PDA

View Full Version : More Monrails

baldburke
05-21-2007, 09:56 PM
While talking with a fellow employee and Disney enthusiast today she told me that the one thing the Disney folks hear more than anything that people want on the Florida propert is more monorails.

But at over $1M per mile and with zero revenue generation it isn't likely to happen.

She also mentioned that the two darkened areas on the Dolphin and the Swan were originally intended for a monorail to pass through.

I am not doubting her, but rather am intrigued. Does anyone else know more on any of these facts? I can believe that Disney woudn't want to invest more in monorails if they aren't getting any hard returns.

We too enjoy riding the monorail and try to do it at least once between Epcot and the Magic Kingdom per trip. It is great way to get a different perspective on the property and the kids always enjoy it.

Lastly, where, within reason, would you suggest Disney biuld another monorail? TTC to DTD? TTC to AK? It might take away from the aesthetics of the park, but it would be neat to be able to see the Savannah from above.

JPL
05-21-2007, 10:01 PM
But at over $1M per mile and with zero revenue generation it isn't likely to happen.

That was in 1971 dollars so it is actually much more today. And only for the trackl they would still have to purchase more trains and build stations. Unfortunately buses are much cheaper

She also mentioned that the two darkened areas on the Dolphin and the Swan were originally intended for a monorail to pass through

This is definitely not true. There is no way Disney would have a monorail go through hotels that they do not operate.

While it would be great to see morew monorails it is not cost effective and I would rather see the money spent on new attractions and improving the parks

gueli
05-21-2007, 10:22 PM
The monorails are cool, but they belong where they are...
However, a new high speed transport system does not need to be something as old as 1970 tech. A light rail system, linking all the remaining resorts & AK & MGM would be something to dream about...
:blush:

also it could be a 'green' energy train...

WDWfanatic742
05-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Peoplemover, or a TTA type ride would be alot more better cost wise...

CrazyStitch
05-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Peoplemover, or a TTA type ride would be alot more better cost wise...

and a whole lot cooler, too!

SBETigg
05-22-2007, 09:32 AM
She also mentioned that the two darkened areas on the Dolphin and the Swan were originally intended for a monorail to pass through.

Lastly, where, within reason, would you suggest Disney biuld another monorail? TTC to DTD? TTC to AK? It might take away from the aesthetics of the park, but it would be neat to be able to see the Savannah from above.

I read an article on this at another website. If you Google Swan and Dolphin, it comes up. It is not true. The darkened areas were designed there for visual effect only. The monorail running through idea is only a rumor that has cropped up through the years.

The idea is that the Swan and Dolphin are actually mountains rising from the landscape (which is somehow supposed to explain the banana leaves painted on the exterior?). The darkened areas are to simulate the peak of the mountain. I don't really see that the architect pulled off what he was going for at that rate, but the article on the design and building of the Dolphin and Swan made for fascinating reading.

A monorail link(or similar but updated system) to AK from the TTC would be amazing! Not going to happen, probably, but how neat that would be.

Ian
05-22-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't know that you'll ever see an expansion of the existing monorail system, but if Disney can ever come up with a cost effective alternative to the busses they would probably implement it.

I remember reading an article awhile back about a TTA-type of system they were considering using. I think there is a company out there somewhere that builds them for cities that Disney was talking to for awhile. Not sure where that ever went, though.

I don't think Disney is a huge fan of their bus system, really. It's reasonably expensive to run, it pollutes a lot (for which they catch a lot of heat since they're supposed to be so into "environmentality"), and I don't think most guests feel like they're very magical. I know I don't.

Tinkerfreak
05-22-2007, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=JPL;1294682]

This is definitely not true. There is no way Disney would have a monorail go through hotels that they do not operate.

Actually I was told by the boat captain while doing a fireworks cruise that this was true. He said they had originally planned to run the monorail through them.

Quasimodo
05-22-2007, 10:54 AM
[quote=JPL;1294682]

Actually I was told by the boat captain while doing a fireworks cruise that this was true. He said they had originally planned to run the monorail through them.

I too was told this was true by a CM. By a monorail pilot no less. However, it has been mentioned here many times that CMs have been known to perpetuate rumors and myths.

jefmblrd
05-22-2007, 11:23 AM
This question came up while we were on the Backstage Magic Tour last month. The tour guide echoed what has been mentioned above that the cost of adding more monorail track was just too prohibitive.

He also said, as was stated previously, that Disney would love to replace at least some of the busses, but hasn't come up with a viable alternative.

DisneyGiant
05-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Back in 2000, I took a Disney survey. It was on the second floor of the Land, and they paid me $50.00 in vouchers, which we used to pay for dinner.

It was all about if I would be willing to pay more $$$$$ for hotel and park passes if they were to extend the monorail to the AK.

Apparently, it is well hidden, but there are already transportation charges in both your hotel stay and your park pass.

I consistently responded that I would be willing to pay "moderate" increases to be able to take a monorail to the AK.

Unfortunately - 9/11 occurred and most park improvements were put on hold. And maybe, most people said that they wouldn't agree to pay more........

I wish they could add more monorail tracks - its such a pleasant ride compared to the buses.

Zippy_D_DooDah
05-22-2007, 02:12 PM
I know I have brought it up before, just google Maglev. You may have to put some other keywords such as Powder Springs, GA as well. This system is a little more cost effective than the current monorail system and there have been some RUMORS... they are only rumors at this point, but I would love to see it down there.

WEDTOPIA
05-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Well ,it could be cost effective over time ,when considering all the probabilities. If a monorail line was added between the Epcot resorts ,Animal Kingdom , and Downtown Disney it would be extremely expensive ,but you would have to take the following scenarios in to account . The reduced usage of busses , the reduced travel time for guests , which translates to more time spent at the parks and the spending of more money. Also , the increased customer base that might be more willing to stay at Disney with more efficient transportation. Likewise ,it would be cheaper to operate monorails ,once established , and as someone said ,less polluting. I don't know if the current monorail stations are ready-capable for this now , but it seems possible that they could add an extra car on to each monorail train to increase capacity by around 20 %. All those factors ,over time , could make it cost efficient. You also have to realize that Disney would add the price tag to future ticket ,concession , and lodging pricing , anyway.

:mickey:

jefmblrd
05-22-2007, 06:45 PM
I know I have brought it up before, just google Maglev. You may have to put some other keywords such as Powder Springs, GA as well. This system is a little more cost effective than the current monorail system and there have been some RUMORS... they are only rumors at this point, but I would love to see it down there.

Thanks for the information. I just read about Maglev, and it really looks incredible. I don't know if Disney would need all of the speed I was reading about, but I'm sure it would one day be a better option than the busses. I thought it was interesting that maglev comes from superconducting magnetically levitated vehicle. It seems like economic feasability is still an issue with maglev, but it looks like it has possibilities for the future. I'd put the source up, but I don't want to break posting rules. As the above poster said, just google maglev, and you'll get there.

FiggyFan
05-22-2007, 08:26 PM
As WDW grew, the biggest issue that gave busses an edge over monorails is flexibility. The original monorail loop was easy. Adding a second line to Epcot was easy. Now, with so many destinations - hotels, theme parks, water parks, DTD - what points would you connect? Busses allow them to adjust the routes as often as they want.

Now, alternative fuel busses ...

lockedoutlogic
05-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Two things:

1. First...I worked on a project where a Michael Graves architect was involved...and casually asked if he could find out about the monorail thing after a meeting....a few months later he told me after another meeting that the structure of the building was built to support a station platform in the center....

For $50...figure out how Michael Graves was involved and why they would be an "authority" on the matter

Remember that the Swan and Dolphin were not simply an experiment...Eisner believed at the time that was how all future WDW resorts would be operated. It was only after massive disagreements with the builders and operators that they decided to build Disney resorts such as Wilderness, All Star, Coronado, Boardwalk and others.....
That would be a very different perspective on whether or not they intended to "allow" an outside run hotel to have the monorail pass through it.

2. Disney's bus system is now almost entirely run off natural gas....which is about six times more efficient and 1/3 as polluting as unleaded gasoline...
...the cabs at WDW generate more pollution and consume far more fuel than their buses.
Natural Gas buses due run about 300K each to purchase though

Donald_Quackers
05-23-2007, 12:10 AM
While I would also love to see the monorail system expanded, I also don't see Disney (at least now) expanding it, especially given what lockedout mentioned about natural gas.

Even though those cost about 300k, it's still cheaper than the expansion.

One can still dream, though, eh?

SBETigg
05-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Two things:

1. First...I worked on a project where a Michael Graves architect was involved...and casually asked if he could find out about the monorail thing after a meeting....a few months later he told me after another meeting that the structure of the building was built to support a station platform in the center....

As I said earlier in the thread, another site features an article on the Swan and Dolphin in which the author has spoken to the Michael Graves Design Group, and they make clear that the intention was absolutely never to run a monorail through these buildings, and that the dark areas were visual peaks. And if you look at the Michael Graves Designs body of work, the dark square area is a technique they have employed in other buildings(Humana Building in Louisville, the Portland Public Service Building) that obviously never intended a monorail platform, so I tend to believe that it was never the intention at all but merely a myth perpetuated and repeated in rumor through the years.

valjane
05-23-2007, 09:01 AM
I don't think you'll ever see a monorail going to DTD, even if they did expand the rails.

Since parking is free and open to anyone at anytime, it would create too easy access to the parks. Not to mention that it would probably be overrun with the local teens who hang out at Westside.

Quasimodo
05-23-2007, 09:16 AM
I think its possible that when the Swan and Dolphin were being designed, a monorail station may have been discussed and perhaps even drawn into the plans, but was later tabled for whatever reason. Either before or very early in the construction. As for the black sections on the buildings, I don't believe they are black because of some last minute design change to remove a monorail station. It just too easy to paint those sections to match the color of the rest of the building. There isn't any reason to paint those sections black other than for aesthetics.

I think what really perpetuates this rumor is the appearance of the Dolphin. Its A-frame shape looks very similar to the ends of the Contemporary. The dark section looking a lot like the Contemporary's monorail pass-thru.

pshokie
05-23-2007, 09:51 AM
I would just wish they would do something that is more family/disabled friendly. The anyone who has ever had to travel the busses with either an ECV, a wheelchair, or stroller with small child(ren) knows how the buses "feel". It is like you are ostricized the moment you step foot on the bus. (grumbles, eye rolling , delays, etc.)

To me, that is the biggest plus of the monorail, the fact that you can roll on/roll off.

Whatever they decide to do maglev, lightrail, etc., I hope that feature is included.

As for where it should go, I will buck the trend and say that any major Monorail type system should initially go to only one place, MGM. AK just does not have the "all day pull" to warant it in my opinion. No resturants, nighttime hours or shows, etc. It is a "day park" not a "destination". And it is very remote (by Disney standards). As for DTD, as mentioned before DTD is free to non-resort folks. So nix that one.

I'll go hide now.....:hide2:

BrerSchultzy
05-23-2007, 10:03 AM
As for where it should go, I will buck the trend and say that any major Monorail type system should initially go to only one place, MGM. AK just does not have the "all day pull" to warant it in my opinion. No resturants, nighttime hours or shows, etc. It is a "day park" not a "destination". And it is very remote (by Disney standards). As for DTD, as mentioned before DTD is free to non-resort folks. So nix that one.

I'll go hide now.....:hide2:

Good points. I disagree a little bit...but good points. To me and my family, AK is far more of an all day park than DMGM. BUT, I agree that DMGM is where this new superconducted doohickey of the future should connect. I think AK is such a different type of park, that it needs that sense of anticipation that the buses provide. Now......maybe they could make the buses look more like safari vehicles...hmmm.

CrazyStitch
05-23-2007, 10:21 AM
The way I envisioned a new mass-transit system for WDW would (as previously mentioned) use Omnimover technology. Walt's early concept model for E.P.C.O.T. had this type of transit connecting the out-lying living areas with the central "downtown" area.

Basically, I'd build a central control hub, which would house the computer control systems for the omnimover network. From there, a network of interconnected tracks would link up the various locations within WDW, with bypass sections that go around the pickup stations at the various destinations so that those not stopping at that location can go around without slowing down. Throughout the network, there would be "switching gates" so that the vehicles could switch from one track to another to arrive at the destination in the shortest amount of time.

Guests would board the vehicles at these stations on a rotating platform like those used on the TTA or Spaceship Earth. Once inside the transport vehicle (which is fully enclosed, with large windows to provide a near panoramic view), the guests would select there destination on a user-friendly touch screen LCD. The vehicle itself would be large enough to hold 6 guests, plus room for wheelchair/stroller access. The seats could rotate, so that guests could either turn to talk to each other, or watch the landscape go by as the vehicle's computer navigates the track network to take them to their destination.

The central control hub would be able to monitor the status of the network, position of all the vehicles, and various other criteria. Those in the control hub would be able to reroute vehicles to less congested sections of the network, or add/remove vehicles to/from the network as guest usage changes. The vehicles themselves would communicate with each other to prevent collisions, or to slow one vehicle down so that another may switch paths.

The system could completely replace the current bus system, providing a constantly moving, congestion free transportation alternative. The entire system could be run on electricty, or have small natural gas powered engines on each vehicle.

Yeah, I've had a long time to think about this :blush:

bleukarma
05-23-2007, 10:50 AM
I read Michael Eisner’s book “Work in Progress” where he goes into detail about the Disney hotel boom and how he decided to bring in Michael Graves and the design process, etc. and he didn’t mention anything about expanding the monorail over to the Swan and Dolphin. That doesn’t mean the idea wasn’t out there, though, and he just didn’t mention it in the book.

I wonder…if cities like Chicago, NY, Washington D.C. and San Francisco can have a train or a subway then why can’t WDW if they want? WDW is basically it’s own city it’s just that the residents only stay for a week or so at a time (aside from Celebration). I think the cities mentioned above can do it because people pay to get on it. I think if Disney decided to sell tickets to ride then it would cover some of the costs of expanding the monorail. I think most people would pay it since the monorail would cut down precious travel time, and there is always the novelty of riding the monorail. Although I, for one, would hate to see the last free thing at WDW go away and I would rather just jump on a bus.

But, cost and other factors go into it. I know for years (since at least 1999) they were talking about putting a bullet train from Tampa to Orlando and I believe it passed in the local government but it’s been held up with red tape. I’m not exactly sure why it hasn’t been built yet (I think I'll go research that...) but I heard environmental factors were part of it. I’ve been looking forward to it ever since, as I wouldn’t have to relocate to Orlando to work at Disney, I can just jump on the train!

Zippy_D_DooDah
05-23-2007, 12:18 PM
What about a monorail to DTD with limited access. Meaning that only resort guests with Keys To The Kingdom cards could access the Hubs/Stations at both the TTA and DTD. Would this system run into discrimination problems? People who want to park for free and access the parks can already do that now. All you have to do is hop a Contemporay bus and you are in.

EmiB
05-24-2007, 09:27 PM
I know the original manager of the restaurants at the Dolphin hotel (Carnivale, Tubby's, Coral Cafe...all gone now sadly) and I remember him mentioning the monorail myth.

Whether it was true or not, it would have been nice.

Now that I think about it, before the Boardwalk was built, they had a tram (like the ones used in the parks' parking lots) that went from S&D to the International Gateway EPCOT entrance.
If you look, there is a large oval grassy area and canopy still there that was the "tram station".

joelkfla
05-24-2007, 11:39 PM
The way I envisioned a new mass-transit system for WDW would (as previously mentioned) use Omnimover technology. Walt's early concept model for E.P.C.O.T. had this type of transit connecting the out-lying living areas with the central "downtown" area.

Guests would board the vehicles at these stations on a rotating platform like those used on the TTA or Spaceship Earth. Once inside the transport vehicle (which is fully enclosed, with large windows to provide a near panoramic view), the guests would select there destination on a user-friendly touch screen LCD.
What you are describing is called PRT, for Personal Rapid Transit. The only difference is that PRT models do not use turntables for boarding; they typically have one or more individual gates with a supply of vehicles stacked up waiting for passengers. It's more like the loading for Test Track than SE.

Several PRT systems have been prototyped with demonstration tracks and vehicles, and there have been several serious proposals for a public system, but none has made it to the construction phase. The latest was a plan to open a system at Heathrow Airport in 2008, but it would be a shuttle operation with no destination switching. I don't know what the current status of that project is.

The big question for any unproven system at Disney is whether it could handle the tremendous surges in demand at park opening and closing, and after parades. I think a PRT system would have a hard time matching the boarding rate of the bus system, let alone the Monorails.

TheRustyScupper
05-25-2007, 10:00 AM
. . .
I don't think Disney is a huge fan of their bus system, really. It's reasonably expensive to run, it pollutes a lot (for which they catch a lot of heat since they're supposed to be so into "environmentality"), and I don't think most guests feel like they're very magical. I know I don't . . .

1) Yep, regarding the pollution.
2) Disney is environmentally-friendly only when it suits them.
3) I was part of a team recommending biodiesel
. . . made from soy beans, so it is renewable
. . . biodiesel returns 3.2 units of energy for 1.0 to make it
. . . burns cleaner than petroleum diesel fuel
. . . emits 78% less CO2 than diesel fuel
. . . significantly decreases maintenance costs
. . . all manufacturers now warrant engines for biodiesel

NOTE: Disneyland is using some biodiesel, but that is because California is mandating a reduction in C02 emissions. They steadfastly refused to use biodiesel when approached by national biodiesel groups.

Mentok
05-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Hybrid busses are already being produced in by several manufacturers including the large articulated types. And of course they can also run on bio fuel or natural gas. Many Bus Rapid Transit systems use raised platforms at the stops so that you enter at the same level as the bus floor, easing entry and exit. All that said, I still think of a bus as the lowest form of public transit. I can take a bus in any city on earth, at WDW I want something special.

Two things Disney could do to ease out the cost of an expanded monorail system is
1) Use automated trains. The Las Vegas Monorail ( which is an updated version of the WDW Mark VI ) is fully automated, which in turn saves on your labor costs. Although to be fair I realize Disney only pays monorail pilots something like $7 an hour.

2) Connect to as many resorts as possible. The more hotel rooms you connect to the system, the more you can spread out the cost. I could see a route from Port Orleans, through an Epcot transfer station, to the Boardwalk/ Yacht and Beach Club area, to MGM, west to Coronado Springs , south to Blizzard Beach, west to AK , and finally to AK lodge. Also the next resort could be built either on this new line or between Epcot and TTC.

John
05-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Cost per mile for existing monorail systems can be found here:

http://monorails.org/tMspages/HowMuch.html

Ian
05-25-2007, 01:31 PM
I think the stability of the land around WDW adds significantly to the development costs there. They'd probably be on the high end of that ... around $100 million a mile or so.

They'd probably be looking at a cap/ex of at least $2 billion to put something worthwhile into service. Of course, they could spread that out over time ... do bits and pieces ...

A Big Kid
05-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Looks like the dark spots on the S&D hotels are some 10 stories in the air. That seems a little high for the monorail to go up to.

I found this on a web site:

"The "black box" area on the Walt Disney Dolphin that many Disney fans mistakenly believe was meant to be an entrance for the monorail similar to the Contemporary resort is actually the heart of a mountain. The Walt Disney Dolphin is a mountain that has struggled to thrust its way out of the tropical rain forest. That is the reason for the banana leaves painted along the side of the building.

The struggle caused the heart to explode, and the water cascades nine stories down the side of the hotel, passing through five clamshell basins to a fountain and eventually splashing into Crescent Lake. Notice that the walkway from the Walt Disney Dolphin to the Walt Disney Swan has railings and landscaping that mimic waves. The water splashes up onto the Walt Disney Swan and that accounts for the waves painted on the side of that hotel."

LudwigVonDrake
05-25-2007, 08:53 PM
If Disney were to develop anything to replace the buses, it would have to be cost effective and be able to transport more people than they do already :mickey:

Victor Kelly
05-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Automated monorails: Miami and Orlando International Airport. Theme the trains for each destination available.

Construct a new TTC hub at Epcot. Destinations: DTD, MK, AK, MGM. Use busses for close in tansport between their respective theme park and resorts. Epcot and MK are already connected. So no cost there really.

And since all trains are automated, no drivers or attendants needed on platforms. And make the cabs panoramic and maybe spruce up the landscape with topiaries like they used to have.

iceicebritney
05-26-2007, 08:19 PM
i too heard about the monorail plans for swan and dolphin back when they first opened. it would've been a great idea!

i think the best plan is for the monorail to go from the TTC to MGM and then DTD. Then it can connect to those hotels like Beach Club / Yacht Club / Boardwalk which are "deluxe" resorts, but dont have the same benefits as other deluxes w/ the monorail.

i've been talking to monorail operaters (and become friends with many of them - Shout Out To: JOHN IOREO!!) for years about plans to extend the monorail - its a great invention, and honestly - i go to school at penn state, and we always joke about how awesome it would be to have a monorail transport us around campus!!

TheRustyScupper
05-26-2007, 09:28 PM
. . . i go to school at penn state, and we always joke about how awesome it would be to have a monorail transport us around campus!! . . .

But, I thought Happy Valley was already happy enough.

gsimpson
05-27-2007, 04:34 PM
There is another problem with the black square being for "insert monorail here". The monorail trains (both current and previous models) are longer than the building is wide. Unless they loaded/unloaded guests in specific cars they would have to stop, unload/load, move forward the the next 2 cars, stop, unload/load. If they originally planned monorail service to those hotels they probably would have put one station between them, which would make a lot more sense anyway.

I wish they would expand the monorail to include DTD (and I have no problem with using a guest key/pass to access it) and AK. Bus service seems bery spotty, and that IS NOT a complaint about the drivers in any way shape or form, they are doing the best they can with what they have got to work with. Light rail has a big problem, it is at grade so it has to compete with and cross roads and traffic ways. Subways and elevated guidways work best not because they are technically superior (although I think they are) but because there is no waiting for cross traffic and quite literally nothing to get into an accident with. No matter how jammed the roadways are, no matter how badly the guests are driving, the monorail will not colide with any of them. Fewer delays, fewer injuries, and I believe no deaths.

Victor Kelly
05-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Actually, we have elevated sections of lightrail here in Baltimore. Subways are out of the question for Disney in Florida due to shallow ground water levels.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
05-27-2007, 11:40 PM
I like the PRT idea too. I always thought it would be cool to have family sized pods take you where you wanted to go ala the rail system in The Incredibles.

Monorail_Red
05-28-2007, 07:52 AM
It is 100% true that the monorail was intended to pass through the Swan & Dolphin hotels. I think that there was going to be a station put in between the two buildings.

When EPCOT was built, there were foundations put in for the pylons (pillars) to expand the monorail through the Swan & Dolphin and to where MGM I think when it was built. I'm not sure when the foundations were put into MGM, but I'm positive they are there.

If it were to be expanded, EPCOT would become the central hub, rather than the TTC. the TTC would be the hub still for the current system. It would probabally be two separate systems with tow separate staffs and a separate shop, etc. The current shop is landlocked and expansion of it is out of the question. Monorails could not be switched between systems. There would be two monorail reds, yellows, etc for each system. Probabally two different types of trains too, maybe Mark VIII for the new system.

TheRustyScupper
05-28-2007, 10:14 AM
1) I like all the monorail talk.
2) But, I doubt it will ever come to be.
3) There is no cost-justification for more monorail.
4) And Disney does NOTHING with cost justification.
5) More monorail
. . . would not add more guests to the parks
. . . would promote more park-hopping *
. . . reduces crowd flow control flexibility
. . . not easily adjusted for increases attendance
. . . not easily adjusted for decreased flexibility

* Park hopping is not a good thing for Disney. That is why the extra charges for Hopping. It means adding staff for short periods of time, which is inefficient.

battlefield2freak
05-28-2007, 04:45 PM
currently there is no plans on replacing the existing monorails with new models, at WDW that is.

last fall they replaced the carpet with hard laminate floors, they also installed new handrails and leanrails. new bright white LED's are replacing the yellow LED's. they also replace the center fold down seats with four thin floor- to-ceiling posts as well. all of that has been done on momorail lime.

they are also finsihing the installation of the new touch screen driving consoles on monorail blue. i suspect what they did on lime will carry on into the other trains.

Monorail_Red
05-28-2007, 04:52 PM
last fall they replaced the carpet with hard laminate floors, they also installed new handrails and leanrails. new bright white LED's are replacing the yellow LED's. they also replace the center fold down seats with four thin floor- to-ceiling posts as well. all of that has been done on momorail lime.

they are also finsihing the installation of the new touch screen driving consoles on monorail blue. i suspect what they did on lime will carry on into the other trains.

Yes, to increase monorail capacity, Monorail Lime is testing a new compartment arrangement. There was a two week trial. During that period, Monorail Lime was operating on the Express Beam.

I believe all the monorail trains have been upgraded to the touchscreen controls execpt for Orange. I'm assuning that they upgraded Monorail Lime when they worked on the new compartment arrangement.

sly1
05-28-2007, 05:50 PM
I seriously doubt there will be a monorail expansion anytime in the near future due to the reasons given previously. I would like to mention though if Walt were still with us the monorail would go to every park. He wouldn't have it any other way.

Monorail_Red
05-28-2007, 05:54 PM
I seriously doubt there will be a monorail expansion anytime in the near future due to the reasons given previously. I would like to mention though if Walt were still with us the monorail would go to every park. He wouldn't have it any other way.

I agree, Walt was all for the monorail.

joelkfla
05-28-2007, 09:09 PM
I agree, Walt was all for the monorail.
I think Walt was more of a transportation nut than specifically a monorail fan. He saw monorails as the future of transportation, so he was excited to install the "first daily operating monorail system in America."

I think if Walt were alive today, we would likely see some other futuristic form of fixed guideway transit linking the remaining parks -- perhaps PRT, which is, after all, the evolution of the People Mover.

joelkfla
05-28-2007, 09:22 PM
I wish they would expand the monorail to include DTD (and I have no problem with using a guest key/pass to access it) and AK. Bus service seems bery spotty, and that IS NOT a complaint about the drivers in any way shape or form, they are doing the best they can with what they have got to work with. Light rail has a big problem, it is at grade so it has to compete with and cross roads and traffic ways.
WDW has a severe shortage of bus drivers, which may be one reason service is spotty.

I understand that a new GPS-based bus dispatch system is currently in the process of implementation. Hopefully that will help to get buses where they are needed more reliably. I believe the system is being phased in with completion planned for this fall.

As for light rail, while it is technically feasible to elevate stretches, I hope Disney would never do that due the negative aesthetics. A monorail beam is nearly invisible compared to a structure supporting two full-width railroad tracks.

MickeyDreamer
05-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Well you never know what will happen at WDW until it happens, but if fuel prices continue the way they are it may some day make the monorail more cost friendly. I am sure
WDW has a contract for fuel and they get a really good price even for the natural gas, but eventually those contract prices will continue to rise as the fuel continues to be in short supplies as they say at the rate we use fuel there is only enough left on the planet for about the next 50 years or so depending on what they continue to find. So eventually maybe not in our day but in our childrens days WDW will have or need to expand its tranportation options.