PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

KAT1811
05-24-2007, 10:17 AM
A wealthy benefactor has decided to fund a vacation to Walt Disney World for your family; the vacation is to be for 10 nights. He has presented you with four hotel options :scratch: (including park passes and the dining plan), the most expensive of which is almost $8,000.00. You still have to factor in your flights :plane: , transfers :drive:, and spending money :shop: . He has figured that he will give you a $10,000.00 allowance. You have the options of the following hotels. Whatever money you don't spend on vacation you can keep and spend however you like.

:tiphat: Grand Floridian (concierge): $7,699.04

:tikki: Polynesian (lagoon view): $6967.84

:cowboy: Coronado Springs (water view): $3986.44

:geek2: Pop Century (preferred room): $3248.64

KAT1811
05-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Personally I would go with the Coronado Springs option. Not only is it my favorite resort so far but this way I could go twice and have both trips just about paid for completely! Two trips is better than one in my opinion but I am certainly curious as to what everyone else thinks!

Michigander
05-24-2007, 10:25 AM
are you kidding? I would go for pop and have enough left for a second trip later in the year. Two trips in one year sounds wonderful to me!:thumbsup:

tink2006
05-24-2007, 10:31 AM
I would stay at the Poly. I have ALWAYS wanted to stay there but my husband will not agree. I am still working on this! This would also give me a little money left over that we can use towards a second trip :mickey: :number1:

Mickey91
05-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Wow! What a dream! Definitely the Poly! It is so relaxing!! I hope to go there again sometime! :lei:

CanadianWDWFan
05-24-2007, 10:39 AM
If I had to choose a resort, I would say the Poly!

But I would tell them, for the $18,000 I could purchase a DVC membership and then be HAPPY for the next 30 years or so!:D

Seasonscraps
05-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I would choose the Poly -- I am curious about staying there but with DVC we probably won't.

Dedivah
05-24-2007, 11:19 AM
OH Wow!!! This would be something..... $10,000 is everything right? Not the hotel, tickets and dining, then an added $10,000

I would go with Polynesian. That has been a dream of mine. As well as the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

But with exchanging in my timeshare through II. We may never make it, however, with Animal Kingdom Lodge opening the new Villas. That just might come true! :thumbsup:

MsMin
05-24-2007, 11:27 AM
If someone was spending that much money I would want it to feel like a "dream" vacation and I would love the poly and still have plenty to spend on other things since DDP and Tickets are included. GF just doesn't do it for me like the Poly:thumbsup:

k_reile
05-24-2007, 11:49 AM
I choose GF because I would want the luxury vacation because it would probably never happen again!!

kgoulash
05-24-2007, 11:52 AM
i'd go with the poly, i've never stayed there but always wanted to and with everything else taken care of i think i could justify bringing my own spending money!

cperry92380
05-24-2007, 12:05 PM
I went with Pop. Yea, its not luxury, but with the 10 grand, you can make three trips!!
Yea, the Poly is very nice and very relaxing (when you're there!!! and not busy touring-which we usually do commando...) :D but I don't think it means THAT much to me.
I go to Disney for the parks, not the hotels.
Nothing beats THREE dream vacations in a year.:party: :party: :party:

biodtl
05-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Well, if "do whatever you like" with the remaining money means I can invest in future vacations, I'll take POP and go back another time or two. Otherwise, Poly.

trudisneygal
05-24-2007, 12:40 PM
I would choose Poly. We have always wanted to stay at a monorail resort, and DH and I both like Poly. I always like to visit it and at least eat there, and I've heard that it has a good view of Wishes from the beach which I think would be nice. We have ADR's for Ohana's this time during the fireworks (I think) and I'm looking forward to that. It's such a nice atmosphere at Poly, and besides that would give us some extra $$ for spending and probaly even to put a little back for planning another trip. I hope we'll get the chance to stay at Poly sometime! :lei:

Dopey's Girl
05-24-2007, 12:43 PM
While I would love to stay at GF, or Poly, that $10,000 would pay for 3 trips to POP. So Pop, here I come!

SBETigg
05-24-2007, 12:45 PM
I would choose Grand Floridian. I would consider it bonus found money and use it to enjoy Disney my way, to the fullest with all the extras and my favorite resort. There's no way I would make more than one ten day trip to WDW in a year, anyway.

Spaceship Tigger
05-24-2007, 12:56 PM
I would go with the Poly - I don't have a lot of interest in the other resorts on the list. Being able to keep the extra money would be great, but for an opportunity like this I would go all out on somewhere that I really wanted to stay.

EllieMae
05-24-2007, 01:03 PM
I chose the Poly cause I just love that resort! From the options given, GF would be a close second.

January-2007
05-24-2007, 01:10 PM
DH and I both really want to stay at the Grand Floridian one day so that is where we would stay for sure. We love the feel of the resort but since we can't justify the money right now we stay at Pop most of the time. But some day.... Grand Floridian here we come!

lightyearfan
05-24-2007, 01:23 PM
here is our reasoning why we choose Pop Century Resort. Me and dw love to spend all day at the parks/ water parks, we're up and out by 7:30 am then it's off to our breakfest, then it's fun fun fun, we don't leave the parks until close so for us why should we spend all that extra money staying at a moderate hotel, when were at the parks all day, now in the begining when our dd was with us and we spent more time at the hotel we went for the moderate.

Victor

BrerSchultzy
05-24-2007, 01:24 PM
I have to vote for the Polynesian on this one. I am already lucky enough to be able to go once every couple of years, so an added bonus like this would be just so special. My DW and I honeymooned on a less than shoestring budget, and every time we go to WDW, we stay at SoG or Grosvenor. If something like this were to come along, I'd thank them tremendously, make sure they want to do this, and then live it up in the height of luxury. And the Polynesian is just that. Sure, the GF is beautiful, but that's now how we vacation. We'd probably head over there once or twice with the DDP, but that would have to be a special occasion.

But what a neat idea for a thread! :thumbsup:

Now back to reality. :(

MickeyandTink
05-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Great post!

My first impulse was Poly, but for nearly double the cost, I'd rather have the money for another trip or to do things I would probably not otherwise ever do (Racing School, swim with the dolphins, etc.)

Therefore, I went with the Coronado. Its only a bit more than PoP and I would like to see if the moderate was worth the extra money.

mdricks
05-24-2007, 02:07 PM
This one was easy for me. Take the family to coranado springs.

Then come back with the extra money and do the Poly on a solo trip! :D

(Hun, hey where ya going? What are you doing with that frying pan? Hun....

Sorry gotta run.)

Kate In Wonderland
05-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Two nights at the Poly. The rest of the stay at Coronado Springs and if there's any money leftover then maybe I'd take another trip later on!

Or....I know this isn't an option, but if AKL was available, then I'd stay the full 10 nights there!

Crow
05-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Personally I would go with the Coronado Springs option. Not only is it my favorite resort so far but this way I could go twice and have both trips just about paid for completely! Two trips is better than one in my opinion but I am certainly curious as to what everyone else thinks!
i was actually just thinking that too.
ill b at CSR next wk. and for this poll its not much more than Pop.
never wanted GF
Poly tempted but.
and being able to keep whats left, i could put it towards a trip to Tokyo Disney!!!

bleukarma
05-24-2007, 03:26 PM
I know I’m probably the odd person out but I would want to pick the Poly but cut it down to 5 days instead of 10.

Since it’s money I wouldn’t have to begin with then I would want to go the luxury route, and I would chose Poly over GF. Pop and Coronado Springs are within my reach but chances are I will never be at Poly unless someone actually does pay for it.

But 10 days just seems like a long vacation to me. First, my work would never allow me off for two weeks in a row (I know we’re dreaming here, but if it really did happen then it just couldn’t be done). Second the money I would save by cutting the vacation short could go to fun extra things (Illuminations cruise, parasailing) and future trips.

I know most people hate to give up extra days at WDW but I don’t think I’ve ever taken a vacation over a week!

PirateLover
05-24-2007, 03:39 PM
I chose the GF. I will never stay there of my own accord so if someone is throwing money my way I'm going to use it to the fullest extent. I've already stayed at the Polynesian 3x and I LOVE it but I would like to check out GF. I would rather go crazy with one big blowout vacation than take multiple trips. We swore that our trip we just got back from was the last one (for a while anyway) that we do "full speed ahead". At this point, being older and not having kids yet, I am beginning to enjoy the "Adult" side of WDW and it's not all about rushing to the next ride for me any more. So bring on the pampering!

pox24
05-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Easy... Take the 10K and buy another Rolex!:secret:

GrmGrninGost
05-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I would go with Poly unless he threw in the Wilderness Lodge!!:mickey:

KAT1811
05-24-2007, 10:25 PM
$10,000 is everything right? Not the hotel, tickets and dining, then an added $10,000

Exactly.

Yea, the Poly is very nice and very relaxing (when you're there!!! and not busy touring-which we usually do commando...) :D but I don't think it means THAT much to me.
I go to Disney for the parks, not the hotels.
Nothing beats THREE dream vacations in a year.:party: :party: :party:

We tour commando as well. Up and out early and back late most of the time with sleeping kids. I also go for the parks not the hotel. My hotel choices are important on other trips where we spend most of our time at the resort. Like when we were in the caribbean we chose to stay at the Ritz but we never left the hotel after we checked in so I had no problem spending the money because I was utilizing the ammenities.

Well, if "do whatever you like" with the remaining money means I can invest in future vacations, I'll take POP and go back another time or two. Otherwise, Poly.

"Do whatever you like" means just that. Or like Pox24 said put it towards a Rolex. Although I prefer Ebel instead.

rnin02
05-24-2007, 11:34 PM
I voted for GF because I thought you got ONE 10 day vacation only...didn't even think about dividing up the $$ into more than one trip. If I was given $10,000 that I had to spend at disney...I'd probably do a really long trip to AKL...or maybe do a spring trip and a fall trip...but probably still at AKL. But I'd go for the concierge level, get to do the sunrise safari, all the neat stuff.

DisneyMP3Maker
05-24-2007, 11:46 PM
I would stay at Coronado just as an extra little bonus to the trip. Plus, as many have stated already, you would have enough money for a second trip! We don't usually go to Disney and worry about the hotel room. We only spend time there when we are eating breakfast, or sleeping, and possibly swimming. I've stayed at Poly before, so I would like to take my wife there some day.

snifflesmcg
05-25-2007, 12:06 AM
This took ALOT of thought. I am a value girl all the way. I just love saving money. However, I would LOVE to stay at Poly. SO........i'll split the difference. I'll splurge a bit and stay at Coronado Springs and pocket the rest.

septembergirl
05-25-2007, 12:35 AM
I would choose Pop for the majority of the trip, then switch over to the Poly for the last 2-3 nights!

BritCody
05-25-2007, 06:38 AM
I would love to stay at the Polynesian, but I am of the mind set that I would rather go to Pop and save the rest of the money for another trip.

Wrigley
05-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I would have to choose the GF simply because it would be a new experience since I have stayed in the others before. I've always wanted to stay at the GF, but it has always been a little out of the desired price range!

DestinationWDW
05-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Def. the Poly - Have always wanted to stay on the monorail.....with family of 5 -deluxe is out of budget!:cloud9:

SodaPopMGK
05-25-2007, 10:45 PM
I would choose the Poly but I would rather go concierge instead of lagoon view, my teenage boys don't care if they can see the castle, but I know they'd want the extra food.

CuteAsMinnie
05-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Seem a no-brainer to me!:blush:

threeh
05-26-2007, 03:22 PM
I would ditch the Poly lagoon view and get garden view concierge and sip my guava juice while I watch wishes from the Hawaii lounge. I feel like a mastercard commercial, view from Hawaii lounge...priceless!!!
:thumbsup:

tinksmom02
05-26-2007, 10:04 PM
I voted for the GF although I probably wouldn't go Concierge. I was really torn with this one, though, because i'd really like to stay at the Poly. BUT, if someone else is paying, I'm going all out! I think it's easier to save money for airfare and souveniers than it is to pay for a GF stay!!

DisneyorBust
05-27-2007, 10:36 PM
As the POLY :tikki:is our favorite resort, I would naturally return and take in some "South Seas Island Adventure".:papple:

2manykats
05-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Coronado Springs
I did the deluxe trip and it was very nice but not really something I need to do again.:mickey:

Sammyjo
05-28-2007, 04:04 PM
I picked the poly. I could pay for coronado myself and have no interest in staying at the others. As far as any left over money I would use it to help pay my bills for being off of work for ten days.

KAT1811
05-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Coronado Springs
I did the deluxe trip and it was very nice but not really something I need to do again.:mickey:

:ditto:

caryrae
05-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Well since you still have to buy airline tickets transfers and spending money, lets see I would stay at POP so I could get a couple 1st class airline tickets for my wife and I (could never do it otherwise), since I like to drive myself in WDW I would get some kind of luxury vehical to drive, then have like 2 or 3 thousand left to spend on whatever we want.

KAT1811
05-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Well since you still have to buy airline tickets transfers and spending money, lets see I would stay at POP so I could get a couple 1st class airline tickets for my wife and I (could never do it otherwise), since I like to drive myself in WDW I would get some kind of luxury vehical to drive, then have like 2 or 3 thousand left to spend on whatever we want.

Very nice and well thought out! First class is a great experience and I think everyone should do it at least once if at all possible. Great thinking! How about a car and driver so you can have the convience of a car and the pampering of having someone else do the driving!

mook3y
05-30-2007, 09:21 AM
If I had to choose a resort, I would say the Poly!

But I would tell them, for the $18,000 I could purchase a DVC membership and then be HAPPY for the next 30 years or so!:D

Gr8 minds think alike! :D :thumbsup:

KAT1811
05-30-2007, 09:26 AM
It's not $18,000. It's a grand total of $10,000 that you can spend anyway you like. i'm not sure that'll get you DVC. Last time I checked it was much more than that for $10,000 or even $18,000 I'd be in!!!

darthmacho
05-30-2007, 09:43 AM

I think that this is very wise. I was going to hop on the Poly idea, because I think a wealthy benefactor might be my only chance of ever staying there, but your words of wisdom made me come to my senses. Besides, I love Coronado Springs. I would not be disappointed with that, and I'd have enough for another trip maybe at Port Orleans! :mickey:

KAT1811
05-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Thank you! :thumbsup:

I love all of the Walt Disney World hotels and would love to stay at them all but that isn't what I'm there for. We do our touring commando style, out early go all day and then back late. We spend maybe one or two days at the resort pool in our 12 - 14 day trip and for us it's not worth spending the extra $2000.+++

SingingLights
05-30-2007, 10:23 AM
This is a once in a lifetime trip. It has to be the Grand Floridian.