PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for my first trip!

Mandalorian30
05-22-2007, 05:31 PM
My girlfriend and I have started planning a trip to California next year. While there, we'll be visitng Disneyland for the first time! We're both really excited!

As of right now, we haven't decided if we're going to be staying in a DL Hotel, or offsite. We still have quite a ways to go, so as time draws near, we're just going to be weighing the options.

Any good advice anyone wants to throw my way to help with the planning?

Edit: My mistake...this thread should probably be in the Vacation Planning forum. Feel free to move it for me mods. My apologies!

tinkwest
05-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Right you are! Vacation Planning is the ideal forum for you. Make sure your seat belt is fastened and off we go!

Ok . . . here we are.

If you can swing a stay at the DLH I think that would be a bonus to your vacation. You just feel so much more AT Disneyland when you stay there. Since you never have to leave the Resort property you feel more removed from the outside world.

Mommytink20
05-26-2007, 11:39 PM
I agree! Disneyland hotel all the way!! There is just something special about it. Great Character dinning too- goofy's kitchen is a blast! (Even my DH, who doesn't really enjoy interacting has a great time, Baloo knocked off his hat (Purposly playing) I thought my DH would flip and he just smiled and high fived him! We are regulars here now! :mickey:) Have fun!

scoot241
06-05-2007, 01:01 AM
First, it's my opinion that three days in the parks are necessary for a full DLR experience. Had the crowds been heavier during our trip, we would have needed our third day to really finish riding everything we wanted. Also, especially during the light season, not all of the shows happen every day (especially the fireworks), so make sure you schedule a day where the fireworks and such are happening.

We stayed offsite at Disneyland, and while the onsite hotels are very nice (especially the Grand Californian... reminds me of Wilderness Lodge), I don't think they justify the price difference when there's decent lodging across the street. You're not gaining the same advantages you do in WDW by staying onsite. We had one of the slightly further hotels (the Howard Johnson on Harbor Blvd) and it was still only a 7 minute or so walk to the parks and Downtown Disney. You can still eat at the hotels if you'd like while saving a bit of cash on the rooms.

Steakhouse 55 (formerly Granville's... some of the directional signs even still say Granville's) had wonderful food. If you can get a reservation at Blue Bayou, I'd recommend it also. Dining inside PotC is a unique experience.

NotaGeek
06-05-2007, 02:37 AM
First, it's my opinion that three days in the parks are necessary for a full DLR experience. Had the crowds been heavier during our trip, we would have needed our third day to really finish riding everything we wanted. Also, especially during the light season, not all of the shows happen every day (especially the fireworks), so make sure you schedule a day where the fireworks and such are happening.

We stayed offsite at Disneyland, and while the onsite hotels are very nice (especially the Grand Californian... reminds me of Wilderness Lodge), I don't think they justify the price difference when there's decent lodging across the street. You're not gaining the same advantages you do in WDW by staying onsite. We had one of the slightly further hotels (the Howard Johnson on Harbor Blvd) and it was still only a 7 minute or so walk to the parks and Downtown Disney. You can still eat at the hotels if you'd like while saving a bit of cash on the rooms.

Steakhouse 55 (formerly Granville's... some of the directional signs even still say Granville's) had wonderful food. If you can get a reservation at Blue Bayou, I'd recommend it also. Dining inside PotC is a unique experience.

Sorry, I just don't agree. I have stayed at several of the hotels around Disneyland. My choice is ALWAYS the Disneyland Hotel first and foremost. If I can afford it on that specific trip, it's hands down DLH. There is NO comparing the feeling of staying on property with the motels around the property. And yes, most of them are motels, some nicer than others, but most have doors that open to the outside. If where you stay isn't as important, then definitely save the money and try the BW Park Place inn which is directly across the street from the main entrance. The rooms are huge, clean and a fraction of the cost of the DLR Hotels.

Don't forget, if you can do priority seating for Fantasmic!, Disney's version is totaly different and much more "in the middle of the show" than WDW!

Queen Stephanie
06-05-2007, 03:07 AM
You must stay on Disney property...:mickey:I promise you won't regret it. The Disneyland Hotel is really nice and close to both parks...my family loved it and the pool is great! I really found Disneyland to be a compact version of WDW...easy access to monorail, downtown, and 2 parks! Also, Disneyland has Fantasmic, so don't miss it. One more note...check out the synchronized water fountain with music show on Disneyland Hotel property...it is one of a kind. You can feel Walt himself walking around and inspecting the place! The Queen

little disney lovers
06-05-2007, 03:23 AM
If your budget permits, definately stay on site. There aren't really any benefits like at WDW, but just the atmosphere and feeling of being in another world, it's so worth it! We've never been able to stretch the budget that far so I'm going on my visits to the lobby and restaurants, tec.. and the feeling I get there, but my girlfriend always stays there and loved it! We have stayed directly across the road at some of the nicer hotels, all within walking distance. They are still OK, And hey, Any disneyland vacation is a good one.
I normally make my decision based on 3 things,
1, How many souveniars can I buy with the savings?
2, How much time will you spend in your room?
and 3, How many pairs of shoes can I buy with the savings?
Have fun!

tdhiatt
06-24-2007, 11:18 PM
:mickey:
It depends if you will be hanging out at the hotel a lot. If you want a great place to stay Disney hotel is it. We loved it. However its about $500 dollars more that across the street. We usually stay at the Best Western Park place inn. Its directly accros the street. ITs not the fanciest hotel, but convienient. The other thing is the dining. Across the street you have Dennys, Ihop, McDonalds, and more, and the Disney hotel you dont have so many options.

mjm12000
06-26-2007, 03:07 PM
For a first visit, if you truly want the full on experience I would highly recommend staying in one of the resort hotels, the Grand Californian is incredible, I stayed there on my first visit for 7 days in a Resort room view... it was magical. The benefit of staying on resort means early entry on everyday that it is offered instead of just one early entry. Also you are completely immersed in the Resort, so you feel like you are in a different world. I stayed at the Camelot hotel on my last trip which is right across from the Parks, and is a good neighboor hotel, it was nice, and close to the parks, but it wasn't the same as being in the resort.

The pools, the theming, the energy it is worth the few extra dollars. No matter what you choose you will be happy as Disneyland is truly the Happiest Place on Earth.

As for how many days, and when to go... I would say at least 3 days, but more is always better as you can redo things you love and take your time and shop and eat and soak up the atmosphere. I have never stayed for less than 7days myself, but you wouldn't need that long to do it all. I went in November last time just before Thanksgiving and the Christmas decor was up and the Christmas parade and fireworks... it was magic.

Oh and the one thing I would say is a must is the desert and priority seating for Fantasmic... so worth the $50 bucks, you get the best seats and endless deserts and hot chocolate and coffee, and you also get to be the envy of thousands of people who had to sit for 3 hours to get a good spot.