PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV filmed at MGM park?

DakotaDisney
05-22-2007, 06:52 PM
I visited MGM for the first time this year and I was trying to remember from when the park first opened and having seen it on TV shows, etc. and from what CM's say at the park.

Has any movie really done any actual filming at the park? Or how about TV shows other than the ABC sitcom episode when they visit WDW?

I don't think movies/TV do anymore, but have there been in the past?

DizneyRox
05-22-2007, 08:33 PM
I remember seeing sets for some shows, back when the Backlot Tour was worth seeing. I forget what they were now. Something seems familiar about a Mortal Kombat type movie. I think I also saw some sets for some cooking shows as well. These were all in the soundstages along Mickey Avenue.

It's been a long time since it's been used for a lot of real productions I believe. They did a few Who Want's To Be A Millionaire episodes fairly recently. Other than that, I'm not really sure.

DakotaDisney
05-23-2007, 11:44 AM
When I went on the backlot tour the CM talked about it like it was a working studio and he said something about a movie that was partially filmed there. But I wasn't sure if that was just part of the illusion or if it was true, because there wasn't much on the back lot tour other than old props from movies.

baby minnie's mommy
05-23-2007, 11:54 AM
When we were on the backlot tour in 2004 they had part of it closed due to creating the stunt show, but they said they also had been working on part of M. Night Shaymalan's "The Village." Don't know what part, though. There was another one, too, but I can't remember what.

Zippy_D_DooDah
05-23-2007, 12:34 PM
From Wkipedia.org:

"The Walt Disney Company's original concept of the Disney-MGM Studios was to operate it as a full fledged television and motion picture production facility, not just a theme park. When Disney-MGM opened in 1989, the studio/production facilities housed two major components, the first of which was Walt Disney Feature Animation Florida, where Disney produced a number of projects, including Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, Brother Bear, and sequences from other 1990s-early 2000s Disney animated features. The second, larger, component was Walt Disney Studios Florida, which consisted of three soundstages used for various Disney projects including The Disney Channel's Mickey Mouse Club and Adventures in Wonderland. Several third party productions also used the Studios, including Superboy (first season only, from 1988-1989), Thunder in Paradise, one season of Let's Make a Deal, special broadcasts of Wheel of Fortune and airplane interior sequences for the feature film Passenger 57. In addition, a number of music videos and several tapings for World Championship Wrestling were also shot there. Even The Post Group had a Florida-based post-production facility located on the Studio lot throughout the 1990s. All these production and post-production facilities were constructed to be an integral part of the theme park's Backstage Studio Tour as well.

During the closing credits of the Mickey Mouse Club (later, MMC in its final seasons) and Adventures in Wonderland, the lit Disney-MGM water tower appeared on the screen and one of the cast said, "(insert show title here) was taped at the Disney-MGM Studios at the Walt Disney Resort in Orlando, Florida." Disney management (including CEO Michael Eisner) decided to downsize Disney's Florida operations by closing the animation studio, laying-off personnel and then moving the operations to the main animation studio in Burbank, California."

Speedy1998
05-23-2007, 12:37 PM
I know they used the part that was removed for the Stunt show to film the opening sequence for the Golden Girls. It was one of DW's favorite shows, so she made me take a picture of the Golden Girl's House when the backlot tour went by it.

snifflesmcg
05-23-2007, 12:41 PM
If you would have seen the residential section of the Backlot Tour, you would have seen some things from tv shows. This offered the house from the Ernest movies (ie; Ernest goes to Camp) the house from Empty Nest and MY personal FAVORITE the Golden Girl house. The outsides of these houses were shot and the interiors in California. However, they tore down the residential section to make way for the Lights Motor Action stunt show.:( I almost cried my eyes out when I found out I wouldn't be getting a picture with me and the golden girl house in the background.....it's one of my favorite shows.

Figgyluv03
05-23-2007, 12:43 PM
The Tower of Terror movie with Steve Gootenburg (sp?) and Kirsten Dunst was filmed on the actual ride and yes, Thurder in Paradise was shot at the studios. There is a pool to the left as you are starting the tour that they shot alot of underwater scenes there.

bleukarma
05-24-2007, 10:58 AM
The Golden Girls house isn’t there anymore??!!! How did I miss that when I was there in November?!! I loved seeing the Golden Girls house!!!!!

I was there a few years ago and they were shooting a commercial with Shaq (or some other basketball player) in it. Very cool!

January-2007
05-24-2007, 12:53 PM
The Tower of Terror movie with Steve Gootenburg (sp?) and Kirsten Dunst was filmed on the actual ride

Neat! That makes it even cooler! I remember watching that movie on tv when it first came out, and I loved the ride too!

CM~Mserrano
05-24-2007, 02:52 PM
When they still had Who wants to be a millionaire at the studios I was in the audience for one of the real shows for TV with Meredith Viera. I caught a T-shirt they were throwing into the crowds. It was fun!

Stu29573
05-24-2007, 03:39 PM
I think it's sad that it isn't a real studio any more. I can remember doing the animation tour and seeing them working on Milan (yes, it was a while ago) Now there's nothing like that going on.... If you want thrill rides and stunt shows, you can go to Six Flags, for Pete's sake!

SoaringEpcot
05-24-2007, 04:36 PM
I think the TV show Shena was filed there as well. It was a about a woman who could turn into animals.

snifflesmcg
05-24-2007, 08:18 PM
The Golden Girls house isn’t there anymore??!!! How did I miss that when I was there in November?!! I loved seeing the Golden Girls house!!!!!

I know I know!:mad:

Picture this....I was there March of 2003 and took my last picture (not that I knew this at the time) of my most beloved home. I went back in Sept 2005 and asked my sister to get the camera ready so I could get the house in the background. We went thru the ride and then.........it ended.....without seeing the house. I immediately went to one of the CM's who told me that they had tore it down. Pure devestation!!!!