PDA

View Full Version : Can An 8 Yr old handle these rides?

madhatterrules
05-22-2007, 08:33 AM
:mickey: Do you think an 8 Yr old can handle riding Dinosaur, Space Mtn, Expedition Everest, Rockin Roller Coaster, amd Tower of Terror?

My daughter loves Big Thunder Mtn and Splash Mountain and would like to try some rides she hasn't been on yet. I don't want her to be traumatized...:beaker:

KAT1811
05-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Absolutly. My oldest DD (10) has been riding these rides for a few years now. I would just educate her on the theming of the ride. Give her an idea of what she should expect and then let her make the choice. Plus many of the rides have last minute exits for those who feel that the ride my be too intense (We had to make a last minute exit at TOT one year. She chickened out when we got to the elevators.) If she doesn't like it she doesn't have to ride it again. We as parents tend to want to protect our children from everything but if she feels she's ready it's only a ride in WDW and she never has to ride it again if she doesn't like it.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-22-2007, 08:50 AM
My boys are almost 10 and 7. They love EE and Space Mountain. :thumbsup:

TOT and RnRc they have not done yet. DH and I are not big thrill ride people so that is why they have not ridden RnRc. They would love to though. I love TOT but they have not expressed an interest to go on it yet. I know they would love it!!

As for Dinosaur, they hate it. I mean really hate it. They have tried a couple of times to give it a second chance but, they really do not like the jerky movements and loud noises of that ride(Not that I can blame them). Mentally they can handle it, physically it is not their kind of ride. I think they really want to like it, that is why they keep making me take them back on it each year to see if their feelings changed. It has not happened yet.

Hope your daughter has fun!!

c&d
05-22-2007, 10:04 AM
My son is 8 and since he reached the height requirements for these rides he's been riding them. He first did Splash and then Thunder Mtn.

When he went on ToT for the first time we really explained what was going to happen. He was nervous but really excited once he got off.

I think she'll be fine as long as you explain the ride to her. I know that helped with DS as it took away some of the fear of the unknown.

moe513
05-22-2007, 10:25 AM
My 7 year old does everything but mission space.We skip that altogther.

Belle619
05-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Ok, well I'm sorry that I can't speak about an 8 year old, but my sister who is closer to 38 than 8 was terrified on Dinosaur.

We both went on it for the first time in March and while I loved it, she didn't care for the loud noises, the dinos "jumping" out at her and the roughness of the ride.

I think this ride is in a different category than the others because it involves more of your senses and can be a bit overwhelming.

As for the other rides, if she likes rollercoasters, then I would assume she'd be able to handle these well.

MOJoe
05-22-2007, 11:30 AM
If your daughter can handle Big Thunder Mountain, none of the other roller coasters should be a problem. ToT and Dinosaur, on the other hand are different types of thrill rides. You should be familiar with these first, and then use your own judgement if your daughter would enjoy them - or not.

tlhewitt52
05-22-2007, 11:35 AM
I would explain each ride to he and let her decide if she wants to ride it or not we went last May and I had a DS who was 7 he loved them all, except for TOT DH told me he was clutching him the whole ride, so of course we are not forcing him to do it again this year, but he loved Mission Space and RNR coaster, I am sure if she likes these types of rides she will be fine!!

bethanne6245
05-22-2007, 11:37 AM
My daughter now 9 has been riding all the Mountains in MK for the past two years (Space Mtn. being here absoulute favorite ride in all of Disney!). She also loved EE last year. TOT and Dinosaur she tried and was not a fan (7 at the time). We also tried RnRc last year and had to exit...too scared of being upside down.
Hope this input helps!

BigRedDad
05-22-2007, 12:53 PM
I was threatened by my sister and dragged on SM when it first opened. I think I was 5 then. My advice is to let them know what the ride is like. Try showing pictures of roller coasters on the internet. If in the end she refuses, do not force her on. She will remember.

snifflesmcg
05-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Of course....let her ride them. My nephew went last year (when he was 8) and loved Dinosaur and EE. I wasn't with him when he went, so I don't know what else he was on but as long as she wants to do it and she is tall enough....have at it.

cmay0507
05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
I went to Disney last September and my daughter (5 at the time) did everything except Aerosmith, Haunted Mansion (too scary for her), and Dinosaur (at least I don't think we did), but everything else she did and loved it:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
05-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Generally speaking, I would say all of the rides you mentioned would be okay for an 8-year-old; I know my son has enjoyed them as soon as he was tall enough to meet the height restrictions. However, it would depend on the child's temperament too. I agree with previous posters--describe the effects to your daughter and let it be her decision whether she wants to ride or not. Also I would recommend "building up" to the most intense rides. For example, starting out on Space Mountain and Expedition Everest and if she likes those, going on to Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. Dinosaur is a different story. The ride is bumpy but not that bad in and of itself; it's the special effects going on around you that are more intense. Count me as another person who doesn't truly enjoy this attraction but will tolerate it for the sake of my son. :eek:

Disney Doll
05-22-2007, 01:13 PM
We took my 7 year old nephew on all but Dinosaur and Rockin Roller Coaster this past Feb and he had a blast. He didn't meet the height requirement for Rockin Roller Coaster so that's why we skipped it. We skipped Dinosaur because he tends to get scared not of a trilling ride, but of the dark and things that go bump in the night. Dinosaur is a little intense, but it depends on the child. I once took a 5 year old niece on Dinosaur and she handled it like a champ.

wjrhw
05-22-2007, 01:34 PM
My DD has been going on Dinosaur, TOT and Splash Mountain since she was 3 (close to 4) years old. She had some rules about riding them (Dinosaur only once per day, TOT only during daylight hours), but we never forced her and let her know exactly what to expect. This past January trip she was 5 and finally tall enough for Space Mountain. She love it and will go on this anytime.

I know I am lucky:mickey:

paragon
05-22-2007, 01:38 PM
My son was 8 when he first rode on all of those you mention, he absolutely loved it, of course he has no fear of thrill rides anyway. My wife on the other hand, was a space mountain fan but never wanted to try anything else, I coaxed on to Splash mountain, she loves it, then got her to try Thunder Mountain, she rides that now too, and my son and I got her on Tower, I told her she HAD TO SEE the theming inside and could bail out last minute, she didn't bail, but was totally horrified. The picture they snapped is priceless! She wont go near Everest or Rock and Roll though.

CanadianWDWFan
05-22-2007, 01:58 PM
:mickey: Do you think an 8 Yr old can handle riding Dinosaur, Space Mtn, Expedition Everest, Rockin Roller Coaster, amd Tower of Terror?
My DS3 has been on Dinosaur and Tower of Terror. He LOVED these rides. The others he hasn't been on due to height restrictions. He is 42" right now. He has to wait until he is 48" to try the others.

raider97
05-22-2007, 02:12 PM
We took my dd (5 in June) in April and she rode Tower of Terror and Space Mountain. She was in the back row of Tower of Terror and didn't like how loud the sounds were, but she enjoyed the ride. She LOVED Space Mountain. We skipped Dinosaur and Mission Space this time around. We were planning on trying Mt. Everest, but didn't get back to AK that week.

HTH!!

poeticeclipse
05-22-2007, 02:13 PM

Let me start by just saying that age has NOTHING to do with it. My eldest niece (now 11) started riding these rides as soon as she was tall enough (she was probably 7 at the time). My youngest niece (now 9) was very apprehensive about riding anything remotely large and/or scary. She also doesn't enjoy some 3-D attractions (much like her Aunt Stacey). I didn't start riding coasters until I was 13 simply because I was too scared. Now, i'm a crazy lunatic and will do anything no matter how high or how fast.

If your 8 year old has ridden BTMR and has no qualms about it, I would start him out next on Space Mountain. Next EE, then Rockin' Roller Coaster. Finally, make sure that he can handle the scare of Dinosaur and then take him to ToT if he enjoy Dinosaur. ToT can be very intimidating because the theming is done so well. I still get nervous everytime I board the elevator.

psychotekkie
05-22-2007, 09:46 PM
My daughter has been a thrill rider since birth, always doing the biggest possible rides in any park that she was tall enough for (and she is super tall for her age).
Last year at Disney we took her on pretty much everything. Absolutely loved RnRC and Expedition Everest. But she still has not forgiven us, to this day, for taking her on Tower of Terror. (And she makes sure all our extended family are aware of this cruel treatment)! And to be honest, at the age of 33, I found it pretty scary too, and probably won't do it this year.

Just don't force her and make sure she knows what to expect.

Catzle
05-22-2007, 10:31 PM
We just got back and my 5 and 8 year old rode them all except Rockin roller coaster, my 5 year old wasn't tall enough so we just decided to skip it. They love all the rides and so far don't have any fears.

Magic Smiles
05-22-2007, 11:19 PM
My DS was 8 his first time in DIsney. He experienced all the rides. The only one he wasn't tall enough for was the Roller Coaster one in DisneyQuest. He LOVED them all.

Mickey91
05-22-2007, 11:27 PM
When it comes to thrill rides, I really don't think age has a lot to do with kids being able to handle them. I have seen 4 year olds on rides that I wouldn't go near and loving them! You really have to judge your child. Do they ride any kind of thrill rides anywhere else? If not, then start them off small and work up. You can sort of get a feel for what else they will like by how they react to the smaller stuff. Try the barnstormer and if that works okay go on to the next higher thrill. I would rate them:
Easier
Barnstormer
Splash Mountain
Test track
Big Thunder Mountain RR
Space Mountain
Rockin Roller
Expedition Everest
Tower of Terror
Scarier

thejens
05-22-2007, 11:46 PM
My 8 year old son rode every ride except EE and RR last year and loved them all except
Dinosoar. Funny, I don't find this ride at all scary but he just hid his eyes the whole time and doesn't think he'll ride it again. The dinosoars jumping out are too much. However he loved Space M and Splash and TOT! He is dying to ride RR and EE this time too. I am trying to work up my nerve. I think the other posters are right, it is not really about age as much as temperment. I agree about never pressuring a child, but I'd let him if he wants to.

pianobabe
05-23-2007, 01:41 PM
The first time I took my son to MGM, he was 8 (going on 9). We tried ToT several times, but he kept chickening out. The pre-show would scare him and we would end up taking the chicken exit. He had no problem riding anything else but ToT. I knew he would like it once he got on it. A couple of days later when we went back to MGM he finally got on it. He LOVED it. He told me he didn't know what he was so scare of, that the ride was a piece of cake. After that, it became one of his favorite rides.

LilOrmstonViolet38
05-23-2007, 02:01 PM
i hate Dinosaur!!!! i just thought i would put that in there... i'm a chicken and i know it, but unfortunately my DH didn't know that very well on the honeymoon.... i told him i had ridden it before a few years ago and i was burried in my mommy the whole time cuz i was terrified... he thought i was exagerating... i even had my mom talk to him about... and as she says all the time she thought it was hilarious because the picture they take at the end showed me about ready to cry from terror (i was 16 too...) and it's the only time mom has ever wanted to buy one... but no he still didn't even believe her... he forced me on it. i hated him for at least twenty minutes afterward... he believed me finally though... i had a bruise on my hip because the seat belt was in my way while i was tucked neat into his chest practically crying the whole way again. i don't do thrill rides and this one would be one (i claim if a pregnant woman can't ride it i shouldn't just cuz then it's "scarey") finally i have been told i don't have to go on it anymore! but next year hhe claims he is getting me on another scarey ride.... i don't want to...

KAJUNKING
05-23-2007, 03:37 PM
my dd7 went on all those rides last sept and had no trouble with any of them, good luck :mickey:

laward32
05-23-2007, 07:19 PM
My youngest daughter was 5 when we went in Dec and she rode Dinosaur, it kinda scared her, but she says she wants to do it again. She also rode ToT and just loved it. We rode it 3 times and she wanted to ride it more. I've got a great picture of her and my oldest on the first ride. Like one previous poster said, I would just give them as much of a description of the ride as you can, so they know up front. You can also get on youtube and watch on ride videos, that might help. Have a great trip!:mickey:

Disneyfirsttimer
05-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Our first trip last April, my DS was almost 7 (went in April, would turn 7 in July). He absolutely loves rides. He went on the following with no problems whatsoever:

Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Tower of Terror
Dinosaur

He was not tall enough for RnR (will be for our trip in October). He was tall enough for EE, but my DH was hesitant. Will be doing that in Oct. as well. DS will be 8 in July and he is about 49 inches. Unfortunatley, my DH has to do all the big rides and I don't do them.

Karyn

Stu29573
05-25-2007, 02:18 PM
I agree that it's not an age thing at all. I'm in my mid 40's and I won't go near RnRC or TT. (I DID try RnRC twice, but got sick both times) My main point, though, is to let the child decide with no pressure at all. When I was a kid I wasn't a big thrill rider, and I can remember people pressuring me to ride things that I didn't want to. What they didn't know is that their pressure was making want to ride less, not more. Later in life when I decided to start trying stuff on my own, I enjoyed it (well, most of the time). But it was MY choice....It makes all the difference. :mickey:

vamaggie
05-25-2007, 03:21 PM
I agree that it is not age but temperment. My DS(9) has ridden Splash & BTMR since he was 4 but refuses to try Space Mtn. He says he wants to try EE this fall (friend went on it and told him about it) so we will see. I would check out youtube and see if they have videos of some of the rides (I know they have EE) and show them to your DD. Let her decide what she feels comfortable doing. There is plenty to enjoy about WDW--even w/o riding anything!! Pressure to ride something should not be part of the "magical" experience.

Squeaky Mouse
05-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Our middle child has been riding all of the rides with 40 inch requirements since he turned 5. He's now tall enough for RNRC and cannot wait to ride it on our upcoming trips. Of course, he's a little thrill seeker. Our older ds (15) is the opposite. He still won't go on TT.

katzctkpt
05-26-2007, 08:54 AM
I have 3 children 15, 11, 8. The 11 & 8 yr old will ride Dinosaur but, with hesitation. It is very rough loud & scary. So, if she scares easily I would suggest not doing this ride. Tot didn't scare them half as bad. My 8 yr old finally rode rnr 1st time last yr. She loved it after the initial shock of the take off. That's the part she hated but the loops etc... she loved. Describe each ride to your child and maybe check out (www.youtube.com) amatuer videos are on there from some of the rides that she may be able to decide whether she would want to ride or not.

Jared
05-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Age is not a good indicator for if a child is ready for wilder attractions. My brother loved the baddest rides virtually his entire life. I was too afraid to ride Splash Mountain until I was 12 or 13.

If your daughter likes Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Splash Mountain, have her try Space Mountain first. Expedition Everest and Rock "n" Roller Coaster are the two most intense attractions.

pook@wdw
05-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Our DN did TOT @ 3yrs old. He's 6 now, and the only things he can't do is RRC, because of height requirement, and Mission Space (green) but he'll do orange. :mickey:

irish1967
05-26-2007, 06:41 PM
I would say that knowledge is power - give her as much information as you can and let her decide.

Make sure that she knows that she has a choice to change her mind up to the point where she enters the ride vehicle. Don't use the work "chicken exit" 'cuz she might decide to go ahead and ride, even if she doesn't want to because of the negative connotations of the word.

I am a firm believer in previewing. Rides, movies, whatever. You could ride first and then make the decision, you know your daughter best.

A basic rule of thumb for me is that if it makes me feel ill (RNR) my kids aren't riding it until they are old enough to deal with it if they do feel ill. At this point, my youngest would want to go back to the hotel room for the rest of the day if he felt sick and would want me to go with him.

Good luck!

septembergirl
05-26-2007, 10:36 PM

My daughter loves Big Thunder Mtn and Splash Mountain and would like to try some rides she hasn't been on yet. I don't want her to be traumatized...:beaker:

My DS7 loves coasters and rode RnR 3x in a row on our last visit. He also rode SM and ToT. He loved them all.

It depends on the child, though. The first ride we rode on our kids first trip was ToT and my DS9 would hardly ride anything else the whole week long!

thrillme
05-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Why wouldn't she like it???? My DS rode everything sine he was was 6. If he was tall enough to get on it (and he was tall enough for everything at 6) he got on it. When he was 7 we even got to be "test pilots" for Mission Space BEFORE anybody knew anything about it. There was no "GREEN" side back then, no Air Sickness bags and nobody having issues that I saw. Dinosaur is GREAT. Uhhh...the dinosaurs ain't real. I guess if a really "little" kid with an problem with seeing the Animotronics as REAL might have a bit of an issue other than that...an 8 year old ought to totally LOVE it.