PDA

View Full Version : Expedition Everest Compared to Big Thunder Mt. Railroad?

garyfdny
05-23-2007, 04:07 PM
hi..
i have a motion sickness problem due to an ear injury but ride and love big thunder mountain railroad
really want to try the expedition everest ride but wanted to ask your opinions on how the two compare

Goes4FastPass
05-23-2007, 04:18 PM
EE is considerably faster that BTMRR and includes a segment going backwards that might be challenging for someone prone to motion sickness.

PirateLover
05-23-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't have statistics in front of me, but to me E:E didn't seem all that fast, save for one brief spot. In terms of the roughness of the ride, they are fairly equivalent. As Goes4FastPass mentioned, the only thing you might have trouble with is the backwards portion of the ride. This part made my mom very dizzy (but she has vertigo problems and left her meds home).

Jeri Lynn
05-23-2007, 04:42 PM
I can tell you my experience. I was very nervous to go on EE because a few years back I had a virus in my inner-ear which caused a severe case of vertigo. I was hospitalized for 2days and went home with severe dizziness that lasted for months, although it lessened as time went on. The nerve in my inner ear was damaged by the virus and I lost 70% of my high range hearing in that ear and was left with a constant ringing...

Anyways, as I said, I was very nervous about going on this ride, I was able to go on BTMRR without a problem, what made me nervous about EE was the backwards part in the dark...I thought it might send me into a vertigo spin, I did go on EE, the backwards part did not bother me that much, however, both my sister and I got off the ride with our bodies completely shaking, I felt like gumby. We were not nauseaus, just shakey, we sat down for a few minutes, had an ice-cream bar and then were on our way....

Would I go on again...probably not. I did not like the backwards sensation and I don't want to take another chance of sending myself into my own spin!!

I can go on most rides at WDW but stay away from anything that spins or turns upside down such as the Rock N' Roller coaster.

PirateLover
05-23-2007, 05:03 PM
the backwards part did not bother me that much, however, both my sister and I got off the ride with our bodies completely shaking, I felt like gumby. We were not nauseaus, just shakey

This is how my mom felt. She stumbled out of the ride and was holding onto by BF for dear life. Then we all started laughing (herself included) because she kind of looked like she had too much to drink ;)

Polynesian Dweller
05-23-2007, 05:53 PM
One aspect of EE not mentioned here is that the backward section also includes a loop (somewhere I heard its actually a spiral but it felt like a loop to me). That part may be more difficult given your ear problems. Other than that, the ride is similar to BTM but there are sections that are steeper.

dumbo ears
05-23-2007, 06:04 PM
EE is a lot faster with begger drops. when it goes backwards it might be a problem for someone with motion sickness. Personally, I love everything on EE except for going backwards, and thats without a motion sickness problem.

SallyfromDE
05-23-2007, 06:18 PM
I have TMJ and it effects my ear also and can cause some vertigo. I've avoided rides for years becuase they have the signs that say avoid if your preg, heart trouble and I think it says motion sickness? Anyway, I do them now. But have found that I can't do them more then once. The second try makes me nauseous for the rest of the day.

BelleBeauty
05-23-2007, 06:53 PM
One aspect of EE not mentioned here is that the backward section also includes a loop (somewhere I heard its actually a spiral but it felt like a loop to me). That part may be more difficult given your ear problems. Other than that, the ride is similar to BTM but there are sections that are steeper.

I may be misunderstanding you, but there is no loop or corkscrew in E:E - which gives the idea that you are going upside down at one point. There is a cruve as you go backwards, but you are always rightside up.

I was very nervous about the backwards part, and we ended up in the last seat on the train in the back for my first ride. It was a million times better than expected! I have motion sickness problems - usually things like Star Tours gets me sick. What might effect your ear injury is the drop - it is a steep one. Other than that, the ride is state-of-the-art technology so it is a smooth one, not bumpy for instance like wooden roller coasters at other parks can be.

If you can take a chance, I would do E:E, the themeing everywhere is fantastic, the view on the ascent is great, and the Yeti is NOT to be missed!

laward32
05-23-2007, 07:14 PM
I think it is alot faster than BTMRR and has a couple of steep drops, plus the backwards section. I get car sick very easy, but I rode this with no problem. My stomach did a couple of flops but it didn't make me sick. I can't wait to go back and ride it again.:mickey:

Dawnzy
05-24-2007, 06:45 PM
I suffer from some motion sickness so I was real nervous about the backward part of EE. I made sure to keep my head forward and focused in front of me. It seemed to work, it was quite the rush but no dizzy or sick feeling at all (I wanted to ride it again as soon as we got off) EE is also a very smooth rollercoaster, I'm a big fan of it:thumbsup:

Tygger7
05-24-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm terrified of heights, and don't care for roller coasters....but I love BTMR, and Expedition Everest. My husband gets motion sickness, and I just plain get sick from being nervous, and both of us were fine on EE. As others have said, I would definitely give it a try...maybe ride at the end of the day so that if it does bother you, you can just head back to your hotel. It's just too awesome to miss...especially the yeti!:chewy: !

MinnieMommie
05-24-2007, 07:20 PM
I just want to add to teh others by offering that EE is a much smoother ride than BTMR. I am not a ride person but really love both of these rides. The stats make EE faster, steeper, etc than BTMR but since it is so smooth the sensations are in a sense easier to handle if drops and such bother you. :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
05-24-2007, 09:22 PM
I can't wait to compare :D

PirateLover
05-24-2007, 10:35 PM
I guess I am the dissenting voice who actually finds EE to be a little rough. I also find the seats very uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong I still thoroughly enjoyed the ride, but it was nowhere near as smooth of a ride as I expected it to be. Maybe it depends on where you sit???

*I should add that I am a huge roller coaster buff as is my bf. He was also surprised by how rough it was.

TheMartellFamily
05-25-2007, 09:25 AM
I think for me it is the backward moving in the ride that gets me a little shakey. I have done it twice and felt the same way twice and know that I do not need to do it again. I thnk if you have some problems with motion sickness then you may want to think about it. It moves backwards in fast speed and goes in a circle at the same time. that can get many people a little sick. My opinion is that I felt alittle ucky after I will not do the ride again.

MarkC
05-25-2007, 11:01 AM
I agree with the prior post about EE being smooth. It is probably the smoothest roller coaster I've ever been on-- much smoother than BTMR. If you can ride BTMR, you can ride EE with no problem. BTMR shakes me around a lot more, and for a tall person like myself the seats at EE are much more comfortable.

Lorraine444
05-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Wished I hadn't read all this information on EE!!!!!!
This August will be my first time doing it, and I have to say just by the looks & height of it I am praying I can actually get myself to go it!!!!!

jefmblrd
05-25-2007, 12:16 PM
I find EE to be much more intense than BTMR. The ride on EE is smoother, but it's also faster and it goes backwards-which can be a bit disorientating to some people. I was a little dizzy after getting off EE and elected not to ride a second time. My wife had no problems and went back on a few more times during our trip. I watched from the viewing area which is a great place to get a sense of what the ride might be like. I wouldn't put the two rides in the same league at all.

Stu29573
05-25-2007, 01:07 PM
From what I hear (no, I haven't been on it) the issue with the dark section is that the G's you pull going through a tight turn actually make you feel like you're going upside down. Since you have no point of reference, the sensation can be quite strong. I HAVE seen the ride videos and it looks interesting, but I'm not sure if I'm going to chance it (big time motion sickness- rode RnRC twice but never again)
Just MHO, for what it's worth....

ledudes
05-25-2007, 02:59 PM
I've been wondering the same thing, but after reading this I still can't decide. I love thunder mt and I've done teh Aerosmith one, but I'm nervous about EE.

Squeaky Mouse
05-25-2007, 06:04 PM
EE makes me motion sick but the other coasters at WDW do not. That being said, I still ride it and love it!!! I just plan on some down time with a sweet drink afterwards.

Chayes_019
09-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Hi, for those who have experienced nausea with this ride did you take Dramamine before (like I plan on doing)?

#1donaldfan
09-25-2014, 11:51 AM
It's very smooth and no loops or corkscrews. It's a fun ride, very tame and not fast at all really.:mickey:

Kenny1113
09-25-2014, 12:32 PM
I really enjoy this ride.

Several years ago prior to riding EE, I made the mistake of telling DFIL that this ride had to be similar to BTMRR (because it has a long train, the drops couldn't be that bad). He is not a roller coaster fan and we actually have a pic of him looking just like :sick:

I agree with previous posters that EE does seem to be faster and does have larger drops. IMHO the Gs are one of the best parts of the ride. :)

TheVBs
09-26-2014, 12:28 PM
I love BTMRR!! :mickey:

I have motion sickness issues too, and have been on EE once. I did not get motion sick, but I felt that it was a much more intense ride than BTMRR. I was definitely shaky when I got off. I have no desire to do it again!

MrPeetrie
09-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Wished I hadn't read all this information on EE!!!!!!
This August will be my first time doing it, and I have to say just by the looks & height of it I am praying I can actually get myself to go it!!!!!

I have to be honest here: take away the mountain, Disco Yeti, and the backward section, and the actual rollercoaster portion of this ride is very tame (and smooth) in my opinion. On its own, it's not much more than a Jr. ride and I'd probably only ride it once. Ever.

That said, with all the extras, as well as one of the best queues in Disney, and this becomes as must-do attraction every visit. I only wish I could have seen the Yeti in his full glory. Never was that lucky.

Regarding the motion sickness, my wife is susceptible and cannot ride this. She cannot read a book in a moving car either to give you some idea of her severity. She becomes nausiated and nearly threw up the last time she rode it. You'll have to gauge your severity for yourself.

The reverse section is a mild reverse helix, but since it's in the dark, it can be disorienting. The G-Forces are not routinely experienced in every-day life

The ride itself is extremely smooth. Great track and vehicle design.

Good luck. Let us know how you liked it.

Terra
09-26-2014, 07:25 PM
I have terrible motions sickness and I have great luck with non drowsy dramamine or Bonine.

It's really cool to read how everyone interprets an attraction.
I think EE is not smooth and more intense than BTMRR. That said, I do adore both rides!

ransam
09-27-2014, 03:57 AM
The EE made me very dizzy. I had no problems with BTRR

mydisneygirls
10-01-2014, 11:46 AM
I can ride BTMMR a million times but I rode EE once and will never again. It made me so naseous and dizzy had to go back to the room for a while. I can't ride anything that loops or goes in circles so I thought I was safe with EE ---- until it went backwards.