PDA

View Full Version : Where in the parks do you go during a hard rain?

beachezncream
05-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Of course, the closest shelter immediately, but Universe of Energy in EPCOT is a nice long ride to get in out of the rain.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Carousel of Progress in Tomorrowland....Shelter and entertainment! Also good for quick naps....:thumbsup:

Belle619
05-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Yes, a nice long ride like SSE or CoP is good - or even long shows like HoP or Country Bears.

Also the stores on Main Street - you can walk through them to pass the time and also do my favorite hobby - shop!:mickey:

darthmacho
05-22-2007, 11:01 AM
We rode Pirates about six times straight, and browsed the shop in between, which was a perfect scenario for a drenching rainfall in 2003.

Juniorunc2001
05-22-2007, 11:02 AM
SSE is a great idea! The Great Movie Ride also passes the time while it is raining.

biodtl
05-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Sometimes we just try to find a covered patio where we can have a snack or drink and enjoy the rain and breeze while we people-watch and plan where to go next.

Figgyluv03
05-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, or snow white!

MNNHFLTX
05-22-2007, 12:09 PM
At Magic Kingdom and MGM, we would mainly browse the stores.

At Epcot, we would spend the time in Innoventions. My son loves playing the games there and seeing the exhibits.

I really can't think of what we would do at Animal Kingdom if it was raining--that situation hasn't come up yet. :)

JCDarzi
05-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Out of our last four trips, it has rained while we were at the parks for three of them.

The first time it rained, it rained through almost the whole trip. Oddly, this ended up being one of the best trips. It was already off-season, add a light shower throughout the day and the park was empty. We just dressed for it with light windbreakers and baseball caps. During a downpour at MGM we ducked into Beauty and the Beast show.

The next trip it rained on us we were also at MGM and had our kids in strollers. We ducked under the Brown Derby awning and waited out the short shower.

The last trip with rain, we were at AK getting out of the Festival of the Lion King. It was our last thing for the day so we made a mad dash to the park exit. But it's true, there's not much covering at AK. It would be harder to avoid a rain shower.

ibrowse17
05-22-2007, 12:25 PM
If at Epcot, we try to make it to Universe of Energy. The show is long enough to let most rain showers pass. If not, to the pub in England to get wet down another way:thumbsup:

Pastcastmemberdaughter
05-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Good question and lots of good ideas....

Lets see it usually depends on where I'm at in the parks but normally:

Magic Kingdom: Main Street shops or CoP
Epcot: The Land Pavillion or the Living Seas
MGM: Muppets
Animal Kingdom: Nemo show if running or Dinosaur.

Speedy1998
05-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Depends on if there is lighting, closing the outside rides. If there is no lighting causing the outside rides to close, I go on them, when it is raining there is no line. I especially like to do Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids, I am wet anyway, I might as well do the water rides. If there is lighting, closing the outside rides, I head for the shows.

beachezncream
05-22-2007, 04:00 PM
thanks for the posts

CU Tiger
05-23-2007, 08:59 PM
If it is not lightening, we grab our ponchos :rain: and start riding Splash and Thunder Mountain:coaster: . The lines disappear and the rain cools you off! :mickey:

DisneyDudet
05-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Well.. since it seems we're always in the Canada Pavilion at Epcot, I guess we look in the shop while putting on the panchos.. then we go... we usually don't camp out anywhere, unless the rain is really hard, then we wait for it to lighten up.

The parks are the BEST in the rain!

JPL
05-23-2007, 09:38 PM
MK: Shops on Main Street or TTA
Epcot: Mousegears UoE the land or The Seas
AK: Pretty much stuck in the nearest shelter
MGM: One Man's Dream or Muppets

ldn324
05-24-2007, 09:36 AM
If we are in Epcot, we go the the U.K. pavillion, grab a half yard and just sit/stand in the rain. We were there during "Wilma" and the skies opened up while we were in the U.K. We couldn't find anywhere to get out of the rain (all the shelter was crowded) so we just embraced it. A couple of U.K. CMs even came to join us, laughing about how it was just like home to them!

We had a blast! I totally recommend as playing in the rain made me feel just like a kid again! :thumbsup:

Darin M
05-24-2007, 10:05 AM
My girlfriend and I were eating at the Electric Umbrella. By the time we were on our last few bites, we could hear the hard rain hit, like a ton of bricks. This was our first encounter with Florida's Long Sun Showers. We threw away our trash and experienced their talking trash cans, which have some pretty funny sayings. We then ran over to Universe of Energy because it was on our list of attractions we had yet to visit. We took off our sandals, threw them in our bags and barefoot-splashed our way over (It's Disney World after all, and we were feeling kid-ish). The pre-show was more than enough time to whip out our towels and dry off. We then enjoyed the ride and by the time we came out, the terrential downpour had just stopped. After that, we went around the World Showcase and by the time we got to Italy, the rain started pouring yet again. We were right out front of Alfredo's underneath a table's umbrella and took some beautiful pictures of the rain hitting the gorgeous backdrop of "Italy." The rain passed within 10 minutes and we were on our merry ole way.
We will be there again in August and this will be our second time. I can't wait. Even if it does rain, I still look at it as , We're in Disney World. The happiest place on earth.

LilOrmstonViolet38
05-24-2007, 10:29 AM
i agree with what some of the people have said on here... stay in the park and do the outside rides unless they are closed for lightning... the lines aren't busy at all because no one wants to get wet.

however if the getting wet isn't for you, find the nearest show, but a warning most people do that so they could be busy, so indoor continuos rides especially longer ones are better yet! but if they seems to crowded for you and you are staying at a WDW resort take advantage of the pool, you are all ready wet right? or i like to ride the surrey bikes in the rain... they have a covering so you don't get drenched and it's calming and relaxing to see your resort in the rain (if you are at a value resort hop over to another resort and take advantage of their bikes) i also enjoy "resort hopping" on rainy days, just visit other resorts for the pleasure of seeing what they have to offer! :)

Grizz16
06-01-2007, 05:02 AM
When I went into the Hall of Presidents a few trips back, it was sunny with no clouds in the sky. During the length of time I was in there it had rained and stopped. Last trip, I was at Epcot under the roof at Innoventions for a while, it rained hard with strong wind .

tinks_pixie_dust
06-02-2007, 09:10 PM
As long as it's not life threatening......we put on our ponchos & go for it! We have some of the best memories of us splashing & tromping through a downpour!

Mickey91
06-02-2007, 09:25 PM
As long as there isn't lightning, we ride all the rides! Some people leave, making the ride lines very short!:mickey: We love the rain!!!!:rain::mickey:

Disney_Barbie
06-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Depends on if there is lighting, closing the outside rides. If there is no lighting causing the outside rides to close, I go on them, when it is raining there is no line. I especially like to do Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids, I am wet anyway, I might as well do the water rides. If there is lighting, closing the outside rides, I head for the shows.

My thoughts exactly. I HATE getting wet, but most of the time when it does that sudden Florida downpour you end up getting soaked while making that mad-dash for shelter. So if that mad-dash has already gotten me wet then I might as well make the most of it and enjoy line free time (ToT is one of the BEST, for some reason it dies down in the rain even though you don't even get wet) but if I happen to escape the first drenching I will at least try to make an attempt to preserve my hair by hitting a shop or getting a bite. But there's a limit even to that, if the rain lasts more than like 20 mins I'm just going to go for it, cause I'm in WDW and I'm not going to waste too much time just cause of a little water!

Jared
06-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Epcot is the best park for a rainy day. Many of the attractions are long and indoors. Between Innoventions, Universe of Energy and Mouse Gears, you could spend a large chunk of time without feeling a drop.

Or you could wait in line for Soarin'. That may take an entire day, let alone a Florida thunderstorm.