PDA

View Full Version : On The Lot

2Epcot
05-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Is anyone planning to watch this show? I've been looking forward to it. I used to make a lot of movies is high school and college, and always thought I'd eventually become a filmmaker .... I ended up working in TV, which I enjoy, but my first love is still film. The show premieres on Fox tonight, after American Idol.

bleukarma
05-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks for reminding me about this show, I've been looking forward to it!!!

I've always been intersted in working "behind the scenes", I even went to school and got a broadcasting degree. Now I don't use it (I work in an office) but I still think this show will be interesting!

angel8783
05-23-2007, 09:22 AM
My husband and I watched this show last night and we really enjoyed it. I wanted to see more!! We liked it so much because DH actually produces commercials and videos as our church's media director for a living. He also directs or at least supervises others directing the services on sunday mornings (live cameras, and media mixed together on very large screens). He went to school and got a degree in Radio-Television on the production track and has always loved making videos, so this show was really great to us. We talked about what he would do in each situation as we watched it.

2Epcot
05-23-2007, 02:22 PM
I think having to pitch their movie ideas in front of Carrie Fisher, Gary Marshall, and Brett Ratner was very tough for a lot of them. They may be great filmmakers, but just not good presenters. I think it was a good test, because so much of getting a film made in Hollywood is to be able to convice someone it is worth investing the studio's money in, and selling the idea.

My husband and I watched this show last night and we really enjoyed it. I wanted to see more!!

I felt the same way. I wanted the show to continue. They will air another episode tonight after the American Idol Finale. Watching them try to make a film with 3 other directors they never met, also seemed like a very hard task. I could just imagine how difficult that would be. Everyone has their own idea, especially when you get into creative things. It is hard to find someone who shares your same vision ... that is why so many directors, prducers, editors, always work together.

bleukarma
05-23-2007, 04:24 PM
I felt the same way. I wanted the show to continue. They will air another episode tonight after the American Idol Finale.

I believe it comes on tomorrow night at 9:30, not tonight. Unless tivo is lying to me. I kind of hope not because it will conflict with Lost!

I too wanted more. I didn’t think it was over when they stopped it!!! I hope this show sticks around because I could really get into it!

I felt for the first guy that walked in a completely forgot his idea!!!! Funny enough, in broadcasting school I had to get up and do a speech on the best way to get around Disney because they wanted us to get used to talking in front of an audience for situations like this. I can’t image having to do it with Carrie Fisher and Gary Marshall in the audience! That was an easy way to weed out 14 people though. I was actually feeling bad for the judges because it seemed like they were up all day, just like the contestants. And they had to listen to the good and the bad!

Also…write, shoot and edit a short movie in 24hours! Ouch!!!!!

2Epcot
05-23-2007, 04:39 PM
I believe it comes on tomorrow night at 9:30, not tonight. Unless tivo is lying to me. I kind of hope not because it will conflict with Lost!

Yes you are right, my mistake. It comes on after "So You Think You Can Dance". I don't know if I set my DVR correct or not, I'll have to check.

SBETigg
05-23-2007, 04:53 PM
I loved watching them pitch! It was educational watching the ones who did it well, as well as it was cringe-inducing to watch the few mess up. It reminded me of some book pitches I've had to make. It's not easy to sell someone on an idea-- keep the story straight and make the characters/plot seem dynamic and interesting all at once. I was nervous for them all.

NJDad
05-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Enjoyed it, but too many contestants, and the 'hostess' was really bad. Some of those pitches needed a quick return to the days of "The Gong Show".

2Epcot
05-24-2007, 02:53 AM
Enjoyed it, but too many contestants, and the 'hostess' was really bad. Some of those pitches needed a quick return to the days of "The Gong Show".

I was not a fan of the host of the show either. Hopefully the contestants number will be widled down quickly, as in most reality shows.

2Epcot
05-30-2007, 01:38 PM
I still like the basic concept of the show, but was not impressed with last night's voting show. It just seems too much like a copy of Idol's live results show. It's also not a good sign for the success of a show when they change the host so soon, though I guess others like me didn't like her. I like Adrianna Costa, and have worked with her in the past, though I think she needed to slow down a little. Some of the films are really good. I liked the saftey lab film, that was very well done.

ChipnDaleGal
05-30-2007, 03:23 PM
We are running a little behind on this show. My daughter and I watched the 18 finalist films last night. Loved the dancing communicator guy, the alien one, the exploding lab, the airport security one and the one about farting. I could not believe how such a complete little story could be told in 1 minute. We really enjoyed the show. We are going to watch the results show tonight. The only one that I truely hope gets the boot off is the guy that made the wacky cab film. That one scared me. :eek:

Carol
06-04-2007, 07:13 AM
The only one that I truely hope gets the boot off is the guy that made the wacky cab film. That one scared me. :eek:I didn't like that either, Donna. I also didn't like that fact that one guy made a trailer. In my opinion *that* was not the task.

I really liked "Lucky Penny". :D

bleukarma
06-04-2007, 12:02 PM
I didn’t like the Wacky Cab either, or the guy that made its attitude. I was very disappointed when he didn’t go home.

I think the guy that did the trailer did a real good job on the trailer, it just wasn’t the assignment. I’m glad he didn’t go home though. I’m curious to see what he does in the future.

I agree that Adrianna Costa didn’t do too hot at the host. Is she the sister on Ugly Betty?

Do we have a new show tonight, or tomorrow night? I forget if they are doing Monday and Tuesday or Tuesday and Wednesday showings.

2Epcot
06-04-2007, 10:09 PM
I agree that Adrianna Costa didn’t do too hot at the host. Is she the sister on Ugly Betty?

The woman on Ugly Betty is played by Ana Ortiz ... they do look similar, though I think Adrianna is prettier, but then I'm biased. Adrianna worked here in LA for a while, then she was working for CNN, now she she is hosting this show.

The show will be on Tuesday at 8pm Est.

2Epcot
06-06-2007, 12:42 AM
I liked the films "Broken Pipe Dreams", and "Dough: The Musical". The song was very well written and funny. I agreed with Michael Bay on that one, it could have been more visually shot, but then that's what Bay said to almost all of them. That is his style of making films. I got the feeling Michael Bay didn't really want to be there, he was just there to promote his Transformer movie, not so coincidentally prooduced by DreamWorks.

ChipnDaleGal
06-06-2007, 05:45 AM
I did not like Michael Bays comments. They seemed to not be coming from a very "mentoring" type of place from him. I agree that he looked bored and like this was beneath him. I actually liked all of the shorts a lot last night except for the Finklestein one. I think the Dough Musical was my favorite, very clever and funny, and great song too. This show is very entertaining.

bleukarma
06-06-2007, 01:09 PM
The woman on Ugly Betty is played by Ana Ortiz ... they do look similar, though I think Adrianna is prettier, but then I'm biased. Adrianna worked here in LA for a while, then she was working for CNN, now she she is hosting this show.

The show will be on Tuesday at 8pm Est.

Thanks!! I've been meaning to look that up since last weeks episode but I figured you would know the answer! :thumbsup:

For some reason I thought they were going to do a show and then the kick off the next night. Oh well, one night a week is good.

I like how they narrowed it down to 5 shorts per week.

The Finklestein one reminded me of Meet the Parents. It didn't seem original to me.

When I first heard "musical" I thought "oh no!" but I kind of liked the Dough one. It was very original!

Tick-Tock
06-06-2007, 04:37 PM
I really liked Broken Pipe Dreams and Dough, but my favorite turned out to be the last one they played, about the gay Indian comedian. I thought it looked very professional and I liked her camera work.

bleukarma
06-13-2007, 08:06 AM
This week's show has some good ones. I think I liked "Polished" the best.

I liked the style of Marty Martin's film but I didn't really care for the film, if that makes sense. For some reason I thought they had to do comedies, but I might be getting this challenge mixed up with the prior challenge.

I can see how Kenny's film is very stylistic but it did seem more like a music video.

I thought Carrie Fisher was in a bad mood last night or something. It almost seemed like she was in pain. It made me wonder if something happened before the show. She was very negative!

Tick-Tock
06-13-2007, 03:23 PM
I thought she was negative because the films just weren't that good...

bleukarma
07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
I believe that this is going to be on tonight instead of tomorrow night...

SimbaandNalasMama
07-15-2007, 10:44 AM
hey all, glad i found this thread. We like The Lot a great deal too. Too bad the ratings are so poor...guess viewers are slowly but surely getting over reality tv. I am a reality tv junky (Survivor, Big Bro, Amazing Race) and we LOVE movies, so we thought this would be a great mix.

bleukarma
08-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Anybody out there still watch this? I stayed loyal throughout, I only missed one episode and that was only because my tivo is being replaced and the vcr didn't tape it. I guess it was the episode where Zack got kicked off because he wasn't there next episode.

Tonights the finale. Any thoughts on who will win? I like them all and I won't be disappointed no matter who wins, but I think I'm pulling for Jason the Kentucky guy. I think he makes good movies and his "down home" yet professional attitude will be a welcome addition to Hollywood, IMHA. :mickey:

godawgs
08-22-2007, 08:34 AM
I was rooting for Jason as well, but I think all 3 were very talented and I would have been happy if any of them won.

I'd watch it another season, but I doubt that will ever happen since the ratings were so low all season.

The concept was great, but the delivery was disappointing. I thought Steven Spielberg had the Midas touch, but this show just proved me wrong.

Carol
08-22-2007, 09:33 AM
I was happy with the outcome. I too watched all of the episodes.

I guess I'm in the minority. I did not like Jason's personality or filming style. I was ready for him to leave long ago. :shrug:

ChipnDaleGal
08-23-2007, 08:00 AM
My daughter and I were not Jason fans either. In fact, we wanted him to go home from the very first show. But our two favorites made it to the finals and we hoped that either Adam or Will would make it. We are going to miss this show, as we found it very entertaining. I hope that both Adam and Will can go on to have careers in directing. They both have a lot of talent and seem to be genuine good guys.

bleukarma
08-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Well...my replacement tivo hasn't come in yet and the power went out so the vcr didn't get the finale. :( Who won? I can tell from other posts that it wasn't Jason. Was it Adam or Will?

I too hope they bring back this show for another season, but I'm afraid it won't happen. It just makes me mad/sad....I watch the entire season and miss the finale!!! Such is my luck.

ChipnDaleGal
08-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Who won? I can tell from other posts that it wasn't Jason. Was it Adam or Will?

It was Will. :thumbsup:

bleukarma
08-23-2007, 09:57 AM
It was Will. :thumbsup:

Thanks!! :mickey: I thought he was very talented with his Dough Musical. Well...they were all talented! Too bad I missed the Dreamworks part. Hopefully we'll be hearing (or seeing) all three of them in the future.

ChipnDaleGal
08-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks!! :mickey: I thought he was very talented with his Dough Musical. Well...they were all talented! Too bad I missed the Dreamworks part. Hopefully we'll be hearing (or seeing) all three of them in the future.

Actually, I believe that "Dough:The Musical" was one of Adam's films. That one and the GI Joe/Dollhouse film were my two favorites of the whole competition. Adam is so talented. But I think I liked Will's whole collection of films a little more. I am glad I didn't have to choose between them.

bleukarma
08-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Actually, I believe that "Dough:The Musical" was one of Adam's films. That one and the GI Joe/Dollhouse film were my two favorites of the whole competition. Adam is so talented. But I think I liked Will's whole collection of films a little more. I am glad I didn't have to choose between them.

Oh yeah...I think you're right! :blush: I liked Will's western one, I thought it was cute. And that actor looked familier to me! He reminded me of AJ in the Soprano's, though I know it wasn't him.

2Epcot
08-27-2007, 07:00 PM
The concept was great, but the delivery was disappointing. I thought Steven Spielberg had the Midas touch, but this show just proved me wrong.

I also liked the concept of the show, but if it comes back it does need some reworking. Amazing Stories was another great series by Spielberg that never caught on with the audience ... I wouldn't blame Spielberg.

I just got around to watching the finale, Big Brother has been taking up most of my time, as every summer. I also missed a few episodes, just not being able to find time to view them. All of the final 3 were talented as well as a few who didn't make it that far. I liked Adam and was rooting for him, but I think he will have a great career too.

Will did a great job, all during the show he kept reminding me of a camera operator I used on a film I made in college, they both looked very similar. Ironcally, his name was Will too.

I also liked the segment they did on the actors and actresses who worked on the films ... Did anyone else notice that Erin Cahill (former Walt Disney World Planning DVD host) was one of the film actresses during the show.