PDA

View Full Version : Attention Game Show Fans: TPIR Discussion Thread

dw2649
05-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Golden-Road.net, the most reliable source for all things The Price is Right, has confirmed that the final original episode of The Price is Right starring Bob Barker will air Friday, June 15th in it's regular time slot (11AM EST, 10AM CST/PST on CBS). The episode will then re-air later that day at 8PM EST/PST, 7PM CST on CBS as the lead-in to the Daytime Emmys.

As soon as I heard the Daytime Emmys were going to air Friday, June 15th on CBS I knew that Bob's final original episode of Price would air that day as well. I have a feeling that he is going to win for best game show host, which he deserves in my opinion.

Ian
05-22-2007, 06:10 PM
I've loved TPIR since I was a kid, staying home sick from school. It was, of course, the highlight of the day.

I watched the prime time specials they had on last week and I'll really miss Bob. He was incredible.

Jasper
05-22-2007, 06:31 PM
You can count me as another person who will certainly miss Bob Barker as the host of The Price is Right!! However, I am also reminded of the time that Johnny Carson left the tonight show; many people swore that the show would fall apart without Carson. However, the show has continued to be successful. Sure, the Tonight Show was different without Carson and the Price is Right will be different without Barker, but since the format of both shows is so very strong, they both can survive with new hosts and changes in style.

So, does anyone know when they are going to anounce Barker's replacement?

dw2649
05-22-2007, 07:17 PM
You can count me as another person who will certainly miss Bob Barker as the host of The Price is Right!! However, I am also reminded of the time that Johnny Carson left the tonight show; many people swore that the show would fall apart without Carson. However, the show has continued to be successful. Sure, the Tonight Show was different without Carson and the Price is Right will be different without Barker, but since the format of both shows is so very strong, they both can survive with new hosts and changes in style. Let us not forget that many people were saying that the show was going to fail back in 1972 when the daytime show premiered on CBS with Barker as host and not the original host of The Price is Right, Bill Cullen. Look how long of a run we got out of Bob.

So, does anyone know when they are going to anounce Barker's replacement?

I don't know when Fremantle Media North America (who produces the show for CBS) is going to announce Bob's replacement, but the final 3 in contention are George Hamilton (I heard he was quite good at the auditions as well as in TPIR Live around the country), Mark Steines (from Entertainment Tonight), and Todd Newton (I also heard good things about his audition and really good things about him hosting TPIR Live all around the country). I shall wait until September when the new host appears on the daytime show before I begin to pass judgement.

Hopefully whoever ends up taking over will get as long a run on the show as Barker has had.

d_m_n_n
05-23-2007, 09:07 AM
I am so :( that Bob Barker is retiring. I know the time has come, but I guess I'm being selfish. My mom and I used to sit down to lunch with TPIR and now I do that with my kids. As soon as DS5 hears the opening, he comes running in the kitchen and hops on his barstool.

Just remember, "Help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed of neutered." :D My task for today...figure out how many times I've heard Bob Barker say that during my life!!

Diznee4Me
05-24-2007, 09:29 AM
I used to watch it everyday in the summer with my Grandmother. I would have been outside since daybreak playing, come in from the heat for lunch and we would watch it together. Great memories.

Now my on DD watches it when she is home - or during the summer with her grandmother!:D

Thanks for the memories Bob!:number1:

ldn324
05-24-2007, 09:48 AM
I probably havent seen The Price is Right in about 25 years or so, but I sure do remember watching it with my grandmother when I was home from school sick. Sounds like that's a pretty popular memory ;) .

I guess I never watched that much lately for many reasons - mainly because I work during the day, but a little part of it may have been that I just took for granted that it would go on forever. Definitely the end of an era - and really the end of game shows as they used to be. The just don't put out shows like that anymore. Plus, as a huge animal advocate, I applaud Bob Barker for all the work he has done to save animals. In the immortal words of Mr. Bob Hope - "thanks for the memories", Bob!

dw2649
06-14-2007, 02:32 PM
bumping for tomorrow's Barker Finale of The Price is Right. Sad to think that this is almost over. We still do not know for sure who is going to be taking over, but the rumored names are still George Hamilton, Mark Steines, John O'hurly, and Todd Newton (my personal choice to take over the show as I think that he would do the best job, although I do not think that he will get the job).

NotaGeek
06-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Wow. I was expecting more for a last show.

PirateLover
06-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Well, he did have a special a month ago. And there are apparently more specials in the works. I can say as a loyal viewer that those were definitely some of the most expensive cars they've ever featured.

dw2649
06-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Apparently bob wanted it to be as normal a show as possibly. I think most die hard fans of the price is right will agree with me that this was the best way to end the show. Also, I don't know if you guys noticed, but the very last game played on friday's show, Any Number, was also the very first game played on The Price is Right starring Bob Barker when the show premiered back in 1972. So Bob's run on the show started and ended with the exact same game.

dolphinmickey9170
06-17-2007, 03:16 PM
And Bob is pushing for Rosie O'Donnell to be his replacement?!?!?! I just can't imagine. How interesting that would be.

NotaGeek
06-22-2007, 04:12 AM
Apparently bob wanted it to be as normal a show as possibly. I think most die hard fans of the price is right will agree with me that this was the best way to end the show. Also, I don't know if you guys noticed, but the very last game played on friday's show, Any Number, was also the very first game played on The Price is Right starring Bob Barker when the show premiered back in 1972. So Bob's run on the show started and ended with the exact same game.

I didn't notice that! I stopped watching a long time ago, but I would still love to play Plinko! What was the game? I can't remember and I deleted it from my TiVo, and I know that will be a Trivial Pursuit question sometime!

I think it would be great if Rosie was on the show! Her blog says she talked with them today (Thursday) ... I have feeling she just might get it. She has a HUGE fan base ... and she does love to give away prizes.

dw2649
06-22-2007, 04:22 AM
I think it would be great if Rosie was on the show! Her blog says she talked with them today (Thursday) ... I have feeling she just might get it. She has a HUGE fan base ... and she does love to give away prizes.

There is no way that Rosie will host the price is right. Most of the loyal fans of the show would just up and leave, and Fremantle Media North America (the show's current production company, not Mark Goodson Productions, which for all intent and purposes no longer exists) knows that. Just look around at the various game show boards on the internet and I will guarantee you few, if any people actually like the idea of her as host. Look especially at Golden Road . Net, which is comprised of the most loyal fans of the Price Is Right. 99% of the people there do not like her. I guarantee you that Rosie will NOT be the host of The Price is Right come this fall.

PirateLover
06-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Hmm. I can't see Rosie hosting it in it's current form to be honest. I think the show would have to get completely revamped. I liked Rosie back in her solo talk show days and I think she would be a great game show host but I'm just not sure that I see her on this particular show. Also I'm sure someone will be along to offer her a political outlet in some form or another and I just can't see her going back to "Cutie Patootie" Rosie at this point in her career. But who knows.

dw2649
06-23-2007, 05:30 AM
BTW Drew Carey (of Whose Line is it Anyway and The Drew Carey Show) is also now in the running to host The Price is Right. I'm not sure what to think of him. All I have to say is that I will reserve judgement on the new host (except for Rosie) until new episodes of The Price is Right starring him or her start airing in the fall. Once they start airing, all bets are off. Personally, I think that Todd Newton would be the best guy to replace bob, but I do not think that he is going to get the job for various reasons, including the fact that he does not have enough star power.

PirateLover
06-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Well some of you can rest easy. Rosie apparently has been offered the job and declined it. She did not want to be in LA as much as she had to to tape the show and did not want to uproot her family. She that she has more than enough money and moving her family to go live out a childhood dream for herself would be selfish.

dw2649
06-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Gene Rayburn never lived in Los Angeles when he taped Match Game 7x. He always flew out from New York. But that was a different show and they could tape 5 to 6 episodes of Match Game 7x per day (1 episode of Match Game PM and 5 of Match Game 7x per day) and match game did not require as long a time to process the audience as The Price is Right does. That is the main reason why they cannot tape as many episodes of price per day as they could of Match Game or even Hollywood Squares (any version, including the Burgeron version).

Disney Babe
07-13-2007, 09:32 PM
I don't remember if anyone started a thread like this already, but I was interested to see who people would like to see as the next host for The Price is Right.

I would like to see John O'Hurley host. He's classy, he's a good game show host, and the most likable person I can think of to fill Bob Barker's shoes. Add to that he has hosted the dog competetions and I think that he is the most logical and charming choice. But I have never heard his name come up. Maybe he has a contract he can't get out of?

Christine
07-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Good question! I think Jeff Probst! He's easy on the eyes (although I think he should have stopped about three botox injections ago!) and he would be funny / insulting to the contestants!

cubbie
07-13-2007, 11:51 PM
I agree that John O'Hurley would be a great host, and, I could be wrong, but I thought he was one of the top choices. My personal favorite, however, would be Dan Patrick. He's personable and has that dry wit that would work perfectly on the Price is Right. Plus, with him leaving ESPN, I'd say he might have some free time on his hands.

dw2649
07-14-2007, 12:45 PM
I heard that John O'Hurley is out of the running now due to the fact that Family Feud has been picked up for another season. Doing the Feud and The Price Is Right (both shows air 5 days a week) most likely would have been too much for him. The New York Post was reporting earlier this week that the two finalists for the job are Mark Steines and Todd Newton. Although I heard Mark had a fine audition, my favorite to take over the job would be Todd Newton. I think that if they want to have a chance at getting another 35 years on Price with one host Todd is the best choice.

murphy1
07-23-2007, 08:28 PM
I love him!!!! I think I need to plan a trip to go see that show now. As much as I will miss Bob, I think Drew is great!

ibrowse17
07-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Agreed, I think he will do a great job. Good luck to him:thumbsup:

snifflesmcg
07-23-2007, 08:59 PM
I just saw this on the news a half hour ago. I think Drew Carey is great and he will be an awsome host of "The Price is Right".

Christine
07-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Hmmm, I hadn't heard that news yet. Cool.

Hey, maybe they could make "Sounds Dangerous" into a Price is Right attraction! ;)

pogo
07-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Hmmm, I hadn't heard that news yet. Cool.

Hey, maybe they could make "Sounds Dangerous" into a Price is Right attraction!

They need to do something with that attraction.:D

PirateLover
07-23-2007, 11:34 PM
You know I heard the rumor about him a few days ago and just read now about it being confirmed. I occasionally watched the Drew Carey Show and loved Whose Line but I just don't know... I will wait and see.

AdventurerKim
07-25-2007, 10:47 AM
I hope Drew will be great, and I think he's a great choice. So, are the models now going to be "Carey's Beauties"? If so, I think Drew would get a kick out of that. Ha!

2Epcot
07-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Drew Carey is OK, but wouldn't have been my first choice to take over for Bob Barker.

PirateLover
10-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Anybody catch the premier today? I saw most of it in the waiting room while my bf was waking up from back surgery... I wasn't too impressed. The games are the same, the contestants are just as pumped but Drew was missing a spark. Maybe he was just nervous because it was his first show? He talked way too fast most of the time, in my opinion. I know he isn't Bob Barker but I was hoping for more

Jasper
10-15-2007, 07:42 PM
I did see the show today and almost immediately was turned off. I then spent the rest of the show trying to decide if it was simply that the host was not Bob Barker or if Drew Carey just wasn’t a good fit. Frankly I just think Carey is not the right person for the job. I think his style and manner are just not “smooth” enough for this particular job.

Drew also needs to move the games along better. I know there is a certain amount of suspense that you build by allowing people to take their time but at some point you just have to simply say “come on, give your answer.” While Carey did eventually get there it sure seemed to take a long time. I hope he gets better with time because I really do like him as an actor and comedian.

2Epcot
10-16-2007, 03:26 AM
Anybody catch the premier today? The games are the same, the contestants are just as pumped but Drew was missing a spark.

Frankly I just think Carey is not the right person for the job. I think his style and manner are just not “smooth” enough for this particular job.
I really do like him as an actor and comedian.

I only got to see about the first 5 minutes of the show. It was recorded at work, but I got busy and had to stop watching. I never thought Drew was the right choice for the show. I also like him as a comedian, but didn't think he was a good fit to replace Bob Barker. I think Mark Steines from Entertainment Tonight would have been a better choice, between the two of them. He was reported to be one of the producer's finalist for the job. I will watch an entire show to see how Drew does.

tinkwest
10-17-2007, 12:31 PM
I felt Drew Carey's nervousness throughout the show. I think he will improve with time. He's got some awfully big shoes to fill.