PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Green

Genie1953
05-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Has anyone stayed at Shades of Green? How did you like it? Any tips.......??

BronxTigger
05-23-2007, 06:00 AM
I've stayed there. It's nice.

Here (http://travel.webshots.com/album/558501382rQIlcj)are my photos from SOG.

The best things about it are the price, the location (if you miss the bus, you can walk to the Poly), and the size of the rooms. Also, there are several on-site restaurants with very reasonable prices.

disneydaisy
05-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Take a look at the "Value versus SOG" thread that was recently posted. A lot of responses regarding SOG. The majority good, one had nothing good to say about it. I personally stayed there and loved it. The price is also unbeatable. I pay more to stay in a hotel at one of our local tourist towns in MI. We are going back in October and can't wait.

ginger19
05-23-2007, 07:31 AM
I have a friend who's staying there right now. We have always avoided it but she said the rooms are a good size and she's very comfortable. She said the room is a very basic room but that she would definitely recommend it.

mudpuppysmom
05-23-2007, 01:12 PM
We just returned last Wednesday night and we stayed there all but one night. We even had to add an additional night due to a mix up in our family plans and they were able to get us in the morning we called.

The ONLY real negative I can pick on is the busses. I do not like them at all -- they are just not on the same par as DIsney busses IMHO. I've tried to use them and I don't have the patience to wait for them, thus we always rent a car.

If you do have a car and plan to drive each day try to stay on the new side of the resort (closer to the garage) and on the 3rd floor or above, then you won't even have to take the elevator (1st and 2nd floors are for valet parking in the garage -- oh, and the 5th floor parks in the open, not covered garage area).

I've stayed at other resorts and feel at home at SOG. I know where I'm going, how to get in and out and where to eat when I'm there -- I'm comfortable there, that is why I stay there.

Bruegge
05-23-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm staying at SOG next week and while I've been to the Poly and CR I'm prepared for a little let down.

The room size is 480sq ft. Poly or GF (I dont' remember which hotel)had 412. so it is a big room.

The AK and MGM busses run every hour... like clockwork I hear...but if you miss one you can catch a bus back to the Poly and walk to the hotel or catch a bus to the TTC and catch a short bus ride (every 15 min.) back to the SOG.

Epcot you just take the every 15minute ride to the TTC and catch the monorail.

They have a small shuttle that runs from the end of the driveway to the hotel door... a golf cart thing... then you can walk across Poly's parking lot and catch the Monorail to MK.

I heard good things about the food... Not great.... a basic breakfast buffet .... for $8.95 is a steal on disney propery (if it's any good) I'll let you know.

We arrive late the first nite and are just going to eat a Mangino's. The menu sounds good.. I'll let you know also.

Scott

Marilyn Michetti
05-23-2007, 08:33 PM
All of the above, (the good stuff), plus one comment. You don't even have to WALK to the Poly. If you're tired, the golf cart will take you to the road at the end of the lane.

I LOVE SOG. We don't have children with us, so it's kind of a neat break from the Disney theme. I think the room are exceptionally tailored for comfort, and yes, they're big. Price is unbeatable, and the buffet?? Typical food, cheap, and filling.

If you qualify, you'll find it's a nice surprise.:thumbsup:

kakn7294
05-23-2007, 08:41 PM
My sister has stayed here and the only thing she didn't like was that they don't participate in the DDP which she likes. My BIL (same sister's DH) says that the only way he'll go back to Disney is to stay at SoG (but sis says otherwise so we'll see who wins that one eventually! :D ).

JohnnyJayhawk
05-23-2007, 09:43 PM
As I said in the afore-mentioned post on Values vs. SOG:

I'll echo the above sentiments. We love SOG. Highlights for us are:

-Two queen beds
-Close to monorail
-Big rooms and bathrooms
-Good and cheap breakfast buffet
-Great price

We just got back from staying at CBR, and while it was very nice, we like SOG much better. SOG definitely beats any of the values hands down.

BrerSchultzy
05-24-2007, 10:35 AM
We will only stay at SoG now...if you qualify, there is no reason not to. Sure, the "Disney" feel isn't quite there, but you get that everywhere else...and if you miss the refillable mugs and the monorail, well...just walk to the Poly. In the morning, the walk flies by, because you're so excited, and at night, it's a great calming way to wind down.

Besides, the buses are SOOO much better than the buses at the Disney resorts...sure, they don't look as nice, but they have a VERY reliable schedule...you know when they'll be there and where they're going, every time.

And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the ridiculously inexpensive Room Service menu. I have NEVER seen room service menus that cheap. That was a great surprise.

Marilyn Michetti
05-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Oh, I forgot about the room service, but yes, it's the best priced anywhere. Also, the sports bar, for after hours has gotten much better than it used to be. The tennis players are still upside down on the ceiling. They've been there forever.:tennis:

skisurf2
05-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Just back, buses are very crowded, they really need more buses. Forget room request, just won't happen. Food has went downhill at the sports bar, but very good elsewhere. Outstanding resort overall... Can't beat the price.

ryca1dreams
05-24-2007, 11:03 PM
I only stayed at SOG in 1995 for my honeymoon and we loved it. Everything everyone has said. Mostly the rooms were large and nice. I'm pretty sure we walked to the Poly at least once to catch a monorail - no difference than walking from a distant Disney resort room to catch a bus.

I wish I could still qualify to stay there.

Tigger's Mom
05-26-2007, 07:31 AM
I can't say enough positive things about the resort. I just returned from a trip last week, my second in 5 months, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel is great. I even resereved rooms for my sister and brother-in-law and parents this time and they've forbidden me to quite my job, ever. My brother-in-law is extremely picky about hotels and was completely impressed by how clean this one was. The bus schedule is sometimes inconvenient, but I've waited at the Contemporary and Grand Floridian for quite a while for buses too. More often than not we'd walk to the Poly and either use their monorail stop or continue on to the TTC. Was is long? Yes (not ridiculous though), but if sitting still bothers you, it's an alternative. For those that complain about the walk to the room from the bus stop, I think all of the resorts have that. Having walked through the Poly grounds some of their buildings are quite a distance from the Ceremonnial House or the TTC. Needless to say, for the size of the room, the location and the price, we'll be back again (often I hope)!