PDA

View Full Version : yavn.... Makes me want to yell....

varcity
05-21-2007, 06:04 PM
This is all I have to say about his update right now....

iwefonasdobcaoefbowaebfobwe (edited for explitives)

5/21 – UPDATE! It's time for another edition of Yavn Speaks, this week some major VMK news so fasten your seat belts.

You Came and You Played

I hope you're enjoying the new Pirates of the Caribbean Quest, and the rewards of multiple Quest completion – we've had a lot of fun creating these in-Park Quests but as the old saying goes, all good things must come to an end… so it's with a heartfelt sigh that I announce the in-Park Questing portion of VMK will be ending at Disneyland on June 3rd, 2007. Yep, when the Park closes on Sunday night, June 3rd, VMK Central will close and no longer redeem any Quest or distribute Rewards.

So hold on, before you start sending me and the Walt Disney Company hate mail, let me explain why this is happening. First of all, I'm sure many of you will remember the VMK Tour, the Fantasyland Quest and other VMK in-Park Quest and Rewards – then you'll remember that we've continued to change the way the program has run over time. Secondly, the in-Park Quest and Rewards were only meant to be temporary – in fact, we've gone well beyond the original time we planned to run the Quest and Rewards in-Park at Disneyland.

The game is still enormously successful and continues to run strong – and you'll still be able to Quest in-Park at Walt Disney World – but VMK, like Disneyland and our other Parks is constantly changing. Our thanks go out to all the Players and Cast Members that have supported the program over the last few years – and remember we will still continue the in-Park Quest and Rewards program at Walt Disney World.

I'm sure you have questions, that's why I've prepared this handy Q&A:

Why is this happening?

VMK was launched for the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland. The game has been enormously successful but the in-Park Quest and Rewards were only meant to be temporary – we've gone well beyond the original time we planned to run the Quest and Rewards in-Park at Disneyland.

Can I turn in Quest to Disneyland after VMK Central is gone?

No.

Can I take my Disneyland Quest to Walt Disney World?

No. Walt Disney World doesn't have the same rewards or a system in place to take the Disneyland Quest.

When is the last day I can play or redeem a Quest at Disneyland?

The last day you can play or redeem a Quest at Disneyland is June 3rd.

So I won't be able to get any more VMK Cards at Disneyland?

The regular Reward Cards that you receive as prizes for completing Quest won't be available after June 3rd, but there will still be select merchandise locations (like The Magic Shop on Main Street) that will have merchandise cards (like the Magic Mirror) available at those locations. Look for more announcements related to this program in the future.

Does this mean VMK is going to end?

No. The game continues going strong – and we've got some exciting additions coming in the next few months – so stay tuned! Plus, you can still go Questing in-Park at Walt Disney World.

Your Comments – Answered
Did you notice that the reward for the print-from-home Tomorrowland Quest, the Inner-Space Suit Magic Spell is now non-tradable? Or how about that you can now nominate a Best Game/Quest or Guest Room? Just click Contact Us (located at the bottom of any VMK webpage) follow the prompts, and then select 'Nominate the Best' from the list of options. These are changes we making in response to your suggestions to make VMK better!

I should also remind you that we're still deleting accounts – so if you've got a VMK account that hasn't been played in a while, you should log on to keep the account active. Once we delete accounts there's no way we can recover your character or your stuff, so stay connected and keep your account VMK live.

One more thing to mention – we aren't taking any applications for Community Leaders right now. If you see a new Community Leader that application came from a pool of applications that were taken before we stopped taking CL applications.

*END UPDATE*

varcity
05-21-2007, 06:06 PM
double post yay.

So, am I reading this wrong, or is chescat, monkey, genie, tink, and all our other DLR people going to have a bone to pick, so well choosen words to say, and some true inferno going on? This is just the icing on the cake for me, the game always was modeled after WDW, never really reminded me of DLR as much.

Bad joke if it is one. I'm kinda mad right now. Going to wait for other people to reply before I say anymore.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-21-2007, 06:15 PM
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I understand your reaction varcity! I would put all of this in caps but I don't want to annoy people. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I'm clicking like mad now. I can't believe this! First of all, why take away VMK Central in DLR when they're not taking it away from WDW? The only reason why I go to DLR (take out the rides) is for the "redemption." Second, why would they take it out when it draws a small population of people who play VMK to DLR because they want to get their prizes? Not only does it not make sense, they're kind of breaking a small tradition of a great VMK idea. I bet the quest items I've been looking for are going to soar to a hundred in value. I doubt that I will go to DLR and claim my Mickey TV before it ends. VMK you will get this! :thedolls: :thedolls: :thedolls:

Jedi.Princess
05-21-2007, 06:17 PM
They don't really give much notice, do they? I'm very new to VMK; do they do this often? Just suddenly stop doing things, cut things off?

One thing that makes me a little uncomfortable is how he said VMK was really only launched for the 50th anniversary celebration. He says that no, VMK is not shutting down, but who really knows? I bet they never really said the in-park quests would end either. Makes me wonder....

varcity
05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Doll, if you could get your pass to someone by next friday we can turn it in. i'll be there with cat, genie, and monkey. I do think quest stuff will soar in value including mickey tv and red space codes.

Also wanted everyone to meet Jedi.Princess. I converted her to Intercot this week! Welcome to the dark side Jedi. :mickey:

Any smilies do not mean that I am now happy. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

LittleDragonErin
05-21-2007, 06:43 PM
:mad:

I'm utterly speechless right now.

Well, no, that's not true. I can say something, but it would't be appropriate on a Disney site.

I will say that I cannot see much good reason to go to the park now as often anymore.

Chescat
05-21-2007, 06:59 PM
:fit: :angry: :bang: :fit: :angry: :rant:

So why exactly did they even bother to make new quests for us a few weeks ago.

So does this also mean we lose the cave? I mean when the locals go to the park, we spend money on meals and usually pins.

I was concerned about the Nemo Submarine and all the queue lines when they said they were closing innoventions for some of the days. So if the decision was to get rid of the booth, why can't they just do it inside like they do during the rain. Does this mean the animation desks will also be gone?

I'm going to stop, before I go further. :blowup:

LittleDragonErin
05-21-2007, 07:07 PM
I just gave Monkey the bad news and his response was simply, "Guess I'm going to be saving money from buying pins every other week."

WDWfanatic742
05-21-2007, 07:07 PM
They don't really give much notice, do they? I'm very new to VMK; do they do this often? Just suddenly stop doing things, cut things off?

One thing that makes me a little uncomfortable is how he said VMK was really only launched for the 50th anniversary celebration. He says that no, VMK is not shutting down, but who really knows? I bet they never really said the in-park quests would end either. Makes me wonder....

Yes, VMK was made specifically for the Happiest Celebration on Earth and was only supposed to run for the 18 (or 12?) month period. The game became a huge success and that is why we are still in the game now.

Funny how they invested the most money into building the cave and the booth at Disneyland while we had $20 computers and wallpaper plastered everywhere at Magic Kingdom. This is one that I don't think I will ever get and it seems the entire VMK community is about to go into a riot over this.

Seems that something is getting a bit fishy, and I'm interested to see these next few month's for the history of the overall game because this seems like a major cutback.

terri.m
05-21-2007, 07:19 PM
out of respect for this site, i'll keep my opinion to myself

well maybe after I calm down a bit i'll start into my rant.

I'm just in the midst of booking a trip in Sept to DLR. I'm going to have some VERY disappointed kids when i tell them about this %*#@

Chescat
05-21-2007, 07:27 PM
I just gave Monkey the bad news and his response was simply, "Guess I'm going to be saving money from buying pins every other week."

Tell Monkey we'll have our final meeting at the VMK when Varcity comes down.

I've been reading some of the other sites to see what locals are saying. Its fishy they came out with new quests around first of May. They just updated the booth with all new stuff. Its still not fair that one park gets it and the other doesn't. He also doesn't announce this before the space suit becames non-tradeable.

Two things are coming out of all the decisions. First, they found they are making money on those Pirate VMK pins. For some reason its big right now for a few Mystery VMK pin sets. Maybe they are doing that. Also they are allowing virtual stuff to be sold on eBay. I don't get that either.

Second, maybe they are going to start charging us to play VMK or the budget has been pulled on VMK for the outside stuff. If they start charging, I'll spend the money on Pirates-on-line instead.

I do think the thought is, they are going to have lots of people coming to DLR this summer for the Nemo Ride and the Pirates Lair. And they don't need promotions to bring people in. They need the man power for those areas.

Still makes me want to scream. At least this saves me gas. :mad:

Beaches and Cream
05-21-2007, 07:46 PM
As many others have said on many other fansites, the writing is clearly on the wall.

The management is probably very unwilling to support this anymore. I kind of get the feeling that his emphasis and implications on "created for the 50th celebration" is a hint hint poke poke nudge nudge at the fact that VMK is closing ultimately.

I've decided to just come to face reality and realize that VMK is closing. We knew it wouldn't last forever, and albeit fishy, it is very clear as to what is going on here.

Kind of leaves me feeling like :mad: and :confused: and :( .

LittleDragonErin
05-21-2007, 08:34 PM
The irritating part is that he says he'll explain yet he doesn't. He dances around the question making excuses for why they should be able to close VMK Central in DLR. He does bring up the "will VMK close" point though. And he mentions the in-store cards are still available. I'm going to go with...

VMK sells for good money on Ebay. Pirate pin cards are selling pretty well (even spawning other mystery pin packs in similar fashion). The Disney movie rewards thing actually got people to buy more DVDs. The Stitch reward package got people to use Disney Travel over the other available options to book trips. So rather than free swag, we pay for it. Sounds like the marketing team is doing some restructuring to me.

varcity
05-21-2007, 08:58 PM
arg, here I go again. I really feel it is closing. Going from weekly to bi-monthly yavn speaks columns means to me he is less focused on the game, but for what reason? Perhaps fighting for the existance of the game, and his job. But then why not tell us all to email in and say to keep VMK running.

I like Dragons idea of purchasing cards over giving cards. I would expect an online card store, but then there will be people selling the cards for profit as well. A good marketing plan would be selling cards in park...

He really does beat around the bush. I am so confused on why WDW is getting the special treatment (sorry to the east coasters). To only allow WDW to get quest items, it makes DLR people have to fight hard for them raising prices tremendously.

Cat, Im thinking you me and monkey start a protest friday afternoon in front of the booth? My second idea is handing filled out quest sheets to guests who dont play to get us all maximum cards. lol.

I just don't get it. I just booked my trip through disneyland for the stitch card alone. It alone attracted me to the park through them. I could have gone through AAA for 50$ cheeper.

This carried on too long. Im hoping someone steps up this week sometime for an update and major explanation.

sigh

Chescat
05-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Cat, Im thinking you me and monkey start a protest friday afternoon in front of the booth? My second idea is handing filled out quest sheets to guests who dont play to get us all maximum cards. lol.
You laugh I got a better idea. We put Erin in front of us and say, hey everybody, do the quest for us and you get her autograph. (Monkey can keep her from running away). :thedolls:

Wow and all of this coming up on the anniversary of VMK. Go figure. :shake:

Patricia
05-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Hmm.. interesting turn of events.

First, I have to disagree that the game is modeled on WDW. It's very Disneyland like and doesn't resemble the Magic Kingdom all that much.

Although this news doesn't surprise me, I'm not sure why they are leaving it opened in WDW. It's intention was gamevertising to attract visitors during an 18 month period. Possibly, the higher amount of people using the cave in DLR are locals, where as in WDW more players from other areas would dominate VMK Central. If DLR isn't making any any extra money from the quest promotion they would likely redirect their advertising budgeting. Of course leaving the cards where it states "free with purchase" was a wise money making decision for the shops.

Blue Genie
05-21-2007, 10:25 PM
This now makes me not to get the Mickey TV. So now how are we DLR VMK'ER to get the rest of the Mickey stuff when and if they come out. And what will happen if VMK does close down for good. We will lost alot of friends from this. It now gets me now why all of a sudden they are deleting VMK names from VMK. Is this the next step of saying VMK is no more?

WDWfanatic742
05-21-2007, 10:33 PM
I guess us Floridans will have to get all of these cards? :eek:

Lazarus_long
05-21-2007, 11:00 PM
I can't believe this :mad: :mad: :mad: Need to take a small break.

Ok, back now. Why would they let us get the first two cards of a thirty card set (series three) and one card of a four card special set and then pull them all away?

I have been playing since beta, at first it was only because my brother and I liked the few games, but being a huge card collector, when they started making cards I was hooked and so was the rest of my family. I don't play too often anymore, mostly I just log on so I don't get deleted and maybe do a new quest. Mostly I am in it for the cards and the quest pamphlets. Now I don't know if it will be worth it, I will wait and see how difficult it is to trade for any future Florida only cards, if I can't get them then I don't think that I will be playing any more. :sadwave:

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Doll, if you could get your pass to someone by next friday we can turn it in. i'll be there with cat, genie, and monkey. I do think quest stuff will soar in value including mickey tv and red space codes.

Ty varcity for the generous offer. But the only times where we'll buy the pass is when we actually go to the park, because for my family the "redemption" thing is like second choice. We usually go for the rides, then tackle VMK Central when all the FastPasses are burned out. :blush: Thank you though :)

WDWizard
05-22-2007, 12:19 AM
I agree with Patti. I assume that they stopped doing quests at DLR because over at DLR you have more of a local crowd that visit the parks frequently but at WDW you have more of a tourist crowd that visit less frequently. Since DLR locals visit the parks frequently, they do more quests and get more of the cards, prizes, ect.- giving DLR locals an advantage over the average VMK player or the average WDW tourist. Another reason could be that DLR locals do the quests so much that they memorize the answers and dont do the quests for the fun of it, while at WDW, if you dont use cheat sheets like me ;), you actually have to find the answers.

I know a lot of you DLR locals will be disappointed, and so will I because I was looking forward to doing a few DLR quests this summer:(
So is everything VMK leaving Disneyland for good?

jjramsey
05-22-2007, 07:26 AM
We have never been to DLR, but I can definitely say:

OUCH!!!!!

...on this one.

LittleDragonErin
05-22-2007, 01:54 PM
I say we pull a Slinkyman and make flats of everybody who can't go and then march them around the kiosk in protest! Hee hee!!!

Chescat
05-22-2007, 02:02 PM
I've seen arguments going back and forth about this. People say hey the DLR people get more stuff than the WDW.

Okay think about it. How many people really go to WDW more than once or twice a year. Not that many locals that I have seen at least on here. Yes us DLR people go more often. We had to wait every 90 days. But think about it, how many of you have gotten stuff from DLR people since you couldn't go to WDW. So think about it this way, all the stuff that the DLR people got it now gone. So there will probably be 1/4 of the stuff out there that was once out there. Your trading will be ridiculous and probably forget about getting most things.

So with us DLR people not in the "economy" anymore. Who actually loses.

Chescat
05-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Going back to the main subject of why?

I think Disney execs probably went through the park recently and tried to decide what cast members they can divert to the new Nemo ride and the new Pirates Lair. All of this is happening in a very short period of time. Pirates Lair opens this weekend supposedly, and Nemo they are predicting a soft opening the weekend before Jun 11th. It costs money for them to have people at the VMK booth. They change shifts a lot there and there are many in Innoventions. If these cast members can now be moved over to the Nemo lines for crowd control, that makes more sense for their bottom line.

DLR does not have to bring people into the park this summer with all this new stuff coming in. VMK is an advertising tool for the parks. DLR has always been the test market since we are close to Disney On-line and studios. It costs them money to print those cards and continally ship them from Florida to Anaheim. They may have looked at the numbers and said, hmm mostly passholders are turning in these quests, not ticketed people. Time to pull the plug Yavn.

The test market recently was the VMK Pirate Pins. They have done very well with sales on that. You can also order them online which actually makes it available to all users of VMK, not just the people that go to the parks. I see more VMK Mystery Pins and VMK Card Packs coming out. They will test it here first and see if these masses buy the product before they go online with the sales. If they do, then I bet the quests in WDW go away also. I hope they do give us something for buying Disney pins, I spent way too much. :cool:

I could even see them re-doing the cave a bit and having and area in there where you could purchase VMK stuff (pins, cards, etc). Then you go over and create your character. The vmk booth outside was trying to get foot traffic. I think they found it wasn't making much of a difference.

The only positive in something like this would be, people everywhere can purchase the stuff, not just the people near the parks.

Patricia
05-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Sadly the items will be fewer but I don't think this is a VMK decision based on trading and making things rare. You can bet Yavn doesn't want to lose his job, nor is he making this decision. I seriously doubt we can blame him, if anything he's probably had his plug pulled.

This looks like management at DLR saying forget us paying for advertising that isn't making a bit of difference to our bottom line. Trust me they are paying attention to how much revenue they are getting from the passes going through VMK Central. If it's mostly players using "annual passes" they are not going to keep footing the bill. The whole idea of gamevertising is to bring in new people during a promotional event. If the numbers aren't there to support it, they aren't there. :(

Patricia
05-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Looks like I was typing while cat was posting.. sorry if it gets repetitive.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-22-2007, 06:43 PM
And what will happen if VMK does close down for good. We will lost alot of friends from this.

I agree Genie. Not only that. I spend how many hours on VMK? (My whole life) on it, and if it closes.. all those hours where I could be breathing fresh air instead of crossing my eyes all the time :P And this VMK board is the only one I post at. If there's no VMK, there's no board, and that practically means that I can't post here anymore :(

cheshirecollector
05-22-2007, 06:59 PM
If there's no VMK, there's no board, and that practically means that I can't post here anymore

Doll, even if something were to happen to VMK and this particular section of Intercot, Intercot isn't going anywhere. You'll still have a home board for all things Disney. It's too early to worry about VMK, though. Didn't yavn mention something about another big build soon? That may still be coming, even though there isn't anything in the actual park.

Chescat
05-22-2007, 07:47 PM
I agree with Venetia. These sections won't be going away. I also don't believe that VMK is going anywhere. Servers cost money as we have seen in our Intercot Server Drive. There are programmers, testers, and VMK staff/hosts to pay. Remember previous newslettter said some staff reorganizations. Marketing budgets probably are going in different directions at the parks.

Disney has a cash cow here if they can just figure out how to make a profit with it. I think they are going that direction. The change in the start of selling virtual stuff on eBay could be interesting also. Maybe it would have to do with selling the card sets/pin sets on eBay. We are buying DVDs to get Movie Rewards.

Doll & Genie, none of us are going anywhere. We are all family here, with or without VMK. Your stuck with us for a long time. :)

Jedi.Princess
05-22-2007, 10:43 PM
The change in the start of selling virtual stuff on eBay could be interesting also. Maybe it would have to do with selling the card sets/pin sets on eBay.

I really don't know why so many people think that they're allowing virtual items to be sold on eBay. I watch the VMK listings on eBay every day, and everytime any virtual items are listed, they are promptly pulled within 24 hours, if not sooner. The only things that are sold on eBay are the actual cards and pins, and occasionally someone will try and sell the answers to quests. So I don't really think that's a valid point. Just my two cents' worth....

:mickey:

Blackwater_Pirate
05-22-2007, 11:18 PM
So, based on what I just read, would it even be worth it to say

'Why dont we start a petetion, have everyone who is disturbingly depressed that the VMK booth at DLR is closing sign it, write "calmly" to VMK about the situationa t hand and give them the petition and ask if we can atleast have a little more time and have them not close it June 3, 2007 but June 28, 2007 instead?'

I dont know what else to say but, Curse It!

Chescat
05-23-2007, 03:27 PM
I have written to them calmly actually. I'm sure its out of their hands and in the hands of Disney Parks. They won't delayed it since Find Nemo is going to overtake everything in Tomorrowland starting around June 9th. I would just like it to be fair all around where everybody has a change to get the things whether you live by a park or not. :)

jjramsey
05-24-2007, 07:30 AM
If they are saving money by reassigning staff, then why not set up a couple of FASTPass machines that will give out VMK codes once per pass by day, week, month or three months, per pass, without requiring turning in a quest answer card or sheet.

Machines could be in a store or a special location in the park. What is to say they could even float around every day to a ne location to make it the 'quest' for a machine. Maybe a line could be printed on the daily/weekly schedule sheet that has a riddle/clue where to find the VMK codes.

The items received from the code could be random, fixed or change at a regular interval. They could save a tremendous amount of having cast members attend the cards...then they could be a little more generous with their virtual prizes :mickey:

varcity
05-24-2007, 11:52 AM
If they are saving money by reassigning staff, then why not set up a couple of FASTPass machines that will give out VMK codes once per pass by day, week, month or three months, per pass, without requiring turning in a quest answer card or sheet.

Machines could be in a store or a special location in the park. What is to say they could even float around every day to a ne location to make it the 'quest' for a machine. Maybe a line could be printed on the daily/weekly schedule sheet that has a riddle/clue where to find the VMK codes.

The items received from the code could be random, fixed or change at a regular interval. They could save a tremendous amount of having cast members attend the cards...then they could be a little more generous with their virtual prizes :mickey:

I'll go for just about anything right now... :mickey:

As I have taken 3 days off to study for finals yesterday, I have been able to relax myself and realize that nothing is as bad as it seems right now. I think the only reason why it feels so see-rappy right now is because no one was delivered any information. So upon reading ideas for selling pins for quest cards and other marketing tools, I decided that that is the best we can hope for right about now. It does hammer the point home when he made the announcement that if you buy some candy at pooh's corner or a magic gag at the magic shop you still get cards. VMK is just a better source of income that originally intended. IDK, hopefully we get a REALLY long newsletter monday explaining. :mickey:

GiltterDisneyGirl
05-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Wow am I glad I didn't win the disney dream job contest, I would have be ticketed off when i got to disneyland to find VMK central GONE. But at least I am a AP for WDW. :D

Chescat
05-24-2007, 04:49 PM
It does hammer the point home when he made the announcement that if you buy some candy at pooh's corner or a magic gag at the magic shop you still get cards.
He didn't actually say the candy store. We haven't seen the card for buying the pins for the 50th or have we seen the 50th t-shirts anymore (since as he reminds us, the 50th is over).

And last two times I've gone back there to the pooh candy shop to get a certain person his gummi characters and red licorice wheels, they never had the cards! :mad:

Varcity sounds like we got a mission next week. Check out the candy shop after Splash. Its open again! :mickey:

TinkRocks
05-24-2007, 04:52 PM
...None of us are going anywhere. We are all family here, with or without VMK. Your stuck with us for a long time. :)

What have I got myself into?? :rolleyes:

PinkJJ
05-24-2007, 05:10 PM
What have I got myself into?? :rolleyes:

Aww, Rocks, you know you love us and can't live without us. :yes:

varcity
05-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Anyone reminded of Hotel California right about now? I want to sing...

I wasn't thinking splash would be open till after my trip! But I guess now it's summer months so it's time to open. Now I am overly excited, as stated in my other post as well. Gives us all the only reason to truely visit criter country. Hmm, seems kinda third world, doesn't it? :thumbsup:

Chescat
05-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Actually Splash was down for new hydraulics for a few months. So I guess we get to be the crash dummies for that. :)

I guess Genie and I will be the reporters on the ground to find out what's going on at DLR with VMK. Erin & Monkey, we want to hear a report from tomorrow what Monkey finds out.

LittleDragonErin
05-25-2007, 03:58 AM
Aye aye Cap'n!!!

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-25-2007, 08:09 PM
So I guess we get to be the crash dummies for that. :)

I can help with that :swim:

MonkeyBoyJoe
05-26-2007, 02:54 AM
Was at the park today with my cousins and saw our favorite VMK CM. She told me that they don't know yet how they will be rotated when the kiosk gets removed. So we're not the only ones in the dark. All the cards are well stocked still, so whoever said the Red Space Suit is out was wrong. The Mark Twain was covered up and stowed, so it's not functioning. Big Thunder broke down while we were there, but I'm sure it was up and running again later in the day. The sea gulls at Nemo's Subs are talking and quite annoying when you wait in line for the Matterhorn. (I can only hear "Mine mine mine!" so much in one day.) And the music for Space Mountain and California Screaming are back to normal.

Oh and for anybody going to DLR and planning to eat $30 worth of food or more, don't forget the collectible coins in New Orleans Square. It's the 9 Pieces O' Eight which look really cool. Also at the French Market they were giving out free POTC3 movie posters. Really cool looking. Full cast on one side, Sparrow solo on the other.

Pirate's Lair is also open but from what I saw it still looks the same as before but now the do a stage show on Lafayette's Landing. They set up bleachers for people to watch or you can watch from across the river (a la Fantasmic).

And that's all the news from your local Monkey Pirate. ;)

Chescat
05-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Mission a success for Genie and I. Ice I got a surprise for you. :D

Spent an hour on Pirate Island/Cove/they're not sure what to call it yet. Have to say I really like it. I caught the end of the show from the shore side and its great! :thumbsup:

LittleDragonErin
05-27-2007, 03:06 AM
Monkey forgot to mention Splash Mountain was still down the other day too. O_o

:oh and there's a new Dragon CM lanyard series I never heard about that came out 2 months ago! AAAAHHHH!!! Four pins...Maleficent, Pete's Dragon, The Reluctant Dragon and Mushu (who apparently is very difficult to find). Roar them for not telling me in advance. AND..where's FIGMENT?! O_o

bigpapiortiz34
05-27-2007, 10:26 AM
I knew once I read this, there would be an uproar on here! I am so mad about this. I don't want to sound to repetitive, but I would just like to mention a few points.

1. Could this be the end of VMK all together? He did say in the newsletter VMK was made for the 50th celebration (and the celebration has ended)...Also, like Varcity said, Yavn is not posting the newsletters every Monday as much as he used to anymore. I find this strange why his is not doing this. Maybe, he is working on bigger and better things for VMK and that's why he can't write to much as he used to anymore. I don't know, I just feel its time for this great game to end after this :( :(
2. I find that VMK is more closely related to Disneyland then WDW. So I find it funny that they are basically taking VMK out of Disneyland.

All I ask is why? Could the reason be because in DLR, locals can go there and don't spend as much money on hotels and such as in WDW, where mainly tourists go and spend more money? I bet this is all for money matters, and Yavn just does not want to say: 'We are loosing money, so we decided to take the DLR VMK booth out'.

Anyways, I am very sorry for all of you that lost the booth. Lets all plan a trip and meet up with signs saying, "bring VMK back" and "We will hurt you if you don't". I bet in the next week or so, Yavn is going to get a whole lot of hate mail. Yes, and all if it will be from me :thedolls:

Patricia
05-27-2007, 02:12 PM
If you want to write letters about the closure, you'll probably need to go higher than Yavn. This would have to be a Disneyland decision, not VMK. He'd also be unable to shed any significant public light on the desicion. Disney is pretty hush-hush with internal matters. You could stop by Guest Services at DLR and drop a line with your concerns.

Also, don't forget, VMK is "gamevertising", simply a tool to advertise the theme parks. Once an advertising campaign has run it's course and isn't having positive results anymore, it's over. It really is supposed to have positive monetary value (yes, it's about money in this case) or it's just a useless expence.

On a side note: I do think (in the future)they could charge a small fee like Club Penguin and keep it going ...but.. it may not be worth it to them with Pirates sailing out on the horizon.

I think for now we should assume it will be staying. They haven't announced anything aside from the booth closing.

Relax and enjoy for now.. and be nice to poor Yavn, he doesn't make in park decisions.

:mickey:

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-27-2007, 02:34 PM
The Mark Twain was covered up and stowed, so it's not functioning. Big Thunder broke down while we were there, but I'm sure it was up and running again later in the day.

Is it just me or is the major rides with FastPasses are always breaking down? In November my family and I went and I think Matterhorn was closed. Then the next time in I think April we went again and Splash Mountain was closed. Is it just me having a bad day? :P