PDA

View Full Version : Disney Parks Providing Extra Loot for "Pirates" Game

Figment!
05-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Disney Parks Providing Extra Loot for "Pirates" Game

By John Gaudiosi
Hollywood Reporter
May 21, 2007

ANAHEIM, California - Disney Interactive Studios is letting amusement park customers pillage a little extra content for its latest "Pirates of the Caribbean" game.

The division showcased its first collaboration with Disney Parks and Resorts at Disneyland on Saturday, hours before the world premiere of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" took place in the amusement park.

Beginning on Friday at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World in Orlando, consumers who bring their Nintendo DS and "At World's End" game to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride will be able to seek out 10 secured wireless hot spots to download free exclusive game content that won't be available anywhere else. The gaming stations will be marked with a Pirates "X" at different areas through Labor Day at both parks.

The new Nintendo DS game -- which will also be sold at both Disney parks, along with other versions of the "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" games -- follows the exploits of the third movie and features such characters as Captain Jack Sparrow, Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann. There will be three different downloads available around the theme park ride, including one that gamers can access while standing in line for the Pirates ride that inspired the films and games. Players will be able to unlock bonus items such as unlimited health, new costumes for the three stars of the game and new weapons, characters and locations for the online dueling mode of the title.

A new area of Disneyland's Frontierland opens Friday called Pirates Lair, which previously was Tom Sawyer Island. The new attraction has been designed by Disney Imagineers to incorporate a pirate's life into a live-action show that was choreographed by Tony Angelotti, a stunt man in the three films. Disney Interactive Studios, which provided the software and download stations for the Nintendo DS hot spots, worked with the Imagineers to hide X's throughout this new area for gamers to find, as well as in other sections around the original ride.

Disney Interactive Studios had Xbox 360, Wii and Nintendo DS kiosks of "At World's End" set up for the world premiere of the third "Pirates" film for the roughly 2,500 guests to play before and after the film was shown in a closed-off section of Disneyland. The Xbox 360 and Wii game also were on display at the press reception area throughout the day. All attendees of the world premiere received a limited-edition "At World's End" Nintendo DS portable game player and Nintendo DS game as part of the gift bags handed out after the event.

Disney Interactive Studios shipped seven versions of the new "Pirates" games across every current gaming platform. The new game incorporates action from both "Dead Man's Chest" and "At World's End" and expands the story beyond those films with new characters, plot twists and locations.

Cinderelley
05-23-2007, 12:58 PM
If I bring DS's DS (that sounds funny) on my trip, will someone at WDW explain how I'm supposed to download this stuff?

Magic Smiles
05-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Is there any time limit for the downloads to be available? Will they still be available in Dec 07?

Figment!
05-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Is there any time limit for the downloads to be available? Will they still be available in Dec 07?The article states they are only planned to last through Labor Day 2007.

Magic Smiles
05-23-2007, 08:44 PM
The article states they area only planned to last through Labor Day 2007.

Yah, I saw that when I actually read the article after. Too bad as we won't be there until Dec .

Rustin Allison
05-24-2007, 08:55 AM
This is interesting. I could see Disney allowing downloadable demos of their games at the parks, much like Nintendo does with this games at video game stores.

Rustin Allison

ElenitaB
05-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Too bad that won't still be there in October (like DS would let me take his DS with me anyway ;) ). Can't wait to pick up the new DS and WII games tomorrow!

(Just in case anyone is interested, my DS-11 really LOVED Meet the Robinsons for the WII.)

Raye3201
07-25-2007, 07:14 AM
We were at WDW last week and I downloaded the 'extra loot' for my son who is 6. You can get written instructions from the counter in the pirate store - it is not simple to download and there are quite a few steps involved. It's worth it though!:mickey:

To WDW and beyond
08-01-2007, 04:55 AM
I'm going to WDW in two weeks and have the DS pirates game. Can anyone tell me what the downloads actually are? :pirate: