PDA

View Full Version : What at the parks made your first trip truly magical? (ideas for a WDW newbie)

ojeilatan
05-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Hey everybody!

I'm and 18 year old girl from Wyoming. I've taken four trips to Disneyland with my family over the years, and adored every second.After our first trip, my mom told me about she and my dad's trip to Disney World before I was born, and promised me that we could go when I graduated high school. Well, the time has finally arrived! On June 1st, we are flying to Florida to beigin our 8 day vacation. I have been reading everything about WDW I can get my hands on, and reading trip reports here and on other sites. I will be with my mom, dad, and 16 year old sister. This trip is a dream come true for all of us. :cloud9:

What I was wondering was, what at the parks gave your first trip to WDW that little extra bit of Dsney magic? I'd love to hear some stories, to maybe get some ideas of what to look for and do at the parks with my family.

Thanks everyone! (sorry for the long post as well :oops:)

k_reile
05-24-2007, 03:41 PM
well mine was when I was 10 and I got to meet and get autographs from the characters. I thought that was cool!

pshokie
05-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Biggest thing, stop and take in the sights and sounds. That is where the magic is IMHO. Taking your time to enjoy the little things can really add some magic (in fact there is a "little things" thread from a few days ago that you should read).

Have a great trip!

Stu29573
05-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Well, I was going to say just about the whole Magic Kingdom, but since you've been to Disneyland it might be a little familiar to you....Standing under Spaceship Earth is always thrilling, as is watching the fountains in Future World. I remember being very impressed with Germany in the World Showcase (I'm not sure just why). Journey Into Imagination was great fun (I sang the song for weeks) but, sadly, it's not up to it's former glory. Also, The Great Movie Ride at MGM left a great impression with me that first time. These are just off the top of my head....:thumbsup:

ojeilatan
05-24-2007, 03:57 PM
well mine was when I was 10 and I got to meet and get autographs from the characters. I thought that was cool!

That was always something enjoyed at Disneyland...even my dad still loves that.

And I remember seeing that thread, pshokie...I'm off to search for it again! :)

mickeys_princess
05-24-2007, 04:03 PM
:fworks: Dont miss any of the firework shows!! :fworks:

BrerSchultzy
05-24-2007, 04:07 PM
:congrats: and :welcome: to Intercot!

Wow...what makes WDW so magical.

The enormity of it all.

The monorail around the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake.

Seeing the castle as you round the corner on Main Street.

Realizing that you don't have to do everything at once. What WDW offers that no other resort can, is the complete and total immersion into imagination. The first time I went to WDW with a group of college friends who had never been there (I was a pro by then), they were all about riding everything every day...until day two, when they realized that they were in the most peaceful place on earth. Look around. Enjoy the fact that you are surrounded by Disney. Wear your mouse ears to dinner, and to your hotel. Heck, wear them to bed. Nobody will look at you funny (especially since they probably have goofy ears on). That's one thing that Disneyland can't do....you can't "live" in Disney there...you can in WDW.

Oh...and take lots of pictures and forget about diets. You'll thank me later.

johnO
05-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Immersion is the key. WDW is so very different then DL. You're surrounded by DIsney, you sleep on the property and are truly sucluded from the rest of the world. You cant live, eat, drink, and sleep disney.

grumpycajun
05-24-2007, 06:03 PM
The first time we went to The World we went to Epcot first. Getting off the bus and walking up to the enterance with the "Epcot Music" playing in the background is something we will never forget. Now it's how we start every trip. Check out Spaceship Earth first. It's amazing. You won't regret it.

wedway76
05-24-2007, 06:21 PM
The first time I went I was just about your age, but back then the Magic Kingdom was the ONLY park. I fell in love with it then and it’s still my favorite. As others have said, being that you have been to Disneyland, the Magic Kingdom might not seem as special to you as it did to me, but I still get a special feeling when I step onto Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom.

scooterca42
05-25-2007, 09:23 AM
There is no replacing or replaying the first time you stand on Main Street looking up towards the castle. I will never forget DH's expression when he saw it - he was twenty seven and had been dreaming of going to the World for years. I didn't know about the first timer buttons or I'd have gotten him one.

Take time to people watch. If you're staying on property, wander around your resort and enjoy the detail that Disney puts into even the value resorts. Resort hop! Ride the monorail just 'cause.

When you're in Disneyland, although it's one of the coolest parks in the world, it's still got the 'theme park' vibe, though not as much so as, say, a Six Flags. As has been mentioned, Disney World is much more immersive. Go with it!

And don't forget a trip report!

Tinkerfreak
05-25-2007, 09:30 AM
One of the most magical things for us was seeing our girls' faces when they stepped out onto the balcony at AKL and a giraffe was looking right at them. They loved it.
Aslo seeing Illuminations for the first time. I will never forget how emotional I was and we had never seem anything like it before. We still get emotional watching it. I am so excited for you and your family. Like the op have said, don't forget to slow down and just enjoy the Disney feeling. Yes the rides are fun and important but there is so much more to Disney than that, just explore the resorts and take it all in.

TheMartellFamily
05-25-2007, 09:38 AM
What we tell everyone that has not been and we tell them to follow this is, which will make the trip much easier is..... Take your time and enjoy, if you rush to see everything you miss soo much more. Know that you will not see everything which is ok, because you will be back! The best thing also is when you walk under the train station walking into the MK make sure all of your family is together and walk around the corner and stand and look down main street and get your first view of the castle. It is an undescribeable feeling that you will remember the rest of your life.

offero
05-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Having been to both Disneyland and WDW nothing compares to the feeling you get, (especially as a child) crossing the lagoon on the ferry, and slowly watching the castle get bigger. I know there are quicker and easier ways to get in the park, but every time I go to WDW the first time I go to the MK I take the ferry in.

Belle_0717
05-25-2007, 12:55 PM
My first trip was when I was 13. All I wanted to do was see Winnie the Pooh. I did but I had to force my way through a crowd was smaller kids - this was in the days before FORMAL character greetings. Now I don't feel like such a bully (at 31) to wait in line for a character!

TIdoubleGR
05-25-2007, 02:44 PM
When I first went to DisneyWorld (sweet 16), what really captured the magic for me was being able to do and see so many new things. Try something new that you might not normally try-- Disney makes things happen that won't happen in regular life. It's really like living in a fantasyland. Explore. Get lost, live it up, hold nothing back, and enjoy the ride. I'm sure it'll be an amazing experience. :cloud9:

Mrs.Mya
05-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Hello all. I am new to Intercot and saw this thread and had to post my first reply to this one. For me, I just can't explain exactly what makes WDW so magical. I would say to you tho, to enjoy every moment, all the sights, smells, etc. Especially enjoy being with your parents ( hopefully you already do ). Maybe Disney is so special to me because I came often with my parents and siblings when I was very young, and my dad passed away a little less than 1 yr. ago, so it makes me think of him at WDW, and being with family at WDW is a treat in itself. I now am almost 40 (yikes) and am so fortunate to come with my own kids. Just soak it all in !!! :cloud9:

threeh
05-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Welcome to intercot!!!!

Here's my tip for a first trip:

Slow down and enjoy it. Remember that you won't do it all so just take time and ENJOY!!!

One of our best first trip moment was when we ate dinner at Tony's in the MK and when we were done Spectromagic had started. We were able to walk onto the porch and watch the whole parade. It was great. Seeing my kids watch that for the first time was priceless. So there's another tip, try to schedule a dinner around the imte of spectromagic and ask to sit on the porch.

Have a fabulous trip!!!!:mickey:

Soul_Power
05-26-2007, 10:51 PM
I didn't know about the first timer buttons or I'd have gotten him one.

Sounds fun! Where do you go to get this? I'm really interested in getting one now! After all, you only have a first time once!

Pop Centurion
05-27-2007, 03:23 AM
On my first trip I was blown away by Fantasmic, Illuminations, SpectroMagic, & Wishes. So I'd say the night time shows made it most magical.

BigRedDad
05-27-2007, 04:17 AM
This is one thing that I can never forge and this is back in the 70s. WDW pays attention to details. I know it is not the same now, but it is close.

MK is one of the cleanest parks in the world. I was 5 or 6 when it happened. I dropped a wrapper on the ground by accident. It blew a little bit out of the way on Main Street. My dad told me to go pick it up. Before I could (less than a few seconds), a CM had already picked it up, smiled at me and pushed me on my way to enjoy MK.

Back then, any CM seeing garbage on the ground were required to pick it up right away. You don't see this as often, but it still happens. The CMs pride themselves on their job and do what they can to make your visit that much more enjoyable. This is not the case at any other theme park you will visit. Other places workers consider it a pay check only.

kim1st
05-27-2007, 07:05 AM
:mickey: We took our first trip to Disney (actually our first real family vacation) last October. My daughters were almost 3 and almost 5.

We had the park-hopper pass, and I went ahead & purchased enough days so that we could go into a park for dinner on the day of our arrival, since it was only around $5 per person or something to add another day.

Before our luggage had even gotten to our room (we were at WL) we hopped on a boat bound for the Magic Kingdom. That was a fantastic way to start off our trip. People were lined up along main street for the parade, so there was a lot of energy as we made our way towards the castle. We had a quick dinner at Cosmic Ray's and then road the Teacups while everyone else was watching the parade. We rode twice - no line! This was our family's favorite ride, because we could all do it and enjoy it together. I think it will officially be "our" Disney ride! :hatter:

We were all entranced by how beautiful the MK is at night!

Once the fireworks started, we high tailed it for the exit, to get ahead of the crowd. :walk: We were able to see a bit of the show from the platform while waiting for the boat back to WL. BUT they closed the boat right in front of my family and we had to wait for the next one. This was actually GOOD because we managed to be first onto the next boat. The Captain (Les, I think???) showed us which seats were the best for firework viewing.

On the ride back to our resort, we could see the castle all lit up and the fireworks...THAT was our magical introduction to MK.:cloud9:

:tink: Have a fantastic trip - and like others have said - don't forget to stop and smell the magic!

kim1st
05-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Just saw the question about the first timer buttons.

When we booked our trip on line there was a spot to let them know who was making their first trip to Disney. We were given buttons for our girls when we checked in at our resort.

disneygirlie11
05-27-2007, 07:42 AM
Seeing that you are 18, you probably won't be inclined to watch many of the shows, but do!! I'm 23 and I still enjoy them! It Tough To be a Bug at AK is really fun! Also, Lion King and Honey I Shrunk the Audience is good to see once!

busterthebronco
05-27-2007, 10:20 AM
riding the carousel sp?) with my bride on our honeymoon. we promised each other we would come back every year!:cloud9:

DNS
05-27-2007, 10:30 AM
I've tried to think about what made our first trip so amazing and I just can't come up with anything specific. We were totally amazed the the enormity of WDW and each area/park/hotel has it's own Disney feeling. Having been to Disneyland, you might want to start your first day with a park other than Magic Kingdom. I personally think that the night time shows really give a fabulous end of the day feeling. Also, if you've never been to Florida, the pools and water parks at WDW can make for a very welcome change of pace in mid afternoon. Hopefully you will come back to intercot and post a trip report. I will look forward to reading it.
Hope you have a truly magical time.:pixie:

ojeilatan
05-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I personally think that the night time shows really give a fabulous end of the day feeling. Also, if you've never been to Florida, the pools and water parks at WDW can make for a very welcome change of pace in mid afternoon. Hopefully you will come back to intercot and post a trip report. I will look forward to reading it.
Hope you have a truly magical time.:pixie:

It seems that night shows and fireworks are a must! I remember watching the fireworks over the castle in Disneyland last November. It took me a minute to realize I was in tears, and as I looked around, I saw I was far from the only one. I have heard from friends who have been to WDW that their fireworks are ten times even better. My parents and I are really interested in coordinating our dinner at Rose and Crown with the Illuminations show.

And I will be sure to do a trip report....I'd love to share the memories with you all!:mickey:

septembergirl
05-27-2007, 04:15 PM
I went at 17 with my family to WDW and Epcot for the first time. It was such a great experience. I love the street shows in the pavillions. They are definitely worth sticking around for. The best way to see the WS is to just stroll through leisurely and let yourself be thrilled and entertained by all the sights, sounds and smells. I have a photo of myself at 17 with one of the performers in Italy serenading me. To me the WS is worth the visit.

Also, I love the character interaction at MK and MGM. I don't mean the ones you seek out or stand in line for - the ones who are roaming around the park and take time to play around with the guests.

Spectromagic and Philharmagic are wonderful and you don't want to miss them.

Try a truly Disney experience and go to the 50's Prime Time Cafe or Whispering Canyon.

Ahhh...Can't wait to get back!:cloud9: