PDA

View Full Version : Other Hotels- Newbie

Lulie
05-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the DL boards but have used the WDW boards a ton! We have visited WDW many times (mostly because we used to live in FL) but this summer we are visiting San Diego and want to do a day or two at DL.

Here are my questions...
What iff site hotels would you suggest?
Is two days enough to see most of the park?

Thanks!

BelleBeauty
05-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Good idea to see DL! My boyfriend is originally from San Diego and during our last two trips he has surprised me with DL for the day.

I can't suggest off-site hotels, however I'm sure you will get suggestions soon. However, my input is that two days is more than enough. All of us WDW buffs can't understand how you can do a park in one day - but you can here. Start early and finish late.

I still have been to CA, however I think that it is probably a half-day or 3/4 day park. 2 days is the perfect amount of time to see DL. It is amazing to see the similarities and differences, and also just to see where Disney magic was born. Enjoy! :mickey:

ChipDale
05-23-2007, 04:53 PM
The Fairfield Inn by Marriott is right across the street from Disneyland Park and is just a 10-minute walk to the front gate. We've stayed there twice and both stays were very pleasant. The rooms are a decent size (and very clean), the staff is friendly and if you get a park view room you can watch the fireworks. :)

Two days is the minimum I would suggest in the summer. The parks will be crowded but if you get to the gate well before opening (45 minutes) you should be able to do quite a few attractions before the crowds really become unbearable. Saturdays are the worst day to visit crowd-wise, stick to Tuesday - Thursday if you can. You do have longer park hours going for you in the summer, so that's a plus.

ddcrna
05-25-2007, 07:57 PM
The Anaheim Residence Inn by Marriott is also right across the street - on Clementine Ave. You get free hot breakfast and free shuttle to DL/CA. They also have a free social hour with food/drinks Mon - Thurs. Great Value!!

Disneyluvr2
05-26-2007, 05:08 PM
During the summer I would plan an extra day if you can. It will be crowded and three days will allow you to slow down and take your time and not run like a crazy person from ride to ride. It will also allow you time to see all the parades, shows and fireworks. With only two days during the summer you're going to have to pick and choose what you really want to do. Three days will also allow for an extra churro or two!:D

There are several hotels directly across the street from the main entrance. We always stay at Park Vue Inn. You can also try Park Place Inn, Desert Inn & Suites and the Tropicana if you're looking for some place close. Sure makes it nice if you want to run back to your room for a jacket or drop of your bags and no need to wait around for a shuttle!

teamblackwell
05-28-2007, 11:03 PM
hi all,
Last time I was there, we stayed at the Paradise Pier Hotel on propery. I was unimpressed with this hotel. It was clean and comfortable, but we could have stayed off-property for about half the price. And some of the off-property hotels are almost just as close to the MK as the PP hotel. I'm thinking about staying at the Best Western Anaheim Inn. Anybody have feedback on that hotel?
See ya in the World,
Teamblackwell

autumn
05-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Desert Inn and Suites has been fine for me. I've stayed there three times, and the rooms are clean and sizeable. Don't get a king suite, though - the room is divided by a weird shower door (bizarre). They have an extended free breakfast with views of California Adventure.

I also have heard the Howard Johnson is great. I am from the midwest originally, where a Ho-Jo chain went out of business a long time ago, but everyone I know here in LA loves the Disneyland Ho-Jo. I finally looked it up online and saw it has some great features, including cool, mid-century design and interesting rooms. I have heard nothing but praise. It's alo very, very close.

I would think about an extra day for the parks in the summer. You could see both parks in two days, but it wouldn't be relaxing. The summer crowds are very heavy - heavier than WDW during peak times - and they don't move very well since the park was not designed with the knowledge and experience that went into WDW. It can get really frustrating, even. I would spread it out over three days.

little disney lovers
06-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Hi there, Our first trip we let the tarvel agent book our accom. Bad move, She booked us at the Sheraton on Days Road, I think? It lokked very close (walking distance) on the map. It wasn't, We had to do the bus thing! It made the day longer, more tiring and everyone was grumpy. Our second trip I knew the area and booked at the Marriot, Fairfield Inn. PERFECT, reasonably cheap, right across the road (5 minutes to D/L entrance) and so many food choices all within 5 minutes walking. It's right next to McDonalds, We stopped in for a cheap, quick breakfast every morning!
And the rooms were clean and cheery with TV, Fridge and veiws of the fireworks.
The pool is quite exposed though in the front of the hotel, soft of in the parking lot, I think It's so you can sit in the pool / hot tub and watch the fireworks.
Hope this helps, have fun.

Cinderella_68
06-03-2007, 01:33 AM
Our current favorites for off-site are the Hyatt Regency OC, and the Anaheim Hilton. I don't mind sacrificing walking-distance for a Starbucks in the lobby and full room service. Both have a shuttle to the parks which is very convenient, the Hilton actually uses the ART shuttle system. Very inexpensive.

Melanie
06-03-2007, 05:16 AM
Our second trip I knew the area and booked at the Marriot, Fairfield Inn. PERFECT, reasonably cheap, right across the road (5 minutes to D/L entrance) and so many food choices all within 5 minutes walking.

We are staying here next week. My first time off-site, and it comes highly recommended. Glad to see you were pleased as well!

happydisneygirl
06-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Hi we stayed at the fairfield Inn by Marriott, it is really close( Probably within the top 5 for closest to park). We just went for our first DL trip after many WDW trips and I liked it. Everything seems closer to get to and that was nice for a quick trip. There are a few hotels within walking distance but unless something else was just a super deal I would for sure stay at the fairfield ( it has nice cozy pillows and was a very clean comfortable room) ( We paid $129 per night for the disney view and it was definetly worth that). I walked throught the Disney Grand Californian Hotel it looked really nice and is a great location. Also the hotel next to the fairfield was cute on the outside but I don't know it it is as nice inside.

As far as comparing it to wdw, somethings are a tad disappointing but others suprisingly good. I really enjoyed the Aladdin show. Storybook canal boats waste of time,( they don't say much of a story) lines move sooo slow and if you have done the Casey jr circus train you have already seen it all.
As to the other question, We did most of the parks in two days but we skipped somethings because they had the same at wdw in retrospect another day would have been better as some rides are a bit different and I would have liked to have done them all!

LibertyTreeGal
06-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Despite rave reviews from the Unofficial Guide, I was not terribly thrilled with the Anabella concierge, which was one of our few options because we had five people. We booked it through Disney travel and I wish we had done Magical Journeys instead. You might want to check with them and see what they recommend :mickey:

scoot241
06-09-2007, 03:22 AM
Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel was a pretty good hotel. The desk was always helpful and the room was always cleaned well. The comforter and the valence could use an update as they're not very pleasing to the eye in my opinion (but they were clean). The back of the hotel (the multistory building) is near the freeway, so there is some freeway noise, but we were always so tired at the end of the night that it never bothered us. It's about a 7 minute walk from the hotel to DL, and it's also on route B of Anaheim Resort Transportation. One of the few things that surprised me was that there is no restaurant or any sort of breakfast. All in all, it was a pleasant experience at a decent price.

I recommend three days at the DL parks. One day to concentrate on each park, and the third day can be used to re-ride or catch things you didn't get to on the first two days. Also, depending on the opening and closing times of the two parks, you can get some extra evening time at DL if DCA closes early.

grego77
06-09-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm staying at the Ramada Inn Maingate when I fly out there next Friday...VERY cheap, continental breakfast every morning, and RIGHT across the street from the parks. I will let you know how it was! :mickey:

doombuggy
06-26-2007, 01:49 PM
We stayed at the Desert Inn & Suites last summer and it was great. It was a shorter walk than 2 of the 3 Disney hotels, and a bit cheaper. Clean & close, I would stay there again.

Disneyland is different from WDW, but I don't mean that in a negative way. To each his own, but have a great trip!

grego77
06-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Ramada Inn Maingate was great. Very cheap:thumbsup:, and less then 2min walk from the parks. The staff were very friendly, and there was continental breakfast every morning. We also got a LOT of coupons for discounts in the Anaheim area...very good deals! The room was fine, not anything amazing, but definitely not dumpy.

I would and probably will stay there again next time I go...as I feel the prices for the DL hotels are way too high, and when you can walk off property easily, why not do it?!?! :mickey:

In regards to days to stay, 3-4 nights is IDEAL. You can get by with 2 full days and one half day, but I did 3 full day and one half day and it was PERFECT! I went from Fri-Mon, but took a red-eye flight back on Monday night, so I had a full day Monday as well to relax and take a much slower pace.