PDA

View Full Version : Safest Way To Clean Vintage Costume Jewelry?

ldn324
05-23-2007, 12:17 PM
You guys always have all the right answers :thumbsup: so I figured I'd ask this question.

I have some costume jewelry that I recently got from an estate. It's been packed away for some time now and has a dirty film on it and the smell of mothballs. What's the best way to clean it and get the icky smell out? It's a little combination of stuff - rhinestones, plastic beads, pearls (not sure if they are real or not - probably not) and metal. Should I soak it in something and, if so, what would be safe? I don't want any of the strings to weaken and break. It's not valuable at all, I just like the vintage look to it and will probably wear from time to time.

Thanks for your help!

Figgyluv03
05-23-2007, 12:53 PM
I would say soak them in a very mild soap and then slightly rub the dirty spots or the little nooks and crannies with a very soft too brush and then lay them out to dry.

SteveL
05-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Be careful about soaking them. You could find out, the hard, way, that some of the glue that was used is water soluable and you could have a lot of rhinestones to reset.
Been there, done that, got that tee shirt.

Lucille
05-23-2007, 01:06 PM
The above advice is good, I'd just like to add that you should be extra careful with the faux pearls, they tend to flake. Also consider that the strings that hold the jewelry together may be what is holding in the mothball smell.

If there are a few pieces you really like and plan to wear, consider having them restrung. The string can get quite brittle and give way at the worst moments. It is a lot easier to do it now, than when you have spent an hour picking up all the little pieces and it is in a ziploc bag.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-28-2007, 12:46 AM
Even though I work in a jewelry store part time, I don't know the answer to this. But maybe try putting them in a plastic bag with baking soda and gently shaking it will get rid of the musty smell. I wouldn't soak them in anything liquid though.