PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but I really need to vent

weswerx
05-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Hey guys, sorry to have to do this because this is such a fun and happy place online, but I just had a really horrible day at work and I might feel a little better if I vented some.
Today was going to be a great day today. We just finished selling balloons to help raise money for CMN (Children's Miracle Network) and out of our region our store came in fourth in sales. We had three large stores take the top three places and then we are one of the smallest stores (with a new manager) and we came out in fourth (out of 29 stores) so I was excited. I felt really great that our team was able to come together and actually achieve something as great and as meaningful as this. I have been keeping tabs for each individual at the store for the past seven weeks, trying to encourage them to keep doing a great and one lady (the one that nobody liked) really excelled. Our store goal was to sell 600 balloons. She alone sold over 800! Overall, we sold over 2000 balloons, so you can see why I am excited.
I wanted to do something special for her and everyone else for doing such a great job. So, today, I bought a party platter for lunch and some gift bags for everyone, even those who did not participate. Because she seriously outsold everyone else and really came alive, I wanted to get her a little something extra, so I got her a larger bag with extra goodies in it.
Well, I picked up the lunch tray and decided to let the morning cashier take a break and have the first go at it and also to get her goodie bag. I'm watching the front starving, but trying to let them have their moment. About 30 minutes later this cashier comes up to me and says she doesn't appreciate getting such a little gift bag when the other girl got more stuff! :eek:
Excuse me! I told her that I wanted to reward and encourage the other girl, hoping that she keeps up the great work from here on out, but this lady was just plain ugly to me. I told I didn't have to get anyone anything and I did it as a way of saying thank you to everyone. She gladly ate the free lunch but decide to show her true colors by giving back the gift bag.
I'm sorry, but her attitude was just plain wrong, selfish, childish, rude and actually jealous.
She's one of those people who does stuff to be seen. She goes to one of the local mega-churches so she can socialize, gossip and gloat about going to such a large church. She's told me many times that going to my small church just isn't good enough and that I'll be going to "somewhere." She's always criticizing the other staff, especially the one that showed her up in balloon sales.
So, what started out as being a fun filled day turned ugly all because of one selfsh, ungrateful person.
Ok, sorry about that super long rant, but I do feel kinda better now. I'll feel even better if I can get her to quit. :plot: I even bet morale at work will skyrocket!
Thanks for listening!:soapbox:

snifflesmcg
05-23-2007, 12:47 AM
You'd be alot happier if you did get her to quit. How horrible of a person can you be?? She should be congratulating her co-worker. At the very least she could keep her mouth shut. I can't stand people like that.

mrsgaribaldi
05-23-2007, 01:47 AM
Don't let her ruin your good feelings, that's what she wants to do. Tell her tomorrow with a smile that maybe if she works harder next year, she might be the one to get the big bag of stuff. Then calmly walk away smiling. As long as the woman who sold the most was happy and you are happy, that's all that matters:thumbsup: :mickey:

Lehman Family
05-23-2007, 07:27 AM
I agree with mrsgaribaldi. I think she should know that the other person got the bigger bag because she sold almost half of what the whole store did together. I think it's a great thing you did. I'm going to leave it at that or I'd have to start a rant of my own about people like that.

dizne4me
05-23-2007, 07:54 AM
You know, it always amazes me how rude people can be. I just can't even imagine saying anything that cruel to anyone who has just done something so thoughtful as to bring in food and gifts. When someone says something rude to me - I wear it inside for awhile and feel like I did something unfair and wrong - but after awhile - I finally realize that I didn't do anything wrong and that person is just misierable anyway and wants to spread her negativity. Don't let her change your ways

hoop de do
05-23-2007, 08:10 AM
You did a great thing for your co-workers. I'm sure I would have been taken back also but remember I'm sure the rest of your co-workers enjoyed your gesture very much. Also, she should know that GOD is the same size in a little church as HE is in a large one. Keep up your great work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not2Loud
05-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Congratulations on a great raise for a great cause!!

On the church part, I go to a "mega-church" here in Atlanta, not because it is MEGA, but because it truly gives me what I need from a church. Church isn't about anything other than finding a way to grow closer to HIM.

On the employee, don't let it get you down. We all have those type employees or family members....so focus on the good and think about going to the WDW sometime soon! :mickey:

SBETigg
05-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Congratulations on your super accomplishment and how great of you to show appreciation to your team, and especially to the star performer on the task! The person who complained is not only immature, but very unprofessional, and she is showing an attitude that will prohibit her from making progress through life. I'm sorry that had to happen, but do not let her get you down and I hope it reflects in her future performance reviews. Again, congratulations, and enjoy your celebration of a job well done! The CMN is a wonderful cause and you've helped a lot of kids. It's all about the cause.

kaylamag
05-23-2007, 08:30 AM
I know exactly how you feel. At my store we used to have balloon selling competions, and boy did they get ugly. We had a few cashiers that would really try to sell the balloons. There was one cashier that some of the other cashiers didn't really like so when they did sell a balloon they would give it to one of the other cashiers that was selling just so she could beat her in the competion. We learned our lesson. Now when each cashier comes in for the day, we give them 5 balloons to sell. I try to guilt them into selling them, saying "If you don't want to sell 5 balloons to help sick defensless children then thats something that your going to have to live with!" We still have people that won't even try though!

disneydrmr
05-23-2007, 10:01 AM
You did a great thing for your co-workers. I'm sure I would have been taken back also but remember I'm sure the rest of your co-workers enjoyed your gesture very much. Also, she should know that GOD is the same size in a little church as HE is in a large one. Keep up your great work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:ditto: I tell you what - if I wasn't already a Christian and was trying to decide if I wanted to become one and what church to attend.. if this lady was the only example I had - I would NEVER become a Christian and I would NEVER want to attend her church. She may be the only bible someone will see. Anyway - what you did was wonderful! And I am sorry the joy of the day was lessened by this one bad apple. I attend a very small church.. always have... and well, maybe you need to remind her that Jesus Himself said that where TWO or THREE are gathered He is in the midst....

drummerboy
05-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Then calmly walk away smiling.
That's right. Just keep smiling; they'll never know what you're up to. (note smile
---> :thedolls: )

Often, people who act ugly expect you to return the ugliness, then they feel justified in how they acted. If you truly turn the other cheek and respond with a smile, it disarms them and leaves them confused. (Something I preach less than practice, unfortunately--it's reeeeealllllly hard to supress that immediate reaction.)

biodtl
05-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Wow, what a sad, ugly woman. I actually feel a little bad for people like that because they have no idea of the joys in life. The sense of entitlement, the jealousy, etc completely keep them from enjoying life. And the fact is - no one was owed anything. You did something nice because you believed in the cause you were supporting (and great job, BTW), but seriously - supporting the cause so well was a reward in itself. I don't blame you for needing to vent!

Cinderelley
05-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Just remember, she will get her reward some day. It will be too late to turn back then, and I would hate to be the one trying to explain that type of behavior to the Man Upstairs.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Congratulations on doing such a great fund raiser. And to yourself for wanting to reward your coworkers.
As far as Miss Nasty Pants, if you let her get you down, you are giving her power over you.
If she wants to act so small, that's her cross to bear. You should not let her get to you.
As far as helping her quit, well if she feels that she has no friends there, that might give her incentive to leave. You should all band together to help her feel unwelcome, without actually doing or saying anything mean.

Mr. Tom Morrow
05-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Congratulations to you and your team on your accomplishment:thumbsup:

As far as your upset co-worker.... Some people Wes....Some people.

mtown71
05-28-2007, 11:51 AM
As far as Miss Nasty Pants, if you let her get you down, you are giving her power over you.
If she wants to act so small, that's her cross to bear. You should not let her get to you.
As far as helping her quit, well if she feels that she has no friends there, that might give her incentive to leave. You should all band together to help her feel unwelcome, without actually doing or saying anything mean.

Sorry...I laughed when I read the Miss Nasty Pants. Anyway......Wes, congrats to you & your store on that major accomplishment. You should be proud of yourself & the staff. That is wonderful! I don't agree with banding together & helping her feel unwelcome. That is sinking to her level. I think you are a better person than that. About the one bad apple, from one supervisor to another, you can remember her actions during her appraisal or annual raise. (do you have those?) Her attitude falls under a performance issue & if you work the right angle, it can lead to a dismissal. Trust me, we have done this at my workplace. I agree with everyone else...don't let this poor excuse for a Christian get you down. She will have to answer to God in the end.