PDA

View Full Version : Are verandas worth the $$$?

maizey05
05-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Just wondering if they are worth the extra $$. If you were sitting on the veranda, would you be able to get a tan, (does the sun come in, or is it blocked by another balcony hanging overhead)?

mouseketeer mom
05-23-2007, 08:31 PM
No, the verandahs are not useful for tanning. There is another balcony overhead, and they are closed in on both sides for privacy from the rooms on either side. We enjoyed the verandah. There are 5 of us, 2 adults, 3 kids. We had a family suite with verandah. It helped to extend our space. It was also terrific for early morning hours. We would go out there and watch as we got closer to our destination and docked. It felt very safe with the kids too. While we took turns getting ready for dinner, we would relax on the verandah and wait for the others.

TammiMcMan
05-23-2007, 11:30 PM
It really depends. If it were a 3 night cruise, I'd probably say it was fine to skip it. Chances are, you wouldn't be spending all that much time in your room anyway. Plus, there are plenty of places to grab a lounge chair on deck 4, deck 7, deck 9 and deck 10. If you're considering a 4 or 7 night cruise, then I'd definitely consider it. Sea days on the ship can get quite crowded and it can be tough to find a quiet spot. The standard verandahs come with 2 chairs and the sun is shaded quite a bit though.

ElenitaB
05-24-2007, 12:30 PM
I agree with Tammi that on a 3 night cruise, you're really out of your cabin most of the time.

However, as I had envisioned spending some time on the verandah while daydreaming for what turned out to be almost 2 years (we had to postpone our original trip for DS's 10th bday due to health reasons), I upgraded us from a Cat 9 to a Cat 6. Even though I really didn't take full advantage of it, it was truly :cloud9:

Ed
05-26-2007, 06:03 PM
We liked having the veranda mostly because we enjoyed leaving the door open to catch some fresh sea air and for the sound of the ocean rushing by. Very soothing!

There are a few suites and staterooms on the stern (rear) of the ships, on decks 6, 7 and 8 that have HUGE verandas that will definitely allow you to tan, as long as you don't mind having a few hundred of your closest personal friends on the upper decks looking down on you.

TammiMcMan
05-26-2007, 06:16 PM
There are a few suites and staterooms on the stern (rear) of the ships, on decks 6, 7 and 8 that have HUGE verandas that will definitely allow you to tan, as long as you don't mind having a few hundred of your closest personal friends on the upper decks looking down on you.They're handicapped units, so I'm not sure if they allow them to be booked up front without a direct need. If the OP wants to look into them though, here are the details:

Deck 6 - 6154 & 6654 (category 6, sleeps 3)
Deck 7 - 7136 & 7636 (category 5, sleeps 4)
Deck 8 - 8102 & 8602 (category 3, sleeps 4)

The staterooms located in the rear of the ship on deck 6 will probably offer you the most privacy.

dixielandings
05-29-2007, 09:58 AM
We loved our verandah - we were on Deck 6, aft. We actually ate room service breakfast out there one morning and it was also nice to be able to open the door to the open sea!

FatCat
05-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Another consideration is deck location. It goes hand and hand with having a verandah in most cases.

(There are some category 8 and lower on upper decks)

The elevators can get quite busy during certain times so based upon your recreation activities being able to run back and forth to room can be useful.

We are staying in a porthole room on Deck 5 this time. For our needs we find that getting to the oceaneers club and the dining and shows by just using the staircases (one flight) is very convienant.

However if Disney wants to magically upgrade us to a balcony I will not complain. The cost difference was $600 between porthole and category 6 balcony. We decided to keep the money for excursions.

We did pay the money to be on Deck 5 with a Porthole vs deck 2 for at category 10 porthole.

WelshieLover
07-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Just got back from a cruise on another cruise line. My in-laws took all of us (18 total) to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Since we did not pay we had no choice in our cabin. We, a family of 4 me DH DS 19 and DS17, were in an inside cabin for 4. At first I though I would have some issues but I really did not have any problems with it. It was great for afternoon naps - totally dark. The layout was not too small. Really surprising to me. The bathroom and closet ara were separate from the sleeping area and was like a dressing room. I really can't say an upgrade would have been neccessary and I am talking about sharing a cabin with 3 "men". We spent little time in the room except to change nap and sleep. The Promenade deck was all I needed to use as a balcony. Most people seemed to go to the top deck and I was always able to take my book and find a chair on the Promenade deck. If money is no object go for the balcony, but if $ is don't hesitate to get an inside room.

StitchLuvr
07-12-2007, 10:14 PM
We, a family of 4 me DH DS 19 and DS17, were in an inside cabin for 4. At first I though I would have some issues but I really did not have any problems with it. It was great for afternoon naps - totally dark. The layout was not too small. Really surprising to me.

That's what I'm afraid of. I've got a cruise on my wish list......and I get so claustrophobic I'm afraid if I DON'T get a balcony I'll never be able to sleep at night.

RobWreck
07-14-2007, 01:52 PM
On the 4 day Bahama cruise we took this past October, we spent so little time in the room that we wouldn't even notice a balcony. Perhaps we'll regret not having a balcony when we go on our 7 day cruise, but last time I got all the ocean I needed out there on the promenade...
Rob

TheRustyScupper
07-15-2007, 02:19 AM
1) I am not all that enamored with cruises/cruising.
2) But, Mrs Rusty and the family are.
3) I would not consider a cruise without a veranda.
4) I am talking about one with a lounging area, not small sitting area.
5) In addition to the door/veranda, the rooms are bigger.
6) I like
. . . to sit with coffee in the AM
. . . to sit with a drink (or 2, or 3) before bedtime
. . . sometimes during the day in-port or at-sea
. . . sometimes in the middle of the night at-sea

mouseketeer mom
07-16-2007, 10:18 PM
1) I am not all that enamored with cruises/cruising.
2) But, Mrs Rusty and the family are.
3) I would not consider a cruise without a veranda.
4) I am talking about one with a lounging area, not small sitting area.
5) In addition to the door/veranda, the rooms are bigger.
6) I like
. . . to sit with coffee in the AM
. . . to sit with a drink (or 2, or 3) before bedtime
. . . sometimes during the day in-port or at-sea
. . . sometimes in the middle of the night at-sea

Mr. Rusty Scupper,
I tune into whatever post I see you have a response! I love, love, love your responses. No nonsense, straight to the point! Cracks me up.:)

NJGIRL
07-17-2007, 09:46 AM
I would say yes they are worth every penny. We did a 3 day cruise. I loved our veranda. We would sit out there after our showers before getting dressed for dinner, first thing in the morning and right before bed. It was very relaxing and private.

No, I don't beleive you can get a tan. There are regular chairs out there not lounge chairs.

Florida Dreamer
07-18-2007, 09:16 AM
We greatly enjoyed the veranda and were glad we splurged for it. We too went back and forth on was it worth it. We didn't spend a lot of time on it but we had great views of our ports and it allowed us to get the outside air when we needed it and we felt it lightened up our cabin. It was a great romantic spot at night with the moon shining brightly. If in doubt - go for it. I think you will be very glad you did!