PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a brief visit?

Ed
05-21-2007, 06:18 PM
DW and I are making our first DL visit early next month, and we'll only have about a day and a half to check out the parks - a Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday.

Being complete DLR neophytes, we're looking for some candid suggestions of what we should definitely see and what really isn't all that great. In-park dining suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

:mickey:

mook3y
05-21-2007, 06:45 PM
You might consider taking a tour.

The Blue Bayou restaurant is really good food and great atmosphere, it is inside the building where pirates of the caribbean is. Like eating an evening meal on the bayou.

The matterhorn is only at DLR it is a must do!

Melanie
05-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Ed, you're gonna want more after such a brief visit. ;)

So many of the rides offered at both WDW and DL are superior at DL. Definitely Space Mountain, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Buzz, the Railroad and all of the Fantasyland rides. And absolutely don't miss the DLR exclusives - Matterhorn and Indy, and in Fantasyland - Alice, Mr. Toad and Pinocchio.

Being that you are limited time-wise, I personally would skip Splash, Jungle Cruise and Pooh.

I like Blue Bayou for the atmosphere for sure. Food is fine, but expensive. It's a good thing for newbies. Carnation Cafe on Main Street is a good place for breakfast.

Are you doing California Adventure at all? I won't recommend Aladdin since you are short on time, but it's wonderful. Definitely do Monsters, Inc., Tower of Terror, and even peek into the Animation Building if you have time. I also don't miss Soarin', but except for the more superior queue (IMO), it is the same as at WDW. And California Screamin' is my favorite coaster in the world. Everyone needs to loop around a giant Mickey head at least once in their life! :mickey:

Consider eating in Downtown Disney. It's soooo close to the parks. Ralph Brennan's and ESPN Zone have always come through for me. Good eats!

I hope you guys have a great time! We'll be there early next month as well. :mickey3:

Belle619
05-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Consider eating in Downtown Disney. It's soooo close to the parks.

I agree with Melanears - for dinner options go with DTD (which is much closer at DL than at WDW) they have great restaurants for every price range.

On our first/last trip we had roughly about the same amount of time in the parks and I have to say that it is doable. We went for a full day at DL and half day at DCA. Don't get me wrong, DCA is a great park and I loved it, but we were able to do it so quickly because I'm a scardy-cat who didn't care to ride ToT or California Screamin'!

In that time frame though, we were able to ride all the rides at DL except for the Matterhorn which closed down at the time - but I'd be lying if I said we weren't rushed!

My advice - definitely do the rides that are not at WDW and the ones you know you'll love and it's ok to not do everything because then you have a great reason to have to go again!

We'll be there 5 months from tomorrow - can't wait to finally ride the Matterhorn!!!

Ed
05-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Definitely Space Mountain, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Buzz, the Railroad and all of the Fantasyland rides. And absolutely don't miss the DLR exclusives - Matterhorn and Indy, and in Fantasyland - Alice, Mr. Toad and Pinocchio.

Are you doing California Adventure at all? ... And California Screamin' is my favorite coaster in the world. Everyone needs to loop around a giant Mickey head at least once in their life! :mickey:

I hope you guys have a great time! We'll be there early next month as well. :mickey3:

Alas, the website says that the Railroad and Mr. Toad are both closed for renovation. :(

You can bet we'll be doing every coaster we can find, especially California Screamin' !

Mel, what dates? We'll be there the 6th and 7th, leaving noon on the 8th.

Melanie
05-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Mel, what dates? We'll be there the 6th and 7th, leaving noon on the 8th.

We'll be there on the 7th and 8th, so we'll have to find each other on the 7th and say hi! :)

I see you guys are staying at Paradise Pier. I really like that hotel, and hope you will too! Hope you get a Theme Park View. :thumbsup:

Chescat
05-22-2007, 09:03 PM
I would go along with everybody else. Space Mountain, Indy, Pirates, Mansion, Roger Rabbit, and walk through New orleans square. Check out the new Pirates Lair that Mufasa just gave us the latest update on. In DCA I like the rapids ride if you don't mind getting wet, Screamin', Soaring, Mulholland Madness, and Monsters Inc.

If you get to Disneyland first thing in the morning, you should be able to get on most rides. The kids here are mostly still in school and the people don't start showing until around noon time.

If you are in a hurry, I don't think you'd want to spend your time at Blue Bayou since between waiting for you table and eating the meal, you lose at least an hour there. I happen to like the French Market to eat. You can listen to the Jazz band and we have had a few VMK meets there. I also eat at Redd Rockets were they have Pizza, Pasta and salads. Its right there by Space Mountain.

I think you both will miss the big crowds starting on June 9th with Nemo opening on June 11th. I'm hoping some of us are there on June 6th or 7th to get our Passholder ride of Nemo. Unfortunately you have to be a passholder to come with us. :(

ddcrna
05-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Ed, you're gonna want more after such a brief visit. ;)

So many of the rides offered at both WDW and DL are superior at DL. Definitely Space Mountain, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Buzz, the Railroad and all of the Fantasyland rides. And absolutely don't miss the DLR exclusives - Matterhorn and Indy, and in Fantasyland - Alice, Mr. Toad and Pinocchio.

Being that you are limited time-wise, I personally would skip Splash, Jungle Cruise and Pooh.

I like Blue Bayou for the atmosphere for sure. Food is fine, but expensive. It's a good thing for newbies. Carnation Cafe on Main Street is a good place for breakfast.

Are you doing California Adventure at all? I won't recommend Aladdin since you are short on time, but it's wonderful. Definitely do Monsters, Inc. :mickey3:

I agree, EXCEPT that Aladdin is well worth your time IMO. Skip the sitdown eateries - We found Rancho del Zocalo to be very good - real dishes, and cafeteria style, so quick in and out.
Have fun!!:party:

Disneyluvr2
05-26-2007, 05:23 PM
OK, here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. Since you have such a limited time, I would not go to Downtown Disney for meals. This will take too much time away from the park. The French Market, Plaza Inn, Pizza Port and Rancho del Zocalo all have good food. If you want to experience the Blue Bayou but don't want to spend the time or money for a meal, make reservations and just go for dessert. You still get the experience without spending as much time or $$$. Go EARLY, stay LATE and have FUN!