Would it be good for kids (5 & 11)?

I am leaning towards Mama's Melrose. What do you think of the food & service there?

Thanks for all the info. We can't wait to get to the World!!!
:mickey:

Friend of Figment
05-24-2007, 11:37 PM
For a 5 year old and an 11 year old I would suggest Mamma's. The Brown Derby is my favorite WDW restaurant but it is more of a fancy, quiet sit down place. Mamma's would have more familiar (pizza/pasta) food and a livelier atmosphere.

DisneyGiant
05-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Why wouldn't your children like the Prime Time?

Our kids love it - its a must do every trip.

If Prime Time is out of the picture - I'd choose Mama Melrose over Brown Derby.

Food & service last time we were there was great. Very low key - no rushing. We enjoyed it.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-25-2007, 12:22 AM
We had a really good meal and experience at Mama's. We plan on eating there again this year.

JPL
05-25-2007, 12:34 AM
I have to ask this question how good is the Italian food by your house? If you are use to really good Italian food I would avoid all Italian food at WDW. I have yet to have anything close to good Italian anywhere in WDW. Of course being Italian and living in New York area I am spoiled. I can say the same for Chinese food at Nine Dragons. Just something to consider.

jefmblrd
05-25-2007, 05:08 AM
I recently ate at Mama Melrose as part of the Backstage Magic tour, and I wasn't impressed. The food was very average, and I wouldn't go back. I've never eaten at the Brown Derby, but I hear it's good. Unfortunatley, TS meals at MGM are not very good overall, so I normally don't book them there.

KylesMom
05-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Although we have never tried Hollywood Brown Derby, we religiously eat at Mama Melrose at least twice each trip. We've always received good service and the food has always been scrumptious. DS loves both their spaghetti and pizza, while DH and I love their flatbreads, sausage & peppers and steak. Their sangria is out of this world!:thumbsup: In fact, I'm celebrating my birthday there in two weeks!

DisneyGiant
05-27-2007, 10:31 AM
I have to ask this question how good is the Italian food by your house? If you are use to really good Italian food I would avoid all Italian food at WDW. I have yet to have anything close to good Italian anywhere in WDW. Of course being Italian and living in New York area I am spoiled. I can say the same for Chinese food at Nine Dragons. Just something to consider.

I must not be a good Italian American ;) LOL

I thought Mama Melrose's was "ok." At least on the scale of things - better than the Olive Garden!! :twocents: ;)

We are so spoiled her in the NY\NJ area with good Italian food aren't we?

One of the reasons I have never enjoyed Alfredo's........

Jared
05-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Though I appreciate your support in the recent Nine Dragons thread, Jeff, I have to disagree this time.

Your premise is correct, but I sheepishly admit to enjoying Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano. In fact, I ate there for the first time in January, then again Thursday.

The food is unspectacular, but not bad. It's a good place before Fantasmic!, especially if the Hollywood Brown Derby is too expensive or sold out.

Donald Duck 224
05-27-2007, 03:55 PM
With the kids at 5 and 11 melrose might be the best bet. However, Brown Derby is far and away the best TS resturant in MGM. The kids menu there is not too bad if your kids dont jsut want chicken fingers.

Mom2princesses
05-27-2007, 08:02 PM
I don't care for Mama Melrose. The food is so so at best and the last time we were there the service was not that great. Seems like you will get different opinions that run the spectrum on any resturant you ask about.

dyin tago
05-27-2007, 08:11 PM
hi, I guess you can get a server having a bad day anywhere,we dined at mama melrose last september and the service and food were both super!:thumbsup:

Maleficent's Dad
05-27-2007, 08:29 PM
The food at the Hollywood Brown Derby is definitely tops at MGM - excellent quality and service make it a great dining experience. My kids, now 6 & 8, always eat with us there and they enjoy it. We play games like "I Spy" using the charicatures on the walls. It's not as stimulating for kids as other places, but they welcome kids just fine, have a kids menu, they have one of those kid placemats & crayons for them as well.

Mama Melrose's is fine - not my first choice, but at MGM, it is my second. There is plenty on the menu for kids to eat, and they also treat kids warmly as it's a family friendly place. Again, it's not like Chef Mickey's or CP where there's character interaction, but both places do a fine job with kids.

:ditto: Ain't that the truth! :exactly:

Natazu
05-28-2007, 05:23 AM
How is the food at the Hollywood Brown Derby? Would it be good for kids (5 & 11)?The food is excellent, well above the level of anything else at MGM, or any park for that matter.

I am leaning towards Mama's Melrose. What do you think of the food & service there?It is better than Olive Garden, mostly.

Mickey'sGirl
05-28-2007, 10:51 AM
None of us enjoyed the food at Mamma Melrose's on the only occasion we have dined there.....and though I have never eaten at the Brown Derby -- it would be my choice. Your kids are old enough I would think.

BTW -- we ate at Hollywood and Vine for the first time in April and really enjoyed it. Some food for thought.... :thumbsup:

spring
05-28-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm trying to pick a restaurant for sit down service at MGM.

We've been to Sci-Fi diner. The kids loved the atmosphere, but the food was not good.

50's Prime Time diner looks OK, but I don't see alot that my kids would want to eat there.

How is the food at the Hollywood Brown Derby? Would it be good for kids (5 & 11)?

I am leaning towards Mama's Melrose. What do you think of the food & service there?

Thanks for all the info. We can't wait to get to the World!!!
:mickey:

Mama Melrose's is great, both service and food, we went on the Fantasmic package.

DawsonAR
05-30-2007, 01:28 PM
I thought MM was good but the Brown Derby was excellent. My kids, 6 and 8, loved it too.

disneynorth
05-30-2007, 04:35 PM
I highly recommend Prime Time. The food is really good there and the atmosphere is 1 of a kind. I've eaten there twice and I was hoping my wife wanted to go back, but she wants to try something different...

Bethanymouse
05-30-2007, 05:53 PM

I think I would have to agree. I live in Jersey and I am Italian- the food around here is delicious, I have found it hard to get that same great food in disney with regards to Italian food. We were thinking of trying Mama's again this next trip, we havent been there in a few years but I am not sure that it will pan out. We did not like the Brown Derby at all last summer and we will not be returning. However, we are going to go back to the PrimeTime Cafe. The food is mediocore but the atmosphere is so much fun. I bet your kids would love that! Enjoy!

stitchbaam
05-30-2007, 09:40 PM
We loved Mama Melrose's the last time we were there (Last June)....Everything from the Salad to the Breads to the Entrees were great....I would highly recommend MM....