PDA

View Full Version : Anyone terrified by Soarin?

nifty48
05-23-2007, 08:29 PM
This past weekend I took my girlfriends (mid 40s, early 50s) who were visiting to ride Soarin. I told them that it was a wonderful ride that I really enjoyed. I also mentioned that when I had originally ridden the ride I was concerned about motion sickness and fear of heights, but that it was not a problem. Well, they screamed throughout the ride.:blush: I’m sorry but I will have to admit that I laughed at them throughout the ride (they are very old dear friends.) :laughing: We laughed about the ride and their reaction throughout the weekend but when we talked about the others on the ride we felt bad that we might have spoiled their experiences. Sorry to any of you who might have been on that ride.:-o Has anyone else experienced a similar reaction? :confused:

mouseketeer mom
05-23-2007, 08:33 PM
No! Never! If anything I find that ride so relaxing, it makes me wish I was a bird!

Polynesian Dweller
05-23-2007, 08:55 PM
No! Never! If anything I find that ride so relaxing, it makes me wish I was a bird!

Couldn't say it any better!:exactly:

bouncer
05-23-2007, 08:58 PM
I took DH on it thinking that it was mild enough for him. He does not like rides very much at all. He wanted to close his eyes but that of course made the feeling worse. He compares it to flying a plane and being stalled. He is used to being in control flying a plane and they have to practice manuvering a stalled engine. Very scary for him. The other person who didn't like it was a friend of ours. She felt the same way--wanting to close her eyes but sicker when she closed her eyes. I personally think that Soarin is my absolute fave. Sorry they didn't like it. :(

mickeys_princess_mom
05-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Has anyone else experienced a similar reaction? :confused:
Not at all! Love this ride!:mickey:

septembergirl
05-23-2007, 10:28 PM
I have been wondering about this ride but it didn't occur to me to ask?
I am a person who easily gets motion sickness. While I love the description of Soarin', I have wondered if it will make me sick???

bratmaster
05-23-2007, 10:38 PM
I too am wary about this ride, as i get motion sick sitting on a swing or carousel! I have heard that the 3rd row is the tamest though, but still i am a bit freaked!

wdwnomad
05-23-2007, 10:42 PM
SHHH...For the past two years I haven't gone on this ride. I keep saying I am going to do it but I haven't. I finally did attempt to do it last year. However, once I walked in the theater and took one look at the screen I walked right back out. My stomach dropped just seeing it. Who knows maybe this year. I did finally go on Test Track though. Loved that. Baby steps...

septembergirl
05-23-2007, 10:53 PM
SHHH...For the past two years I haven't gone on this ride. I keep saying I am going to do it but I haven't. I finally did attempt to do it last year. However, once I walked in the theater and took one look at the screen I walked right back out. My stomach dropped just seeing it. Who knows maybe this year. I did finally go on Test Track though. Loved that. Baby steps...

I hadn't even planned on attempting that one!:blush:

Namine'
05-23-2007, 11:02 PM

I agree! I find it relaxing too. Even my DS who is afraid of heights loved it.:mickey:

thejens
05-23-2007, 11:49 PM
I am afraid of heights and my girlfriend has vertigo, but we both LOVED Soaring. I wasn't frightened and she wasn't dizzy or nauseaus. My 8 year old son, who was nauseaus from Mission Space, loved it too. We were in the top row. It must be very individual.

EllieMae
05-24-2007, 12:19 AM
I tend to get motion sickness on simulator type rides and if there is too fast of a movie at the IMAX. I used to try them out and every time I felt :sick: . But, I LOVE soarin! It is just mild enough to be a calm and peaceful experience. The best part is, if you do start to feel sick you could close your eyes for a second and the seats don't shake so it just calms you down (or at least it did for me).

snifflesmcg
05-24-2007, 02:10 AM
Soarin totally takes away the stress and makes you relax. I love this ride!!! Reminds me of when I went parasailing in Haiti.

wendy*darling
05-24-2007, 07:52 AM
I have a terrible motion sickness problem, but Soarin' is fantastic! I love it- especially when I ride with my shoes off. :mickey:

My DH usually can ride more thrill rides than I can, but he has a slight problem on Soarin'. He finds it better to sit in the 2nd or 3rd rows. When he can see the feet of the rows in front of him it gives him a reference point and he doesn't feel the (slight) motion as much.

I must say though, in the probably dozen or so times that I rode Soarin' I have never heard anyone scream! Ooohs and aaahs, and applause at the end, but never screaming. Sorry they didn't like it.

paragon
05-24-2007, 08:09 AM
I enjoyed this ride, but my wife had a hard time with it. Her 72 year old mother rode as well, and she did fine. My wife occasionally suffers vertigo, but this didnt get to her. We were in the front row, and got to my wife was the fact that here feet were hanging loosely.
There was one thing that bothered me though, i found the seat a bit uncomfortable, there are two raised pads? in the rear of the seat which made it a bit uncomfortable for me, did give a slight uneasy feeling-like I wasn't seated fully. But the effects of the ride are great. I wouldn't though put it in my top ten list.

Seasonscraps
05-24-2007, 08:17 AM
I have a slight sense of panic when you get lifted up into the air but then it's ok.

I am sorry your friends didnt like it. I sat next to a lady once that had to keep her eyes closed.

Tygger7
05-24-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm absolutely terrified of heights, and don't particularly care for rides, and I loved Soarin'. My husband gets motion sick easily (especially on spinny or repetitive motion rides) and had absolutely no problem with it.

I saw one comment on Test Track, and having ridden it many times, I assure you that there's nothing to worry about. No "drops", no hills, ...in fact I can't think of one thing "frightening". The most intense part, the high speed lap outsidt, is just plain fun....I would compare it to riding a motorcycle at 60mph. To give you an idea, the first time we rode it my daughter was 8 and refused to ride ANYTHING. (We had made the mistake of Alien Encounter being her first "ride"). She was scared to death to ride TT, and my mom told her she'd give her $20 if she rode it with us. Not realizing my mom told her this, my husband told her he would give her $20 if she rode it. That got her on the ride, and she loved it. Funny thing is, she got off the ride and started collecting her money...and asked if she could get another $40 if she rode it again. We said "no", but she rode it again anyway.:mickey:

Belle619
05-24-2007, 08:56 AM
My sister and I both have a huge fear of heights, so we've yet to try Soarin'. Maybe someday we'll work up the courage!

JCDarzi
05-24-2007, 09:35 AM
I was a little nervous riding Soarin the first time because I was 7 months pregnant. My husband rode it first and asked if I could ride it. I didn't get sick at all.

My mom who never rides anything really enjoyed the ride as well. That said, I have heard that if you get a little queasy to look to the sides of the screen so that you can get your equilibrium back.

Mikey Piano 23
05-24-2007, 09:57 AM
My girlfriends brother hates all rides. However he went on the ride and really enjoyed it. So, sorry I never heard anyone screaming on it. :mickey:

A Mouse Fan
05-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Oh my I should not have laughed as my DH still glares at me when I bring up Soarin'...but when he went on it for the first time in December (I had ridden it in California) when the ride first lifts you up he grabbed both sides of his seat and sat with his eyes squeezed shut for almost the whole ride. I hadn't realized he did this until I heard the lady on the other side of him say "Don't worry it's Ok...you will get through the ride" and I glanced over and she was patting my DH on his shoulder. I then started laughing :funny: (I know not nice) and kept telling him to open his eyes...which he FINALLY did as we were flying over Disneyland! After the ride was over the nice lady that was trying to console him told him her 7 year old son was scared to the first time he went on it...My 6ft 7in 35 year DH really didn't appreciate that comment :D
That memory of WDW still makes me smile!

Mandalorian30
05-24-2007, 11:10 AM
On my last trip, the lady sitting next to me was freaking out. The whole time she was screaming "Oh my God, oh my God!" I'm pretty sure she was in tears she was so scared.

I, on the other hand, loved it. It is easily my favorite ride at Epcot!

bleukarma
05-24-2007, 11:34 AM
A Mouse Fan, I laughed out loud at your story! I’m sure your DH wouldn’t appreciate it but it made me laugh!

I love Soar’n, it’s my fav at Epcot and on my top 3 of all of WDW! But I don’t tend to get motion sickness or anything like that.

When I go in a few weeks with my parents I want to try to get my mom on it. She’s never been on it and has always been scared because she gets motion sickness. I think she will do just fine, but I don’t want her to do something that will make her sick. I guess we’ll see how she feels when we get there.

Nifty48 I’m sure your terrified friends didn’t like it at the time but I’m glad you guys could laugh about it later! It sounds like you had a great trip!

kgoulash
05-24-2007, 11:46 AM
i would love to try this ride but i'm nervous about the 'falling out' sensation, i've always had a fear on gondola type rides where your feet dangle that i'm going to fall out so i sit as still as possible and hold on for dear life
don't think i'll get on this one

Marker
05-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Soarin' is absolutely AWESOME!!!!

And even if I was scared, don't see what good screaming would do. (guess maybe that's a guy statement) Actually, a quick look to the right or left, or up or down, and suddenly the illusion of being high up and flying is gone.

nifty48
05-24-2007, 01:28 PM
i would love to try this ride but i'm nervous about the 'falling out' sensation, i've always had a fear on gondola type rides where your feet dangle that i'm going to fall out so i sit as still as possible and hold on for dear life

That's exactly what one of my friends said she felt like she might fall out and that is what made her so scared. As a matter of fact she and another of my friends went on Rock "n" Rollercoaster and loved it. They felt nice and secure on that ride.

Nifty48 I’m sure your terrified friends didn’t like it at the time but I’m glad you guys could laugh about it later! It sounds like you had a great trip!

We did have a great time and believe it or not I got them on the Tower of Terror the next day. Although two of them said they might try Soarin again, all three said they would never go on Tower of Terror again. :eek: lol

Disneytrotters
05-24-2007, 03:09 PM
I am a person who easily gets motion sickness. While I love the description of Soarin', I have wondered if it will make me sick???

When we were in the line our first time on Soarin' I almost had a panic attack!!!:( I was afraid that I would get sick and freak out or something. But, my partner convinced me to give it a try, and I must say...it's one of my favorite rides now!!!:)

Of course, the MIL claims to have been completely traumatized by the whole thing, but then again, she freaks out at It's Tough To Be A Bug!!! LOL

septembergirl
05-24-2007, 03:33 PM
For better or worse, I can't wait to get back to WDW, have the kids see Epcot for the first time, and try Soarin'!!!

Stu29573
05-24-2007, 03:34 PM
My DW is TOTALLY afraid of heights (she even hates to go over small bridges) so I think we'll have to give this one a pass. It's a bummer too, because I'm sure if she could get past the "being up in the air" thing, she would love it....:(

kathymk616
05-26-2007, 06:15 PM
I love Soarin', but my Mom's friend went on it a few weeks ago and was TERRIFIED! She has a tremendous fear of heights. Get this: she was screaming so loud and continuously that they had to stop it mid-ride to let her off! I feel bad not only for her, but for everyone else on the ride. (I can only assume they started it from the very beginning for everyone else.)

LudwigVonDrake
05-26-2007, 07:00 PM
The two times I was able to ride it, NO ONE screamed :mickey:

Cinderelley
05-26-2007, 11:21 PM

I'm the same way. I was terrified on the lift at Blizzard Beach, but once I was on Soarin' for a few minutes, I was ok.

wilshade
05-27-2007, 09:01 AM
I just have to share this with you all.

I manage a group home for special needs adults and took them to WDW last year.

One of my guys said that they wanted to go on Sorain'. So, my staff took him while the rest of us hung around the Jammitors.

They got all the way through the que, right to where they were going to board when the CMs announced over the PA "Ready for boarding. Enjoy your flight.

As soon as our guy heard that word, "flight", he took off runnin' for the exit. He was so fast that the CMs could only point and say "He went thatta way!"

He made it outside the pavillion before my staff caught up to him.

It took me a good while to stop laughing when they told me about it.

Bear Lee
05-27-2007, 09:31 AM
I often get motion sickness. I won't chance riding on something that I feel could ruin the rest of my day.

septembergirl
05-27-2007, 12:43 PM
I often get motion sickness. I won't chance riding on something that I feel could ruin the rest of my day.

I feel the same. Motion sickness can really ruin your good time and sometimes it takes a while for it to pass.

SheridanLedding
05-27-2007, 01:07 PM
I, too, get that "falling out" sensation on chair lifts and the like (my little brother wonders why I won't go skiing with him anymore...guess who loves to bounce the chairlift on the way up?;))

I have yet to go on Soarin' and plan for this October to be my first time. I might have planned to skip it, but I have a soft spot for simulators, I'm a computer science major and dabble in psychology, so the use of machine aided motion and visual stimulation to create a ride experience really intrigues me! As a precaution, however, I made my bf promise to sit next to me and not laugh if I grab his arm or something, he's a big guy, so, as irrational as it is, I know I'll feel grounded sitting next to him!

MsMin
05-27-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm in your friends age group and I find the ride very very mild, like a movie with a slight swing ;)
It's relaxing but not scary. I do respect others with equilibrium problems or motion sickness. My mom can't take a lot of movement and we tried to talk her on to it but we were afraid that my dad didn't have the mobility to get off if need be.

wedway76
05-27-2007, 07:03 PM
He wanted to close his eyes but that of course made the feeling worse.
She felt the same way--wanting to close her eyes but sicker when she closed her eyes. :(

I am EXTREMELY prone to motion sickness :sick: and closing my eyes always does the trick for me. If I open my eyes for more than 5 seconds on Body Wars or Star Wars I gst sick as a dog, but with my eyes closed I'm fine. Same with Soaring.

I have been wondering about this ride but it didn't occur to me to ask?

I get dizzy just tilting my head back quickly. I have literally gotten queazy sitting on the sofa watching TV, but I got through Soaring ok. The first time I rode it my game plan was to keep my eyes open as long as I can and then close them at the first sign of sickness, but I think I made it the entire ride. I've ridden it 3 or 4 times with no problem.

Jessie
05-27-2007, 08:55 PM
I feel the same. Motion sickness can really ruin your good time and sometimes it takes a while for it to pass.

What about riding it at the very end of the day so that you know you're just going back to your room to relax.

I absolutely love soarin' and I am not a big roller coaster thrill ride person. I was nervous at first too and I will admit, that intial take off and that feeling of...well, soaring is strange. You almost want to lean back and hold onto something, but that quickly passes and it's a blast.

ElenitaB
05-27-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm scared of heights (which is why I tend not to like roller coasters), but can handle Mission:Space quite easily (even the spinning version). Soarin', however, is definitely not my cup of tea. I went on this past November with my DS and his father (who is a pilot). They both loved the ride and spent the entire time trying to get me to open my eyes (which I did only when I felt comfortable). I did not like the angle at which the seats are (which are not at all like a chair lift).

Let's just say that from now on, I'll stay on the ground and watch everyone's stuff for them!

Mickey91
05-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Well, I am scared of heights and don't like thrill rides. I love Soarin! You can ask to be on the 3rd row. It is the lowest and really not far off the ground. I would definitely try this one before trying anything else you would consider a thrill ride. Also, opening your eyes is easier and not as scary as closing them.

My mother would hate it. But, she hated Alladin's Flying Carpets.

MinnieMommie
05-28-2007, 06:27 AM
I am sorry your friends were fearful on Sorin. It's good they were able to laugh about it after. This is one of my favorite Disney experiences and I find Sorin very relaxing - so much so that I probably could have blocked out the screaming! Maybe now that your friends know what to expect they might consider trying it again. Sometimes an initial experience can be unnerving because of the unknown factor. The recommendation to try the 3rd row might help as well. :mickey:

DisFan01
09-03-2007, 08:06 PM
We decided to take my mother on it. We forgot that she had vertigo, but it turned out alright. Now she loves it.:mickey:

#1donaldfan
09-03-2007, 08:32 PM
A very relaxing ride....your just hanging there above the beautiful California landscape. I like it when the fireworks "boom" over the DL castle.......

mousetrapper
09-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Gosh, I don't know! I love the ride but it's hard to know how someone else will perceive it!

I think you have to *breathe* and just settle into the experience...keep your eyes open and really take in the scenery...

Try not to tense up, and just relax. I know, that's much easier said than done!!

;)

mjaclyn
09-03-2007, 10:29 PM
The first time I rode 'Soarin' was in California Adventure and I loved it!

The second time I rode it was in Epcot and I was completely terrified!! I was sitting all the way at the end on the very bottom on the right. All I could see was half of the screen and the guy down below who was operating the whole thing. I think the fact that I saw how far up I was off the ground made me incredibly ill. I doubt I'll be going on it during my next trip - it's too bad because I actually really enjoyed it the first time. I just can't get the image of the CM operating the ride out of my mind!

martinfamily5
09-04-2007, 01:45 PM
We love soarin'. It is one of our favorites. It is so relaxing.:thumbsup:

pixiesmimi
09-04-2007, 06:11 PM
I've always been very prone to motion sickness and don't really even like to fly but over the years got used to it by taking Dramimine. But I still get very nervous at the slightest thing because I am afraid of heights. My DH is a fixed wing and helicopter pilot and loves it. I don't ride roller coasters at all. I have ridden a couple in the past and regretted it. It is just known that when we go to WDW, I will be sitting the ride out with the kids that are too young while everyone else rides. This is fine with me although my DH keeps teasing me and keeps trying to get me to ride. He just doesn't understand how you feel if you are sick the rest of the day.

After reading all the posts on this site about Soaring, MS, TT, etc. I decided for this anniversary trip with just the two of us, I would take Dramimine and try to ride the rides with him. (Not TOT!) We rode Soarin the first thing in the morning before breakfast and I was sure that would make me sick on an empty stomach. I did lift my legs up when it started up (over the rail on the front row) but managed to get through it without getting sick or scared (well, almost):blush: I found that if I started getting dizzy just to focus on one spot in front of me and not try to look around. It wasn't bad so afterwards, we ate breakfast and I took the Dramimine and we went back on it. It was more fun the second time (got the first row again) and wasn't as prone to motion sickness. My DH wanted to ride in the front so he couldn't see other's feet. He was so proud of me for riding that he got Fastpasses for us but we ended up not using them because we decided to move on and gave them away. With confidence, I told him I would try SM. The ride broke just as we were about to get on and I started looking for the exit. It was down for about 15 minutes and the CM was explaining about having to get cars down, etc. I was about to have a panic attack. We got on and because I didn't feel as secure in it as the other, was scared to death. I didn't realize how intense it would be. I thought I was going to have a heart attack! When we finally got off my DH asked how I liked it. To his dismay, I told him I had ridden it and would never do it again and he might as well give our Fastpasses away. :) That disappointed him but at least I tried it. I now know what my tolerances are and can judge the rides by that.

crazykids
09-05-2007, 08:36 AM
I go on all of the big rides, rollercoasters, etc. & the only one that really scared me was Soarin! I don't think it was the height, but the fact that there was nothing in front of me to hold on to & I had a fear of falling out. I held on to DH really tight & eventually got my bearings, but not sure if I'd ride again!

MushuGrl
09-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I am EXTREMELY afraid of heights, to the point where I feel faint if I even THINK I'm up high. (I'm a joy to ride on a plane with). But Soarin' did not bother me at all! I am prone to motion sickness, but took a non-drowsy Dramamine before hand. My first time was at California Adventure and I'm SO looking foward to riding it again at Epcot!