PDA

View Full Version : How Will 11 Month Old Do On These Rides?

andypooh
05-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Will be in DL June 30-July 4 with our 11 month old son. How do people think he would handle the following attractions: enchanted tiki room, haunted mansion, POTC, alice in wonderland, snow white, roger rabbit CTS? Is he allowed on tomorrowland autopia or is he too young?

BrerGnat
05-21-2007, 11:54 PM
I have a 14 month old and an almost 3 year old who have both been going to DL since they were each around 4 months old.

I have to say, your baby's temperament will GREATLY influence which rides he will do well on. For example, my youngest does NOT like the dark, so most of the dark rides are out for us as a family. He gets scared with loud noises as well, and many of the Fantasyland dark rides are dark AND very, very loud.

I can give you my experiences with my boys on the rides you mentioned:

enchanted tiki room--well liked by both my kids at 11 months. Grab a bench by the EXIT door, and know that you can just leave mid-show if you have to. Be prepared for the thunderstorm (it happens after the build up with the drummers and chanting tikis...you can kind of sense when it will come)--have your baby close, and perhaps cover his ears when the thunder starts and talk to him softly to keep him calm. I've never had to leave this show...both my kids have always loved it.

haunted mansion-I'd avoid this one. My oldest hated it when he was around 1 and I won't even attempt it with my 14 month old, since he hates the dark. The actual worst part of this ride is the "stretching room", the lights go out completely, there is a loud scream, augmented by the guests screams, very loud thunder, lightning, and then the shot of the hanging corpse. Just something I don't think a baby needs to experience.

POTC-This one is iffy. The problem with it is that it is significantly LONG, with a lot of nothing to look at, especially in the beginning caves. My oldest got restless and my youngest screamed and cried during the ENTIRE 18 min ride. Needless to say, I don't want to repeat that again. You are captive there and if your baby doesn't like it, everyone in the boat suffers.

alice in wonderland-This is a GREAT ride. Your baby should love it. Lots of bright colors and a short outdoor portion. Lines can get VERY long, so get there early

snow white-SKIP THIS! It will be tempting with the short line it always has, but it's full of darkness, a scary witch, thunder/lightning, skeletons, and NOTHING remotely joyful to look at. My oldest (almost 3) did NOT like it recently, and he's a very easy going kid.

roger rabbit CTS Should be fine, but it is dark and lots of loud noises and bright lights.

He will NOT be allowed on Autopia. Minimum age is 1. You cannot have a child on your lap on this ride, they must sit on the seat next to you...not very safe if you get rear ended.

I can tell you what your son will MOST DEFINITELY love, based on my extensive experience:

-The Carousel
-Casey Jr. Circus Train
-Goofy's House/Play Area in Toontown
-Jungle Cruise
-Buzz Lightyear
-It's a Small World (even if you don't want to, do it for the kid!) ;)
-The Disneyland Railroad
-Winnie the Pooh
-Teacups (but don't spin them!)

If you are also going to DCA:
-A Bug's Land
-The water play area in A Bug's Land (bring a change of clothes, extra socks, and extra shoes)
-Redwood Creek Challenge Trail Play area
-Playhouse Disney show
-Monster's Inc ride

tinkwest
05-22-2007, 10:06 AM
BrerGnat covered this so thoroughly that I don't have much to add except to agree that Snow White's Scary Adventures has that name for a reason. Both of my kids found it scary when they were young. Also, Pinocchio's Daring Journey has some sudden noises that are loud and my DD, for several years, rode through the whole thing covering her ears.

I was instructed by my kids to let them know when we had passed all of the skeletons (or at least the obvious ones) on POTC. Up until that point they would ride with their eyes closed! I watched one couple spend the entire ride exhausting themselves by pointing out to their toddler anything that would distract him from the fact that they were in the dark. ("Look honey, it's a bright, shiny exit sign.")

*tinker_belle*
05-25-2007, 03:12 PM
My three year old cousin was scared of Snow white and Pinnochio, both of those are questionable as to whether they are actually "childrens rides" not too suitable for the younger crowd IMO.
I'd like to add that Dumbo and the Storybook Canal boats are also great kids rides. Most of the cute, colorful rides in Fantasyland are kid friendly. Winnie the pooh is also cute but a tad scary in the Heffalump part.
Overall, there are many things in the park that an 11 month old would enjoy. Just the sights and sounds around them will get them excited enough. I would bring childrens earplugs just in case, you never know when you will need those.
Have a fun trip!

BrerGnat
05-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Of course Dumbo, I totally forgot! Maybe it's because we've only been on it ONCE. Those long lines are a killer!

The Storybook Ride is okay, but older toddlers appreciate it much more. For the babies, it's mainly a very slow, sort of boring ride in the sun. Not the best way to spend your time, especially since the line is always EXCRUCIATINGLY long. It's a Small World is a boat ride that your 11 month old is SURE to love, and it's indoors, which is a plus in the hot sun of summer.
:thumbsup:

Disney Babe
05-27-2007, 12:36 AM
I would like to add the Horse Drawn Trolley to the list of rides your baby will like. Sit up in the first or second seat where your baby can see the horse. You can talk to the driver about the horse and then talk to your baby about him. The horse's name is in the trolley with the years of service, just like he is a cast member. You are allowed to have the child gently pet the horse after the ride. It's a nice pleasant ride for child and parents. I believe there is a place at the back of the trolley where you can stow a folding stroller, or maybe you can leave your stroller there and take a different trolley or vehicle back to your staring point. They stop at Town Square in Main Street and in front of the Castle.

I also think that the Tarzan Treehouse would be a nice choice, if it is open. Within the tree there are depictions of scenes from the Disney Tarzan movie. It is particarly sweet to see baby Tarzan cuddled by the gorilla (forgot her name.) Seems like a good place to go and have a little sweet talk about mommies and daddies loving their babies.

I totally agree that the Haunted Mansion is no place for a baby, mostly because of the crowding and noise in the stretching room. Often guests get out of hand with screaming or talking in there. It freaks ME out sometimes.

BrerGnat
05-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Tarzan Treehouse is closed indefinitely. Just wanted to add that.

snifflesmcg
05-31-2007, 03:42 AM
Years and years ago when my family went on vacation, our first trip my little sister was only 7 months old and 19 months the second trip. She rode all the Fantasyland attractions. Nothing bothered her. Of course every child is different so only you know how they will react. I say go for something fun like the Tiki room or Small World and work up from there.

andypooh
06-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks everyone for the input so far. This will be very helpful.

LibertyTreeGal
06-18-2007, 05:57 AM
I would ditto much of the above, and add that POTC has two long drops that might be shocking for a little one because they are going to be completely unexpected. Also, he might find Davy Jones in his face a tad bit scary. :thedolls:

Tiki room should be fine, and in fact downright enjoyable :thumbsup:

Anything dark is a big risk, of course, even with babies who generally don't mind the dark. Most babies who do well in the dark haven't had to deal with loud noises and flashing lights and big surprises in the dark, so be warned that a child who doesn't fear the dark today might just be afraid after a trip to DL.

Start mild and work your way up the scary factor ladder. :mickey: